Darryl Sutter new head coach

The_Tribal Chief

Wow, I wonder if management reads these boards after all!

I feel bad seeing this after a win, but at least it shows Tre has seen enough.  We’ll see how Sutter does though. He’s an old school, crash and bang coach. Not sure this is a Sutter team.

I'm shocked, really expected them to play out the season. 

I have a lot of respect for Sutter, and really didnt like Ward, but I don't like this move. This reeks of desperation and the owners finally getting their way. 

Hopefully he's adjusted some of his philosophies or he leans on Huska because his kings teams weren't great at the end and some of his philosophies outdated. He'll have to adjust with this roster but at the very least you should have a pretty bought in hockey team. 

1 minute ago, ABC923 said:

Wow, I wonder if management reads these boards after all!

I feel bad seeing this after a win, but at least it shows Tre has seen enough.  We’ll see how Sutter does though. He’s an old school, crash and bang coach. Not sure this is a Sutter team.

I’m interested to see what this means for Benny.

As mentioned Sutter likes the big physical bodies and Benny is that, was it a war do issue and can Sutter convince him to stay and play that role and at C or is it too far gone and Benny still wants out. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I'm shocked, really expected them to play out the season. 

I have a lot of respect for Sutter but I don't like this move. This reeks of desperation and the owners finally getting no their way. 

Hopefukku he's adjusted some of his philosophies or he leans on Huska be suse his kings teams weren't great at the end and some of his philosophies outdated. He'll have to adjust with this roster but at the very least you should have a pretty bought in hockey team. 

It is desperation, but our coach options were limited. If we were determined to change coaches, we needed someone already in Canada. Daryl is probably the best available under those circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Saymzies said:

I’m interested to see what this means for Benny.

As mentioned Sutter likes the big physical bodies and Benny is that, was it a war do issue and can Sutter convince him to stay and play that role and at C or is it too far gone and Benny still wants out. 

Sam is definitely a Sutter style player.  It could be a real boon for him.

2 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

It is desperation, but our coach options were limited. If we were determined to change coaches, we needed someone already in Canada. Daryl is probably the best available under those circumstances.

They gave him a 3 year deal. This year plus 2. This isn't a salavge the season move. 

Just now, cross16 said:

They gave him a 3 year deal. This year plus 2. This isn't a salavge the season move. 

Huh. Not sure what I think about that. On the one hand, it means this isn’t strictly a save the season move. On the other, it seems a bit panicked to do this now, and 3 years may have been the price we had to pay for Sutter now. 

I really hope that we trade Gaudreau this offseason. He’s the opposite of a Sutter player, and there’s no way he resigns here to play under him. If I’m putting on my optimist hat, this move signals the coming rebuild. Sutter is a very solid, defense first, work hard coach. He gets a lot out of power forwards and modest skill players, but typically stifles high skill players. Not a bad choice for young players learning to play the game right.

First of all, we need to change the title of this thread to "Darryl Sutter new head coach", and give Snowbear credit for starting it.

Second, No management does not follow what is said on these boards then react to it as some allure to.

Third, wish JW all the best, I think he is a good hockey man that would have sorted this out.

Fourth, I immediately smiled when I read the news.

Fifth, get used to 1-0 games, win or lose.

Sixth, everyone starts with a new slate, bring it or be gone.

Seventh, BT just hired his last coach.

• Like 1

I have a ton of respect for Darryl Sutter as a coach, but man I don't know if I understand this move. It would make sense to me if it was for the rest of this season, but the fact that he is under contract for 2 more seasons after this is surprising to me.

I wonder who called the shots on this, if it was ownership or Bean, I would have to think that isn't good news for Treliving sticking around. Most GM's don't get to hire this many coaches.

It will be really interesting how this team responds to this. 

The good is that Sutter is going to set pretty clear roles for everyone. He is going to make things really simple especially early on.

I'll be honest I have no idea what to expect the rest of the way. Still trying to wrap my head around this.Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

11 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I really hope that we trade Gaudreau this offseason. He’s the opposite of a Sutter player, and there’s no way he resigns here to play under him. If I’m putting on my optimist hat, this move signals the coming rebuild. Sutter is a very solid, defense first, work hard coach. He gets a lot out of power forwards and modest skill players, but typically stifles high skill players. Not a bad choice for young players learning to play the game right.

I think this is a huge misconception with Sutter. I actually see gaudreau doing well under him personally. As long as you pay attention to detail in the d zone and you play hard Sutter will find ways to make you better, win more games and be a team. He's a lot a really good communicator and not overly negative. 

This is also thr the guy who has a GM acquired the likes of Huselius, Cammalleri, Tanguay, Langkow etc. He's always seen the value in skilled players he just won't stand for bad efforts or forgetting your defensive details. I don't think Johnny will have a problem with that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The 3 year deal part is what is making me wonder if this came from above Treliving.

My first thought was it did. This feels like an ownership call. I could see Treliving wanting to fire Ward and maybe ownership said ok but only if Darryl is the guy. I'm very interested on how it played out. 

But it according to Pike the deal they gave Sutter matches Treliving recent extention. Which makes sense. 

• Like 1

Whoa! I missed a lot... passed out putting my kids to bed, missed the game, took a peek here to see a flames win and a coaching change?! Wow... 2 for 2 on the unexpected. 

I agree with most that this has ownership’s fingerprints all over it, however, I’ve been done with Wardo for a while now and I’m glad we have someone else behind the bench. I like what DS brings, and he also has cup pedigree now. It’s time to get this ship sailing right, and let any passengers walk the plank. 

nhl GIF by SB Nation

PS> thanks snowbear for breaking the news!

Lol....  I have a ton of respect for Sutter.   Frankly though, I did for Ward as well.

We are going through a rebuild whether Sutter likes it or not, that's gonna be hard on the old guy for the next 3 years.   Treliving setting some serious coach firing records lol

Well doing some research, during Sutter's last 3 years as coach of the Kings, they had the best CF% 55.57, the best SF% 54.63, the best xGF% 54.42, the best SCF% 53.74, the best HDCF% 54.95 all during that 3 year period. 

So I am going guess that this team is going to be possessing the puck a lot going forward. 

I don't know what this means long term, but I am starting to warm up to it in the short term.

I was watching TV after the game ended and just picked up twitter to see what people thought.

Would be lying if I said I was 100% shocked GW was fired, but it still was unexpected coming after literally no hint of it.

Is it an improvement?

Can't say, it's been so long since he was last here.

What I do think is he would be a good coach if we ever make the playoffs.