Darryl Sutter new head coach

The_Tribal Chief

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Might as well take it year by year.  The window could close in 2 to 5 years.  Such a wide gap so nobody knows.

I think it really comes down to what does Darryl want? When he went to LA, it was reported that he made a gentleman's agreement with Dean Lombardi that he would not be fired, when the time comes Darryl would step away. You can bet that's the case here as well. He's 64 right now, Bowness is 67 and still coaching. There are NFL coaches that are approaching 70. I wouldn't be surprised if he coaches for a couple more seasons after this one.

One thing with Darryl though is that he has a shelf-life as a coach. It seems to be in that 5-6 range, which is where a 2yr extension would take him.

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think it really comes down to what does Darryl want? When he went to LA, it was reported that he made a gentleman's agreement with Dean Lombardi that he would not be fired, when the time comes Darryl would step away. You can bet that's the case here as well. He's 64 right now, Bowness is 67 and still coaching. There are NFL coaches that are approaching 70. I wouldn't be surprised if he coaches for a couple more seasons after this one.

One thing with Darryl though is that he has a shelf-life as a coach. It seems to be in that 5-6 range, which is where a 2yr extension would take him.

I also believe he had the same deal when he was the GM here. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

Just announced, Sutter signed multi-year extension. No details yet.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/flames-agree-to-multi-year-contract-extension-with-head-coach-darryl-sutter/sn-amp/

Just came to link it.

guess this thread title can be changed? He's no longer the new coach of the Calgary Flames.

Congrats to Sutter for getting the extension, this makes sense on many levels. I personally would have preferred waiting until the end of this season to extend him just to get a better pulse on what we have as a team after all these moves. He did manage to turn things around for the franchise however I still feel as if he was out coached during that embarrassing playoff exit loss to the Coilers. He’s very good at implementing the structure and discipline necessary to build a strong foundation, no arguments there. I’m just not completely sold on his ability as an X’s and O’s tactician to outsmart opponents, and adjust on the fly.  IMO he might be bit a over reliant on his teams being hardworking, it’s almost like a “work harder not smarter” approach. So far it’s been enough to get us into the playoffs which is great but have we seen all Sutter can bring or is there yet another level and gear to this team he can unlock? 

52 minutes ago, rickross said:

Congrats to Sutter for getting the extension, this makes sense on many levels. I personally would have preferred waiting until the end of this season to extend him just to get a better pulse on what we have as a team after all these moves. He did manage to turn things around for the franchise however I still feel as if he was out coached during that embarrassing playoff exit loss to the Coilers. He’s very good at implementing the structure and discipline necessary to build a strong foundation, no arguments there. I’m just not completely sold on his ability as an X’s and O’s tactician to outsmart opponents, and adjust on the fly.  IMO he might be bit a over reliant on his teams being hardworking, it’s almost like a “work harder not smarter” approach. So far it’s been enough to get us into the playoffs which is great but have we seen all Sutter can bring or is there yet another level and gear to this team he can unlock? 

Well, he was relying on the top players playing like top players.

Had we seen regular season versions of Gaudreau and Tkachuk, it may have been different.

They neither played hard nor smart.

They never raised to a new level.

Perhaps a few did, but some regressed.

I do feel he stopped shut down and went best on best.

Our best was not the best.

Backlund rose because he was less tasked with shut down.

I think overall this is ok, having the big names signed and now Sutter in a two year agreement means no distraction to the team and they can all concentrate on one thing and that is to buy in to a hard work ethic, no bs, and games firmly placed into the win column.  I think their might be some changes in moving players around in the first 10 games, specifically on the right wing to find the chemistry but we have great depth in this team.  Need to keep Markstrom healthy and top of his game we will then be tough team to penetrate.  Looking forward to this team, retiring in two months means I can watch most of all games now which will be nice too.  Sutter will mold this team to play very solid and tough to score on.

I felt the team game was overall better. Like cross and conundrum and others have said, it came down to execution and we've traded two big guys who tend to execute at different levels when play gets harder. One is ultimately a no-show and the other, is ineffective when other line matters are no-shows. 

even if the team shows up, it's tough to win in the playoffs and tough to win the cup. 

So I think if the team buys in, plays "60 minutes," it's a chance! It's all I ask for. Effort and execution. That's entertainment. 

i feel the team will be exciting to watch after game 15 or 20. They also might need a bit of a road trip to become a team... could be after the first longer roadie that gets them going.

• 2 months later...

