Darryl Sutter new head coach

The_Tribal Chief

2 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Let’s look at the so called "easy part" of the schedule.

Since Dec 9 (your date) Flames have 6 regulation time losses in 21 games.

14 of 21 games (2/3) were on the road with trips to CLB, TOR, MTL, SJx2, ANA, LA, SEA, WPG, CHI, STLx2, DAL, NAS.

They zig zagged across the continent flying 21,937 km, often arriving in hotels or home after midnight.

7 of the 21 games (1/3) were played at home vs VANx2, STL, EDM, NYI, COL, TB.

They had 3 non game days over Christmas break.

They finished 9 W, 6 L and 6 OTL during this time.

I guess we could criticize their OT record while playing 3 on 3 or in the shoot out but that part of the game is non-relevant come playoffs.

Other teams are greedy, they want points too while playing in front of their home crowd.

DS needs to continually find ways to keep his team focused over the gruelling 82 game schedule.

Expectations here need to be tempered because there is no easy part in the schedule.

That record is about a .571 points %.

It doesn't matter what the playoffs have as OT format if we can't make the playoffs.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Instead of a stupid !Blockchain Eric Francis clickbait sound-byte, here's the whole interview.

Has everyone not gotten on board that Sutter almost never gives praise to any one player? Harken back to last year with each guy on the top line hitting milestones, he completely swept it aside.

"Jakob Pelletier, what # is he"? That's priceless.

Does anyone know any lifelong hockey player with really tender feelings?lol

That line is funny, but not nearly as funny as the reaction of fans whose feelings are hurt.

Such a 2023, "oh no, consider his feelings", reaction. Life sucks, get a helmet.

Here's what Dube had to say about Pelletie...

Dube on Pelletier’s debut: “He looked great. That whole line looked great — him and Walks (Walker Duehr) and Lew were awesome. They played with a lot of speed. They had a lot of chances early on in the game. Honestly, I think they got us going”

I don't think anyone is expecting to hear Sutter say the kid had a good game.  But Sutter claims the game is played for the fans, and he gave the fans the middle finger.  Perhaps it was the media he raised the digit to, but the fans are the ones listening.  Hear the roar when Pelletier took the lonely skate as first guy during warmup?  

As long as Sutter says to the guys in the room the things that bring together the team, public comments only mean things to the fans.  If a guy like Dube is saying that outwardly and the coach isn't acknowleging it in the room, then the team may start to take sides.  You would have to think that class guys like Huberdeau and Weegar would start to wonder.

Last nights game was enjoyable to watch. To me the presser looked like Sutter was trying to be funny, like some have said. It’s like when your grandpa is trying to be funny and you’re kind of laughing, kind of wondering if he’s serious. It was one of those moments. 
Someone else said that they all probably laugh about the pressers later together over dinner. I think that this is very true, I also think Sutter is not a Francis fan, and gives him garbage on purpose, lol (I love that). 
For me regarding the coach, if you look at the bench at the end of the game after Hubie scored the empty netter. He came over and leaned in between Looch and Hubie and said something that made them

both laugh. That’s not a coach that is losing the room, he is doing what he needs to, to build a winner.

Also Pelletier had PP time, I think that tells you everything you need to about how Sutter feels about him.

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Personally, if I was a regular player and I heard the coach dismiss the effort in public of a rookie, I would be pissed.  That shows no class.  Go watch Rudy and see what players feel about guys that practice hard and because of their size won't get a fair shot.  

In film its a nice story, highly inaccurate about his impact on the team and his popularity, and the relationships between the two coaches.  Good story as is but Hollywood needed a few additional touches for effect

33 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

Last nights game was enjoyable to watch. To me the presser looked like Sutter was trying to be funny, like some have said. It’s like when your grandpa is trying to be funny and you’re kind of laughing, kind of wondering if he’s serious. It was one of those moments. 
Someone else said that they all probably laugh about the pressers later together over dinner. I think that this is very true, I also think Sutter is not a Francis fan, and gives him garbage on purpose, lol (I love that). 
For me regarding the coach, if you look at the bench at the end of the game after Hubie scored the empty netter. He came over and leaned in between Looch and Hubie and said something that made them both laugh. That’s not a coach that is losing the room, he is doing what he needs to, to build a winner.

