Darryl Sutter new head coach

The_Tribal Chief

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Spiderman?

Sutter may have unfinished business.  What is that?  Avenge the 2004 loss?  WIn a cup?  Turn the Flames into perennial contenders?  Win 2 cups?  He talks like he loves the farm, but when it's hockey season, the farm runs with people he put in place.  Will he stay?  He seems to be interested as long as the team moves the right way.

Stupid interweb. Link removed.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Spiderman?

Sutter may have unfinished business.  What is that?  Avenge the 2004 loss?  WIn a cup?  Turn the Flames into perennial contenders?  Win 2 cups?  He talks like he loves the farm, but when it's hockey season, the farm runs with people he put in place.  Will he stay?  He seems to be interested as long as the team moves the right way.

Without trying to say to much, he alludes to a confused org when he got here and looked around.

Guys (Vali) being forced into roles that they're not ready for type stuff. The team not having good enough fitness levels, that type of stuff. The man of few words alludes to that kind of stuff very matter-of-factly.

I liked the off season moves of fixing what's ailing us, needing better bottom role players, making the farm a place to compete rather than the aura of "not good enough" type stuff.

He's set a lot of things right imo, not just the team, but the org.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Without trying to say to much, he alludes to a confused org when he got here and looked around.

Guys (Vali) being forced into roles that they're not ready for type stuff. The team not having good enough fitness levels, that type of stuff. The man of few words alludes to that kind of stuff very matter-of-factly.

I liked the off season moves of fixing what's ailing us, needing better bottom role players, making the farm a place to compete rather than the aura of "not good enough" type stuff.

Okay, that is what I heard in several interviews.  He's much more open in his day after interviews than game nights.  He still has issues trying to eliminate the stuff that ailed the team.  Some revert to the things they used to do at times, and I think we see that a bit some games.  Not a lot.  It's not complicated.  Win the draw or get the puck.  Keep the puck.  Create chances.  Go to the soring areas.  When something isn't there, make the simple play.

The team has done nothing yet.  That is the big point.  Get to the playoffs and take it to the next level with this team.  

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think there is a balancing act to this personally. Sutter is incredibly smart but he isn't perfect nor  is his plan something that an organization should adopt 100%. I think its worth remembering that this organization ran with his philosophies for over a decade and there were plenty of holes in that process. 

I agree and like the comments he made around fitness, dedication and accountability and I think it was getting pretty obvious that this organization was falling behind in that area. I think the organization actually has the right path and ideas when it comes to how they use their farm team, draft, develop and how they challenge players so I think they should be very cautious with just letting Sutter take full control there. That area was a disaster here when he was the GM. 

but to you original idea I have no problem with Sutter staying on as a "consultant" or whatever if he is done coaching at the duration of his contract. He is a smart guy and if nothing else keep him around to work with the coaches. Tons of knowledge to share there I'm just less keen on his ability to run an organization or to aid in the running of an organization.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think the Trevor Lewis add was one of the most key adds of the off-season.  A player came in with experience under Sutter and showed the rest of the team what Sutter hockey is all about.  I know Lucic had Sutter experience too but Lewis made competition in the bottom 6 a real thing.

He does all the little things: like in the LA game, his line takes an icing so he went to the bench because his skate laces were off and had the trainer fix his skates up for him.  Play stopped for 3 minutes for him.  Everybody got rested for the faceoff.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think the Trevor Lewis add was one of the most key adds of the off-season.  A player came in with experience under Sutter and showed the rest of the team what Sutter hockey is all about.  I know Lucic had Sutter experience too but Lewis made competition in the bottom 6 a real thing.

He does all the little things: like in the LA game, his line takes an icing so he went to the bench because his skate laces were off and had the trainer fix his skates up for him.  Play stopped for 3 minutes for him.  Everybody got rested for the faceoff.

I think they actually showed the equipment guy trying to fix his plastic ankle guard.  Ref gave him quite a bit of leeway there.  It was smart.  Lot's of teams try the old swap a guy while the puck is being iced.  

We need a little more offence right now.  As much as Sutter expects Backlund to score like he used to, I think it's best to have him on a good shutdown line.  Both Mange and Toffee got chances, but they were more singular effort.  Create that ideal shutdown line and go from there.  Call it 2nd or 3rd line, doesn't matter, give the minutes as required and earned.  Coleman is the guy that should be there with him.  The 3rd person depends.  Need enough speed in case Backlund gets a rush chance.   

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Okay, that is what I heard in several interviews.  He's much more open in his day after interviews than game nights.  He still has issues trying to eliminate the stuff that ailed the team.  Some revert to the things they used to do at times, and I think we see that a bit some games.  Not a lot.  It's not complicated.  Win the draw or get the puck.  Keep the puck.  Create chances.  Go to the soring areas.  When something isn't there, make the simple play.

The team has done nothing yet.  That is the big point.  Get to the playoffs and take it to the next level with this team.  

the thing is, Sutter alludes to the things that used to ail the team sometimes too. It’s not just us. That might be his coaching though. 

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think there is a balancing act to this personally. Sutter is incredibly smart but he isn't perfect nor  is his plan something that an organization should adopt 100%. I think its worth remembering that this organization ran with his philosophies for over a decade and there were plenty of holes in that process. 

