Darryl Sutter new head coach

The_Tribal Chief

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Weekes needs to get better sources.  Was not even close on this one.

I would imagine that Huska might get some interest in the next year.

It will be interesting to see where his career goes. I am a fan and think he has done an excellent job for the organization. His name appears on lists but mostly as a dark horse. 

lately it seems the league is trending away from assistants though and they want that bench experience. I wonder if at any point Huska would return to the AHL to run a bench to get that back on his resume. I know Muller did this to try and make himself a more rounded candidate so be curious to see what direction Huska goes. 

I would hate to lose him but at the same time one of the things the Flames have done a really good job of under Treliving is develop coaches. 

40 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So Huska is still a Flames as of right now?

He would have to have permission given to the other teams to interview him.  It may still happen, but not as of now.  It would seem that we are mostly recycling coaches.  A couple replaced by young guys.  A few high end ones left.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

This is pretty damn good for some insight into Sutter. Hope you enjoy...

That is so bang on.. I remember he was getting really annoyed talking about personal bests, or milestones .. couldn't care less..all about team.  I'm sure he gave em their kudos in the room but. Team first..

You get a role..you play that role . I don't think I have ever heard an ex player with anything bad to say about playing for him.. 

Also explains those nights when he's got the Lucic line out for a powerplay when we need a goal ..   never think he does not know what he's doing or if there's a reason for it ..

Plus i totally remember the game he sent the goalie coach out.  Lol 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

That is so bang on.. I remember he was getting really annoyed talking about personal bests, or milestones .. couldn't care less..all about team.  I'm sure he gave em their kudos in the room but. Team first..

You get a role..you play that role . I don't think I have ever heard an ex player with anything bad to say about playing for him.. 

Also explains those nights when he's got the Lucic line out for a powerplay when we need a goal ..   never think he does not know what he's doing or if there's a reason for it ..

Plus i totally remember the game he sent the goalie coach out.  Lol 

It really is great right? I love so much in this. "Lose the battle, win the war". Rebuilding Lucic, treating 4th line players the same as 1st line, putting the 4th line out on the PP to send a message, telling Conny and Iginla, "it's alright boys, I'll give you the night off, I know it's hard out there".lol

Glad you liked it.

16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It really is great right? I love so much in this. "Lose the battle, win the war". Rebuilding Lucic, treating 4th line players the same as 1st line, putting the 4th line out on the PP to send a message, telling Conny and Iginla, "it's alright boys, I'll give you the night off, I know it's hard out there".lol

Glad you liked it.

It's a Sutter thing. I remember Brent Sutter putting 5 D out for the PP one time when he was coaching the Flames lol

• Like 1

I like Sutter, he did a good job with instilling a foundation and identity to play with last year. I just hope he’s able to adjust better on the fly next season. I get the need to play with structure and within the systems but we likely won’t be scoring as much as we did last season, Flames will need to be even more solid defensively to balance out the loss of offence, hopefully Sutter and co. will be open to making more changes if required. Can’t just keep expecting to roll the same lines and expect different results. 

24 minutes ago, rickross said:

I like Sutter, he did a good job with instilling a foundation and identity to play with last year. I just hope he’s able to adjust better on the fly next season. I get the need to play with structure and within the systems but we likely won’t be scoring as much as we did last season, Flames will need to be even more solid defensively to balance out the loss of offence, hopefully Sutter and co. will be open to making more changes if required. Can’t just keep expecting to roll the same lines and expect different results. 

3rd best in GA last year by a solid margin.  It gets lost that this team was still a team that performed like a Sutter team defensively, because of the seasons Gaudreau and Tkachuk had, we might see less 5-2 wins this year, but the good news is 3-2 or 4-2 wins count the exact same way in the standings.

33 minutes ago, rickross said:

In some ways, it's up to BT and the pro scouts to define the players that Sutter has available.  You know he like to roll a gritty 4th line, but that was due to available players.  Monahan couldn't get going, so he was shuffled between 3rd and 4th line.  We at times used Ricthie in the top 6 because we had few options on RW.  We brought in Carpenter and lost Ruzie as a result of roster limits.  We knew Toffoli was a shooter, but never found him a spot that consistently hit him on the fly or in good shooting positions.  We settled having one scoring line and one shutdown line.  

So, BT has to go out and make deals to maintain or improve.  And he has to position the roster numbers to not have too many PTO's to evaluate.  Make most of your trades and signings in the summer to have the most time to set up lines.

• 1 month later...

Here is an interesting thought…every player of any type of skill set Sutter has made even better to some

degree, in some cases he’s propelled guys into star status like Iggy, gaudreau and Tachuck…not to mention the guys in LA back in the day…sure many were trending up much like the afore mentioned but they all got even better under Sutter 

should be interesting to see what he can do with Hubs, Weegar and Kadri…all are top level players without Sutter, I’m interested to see how much better they can be under Sutter…it’s bound to happen it’s just what Sutter dose takes an ok player makes him good, takes a good player and makes them great and takes great players and turns them into star players…and takes star players and makes them into an icon (Iggy) looking forward to Hubs and maybe even others on this team becoming star or even legendary players? 