Also Pelletier had PP time, I think that tells you everything you need to about how Sutter feels about him.

With my limited lip reading skills I think he said;

“You 2 men are riding north with me tmrw to find that travel_dude. When we get there, Luc is gonna hogtie him and confiscate his keyboard and Hubs you’re gonna put a bit in his mouth. On the way back we’ll stop at the ranch and do a little steer wrestling and bull riding. Rendezvous at first light".

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

With my limited lip reading skills I think he said;

“You 2 men are riding north with me tmrw to find that travel_dude. When we get there, Luc is gonna hogtie him and confiscate his keyboard and Hubs you’re gonna put a bit in his mouth. On the way back we’ll stop at the ranch and do a little steer wrestling and bull riding. Rendezvous at first light".

I think Sutter said "So for either of you to score the net has to be empty"?

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2023 at 10:13 AM, travel_dude said:

As long as Sutter says to the guys in the room the things that bring together the team, public comments only mean things to the fans.  If a guy like Dube is saying that outwardly and the coach isn't acknowleging it in the room, then the team may start to take sides.  You would have to think that class guys like Huberdeau and Weegar would start to wonder.

Pelletier was asked about the public comments, but he wouldn't respond to how he felt about them, one way or the other.  He did say that the coach told him that he had a good game and that his minutes were dictated by special teams.  As much as that makes sense, Lucic was also off the ice for a full 5 minutes.  

As long as Pelletier is receiving positive comments for good play and his ice time fits his performance relative to the rest of the players, it's fine. 

I get that Sutter uses the media as a tool and just in general doesn't like the media and agree he was trying to be funny but I didn't like it. I think it was in poor taste, showed a lot of arrogance and quite frankly was an embarrassing clip for the franchise.  To me it reeked of arrogance that no media person or fan is going to tell me how to view a player and him feeing like he needs to keep us in check, which is absolute not his job as the coach of the team. I also think it robs fans the chance of a quality hockey answer, that once in a while Sutter will give. 

I just thought it was a really bad look for him and for the organization. There is a lot of space to operate in between the "Pelletier is the greatest prospect ever who had a great first game" and "don't talk to me about the kid he has a long way to go" paths. Not worth ripping him over and I don't think it means anything in terms of the relationship Sutter has with the franchise, I just think it was a poor look. 

Edit: To add to this I would say generally this strategy is a poor look and IMO Sutter needs to tone it down with the media. I'm not suggesting he has to like them or do what they say but I also don't think he needs to go out of his way to talk down to them either. I wish he would fine that line because I think he has a few moments this year where it's just not necessary and honesty it takes away from some of his very good answers. So this isn't just contained to the one clip for me. 

In a few years the fans and media will be far more ruthless on this guy, #1 on that list will be Mr. Francis, Mr. Valji won't be too far behind, just food for thought while we take our anger out on the guy who was too small and couldn't perform when it mattered and was always destined to head to Philly.   I think its a slap in the face to the team to have the media focus on that when as a team they bounced back against a good team and went 6-6 against the #2 PP in the league.  The kid has the talent, the attitude and work ethic, he will be fine without the hand holding. 

• Like 1

Perhaps I took more offense than some fans, but I still feel he was giving the middle finger to the fans.  May not have been his design, but some fans have been calling for AHL scorers like Phillips and Pelletier to get a chance.  And when they do, we still get the "this is not the AHL" or the "needs to gain weight and strength" or the complete lack of discussion about the player.  We get the "remember you experts last year telling me the same thing" and "5 minutes of 5v5 and some PP time".  

