Darryl Sutter new head coach

The_Tribal Chief

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sports is closer to the movie industry than most workplaces.

Do you often get stopped on the way in the door and some random person asks for your autograph?

Is your autograph worth money to people?

Do people call you up to ask your opinion on lifestyle or news or sports?

Canadians are obsessed with hockey.

Kids have heroes in sports, so it's odd that you think there shouldn't be any appetite for hockey stories.

Saying all that, it's a shame that the team could be so clueless in dealing with the coach.  If you know you are firing a guy, why pretend that it was just decided.  Show some class and inform the coach early.  Give the reins to the A/coach so that the team knows what's going on.  And the fans.  They might not agree, but at least it shows some class in being upfront.  

Yes it is the entertainment industry, but the product is the game.  As a kid all I really had were the games on TV, which most of them weren't back then, I watched Sports at 11 or 11:30 on Channel 7, reporting was different back then, media tried being friends with the players and in those days it was common that they were.  But I had on my twitter feed this Fiery Breadman guy, not someone I follow, but his feed the last few days is just pictures stolen from instagram stories of players wives on vacation, begs my question how important is it to follow players wives on social media?  I don't know I think the world would be a so much better place if we didn't consume so much of our energy in how others live their lives.  I would want my kids to idolize their role models based on the work and dedication it got that person to get to that level, I don't need them to know everything they do in their spare time and neither do my kids.

Do you think Treliving just decided in the middle of a 7-3 win that he want to see if Sutter was interested in coaching?  And he just decided then and there to jump back in and good bye Geoff Ward and all it took was a few hours?  No that was weeks of negotiating.  We just don't think any less of the Flames because its our team, and we don't care about Ward's feelings because he never knew the entire time, didn't face the media after or had to address any rumours.  But we sure were glad he was gone.  No different from the Canucks, just someone told someone who has itchy twitter fingers.

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

Yes it is the entertainment industry, but the product is the game.  As a kid all I really had were the games on TV, which most of them weren't back then, I watched Sports at 11 or 11:30 on Channel 7, reporting was different back then, media tried being friends with the players and in those days it was common that they were.  But I had on my twitter feed this Fiery Breadman guy, not someone I follow, but his feed the last few days is just pictures stolen from instagram stories of players wives on vacation, begs my question how important is it to follow players wives on social media?  I don't know I think the world would be a so much better place if we didn't consume so much of our energy in how others live their lives.  I would want my kids to idolize their role models based on the work and dedication it got that person to get to that level, I don't need them to know everything they do in their spare time and neither do my kids.

Do you think Treliving just decided in the middle of a 7-3 win that he want to see if Sutter was interested in coaching?  And he just decided then and there to jump back in and good bye Geoff Ward and all it took was a few hours?  No that was weeks of negotiating.  We just don't think any less of the Flames because its our team, and we don't care about Ward's feelings because he never knew the entire time, didn't face the media after or had to address any rumours.  But we sure were glad he was gone.  No different from the Canucks, just someone told someone who has itchy twitter fingers.

You don't have to talk about what it was like in the old days.  I was unable to watch most Flames game due to the East Coast bias (and time zone).  Now, I have access.  I like to hear anaylsis of the team, so you take the good with the bad.  Hearing about who the Flames are targeting is just interesting to some.  I am not a fan of reality TV in any way shape or form.  I don't think sports rumors fall into that category.  If they talk about Connor McD getting caught cheating on his GF, who gives a crap.  It's not hockey.  I feel the same towards hearing TMZ style reporting on celebs.  Reporting on hockey may not be your cup of coffee, I get it.

I do think that the Sutter hiring was not a BT move.  He may have been able to fire Wardo, but I think his choice was being told to him; you fire Ward, you get Sutter.  As far as informing Wardo, who knows.  It's not like he didn't feel the heat.  Or that he may have been told long before that he had expectations about performance.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I do think that the Sutter hiring was not a BT move.  He may have been able to fire Wardo, but I think his choice was being told to him; you fire Ward, you get Sutter.  As far as informing Wardo, who knows.  It's not like he didn't feel the heat.  Or that he may have been told long before that he had expectations about performance.  

I'm going to disagree with whose move it was, thats the TMZ level crap I'm referring about,, but all I'm saying is the process wasn't too far off from Vancouver, Ward was likely coaching for weeks even though the team was going to can him, a big difference is someone probably lost some goodwill with the Flames after he announced a trade request from Bennett and wasn't able to break the story that the Flames were talking to Sutter.  But I don't have another round in me for this topic.

