Darryl Sutter new head coach

The_Tribal Chief

This comment make sense. Other than the breakouts I didn't see a lot of issues with the actual x and os.  The problem was playing passive/too slow which led to execution issues. 

I'm not a fan of how the Flames plays in the o zone but at the same time it's pretty typical stuff so I wasn't really expecting a change. I'm interested to see if anything changes with the blueline and how they defend it. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This comment make sense. Other than the breakouts I didn't see a lot of issues with the actual x and os.  The problem was playing passive/too slow which led to execution issues. 

I'm not a fan of how the Flames plays in the o zone but at the same time it's pretty typical stuff so I wasn't really expecting a change. 

We shall see if they can fix the execution issues.  The term style says to me that they were missing a key element in the transition or whatever you want to call it.  

Passive is a style.  Allowing the teams to gain the zone is a style I guess.

Can we become a team that makes it tough to play in CGY?  I haven't seen it.  The line matching is one area I would like to see improve on home ice.  No reason to start your 4th line against a top line, assuming last change, unless you have a lot of trust in them.  

44 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

To me when they mention the style needs change, it's that they need play with more pace. 

I think we are going to see a lot of Lindholm down the middle, and Sutter is going to be asking a lot of Monahan.

The 1st period of the BOA game was a case study.  We didn't get that 2nd goal which would have crushed them.

Did we stop hitting at some point in the 1st?

The goals against had breakdowns in coverage, so they need to fix that.

I'm not sure there was much wrong in the GWG, other than he should not have gotten a clean shot away.

Maybe he got too open too quickly.

Considering the talent, I don't get the lack of scoring.

Smith had it far too easy.

Please fix the PP while you are at it.

The pace sucks on the initial setup.

Painful to watch against Ottawa.

Liked the 1st PP against EDM.

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

This is kinda what we all have been going crazy about, the pace and intensity has been way too low...slow and soft on pucks...the question is how or what is it that Sutter dose to get his teams to play that way? We have had coaches in the past including our last one that all said the same thing as is fans do but for some reason Sutter has a way that gets every player to execute so much better and quicker.

that’s why BT said this team need Sutter specifically.

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

This is kinda what we all have been going crazy about, the pace and intensity has been way too low...slow and soft on pucks...the question is how or what is it that Sutter dose to get his teams to play that way? We have had coaches in the past including our last one that all said the same thing as is fans do but for some reason Sutter has a way that gets every player to execute so much better and quicker.

that’s why BT said this team need Sutter specifically.

We’ve all heard someone say, “There will always be someone smarter, faster, stronger than you. You can’t control that, just make sure no one out works you.”

I think that embodies Mr. Sutter, the fact that he was still working on the farm when he got his call to coach in LA and again back at the family farm now. He wakes up everyday and puts an honest days work in, and I think players respect that he’s honest and there willing to play for him. He’s also a coach whose won and comes with some pedigree, so the players that faint buy the lunch pail mentality can still appreciate his hockey intelligence and are willing to listen and give him a shot. That’s why I think players buy in. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/tsn-rewind-what-flames-fans-can-look-forward-to-again~2156630?tsn-app

I have to be honest, before Calgary made this move I didn't think Darryl was the right guy for the job. I have changed my mind in that regard, I am really excited to see what he can do with this team.

It's going to be an uphill battle there is absolutely no doubt about that, this team has dug themselves a nice little hole. That being said when I talked about there being a handful of coaches out there that can make a difference to team success, Darryl Sutter belongs in that group.

If he can get this group to play anywhere near as good as they did in that first period against Edmonton, this is going to be a fun team to watch down the stretch.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jjgallow said:

yeah this draft is definitely unique, that's for sure.    But I don't think these factors have much play into the quality of the players.    If a draft is loaded with defencemen and goalies....it...just us.   Truthfully, what the NHL should do is just change the draft age to 19, and skip this year altogether.   The only reason it's 18 is the Gretzky fiasco and I think we're all past that.   But...they won't.  lol.

I recall that it was Ken Linesman who was instrumental in lowering the draft eligibility from 20 to 18.

http://www.originalhockeyhalloffame.com/news-events/linseman.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/tsn-rewind-what-flames-fans-can-look-forward-to-again~2156630?tsn-app

I have to be honest, before Calgary made this move I didn't think Darryl was the right guy for the job. I have changed my mind in that regard, I am really excited to see what he can do with this team.

It's going to be an uphill battle there is absolutely no doubt about that, this team has dug themselves a nice little hole. That being said when I talked about there being a handful of coaches out there that can make a difference to team success, Darryl Sutter belongs in that group.

If he can get this group to play anywhere near as good as they did in that first period against Edmonton, this is going to be a fun team to watch down the stretch.