When the biggest story coming out of the win over Tampa is that the coach dismisses the player's impact and can't remember who the player was, then we have a media relations problem.  Like it or not, the fans consume all the discussion and stories about the Flames, good and bad.  And we have prospects in Calgary exposed to the same content.  We have a dynamic unsigned prospect in the NCAA that may be looking at news about the team.  This is the wrong type of story to feed the media.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Pelletier was asked about the public comments, but he wouldn't respond to how he felt about them, one way or the other.  He did say that the coach told him that he had a good game and that his minutes were dictated by special teams.  As much as that makes sense, Lucic was also off the ice for a full 5 minutes.  

As long as Pelletier is receiving positive comments for good play and his ice time fits his performance relative to the rest of the players, it's fine. 

Did anyone watch his presser this afternoon? As he indicated how can you form an opinion on the little the kid played? People can't handle the truth.. Everyone wants puppies, rainbows and sugar fairies in these press conferances. I get where Sutter must get frustrated. To have to answer questions from fools after being emotionaly engaged in battle, his answers IMHO are pretty calm some nights. If anything with Sutter its probably best to have him not sit in front of a mic after a game.  Put Muller or Huska out spread peace and harmony throughout the lands. Let them blow smoke up everyones Hash Rate that all is well in the kingdom all shall be given free passes. Simple, only allow Sutter to answer pregame questions. His answers are more thoughout and more cuturally accepatble for the 2000+ plus new genders we now have.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Did anyone watch his presser this afternoon? As he indicated how can you form an opinion on the little the kid played? People can't handle the truth.. Everyone wants puppies, rainbows and sugar fairies in these press conferances. I get where Sutter must get frustrated. To have to answer questions from fools after being emotionaly engaged in battle, his answers IMHO are pretty calm some nights. If anything with Sutter its probably best to have him not sit in front of a mic after a game.  Put Muller or Huska out spread peace and harmony throughout the lands. Let them blow smoke up everyones Hash Rate that all is well in the kingdom all shall be given free passes. Simple, only allow Sutter to answer pregame questions. His answers are more thoughout and more cuturally accepatble for the 2000+ plus new genders we now have.

Thanks for your narrow minded view of people.

Sutter needs to put on his big boy pants if he wants to work in a NHL city with great interest in the team.

Want to be funny?  If you don't land the joke, then say never mind that wasn't a good one.

The press hangs on his every word, since he says so little sometimes, so no wonder he is misunderstood.

I have watched a ton of his pressers and there have been so few gems this year.

Most of it is flushable.

At the start of the year, he was a lot more professional and would explain things.

It appears that he is losing it, and can't face the media now.

BTW, please be careful what you say about gender.  That is not appropriate here.

It's your opinion about non-hockey things.  

Have to agree with Craig Button, Sutter did bad by Pelletier…no if, ands or buts about it!

this is the one thing I have never liked

about Sutter…his absolute horrid style with young players, and over confidence in vets…

Having a said this, he gets results…and pelts will get load of respect from Sutter if he puts in his time on the whipping table, no different than Manji, Dube Gaudreu and Tachuck…things is, I’m not 100% convinced that route is the proper one for every young player…or needed for that matter 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

it isn't about blowing smoke. You can constructively analyze a game. Travel will look at Lucic and say he is this or that, I can see the good things he does when he does them, maybe Travel does too, but his job isn't to develop a player and not make him feel like every mistake going to be his last breath. I'm not anymore or any less capable of seeing things than Travel is, I get annoyed by players too and crit them more than others. 

Sutter just has to say, we could only give him 6 min due to specialty teams and maybe when he gets in he will get a chance he can play in those situations depending on how close the game is.... it was his first game, glad for him to get in. It's a special time...

27 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Have to agree with Craig Button, Sutter did bad by Pelletier…no if, ands or buts about it!

this is the one thing I have never liked

about Sutter…his absolute horrid style with young players, and over confidence in vets…

Having a said this, he gets results…and pelts will get load of respect from Sutter if he puts in his time on the whipping table, no different than Manji, Dube Gaudreu and Tachuck…things is, I’m not 100% convinced that route is the proper one for every young player…or needed for that matter 

All of the media are saying that. It's a story they can run with and that's what they do.

The whole episode is laughably inconsequential and no longer recognizable due to being totally blown out of proportion.