New York Yankees I Give Up GIF by MLB

12 hours ago, sak22 said:

It seems I struck a nerve with insulting Lord Friedman.  Sorry I don't fall in the crowd to worship guys who break hockey news, nothing you or anyone else will say will change my opinion.  I watch for the game, not the soap opera, you enjoy the soap opera so be it.  It's just a game and entertainment for us, if my company decides today they want to lay me off next Friday I'm not going to think more of a person who tells me on Monday.  I do find it funny how you can be anti-MSM when it comes to real news, but sports msm is a different story, both are garbage my friend.

You didn't strike a nerve insulting Lord Friedman.  I'm only saying reporters break news as early as they can as a standard practice.  You are suggesting it's unethical or immoral to do so when this has been the norm for a millenia.  As a result, Friedman has committed no fault here and it's not even about Friedman, it could've been Lebrun, Dreger, McKenzie, whoever.  They are just doing their job.

Almost every way you can think of how this situation could've been handled better falls on the Canucks organization.  From the unexpected break of the story to the weeks that dragged on.  So many ways they could've mitigated the embarrassment Boudreau had to endure and they didn't do it.

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

At the same time though why is it other teams can keep this quiet and the Canucks didn't? Flames were almost certainly talking to Sutter while Ward was the coach and it that never got out.  Also have to balance this with the fact that he is almost certainly used by teams when it's convenient for them.  Can't have it both ways.

I don't think he crossed a line either. I think it's fair to dislike the type of reporting Friedman and others do but I think that's a by product of fan demand and not the result of the individuals IMO. 

Ya that too.  Teams use reporters as well to leak news to get intel and play mind games with rival teams, etc.  It goes both ways. 

All I've been saying is, reporters are just the messenger.  Don't shoot the messenger.  

So I have no doubts that Sutter is going to be here for the remainder of his contract, my two biggest concerns with that are 1. The results aren’t there and his style doesn’t fit the players we have, 2. and quite possibly more importantly, we have one of the best young up and coming coaches with the Wranglers right now in Mitch Love. I would hate to see him go to another team, because he is going to get an opportunity sooner rather than later.

We have managed to keep Cail MacLean and Ryan Huska (for now) in the organization, but I doubt we can do that with Mitch Love.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So I have no doubts that Sutter is going to be here for the remainder of his contract, my two biggest concerns with that are 1. The results aren’t there and his style doesn’t fit the players we have, 2. and quite possibly more importantly, we have one of the best young up and coming coaches with the Wranglers right now in Mitch Love. I would hate to see him go to another team, because he is going to get an opportunity sooner rather than later.

We have managed to keep Cail MacLean and Ryan Huska (for now) in the organization, but I doubt we can do that with Mitch Love.

Last year, we had a top line that played less of a Sutter game, but was excused because Tkachuk also got greasy goals.  I don't think the top line is playing the same way now, they seem to be only getting chances when we dominate the O-zone.  The Backlund line is basically the same.  The Kadri line is I don't know what.  Never sure what they are trying to do or what they are expected to do.  No point in Huberdeau passing if Kadri is the only guy that will take a shot.  

This team isn’t built to play the way Sutter wants, and he is too stubborn to try something different. The team itself seems checked out, Sutter seems checked out half the time. No one looks comfortable. Something has to change, and Luke Schenn or JVR aren’t going to do it.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Last year, we had a top line that played less of a Sutter game, but was excused because Tkachuk also got greasy goals.  I don't think the top line is playing the same way now, they seem to be only getting chances when we dominate the O-zone.  The Backlund line is basically the same.  The Kadri line is I don't know what.  Never sure what they are trying to do or what they are expected to do.  No point in Huberdeau passing if Kadri is the only guy that will take a shot.  

Top line was very good defensively.  Gaudreau backchecked and was improved defensively.  Lindholm had Selke nominations.

But having a true #1 line and not having one this season is such a huge difference.

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

This team isn’t built to play the way Sutter wants, and he is too stubborn to try something different. The team itself seems checked out, Sutter seems checked out half the time. No one looks comfortable. Something has to change, and Luke Schenn or JVR aren’t going to do it.

The team mostly plays the way Sutter wants but there's lack of finish or lack of skills.  We outshoot our opponents all the time.  This season, we don't have a game breaker like Gaudreau.  We don't have that finish around the net like Tkachuk.  We don't have a #1 line.

Also, Sutter teams need great goaltending and we've gotten bad goaltending this season.  I'm worried because Markstrom is 32 and showing his age but he's signed for 3 more years.  Yikes.