Something I want to ask, does Sutter have them moving enough? Is skating in straight lines up the ice a good enough game plan? There is no changing lanes with everyone skating up ice in one line. Why is there no cutting to the center of the ice to open passing lanes? And someone taking the position of the player that is cutting? 

I played competitive basketball and we were doing weaves up court and creating lanes and so in playing beer league it's how I play hockey. I've never seen so little movement by a team than I have the last few years. I'd say it's not just this year but it is more noticeable this season because the results are not there in comparison to last season... 

i think this is why we see a lot of guys standing around. We skate in one way and there's absolutely no trading off and stick to the position place. Move around and make space for each other....

what are we doing without the puck? Guys are watching the puck carrier and then starting to skate once the puck carrier looks at them and motions to it. It's very predictable. 

I'm not really a believer in assigning blame. When things aren't going as well as you think they can there is almost always multiple factors at play. 

But I will say right now I have more questions for the coaching staff then I do the players. Right now the 2 biggest issues I see with the Flames is they don't seem to play with a purpose and when they get leads they play scared. That makes me question what is the message here, what is the game plan? What is the environment like around the rink because there is a team that is not playing with any type of confidence or relaxed. 

On the PP what are we trying to do, I don't see a plan. Do we really want to play the 1-3-1 so we can get point shots and traffic? Why is the bumper spot going to the net? I think when the Flames PP clicks is because of individual talent making plans and not based on scheme so again what are we doing here?

Not saying it's the coaches fault nor am I trying to suggest players are fine and letting them off the hook, I just really don't see a game plan, nor do I see a team that is confident. 2 things I put more on coaches then I do players. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I'm not really a believer in assigning blame. When things aren't going as well as you think they can there is almost always multiple factors at play. 

But I will say right now I have more questions for the coaching staff then I do the players. Right now the 2 biggest issues I see with the Flames is they don't seem to play with a purpose and when they get leads they play scared. That makes me question what is the message here, what is the game plan? What is the environment like around the rink because there is a team that is not playing with any type of confidence or relaxed. 

On the PP what are we trying to do, I don't see a plan. Do we really want to play the 1-3-1 so we can get point shots and traffic? Why is the bumper spot going to the net? I think when the Flames PP clicks is because of individual talent making plans and not based on scheme so again what are we doing here?

Not saying it's the coaches fault nor am I trying to suggest players are fine and letting them off the hook, I just really don't see a game plan, nor do I see a team that is confident. 2 things I put more on coaches then I do players. 

If it wasn't for the quick two goals we probably would have shut down the offense and tried to win a 2-1 game.  It seems to be Sutter's belief that we can only score two, so shut it down when we do.  

As far as the player usage goes, I don't follow it one bit.  Lucic has a game where a puck bounces off another player and he should get top 6 minutes?  Lewis was probably more the reason that a goal happened.  Or Lindholm.  But we push a fairly unskilled grinder for more minutes because he's playing like a 4th liner?  

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am really trying to stay positive with Sutter, but he is really making it hard. I get what he is trying to do, and maybe this type of motivational tactic will work, but it seems like it is a crappy way of doing things.

I understand it. He's just trying to calm the wolves down and away from hyping the kid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I am really trying to stay positive with Sutter, but he is really making it hard. I get what he is trying to do, and maybe this type of motivational tactic will work, but it seems like it is a crappy way of doing things.

I’m sure DS had plenty of nice things to say and talk about with Pelletier today and this week. You see him tapping players on the back, chatting with them and being supportive behind the bench. He was asked a question post game and gave an honest answer. Rather than saying the player played 6 minutes and had zero outcome on the game he instead read directly from the score sheet so that no one would misinterpret his answer to the question. FFS give the guy a break everybody.

He plays a vet, he gets scorched.

He plays a certain rookie, he gets scorched.

He doesn’t play a certain rookie, he gets scorched.

He gives an honest opinion, he gets scorched.

He reads from a score sheet, he gets scorched.

He supports a vet, he gets scorched.

He plays the goalie Y instead of goalie Z, he gets scorched.

He said this but did that, so he is scorched.

He doesn’t get 2pts, he gets scorched.

He gets a OTL, he gets scorched.

He’s shows young players tough love, he gets scorched.

He wins, he gets scorched for his post game interview.