It's a 10 second soundbyte and!Blockchain Eric Francis started crying so the media found a story to tell.

Question. Did Friedman's breaking the Boudreau story lead to Boudreau's humiliating exit?

Coaches are hired to coach, not to appease the ridiculous press vultures.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

All of the media are saying that. It's a story they can run with and that's what they do.

The whole episode is laughably inconsequential and no longer recognizable due to being totally blown out of proportion.

It's a 10 second soundbyte and!Blockchain Eric Francis started crying so the media found a story to tell.

Question. Did Friedman's breaking the Boudreau story lead to Boudreau's humiliating exit?

I think you missed a few key points in my post…

to be clear, Sutter has always been really hard on younger players, to a point of being demeaning and even disrespectful…we have seen this years ago and it’s not changed. If there was 1 thing to make him the perfect coach it’s this one thing he can and really should change…how many times have we seen the “Lucic type vets” get passes and the better more skilled young guys take heat or be pushed aside as just a number and body on the bench when they actually out played those Sutter vets?

how many games could have been wins if that one thing were changed? Many, many many games…

again, that’s the one fault of Sutter always has been always will be…

BUT it’s hard to fault him too much cause at the end of the day Sutter gets playoffs and also gets playoff results so, it’s just frustrating as fans to watch how much better the team could be but also knowing without Sutter the team would be a whole lot worse 

1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

I think you missed a few key points in my post…

to be clear, Sutter has always been really hard on younger players, to a point of being demeaning and even disrespectful…we have seen this years ago and it’s not changed. If there was 1 thing to make him the perfect coach it’s this one thing he can and really should change…how many times have we seen the “Lucic type vets” get passes and the better more skilled young guys take heat or be pushed aside as just a number and body on the bench when they actually out played those Sutter vets?

how many games could have been wins if that one thing were changed? Many, many many games…

again, that’s the one fault of Sutter always has been always will be…

BUT it’s hard to fault him too much cause at the end of the day Sutter gets playoffs and also gets playoff results so, it’s just frustrating as fans to watch how much better the team could be but also knowing without Sutter the team would be a whole lot worse 

Can someone give me a solid link of the ex-coaches and trainers and players that all say this about working with Sutter? I hear the media and fans talk about him that way, but not much from actual former associates.

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Can someone give me a solid link of the ex-coaches and trainers and players that all say this about working with Sutter? I hear the media and fans talk about him that way, but not much from actual former associates.

No but I found something quite the opposite.

Drew Doughty has praised Darryl Sutter's coaching ability, calling him one of the best coaches he's ever had. He has said that Sutter is extremely knowledgeable about the game and has a great understanding of the players and their needs. He also said that Sutter is passionate about the game, and he brings a lot of energy to the team.

Anze Kopitar has praised Darryl Sutter's coaching, saying that he is one of the best coaches he has ever had. He has said that Sutter is detail-oriented and has the ability to bring out the best in his players. He also said that Sutter has the ability to motivate his players, and he is able to get the team to play with passion and energy.

Jarome Iginla has praised Darryl Sutter's coaching, saying that he is a great leader and motivator. He has said that Sutter knows how to get the most out of his players and has the ability to get the team to play with intensity and focus. He also said that Sutter is a great communicator and is able to get his point across clearly.

Jeff Carter has praised Darryl Sutter's coaching, saying that he knows how to get the best out of his players. He has said that Sutter is an excellent communicator and is able to motivate his players to play at their best. He also said that Sutter is able to make adjustments on the fly and is able to make strategic decisions that help the team win.

Jonathan Quick has praised Darryl Sutter's coaching, saying that he is a great leader and motivator. He has said that Sutter has the ability to get the team to play with passion and energy and knows how to get the most out of his players. He also said that Sutter is detail-oriented and has a great understanding of the game.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

No but I found something quite the opposite.

Drew Doughty has praised Darryl Sutter's coaching ability, calling him one of the best coaches he's ever had. He has said that Sutter is extremely knowledgeable about the game and has a great understanding of the players and their needs. He also said that Sutter is passionate about the game, and he brings a lot of energy to the team.