Agree with People,last year wasn’t a case of the top line not playing Sutter hockey. It was a case of have 2 unique and elite players in particular Gaudreau. Gaudreau has such an elite and rare ability to create space for himself and linemates and that’s why that line thrived. Really tough skill set to replace and not really a skill set that Huberdeau brought. It’s why once they got into the playoffs and space got even more limited that line struggled.  

So it’s led to their quality being down, which means they’re in tighter/low scoring games and it’s caused them to cheat and give up more on the backend. But structurally, this isn’t a change from what they did last year. Just lacking the unique personnel. Doesn’t help their PP either. 

as it was said when he was hired, Sutter isn’t a good fit for how this roster is built, they just had unique talent that masked it last year and now without it the same truth applies. I’m not a believer this team can have success under Sutter and that’s not to say he is a problem, I just don’t think the fit is there. Think they had their shot with him last year and I’m not sure they can find another one without Sutter making some big changes to his approach 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

as it was said when he was hired, Sutter isn’t a good fit for how this roster is built, they just had unique talent that masked it last year and now without it the same truth applies. I’m not a believer this team can have success under Sutter and that’s not to say he is a problem, I just don’t think the fit is there. Think they had their shot with him last year and I’m not sure they can find another one without Sutter making some big changes to his approach 

This part 100%.  While the top line may or may not have been playing Sutter hockey, they were able to score enough early and often to allow a defensive structure to work.

39 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

If anyone wants a true understanding of what kind of person Sutter is, just watch the ending with the interview with Chris Sutter. Regardless of falwa he may have the respect he gets from his son is evidance to a side most do not see with Daryl I would suspect. 

This.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

If anyone wants a true understanding of what kind of person Sutter is, just watch the ending with the interview with Chris Sutter. Regardless of falwa he may have the respect he gets from his son is evidance to a side most do not see with Daryl I would suspect. 

Shut up......it's just dusty in here!

Crying.....PFFFTT! 😏

• 3 weeks later...

ONE of my peeves with Sutter is his handling of the lines. 

The fourth line Lewis Lucic etc does well at forcing the puck into the O zone, whether by shooting it at the goalie after crossing the center line or carrying past the blue line and ripping it around the boards and then digging it out. In a majority of cases they get the goalie to tie up the puck, usually with a weak shot This is exactly what you want a fourth line to do. Create a face off in the O zone. Now that face off in the O zone can be capitalized on with one of your first two lines. But Sutter leaves the fourth line out a majority of the time unless their allotted shift is done. How many other coaches in the league do this NONE that I an aware of. A face off in the O zone is a percentage chance  to score. Maybe he doesn't have the courage to tell Lucic he has to come off after a 10 second shift.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

ONE of my peeves with Sutter is his handling of the lines. 

The fourth line Lewis Lucic etc does well at forcing the puck into the O zone, whether by shooting it at the goalie after crossing the center line or carrying past the blue line and ripping it around the boards and then digging it out. In a majority of cases they get the goalie to tie up the puck, usually with a weak shot This is exactly what you want a fourth line to do. Create a face off in the O zone. Now that face off in the O zone can be capitalized on with one of your first two lines. But Sutter leaves the fourth line out a majority of the time unless their allotted shift is done. How many other coaches in the league do this NONE that I an aware of. A face off in the O zone is a percentage chance  to score. Maybe he doesn't have the courage to tell Lucic he has to come off after a 10 second shift.  

Whatever their use, the 4th line is being rolled out at key times and perhaps that is just wrong.

Out for the 1st goal.

Out after PP ends.

Out in the final minute of a tied game.

• 2 weeks later...

Since leaving the Flames as GM Sutter has been quoted on a few occasions of saying he didn't really like the GM role.  I read an article where he was asking to rank being a coach/player and a GM and he ranked being a GM last. 

I'd be surprised if he wanted to be a GM again. 

So this is what "unfinished business" looks like. Hmm. It looks a lot like Sutter is railroading BT.

If one goes, get rid of both. I wouldn't pay to watch this gong show. Hopefully STH feel the same.

Everything's a joke. You can't build an arena without massive public dollars. You can't let a GM operate without interference. A coach comes in that seems like he's running even more interference so the GM tries to satisfy his wants too. What a Satoshi Nakamotoshow.

Wtf even is this? I can watch Yzerman be very poignant and honest about his team. Then in Calgary the whole thing just looks like a giant mess of nobody being forthcoming. A world of subterfuge. Zero, "we're all in this together". Just a world of misery and treachery.