If this was LA, its just a normal interview and done. Here, every word is micro analysed, misinterpreted or criticized beyond belief. You would have to be nuts (or DS) to want to coach or GM in this city. DS is doing a great job, we all need to sit back, shut up and watch the man do his thing, enjoy it while he is here because the next coach will not be nearly as good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I understand it. He's just trying to calm the wolves down and away from hyping the kid.

I used to like Sutter's pressers.

Always entertaining and rarely confrontational.

That had completely changed this year.

He rarely has time now to give an answer to a good question.

Even those hockey guys that just want to focus on the game play get snide answers.

Perhaps this goes back to the days before Phillips was called up or played.

Anyway, it's a stupid way of answering the question.

You don't think he knew what the kid did out there or what his number was?

So, with his couple of chances and low ice time, what are the chances he plays against CBJ.

He played because Sutter sat Ruzicka.

33 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

I’m sure DS had plenty of nice things to say and talk about with Pelletier today and this week. You see him tapping players on the back, chatting with them and being supportive behind the bench. He was asked a question post game and gave an honest answer. Rather than saying the player played 6 minutes and had zero outcome on the game he instead read directly from the score sheet so that no one would misinterpret his answer to the question. FFS give the guy a break everybody.

He plays a vet, he gets scorched.

He plays a certain rookie, he gets scorched.

He doesn’t play a certain rookie, he gets scorched.

He gives an honest opinion, he gets scorched.

He reads from a score sheet, he gets scorched.

He supports a vet, he gets scorched.

He plays the goalie Y instead of goalie Z, he gets scorched.

He said this but did that, so he is scorched.

He doesn’t get 2pts, he gets scorched.

He gets a OTL, he gets scorched.

He’s shows young players tough love, he gets scorched.

He wins, he gets scorched for his post game interview.

If this was LA, its just a normal interview and done. Here, every word is micro analysed, misinterpreted or criticized beyond belief. You would have to be nuts (or DS) to want to coach or GM in this city. DS is doing a great job, we all need to sit back, shut up and watch the man do his thing, enjoy it while he is here because the next coach will not be nearly as good.

It’s pretty fair to criticize and ask questions about a coach that has an underperforming team. At this point we are barely holding on to a playoff spot and with Colorado getting healthy they will probably bump us out of that spot fairly soon. I would say he hasn’t been doing a great job this year.

He hasn’t been able to establish an identity for this team, which in the past has been his calling card. 

To me it seems like he is starting to lose the room.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It’s pretty fair to criticize and ask questions about a coach that has an underperforming team. At this point we are barely holding on to a playoff spot and with Colorado getting healthy they will probably bump us out of that spot fairly soon. I would say he hasn’t been doing a great job this year.

He hasn’t been able to establish an identity for this team, which in the past has been his calling card. 

To me it seems like he is starting to lose the room.

Not certain I would call the team underperforming. DS lost 2/3 of his #1 line and most offensive contributing players then inherited 2 cowboys from Florida that knew nothing about, or payed little attention to defense while contributing nothing on offense, until recently. Hubs still hasn’t got it, fails to shoot and fails to get puck in deep. Weegar is slowly getting it as his wreakless pinching has disappeared, but hope he learns to use it again selectively.

Don’t worry about COL they will grab a top 3 position in their division, there are other teams we need to be concerned about in the wild card position. The Flames identity this year is the same as last year, take care of your end first, the offense will come, play hard every shift .... but or goaltending has fallen off compared to last year.

Did the effort today appear like DS lost the room? More the opposite. The SC champs looked ordinary today while the Flames showed up and played for DS.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Not certain I would call the team underperforming. DS lost 2/3 of his #1 line and most offensive contributing players then inherited 2 cowboys from Florida that knew nothing about, or payed little attention to defense while contributing nothing on offense, until recently. Hubs still hasn’t got it, fails to shoot and fails to get puck in deep. Weegar is slowly getting it as his wreakless pinching has disappeared, but hope he learns to use it again selectively.

Don’t worry about COL they will grab a top 3 position in their division, there are other teams we need to be concerned about in the wild card position. The Flames identity this year is the same as last year, take care of your end first, the offense will come, play hard every shift .... but or goaltending has fallen off compared to last year.

Did the effort today appear like DS lost the room? More the opposite. The SC champs looked ordinary today while the Flames showed up and played for DS.

We were in one of the easiest stretched of the schedule.

Very few teams in the playoff bubble.

9 wins and 10 losses since December 9th.

Points in OTL and SOL, sure.

By Sutter's calculations, we need to be higher thab .650 in points %.

I have heard of one recently traded for player that is fed up.