I agree and like the comments he made around fitness, dedication and accountability and I think it was getting pretty obvious that this organization was falling behind in that area. I think the organization actually has the right path and ideas when it comes to how they use their farm team, draft, develop and how they challenge players so I think they should be very cautious with just letting Sutter take full control there. That area was a disaster here when he was the GM. 

but to you original idea I have no problem with Sutter staying on as a "consultant" or whatever if he is done coaching at the duration of his contract. He is a smart guy and if nothing else keep him around to work with the coaches. Tons of knowledge to share there I'm just less keen on his ability to run an organization or to aid in the running of an organization.

I think the team has been fine-good at finding talent through the draft and busted on a few picks. Before Sutter there were too many holes and not seemingly like a true focus. 

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

yup! I agree. Before we were a one line team and easy to shut down. I worry though that the team has gone cold, minus Gaudreau…

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think they actually showed the equipment guy trying to fix his plastic ankle guard.  Ref gave him quite a bit of leeway there.  It was smart.  Lot's of teams try the old swap a guy while the puck is being iced.  

We need a little more offence right now.  As much as Sutter expects Backlund to score like he used to, I think it's best to have him on a good shutdown line.  Both Mange and Toffee got chances, but they were more singular effort.  Create that ideal shutdown line and go from there.  Call it 2nd or 3rd line, doesn't matter, give the minutes as required and earned.  Coleman is the guy that should be there with him.  The 3rd person depends.  Need enough speed in case Backlund gets a rush chance.   

what about going;

Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk 

Mangiapane, Ruz/Dub, Toffoli 

Coleman, Backlund, Jarnkrok

Lucic, Ruz/Dub/Carp, Lewis

• 2 weeks later...

Damn I loves me a poignant Darryl, especially when he's caught being very poignant.

Excellent interview on the main page.

The question at 2:15 is a great answer. I have a handful of friends and acquaintances that got a sniff of the show. Then played overseas. You've got one fleeting and quickly extinguished shot is the commonality.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/sutter-130422/t-277437092/c-11347592

• Like 1

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Damn I loves me a poignant Darryl, especially when he's caught being very poignant.

Excellent interview on the main page.

The question at 2:15 is a great answer. I have a handful of friends and acquaintances that got a sniff of the show. Then played overseas. You've got one fleeting and quickly extinguished shot is the commonality.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/sutter-130422/t-277437092/c-11347592

I heard numerous great answers over the entire 10 min interview. But to your point.....don't rush the kids, they need to put the time in (preferably 2-3 yrs in the AHL) to learn how to play the right way. The exceptions are maybe the elite top round kids. 

8 hours ago, CheersMan said:

I heard numerous great answers over the entire 10 min interview. But to your point.....don't rush the kids, they need to put the time in (preferably 2-3 yrs in the AHL) to learn how to play the right way. The exceptions are maybe the elite top round kids. 

We haven't had anyone since Tkachuk that meets that standard.  It's not a slight, just the reality of picking in the late teens and twenties.  And that's forwards.  Mackey put in some years in the NCAA.  Zary is still young-ish by AHL standards.  Pelletier is ahead of schedule, but would benefit from some additional experience.  A long AHL playoff run will set him up pretty good.

Some of the older prospects are tweeners.

Phillips is too good for the 4th line, too small for the top 6. 

I think he could surprise, but he hasn't shown enough in camps to get singled out.

Gawdin is a bland player, but we can get that from a number of players.

Posposil is probably NHL ready, given he's more like a Hathaway than a Phillips.

Duehr hasn't lit up the AHL in either year.

He could be a NHL body, just needs to continue.

I see we signed an ex-NCAA player to a PTO in Stockton.

McNeely.

We now have a few from that area.

Midwest Mafia? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 11:40 AM, cross16 said:

No surprise here but Sutter is a Jack Adams finalist for coach of the year. 

I think he should win this handily. Brunnette might give him a run but I think Sutter should win. Gallant is a terrible nominee. 

We’ll time to update this…congratulations to the JA winner coach of the year! 

well deserved and over due! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wish he had more to work with when he arrived.  He squeezed everything out of what we had and this was the best we could do.  I hope BT and company realizes this and makes some bold moves this off season.  

1st in the Pacific and career years for every D plus 4 forwards.  The only downside to the season was the playoffs.  The two key failings in the playoffs were Tanev and Marky.  Don't need to replace those two.

Bold moves would be trading Hanifin, Tkachuk and Kylington.  That assumes he has no faith they will be part of the future.  Maybe Backlund, but that would be a 180 from where we were headed.    Improve on the D.  Get an upgrade at C.  Figure out what the 4th line needs to be.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Sutter needs to hire a new coach to replace Huska.

Huska hired as head coach of the Blackhawks

Appears that it was a inaccurate (or perhaps premature) report. It's since been refuted. Doesn't mean that he isn't a candidate but it does not appear to be a done deal, multiple people have confirmed. 

43 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Appears that it was a inaccurate (or perhaps premature) report. It's since been refuted. Doesn't mean that he isn't a candidate but it does not appear to be a done deal, multiple people have confirmed. 

Weekes backs off from his initial "report".  Now (reporting outside a men's room) he says coaching situation remains "fluid".  Poor choice of words outside a men's room.