So much to unload. Or the alternative of, "Blockchain this, I've stopped caring". Which isn't far off. What a mess from top to bottom.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

So this is what "unfinished business" looks like. Hmm. It looks a lot like Sutter is railroading BT.

If one goes, get rid of both. I wouldn't pay to watch this gong show. Hopefully STH feel the same.

Everything's a joke. You can't build an arena without massive public dollars. You can't let a GM operate without interference. A coach comes in that seems like he's running even more interference so the GM tries to satisfy his wants too. What a Satoshi Nakamotoshow.

Wtf even is this? I can watch Yzerman be very poignant and honest about his team. Then in Calgary the whole thing just looks like a giant mess of nobody being forthcoming. A world of subterfuge. Zero, "we're all in this together". Just a world of misery and treachery.

So much to unload. Or the alternative of, "Blockchain this, I've stopped caring". Which isn't far off. What a mess from top to bottom.

If I was BT, then I probably wouldn't want to come back.  The owners picked the coach for him.  He's built a team that doesn't fit the coaches style and making the best he can on the fly.  Owners rushing results.  It's a total mess.

BT has good rapport around the NHL having done a decent job in Calgary.  If he goes UFA, then teams looking for a new GM would/should consider him.  He won't be out of a job for long.

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If I was BT, then I probably wouldn't want to come back.  The owners picked the coach for him.  He's built a team that doesn't fit the coaches style and making the best he can on the fly.  Owners rushing results.  It's a total mess.

BT has good rapport around the NHL having done a decent job in Calgary.  If he goes UFA, then teams looking for a new GM would/should consider him.  He won't be out of a job for long.

Same. It will be telling if he walks away. Because if I were him, another contract would have a lot of, "stay the Blockchain out of my way" clauses. They can't, so all of that hockey knowledge will walk. It's sad. He knows the NHL upside downside, but that isn't enough for this franchise apparently.

Burke passed it off and left pdq.

It's a sinking franchise that refuses to get out of the way of itself.

The worst part is fans are married to players like Backlund, Lindholm and Tanev like there aren't other players in the NHL. Just to add to the annoyance.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Same. It will be telling if he walks away. Because if I were him, another contract would have a lot of, "stay the Blockchain out of my way" clauses. They can't, so all of that hockey knowledge will walk. It's sad. He knows the NHL upside downside, but that isn't enough for this franchise apparently.

Burke passed it off and left pdq.

It's a sinking franchise that refuses to get out of the way of itself.

The worst part is fans are married to players like Backlund, Lindholm and Tanev like there aren't other players in the NHL. Just to add to the annoyance.

The post so nice you said it twice.

I can understand why Backlund gets some propos.

He's one of the only drafted, developed and played Flames players.

But we need to stop with the lifetime deals.

The fans tend to overrate the Flames and never seem to see other lesser known players.

Necas for Tkachuk would have been a good start, but not a name brand.

Fans would have hated it.

I have no problems with the players coming back.

But they are on the wrong team.

No speed, no pace, boring other than the play of Gaudreau and Tkachuk last year.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The fans tend to overrate the Flames and never seem to see other lesser known players.

Necas for Tkachuk would have been a good start, but not a name brand.

Fans would have hated it.

I have no problems with the players coming back.

But they are on the wrong team.

No speed, no pace, boring other than the play of Gaudreau and Tkachuk last year.

The bolded in your quote was what I felt was the last four years. It was a Gaudreau team and not much else in the way of pace. Metrics and stuff like that might say otherwise. But I always felt you stop Johnny Hockey and you stop the Flames. 

Johnny wasn't the wrong player, they just failed to develop around him. Bennett was too good for JR and already good enough to play NHL and the whole, "and he's only 18" when we played the Canucks in the playoffs. 

I guess there was a bit more pace to other Flames teams, but I think it was Gaudreau and Backlund pushing the pace.

It was why I wanted to trade Johnny years ago and try build through the draft. It's not 100%, I get it. We even failed on Benny pick, and the Valamaki pick and so on... but I think we need to continue to draft well. Although we've cornered the market on late round undersized skill, and know how to draft that...

I was a bit worried about the Mangiapane deal. He shows better than this year, but I was worried this was actually him. Maybe he is actually better. 

Dube might be the only one going this year and yet Sutter puts him on the 4th?

I actually think fans would love to see some speed and skill inserted. Most of the time that comes with drafting and unusual to get through trade and UFA.