Trash the player if you like, but they expected to play for a class organization.

Some of his public comments have irked the players.

Comments like "player was having a Satoshi Nakamoto".

Personally, if I was a regular player and I heard the coach dismiss the effort in public of a rookie, I would be pissed.  That shows no class.  Go watch Rudy and see what players feel about guys that practice hard and because of their size won't get a fair shot.  

The same team that lost to CHI, STL, NAS and COL didn't play for the coach any more today than in those losses.  Then again, we had a different goalie tonight.  

My god is everyone dramtic about this. Be happy the kid played everyone was pissing an moaning for him to get a chance, he did, Now everyone is have a Fing melt down cause there was no parade. His perfmorance tonight was no different than Phillips, meh.  Reallly the kid played 6 minutes hell other than the one shot he had never really noticed him either. Sutter in the press confernaces is probably different than behind close doors. I have to agree with Cheers man, every one needs to shut it and enjoy the win. FFS this was one of this clubs better played games and your all focused on rolling out the red carpet. I can see why Sutter gets pissed, he is trying to win a cup but having to answer questions on a player that had ZERO affect on the ourtcome of the game, its actually embarrsing. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tmac70 said:

My god is everyone dramtic about this. Be happy the kid played everyone was pissing an moaning for him to get a chance, he did, Now everyone is have a Fing melt down cause there was no parade. His perfmorance tonight was no different than Phillips, meh.  Reallly the kid played 6 minutes hell other than the one shot he had never really noticed him either. Sutter in the press confernaces is probably different than behind close doors. I have to agree with Cheers man, every one needs to shut it and enjoy the win. FFS this was one of this clubs better played games and your all focused on rolling out the red carpet. I can see why Sutter gets pissed, he is trying to win a cup but having to answer questions on a player that had ZERO affect on the ourtcome of the game, its actually embarrsing. 

It was the most enjoyable Flames game I've watched this season. This is the team we want to cheer for, win or lose, play a 60 minute game.

Why do we give a flying Blockchain what Sutter tells the press? Throw the vultures curveballs, sliders and knuckleballs always.

He's face to face with his team. They prolly laugh about his pressers over dinner.

• Like 3

Instead of a stupid !Blockchain Eric Francis clickbait sound-byte, here's the whole interview.

Has everyone not gotten on board that Sutter almost never gives praise to any one player? Harken back to last year with each guy on the top line hitting milestones, he completely swept it aside.

"Jakob Pelletier, what # is he"? That's priceless.

Does anyone know any lifelong hockey player with really tender feelings?lol

That line is funny, but not nearly as funny as the reaction of fans whose feelings are hurt.

Such a 2023, "oh no, consider his feelings", reaction. Life sucks, get a helmet.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We were in one of the easiest stretched of the schedule.

Very few teams in the playoff bubble.

9 wins and 10 losses since December 9th.

Points in OTL and SOL, sure.

By Sutter's calculations, we need to be higher thab .650 in points %.

I have heard of one recently traded for player that is fed up.

Trash the player if you like, but they expected to play for a class organization.

Some of his public comments have irked the players.

Comments like "player was having a Satoshi Nakamoto".

Personally, if I was a regular player and I heard the coach dismiss the effort in public of a rookie, I would be pissed.  That shows no class.  Go watch Rudy and see what players feel about guys that practice hard and because of their size won't get a fair shot.  

The same team that lost to CHI, STL, NAS and COL didn't play for the coach any more today than in those losses.  Then again, we had a different goalie tonight.  

Let’s look at the so called "easy part" of the schedule.

Since Dec 9 (your date) Flames have 6 regulation time losses in 21 games.

14 of 21 games (2/3) were on the road with trips to CLB, TOR, MTL, SJx2, ANA, LA, SEA, WPG, CHI, STLx2, DAL, NAS.

They zig zagged across the continent flying 21,937 km, often arriving in hotels or home after midnight.

7 of the 21 games (1/3) were played at home vs VANx2, STL, EDM, NYI, COL, TB.

They had 3 non game days over Christmas break.

They finished 9 W, 6 L and 6 OTL during this time.

I guess we could criticize their OT record while playing 3 on 3 or in the shoot out but that part of the game is non-relevant come playoffs.

Other teams are greedy, they want points too while playing in front of their home crowd.

DS needs to continually find ways to keep his team focused over the gruelling 82 game schedule.

Expectations here need to be tempered because there is no easy part in the schedule.

• Like 1