Anze Kopitar has praised Darryl Sutter's coaching, saying that he is one of the best coaches he has ever had. He has said that Sutter is detail-oriented and has the ability to bring out the best in his players. He also said that Sutter has the ability to motivate his players, and he is able to get the team to play with passion and energy.

Jarome Iginla has praised Darryl Sutter's coaching, saying that he is a great leader and motivator. He has said that Sutter knows how to get the most out of his players and has the ability to get the team to play with intensity and focus. He also said that Sutter is a great communicator and is able to get his point across clearly.

Jeff Carter has praised Darryl Sutter's coaching, saying that he knows how to get the best out of his players. He has said that Sutter is an excellent communicator and is able to motivate his players to play at their best. He also said that Sutter is able to make adjustments on the fly and is able to make strategic decisions that help the team win.

Jonathan Quick has praised Darryl Sutter's coaching, saying that he is a great leader and motivator. He has said that Sutter has the ability to get the team to play with passion and energy and knows how to get the most out of his players. He also said that Sutter is detail-oriented and has a great understanding of the game.

But how can this be?lol Where are the dirty rumours about favouritism and hating prospects?

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Obviously, Sutter felt he needed to explain his lack of comments on Pelletier.

He suggested that you can't evaluate a player on 440 seconds of play.

Only thing he could go on was stats sheet.

Well, if he felt that way just say it.

Would have been a nothing story.

Fans would not take it any way but a lack of evaluation.

I thought Friedman had a better take on the whole situation.

Last year, the intense playing style was successful in getting the wins.

Players don't tire of the hard arse if they are getting results.

This year, the hard arse is there, but results not always following.

Coach keeps pushing on the players and it's wearing thin.

At some point you need to soften the message.

Tough love works for some player, not all.

Every player is different.

As far as Boudreau, the stupid part is that VAN GM tells the media at the coaching change announcement that he talked to Boudreau this morning and decided to make a coaching change.  This, the Monday after the Saturday night tear jerker.

18 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yes it did, I don't think the Canucks are saints in this matter but teams do negotiate with coaches before making a move official quite often, we did it with Sutter and the team made the announcement public so that these dipSatoshi Nakamotos don't make Ward feel like a deadman walking.  All of Friedman, Seravalli, Dreger, etc, are scum, how about letting teams notify players before breaking trades, or coaches being fired, that's human decency or how about not ruining a brand new teams expansion draft reveal party by naming all the picks the day of the event just because you want followers.  I hate myself a little every time I go to their twitter pages.  I like watching the games, but I'm getting more and more tired of the reporting of the games as its just become TMZ.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Yes it did, I don't think the Canucks are saints in this matter but teams do negotiate with coaches before making a move official quite often, we did it with Sutter and the team made the announcement public so that these dipSatoshi Nakamotos don't make Ward feel like a deadman walking.  All of Friedman, Seravalli, Dreger, etc, are scum, how about letting teams notify players before breaking trades, or coaches being fired, that's human decency or how about not ruining a brand new teams expansion draft reveal party by naming all the picks the day of the event just because you want followers.  I hate myself a little every time I go to their twitter pages.  I like watching the games, but I'm getting more and more tired of the reporting of the games as its just become TMZ.

Yeah, those GM's are such high character guys.  Firing a coach via a text message as he travels with the team.  Trading a player one day, after talking about what a face of the franchise he is previously.  Oops, forgot to tell the player.  Or a GM making a trade with a guy that has a NTC, only to come to him last minute to ask him.  

VAN had to wait for the coach to be released from his obligations.  That was before they could make it official.  Not talking to the old coach shows a lack of class.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, those GM's are such high character guys.  Firing a coach via a text message as he travels with the team.  Trading a player one day, after talking about what a face of the franchise he is previously.  Oops, forgot to tell the player.  Or a GM making a trade with a guy that has a NTC, only to come to him last minute to ask him. 

My favourite is when they trade players mid-game ala Mike Cammalleri, and Matt Duschene.

Love.