Darryl Sutter new head coach

The_Tribal Chief

Really positive spin by Button on TSN.

Maybe a little boas there, but he spoke about the positive things that Sutter can do, which match the things lacking.

Big job ahead, but he's a respected coach.

Lucic will have no problem with him.

Bennett may just have earned a new lease on life.

Hard to say, but I do think some things weren't sitting well with the GM or owners.

Interesting dynamic going into the Oilers game.

At least we know what the attitude coming out of the dressing room will be.

I am pumped.....actually excited to watch a Flames game again!  Called for Dutter after Gully and after Peters. Finally!  Makes absolute sense in my mind, the guy just wins. If he can’t turn this team around, this team ain’t turning around. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I was watching TV after the game ended and just picked up twitter to see what people thought.

Would be lying if I said I was 100% shocked GW was fired, but it still was unexpected coming after literally no hint of it.

Is it an improvement?

Can't say, it's been so long since he was last here.

What I do think is he would be a good coach if we ever make the playoffs.

Pretty sure no one is shocked Ward got fired.

Everyone is shocked Darryl Sutter is coming back though.  The guys 62.  Rode off into the sunset after two Cup rings.  I didn't think he would have the desire to coach again because there's really nothing more to prove. Given his age, I thought he would rather go do ranch stuff, retire, and be with family.

That's why this seems like a desperate move on the owners part.  Pretty sure ownership has a good relationship with the Sutter family and maybe asked Darryl for help personally.  BT likely wanted to fire Ward and wanted someone new but the owners probably said No... If it's a new coach then we get to pick him.   And the owners picked Sutter.  My guess anyways.

I honestly don't think Sutter is going to make a difference to this season.  We saw in LA, if he has the talent, then he can win.  In my opinion, we don't have the pieces in place.  We don't have RWs.  We could use a true #1 Center.

What can Sutter do outside of deploying a really tight defensive system to take advantage of Markstrom's goaltending and try to win games 1-0?  

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Pretty sure no one is shocked Ward got fired.

Everyone is shocked Darryl Sutter is coming back though.  The guys 62.  Rode off into the sunset after two Cup rings.  I didn't think he would have the desire to coach again because there's really nothing more to prove. Given his age, I thought he would rather go do ranch stuff, retire, and be with family.

That's why this seems like a desperate move on the owners part.  Pretty sure ownership has a good relationship with the Sutter family and maybe asked Darryl for help personally.  BT likely wanted to fire Ward and wanted someone new but the owners probably said No... If it's a new coach then we get to pick him.   And the owners picked Sutter.  My guess anyways.

It's also a clear message to BT. Sutter will be in 100% control of the bench and will have a strong opinion on trades.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What can Sutter do outside of deploying a really tight defensive system to take advantage of Markstrom's goaltending and try to win games 1-0? 

I think Sutter will get us back to the heavy forecheck similar to a NYI game.

Outside of Lucic and Bennett who would obviously benefit from Sutter's system is probably Brett Ritchie.  Sutter loves his role players who can go do the simple hit and grind so I think Ritchie will get full time minutes now.

Froese and Gawdin could also benefit at the expense of Leivo and Ryan.  There's enough muck there for Sutter to build that sandpaper in the bottom 6.

18 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

1) a rejuvenated Geo

2) You will see Tkachuk start to excel in his game without the frustration.

3) You will see Lucic with a more leadership roll possibly an A

4) 4 consistent lines rolling 

5) No effort No play

Somewhere tonight you have a Benny that can’t sleep, like he’s waiting to open his Christmas present. 

Benny turns the corner here and finds a consistent role....or he becomes a 4th line fill in for some team down the road

Sutter is a master motivator..

He will define each players role with their ability and within the system.

There will be no more floaters or inconsistant efforts.

At the end of this season managemrnt will know pretty much what this team and players are capable of.

there will no longer be a blender of lines looking for chemistry.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Sutter is a master motivator..

He will define each players role with their ability and within the system.

There will be no more floaters or inconsistant efforts.

At the end of this season managemrnt will know pretty much what this team and players are capable of.

there will no longer be a blender of lines looking for chemistry.

Exactly

• Like 1

Surprised they pulled the Wardo plug in this shortened season after just giving him the reins.  But.... it had to happen.  This must be the owners.  

I was a fan of DS as a coach but not as a GM.  As I look at the team and how they play I have to think this is a pretty solid move.  DS will get them engaged and make them more of a team but I wonder if he understands the importance of fitness. I am starting to wonder if this team is as dedicated as they need to be on that component of the game.  Their back to back effort and third period work raises questions.

Nice to see a solid and decisive move - thumbs up.  

• Like 2

a suprise move.

3 year contract also suprising to me.  I could understand help us out to the end of the season scenario and then go for a coach like Travis Green.

Time will tell.  How long a honeymoon period does Dutter the sequal get?

But welcome back DS and good luck

1 hour ago, 89Again said:

Surprised they pulled the Wardo plug in this shortened season after just giving him the reins.  But.... it had to happen.  This must be the owners.  

I was a fan of DS as a coach but not as a GM.  As I look at the team and how they play I have to think this is a pretty solid move.  DS will get them engaged and make them more of a team but I wonder if he understands the importance of fitness. I am starting to wonder if this team is as dedicated as they need to be on that component of the game.  Their back to back effort and third period work raises questions.

Nice to see a solid and decisive move - thumbs up.  

I fully agree DS as a coach awesome! As a GM not so much.

• Like 1

I found this article from 2014, pretty good read on what Sutter brings as most of you already know. I have copied and pasted a couple sentences from the end of the article and it sounds eerily familiar to where we are today. 

https://www.lamag.com/longform/ice-age-coach-darryl-sutter/

“But the players still didn’t have their coach, exactly. Three months into the 2011-12 season—when the Kings, supposedly a team on the verge, were sitting outside of a play-off spot, mired in a four-game losing streak—Lombardi fired Terry Murray and called Sutter....................

What the Kings needed was to be pushed in the way that Sutter knows how to push. Basically Sutter’s system came down to, Go fast or get off the ice.“

🍻 to the new flames, some of these you g guys better buckle in, lol. Now I’m excited for this team. 

Aside from I believe Ward got the shaft from the players , I love this. I've firmly believed if Sutter had stayed coach for 1-2 more seasons he'd have had a cup here .

Him only knowing crash and bang is a misnomer . The team he had in 2004 was not a very talented team..they played to the best of their ability.. that's what Sutter does.

Every player in this team will be told what they are and what they will do..or else .

I don't expect Bennett to suddenly get his wish to be a center .. he will be put where he will do the best..Sutter will decide that . We will never again ask " what is Sam Bennett?" Question is , whether Sam will like the answer 

Skill players thrive under him.. I think of Dustin Brown.. his career was essentially over until Sutter showed up. But we will know what D is..and if you are a physical player , you will play physical.

Id argue this is the most talented team he's been given.. now we find out what they can and can't do 

• Like 3