I don't know why I have such optimism about having a new coach, and expecially Sutter as a coach.  Could it be a sense of a perfect fit for a bunch of guys that don't really have a sense of teamwork?  A guy gets run over and nobody sticks up for him.  Why is that guy going to risk it if nobody has his back.  I don't know if Lucic fought Nurse because of a firty hit, but I don't think you have to look to hard to find one.  Neal is known for being a douche, so I have no doubt Tkachuk did it for the right reason.  But those two deserve having their backs looked after.  I don't think Sutter is going to point and say "Go", but I think the team starts to realize that the guy that gets a cheap shot put to him needs to be avenged.  

I still remember Brouwer saying that the hacks on Guadreau were no bg deal, he does it all the time.  Such as loser.  Then again, where was his backup?  Why was Staal able to walk out of that game unscathed.  If they have some pride in the team, perhaps they can play like one.  Make CGY a place that teams don't want to visit.  Make losing unacceptable, no matter what moral victories we managed to achieve.  

Maybe I have the wrong idea about what he will bring, but I have to think it's going to be positives.  If he can turn the boat around it could be an epic finish.  For one thing, it would prove that they are not one dimensional and fragile.  It would mean that they would be cruising into the playoffs.  And that they are beating the very teams that they face in the first and second rounds.  

I am hoping that Sutter will have the guts to do something other coaches appear not able to do, be willing to split up Johnny and Mony and put Monahan in a different role. 

I doubt you see it this year but as I said all off season I think this is past due. I know Sutter will have no problem doing it if he feels it will make them better but I am really hoping he sees it this way. 

• Like 1

With all the excitement with Sutters arrival and there’s seems to be a genuine consensus that he’ll bring about some positive changes. Now, what does this organization do if it doesn’t work out with Sutter? Where do they go from there if a coach as demanding and respected as Sutter can’t get this team to meet or exceed expectations? Is that the threshold before we enter a new full blown rebuild ? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rickross said:

With all the excitement with Sutters arrival and there’s seems to be a genuine consensus that he’ll bring about some positive changes. Now, what does this organization do if it doesn’t work out with Sutter? Where do they go from there if a coach as demanding and respected as Sutter can’t get this team to meet or exceed expectations? Is that the threshold before we enter a new full blown rebuild ? 

I believe it is, based on what BT said, Sutter is not going anywhere so it’s on the players...therefore I’d suspect if they fail now there will be some major player changes 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rickross said:

It's a fair question.  I suspect it may be a staged recovery.  We make some strides now and if that continues into the playoffs, we don't make major changes.  We get some benefit but fail in the playoffs, we know that we have to make changes.  Probably better to approach it for now as if it's going to work.  Changes can be made over the course of the off-season.

6 hours ago, rickross said:

I would say that there is, yes, as you said Hope.  But, in Sutter.  Not in the Flames.    Especially outside of this forum, talk is about the degredation of the Flames far more than about Sutter.    I don't see much reason to believe that Sutter can change the fortunes of this core, yet I still agree with others in seeing hope from signing Sutter.  

He always should have been our coach.  Never our GM and always our coach.

It's not going to be the last thing we see this year.  The question is who's next... the players or the GM.   I've thought about this a lot and I really don't know.   But I expect both.

People don't like to hear it but that's actually the point where we start to have Real hope.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I would say that there is, yes, as you said Hope.  But, in Sutter.  Not in the Flames.    Especially outside of this forum, talk is about the degredation of the Flames far more than about Sutter.    I don't see much reason to believe that Sutter can change the fortunes of this core, yet I still agree with others in seeing hope from signing Sutter.  

He always should have been out coach.  Never our GM and always our coach.

It's not going to be the last thing we see this year.  The question is who's next... the players or the GM.   I've thought about this a lot and I really don't know.   But I expect both.

People don't like to hear it but that's actually the point where we start to have Real hope.  

It’s a critical time for this franchise. We are at an absolute crossroads right now. It’s disappointing that we may be this close to another full blown rebuild but it may be the necessary path to pursue. I’d imagine BT has hired his last coach, if they do enter a rebuild I’m not sure Sutter wants to be around for it. It’d really be a shame as we have some really good players on some fairly cap friendly contracts so it sucks to have wasted those years. I’m like everyone else, hoping that Sutter can right this ship but we’ve heard A LOT of talk from this team with very little action to back it up. When your averaging 1 coach/year this definitely starts to fall on the players shoulders. Up until now, I don’t have much reason to trust our current group of players 😬

• Like 1

I agree with most here that this is the final chance for our current core before we go at it again with another rebuild.

Its been almost 8 years and 1 playoff round win is not good enough.

I'm optimistic the team can get it going under Sutter but if they don't im fully on the rebuild train.

We have the talent IMO more talent than we've had in years where we were more successful (2004, 2015) they just lack consistency and determination.

I highly doubt that we'd go full rebuild. There is too much talent to blow it up. It is a very different situation than in 2013 when our top prospects were Sven Baertschi, and Mark Jankowski. We had to trade our aging franchise right winger, our Vezina winning goaltender was retiring, and the only real asset that we had of much value was Jay Bouwmeester.

That said, there could very well be some player movement, but I don't think that you blow it up when you still have a few good seasons of a pretty good goaltender, and players like Lindholm, Tkachuk, Monohan, Gaudreau, Hanifin, and Anders Rasmussen. I think that if you flip one, or two of those guys, then you'll have retooled your team adequately.

Basically, it's no guarantee of success, but we're still a few steps away from going scorched Earth.

Love.

• Like 1

My expectation is that Sutter will identify where the problems in the roster are this season, and barring a miraculous turnaround in play we will see at least one major piece moved in the offseason if not more.  It's not going to be easy, as our contract structure suggests that next season is the last window for this core, with Johnny, Tkachuk and Gio's contracts all coming due (not to mention Mangiapane as well).  The following season it is Monahan and Lucic (and maybe Tkachuk again), then Backlund, Lindholm, Hanifin and Tanev the following year.  So the question is, can we win with this group, not just can we be a playoff team.  If the answer is no, then we need to decide when our next window is.  Do we trade draft picks and offload a guy like Bennett to go for it in Johnny's last season before UFA? If not, we have to trade him unless he's happy to sign here this summer. Is it the following year? If not, maybe it's best to move on from Monahan too.  Those two guys could bring back some nice young assets this offseason who may be ready to be impact players in 2023-24.  That season will see Lucic come off the books, so we will have plenty of capspace to pay players like Tkachuk, and this is the year I would personally look for us to be good again.  Of course, that's beyond Sutter's current contract, and I don't get the sense he's looking to be a development coach...

10 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I agree with most here that this is the final chance for our current core before we go at it again with another rebuild.

Its been almost 8 years and 1 playoff round win is not good enough.

I'm optimistic the team can get it going under Sutter but if they don't im fully on the rebuild train.

We have the talent IMO more talent than we've had in years where we were more successful (2004, 2015) they just lack consistency and determination.

19 minutes ago, rickross said:

It’s a critical time for this franchise. We are at an absolute crossroads right now. It’s disappointing that we may be this close to another full blown rebuild but it may be the necessary path to pursue. I’d imagine BT has hired his last coach, if they do enter a rebuild I’m not sure Sutter wants to be around for it. It’d really be a shame as we have some really good players on some fairly cap friendly contracts so it sucks to have wasted those years. I’m like everyone else, hoping that Sutter can right this ship but we’ve heard A LOT of talk from this team with very little action to back it up. When your averaging 1 coach/year this definitely starts to fall on the players shoulders. Up until now, I don’t have much reason to trust our current group of players 😬

I have to point this out, because it's being painted as a player/culture problem.

We have had 2 rookie coaches, an old school coach that had one good season, and one that was forced to quit.
I would say none if them have been a good fit here.

Hartley - had a season where the players were given the keys, then changed the way he coached.  Was not a good fit in what he was selling.

Gully - poor choice to begin with.

BP - had good results but his following year was not able to finish what he started.

Ward - not a coach that was able to adjust to other teams.

There is a problem with a team that showed mixed results this season.  Saying they are 100% responsible for the problems is incorrect.  Poor coaching can put you in that situation.  For that reason, I am interested to see what a good coach can do.  I have confidence that the season will be better.  Whether there is enough to get in the playoffs remains to be seen.  We could still be 100% better and still miss.  Is that a reason to rebuild?

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I have to point this out, because it's being painted as a player/culture problem.

We have had 2 rookie coaches, an old school coach that had one good season, and one that was forced to quit.
I would say none if them have been a good fit here.

Hartley - had a season where the players were given the keys, then changed the way he coached.  Was not a good fit in what he was selling.

Gully - poor choice to begin with.

BP - had good results but his following year was not able to finish what he started.

Ward - not a coach that was able to adjust to other teams.

There is a problem with a team that showed mixed results this season.  Saying they are 100% responsible for the problems is incorrect.  Poor coaching can put you in that situation.  For that reason, I am interested to see what a good coach can do.  I have confidence that the season will be better.  Whether there is enough to get in the playoffs remains to be seen.  We could still be 100% better and still miss.  Is that a reason to rebuild?

Perhaps a full rebuild is unnecessary, but missing the playoffs after winning the division 2 seasons prior is cause for change IMO.

If we miss and the identity of this team is still that of an inconsistent group that can't play a full 60, I believe that aforementioned change needs to be more significant.

• Like 1

Darryl Sutter isn't here for a rebuild so whether the Flames miss this year or not I don't think changes anything. This is a organization that has committed itself to try and do whatever they can do win every year and the fact that they tied Sutter's contract to Treliving's is telling to me. 

I don't think they will go full re build at all (as in trade everyone and get draft picks) but if the players don't pick it up under Sutter I think deals that perhaps they were reluctant to do last year they will look to pull the trigger on to shake things up but i think those deals will likely be hockey deals and not future based deals. 

But I fully expect the focus is going to be on winning and playoffs. No doubt in mind.