4 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Here is an interesting thought…every player of any type of skill set Sutter has made even better to some

degree, in some cases he’s propelled guys into star status like Iggy, gaudreau and Tachuck…not to mention the guys in LA back in the day…sure many were trending up much like the afore mentioned but they all got even better under Sutter 

should be interesting to see what he can do with Hubs, Weegar and Kadri…all are top level players without Sutter, I’m interested to see how much better they can be under Sutter…it’s bound to happen it’s just what Sutter dose takes an ok player makes him good, takes a good player and makes them great and takes great players and turns them into star players…and takes star players and makes them into an icon (Iggy) looking forward to Hubs and maybe even others on this team becoming star or even legendary players? 

I think the difference is those new players already play responsible hockey.  Sutter is going to give them a lot more rope that Tkachuk and Gaudreau had.  No flashy stuff, just honest hockey.  I don't think we will see the fans out of their seats for individual plays like an amazing JG sequence as much.  But I do think we will see Sutter hockey at its finest.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think the difference is those new players already play responsible hockey.  Sutter is going to give them a lot more rope that Tkachuk and Gaudreau had.  No flashy stuff, just honest hockey.  I don't think we will see the fans out of their seats for individual plays like an amazing JG sequence as much.  But I do think we will see Sutter hockey at its finest.

I would rather see that honest hockey, gotta say.

However, Sutter at his finest requires a 21 year old Drew Doughty and a 25 year old J Quick.

Not sure BT got that part done.

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I would rather see that honest hockey, gotta say.

However, Sutter at his finest requires a 21 year old Drew Doughty and a 25 year old J Quick.

Not sure BT got that part done.

When I said more rope, I was referring to the fact they already play the right way.  So, he doesn't need to reel them in or get on them for fancy stuff.  

The snipe about young players is fine, except that times are changing...Again.  

What worked one year doesn't work every year.

Tampa had a young goalie for two (special years) cups.

STL one year.

You don't need a young goalie to win, just a good to great goalie or one hitting his stride.

Maybe do a better job of managing his starts.

Or have players that can score in the first round of the playoffs so you don't run him down too fast.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

When I said more rope, I was referring to the fact they already play the right way.  So, he doesn't need to reel them in or get on them for fancy stuff.  

The snipe about young players is fine, except that times are changing...Again.  

What worked one year doesn't work every year.

Tampa had a young goalie for two (special years) cups.

STL one year.

You don't need a young goalie to win, just a good to great goalie or one hitting his stride.

Maybe do a better job of managing his starts.

Or have players that can score in the first round of the playoffs so you don't run him down too fast.

Was a triple snipe:  Youth, defence, and goaltending.   Not just the youth

Ultimately, the Flames post-season success is going to hinge on how the D and G perform.  I am of the opinion that very minimal improvements were made.   I do believe that if the Flames are to prove me wrong, it has to come from exceptional performance from these positions.  That is what you bank on with Sutter hockey.  I'm just not sure he was given enough to work with.  We'll see.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Was a triple snipe:  Youth, defence, and goaltending.   Not just the youth

Ultimately, the Flames post-season success is going to hinge on how the D and G perform.  I am of the opinion that very minimal improvements were made.   I do believe that if the Flames are to prove me wrong, it has to come from exceptional performance from these positions.  That is what you bank on with Sutter hockey.  I'm just not sure he was given enough to work with.  We'll see.

All wrapped up into youth, right?

Very few have won it all with youth.

It pays to have it in places, but not all 3.

COL had a young D, mostly just one guy.

STL had a young goalie.

Tampa had a young G with many years in the league and a couple of young killers at F.

Their best D was 28.

The triple threat means nothing unless they are tops in the league.

If you only believe that the D and G make a diference, we got better in the 1 spot.

No other improvements on D or G.

Having Vladar build trust wuth Sutter will allow him to be more stingy.

It was't just Marky.

But that really hurt.

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

All wrapped up into youth, right?

Very few have won it all with youth.

It pays to have it in places, but not all 3.

COL had a young D, mostly just one guy.

STL had a young goalie.

Tampa had a young G with many years in the league and a couple of young killers at F.

Their best D was 28.

The triple threat means nothing unless they are tops in the league.

If you only believe that the D and G make a diference, we got better in the 1 spot.

No other improvements on D or G.

Having Vladar build trust wuth Sutter will allow him to be more stingy.

It was't just Marky.

But that really hurt.

Your sarcasm aside, we did seem to get a touch better on D, yes.  Lost some, got some who should more than compensate.  The question is how much better.   The way I see it, we're still one strong D short.  And no change on the goaltending.    Now, maybe BT thinks we can cut corners here, or maybe...maybe he thinks Sutter can "make our D good".

It's admittedly within the realm of possibility, that Sutter can make this team good defensively with a 2nd season behind him.   But I'm not buying it, and if it doesn't happen I'm also not blaming Sutter.    In my eyes the notion that any coach can turn guys like Hanifin from defensive liabilities into our first line of defense, is far-fetched, even with the very best coaches which Sutter is.

We'll see.   I'd love to be wrong.  Just saying that if I am, it'll be because our Hanifins and Rasmus's pull through, our Weegar's live up to the extremely lofty expectations, and something better happens in the goaltending realm.   That will be what it takes for us to go further.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Friendman speculating he thinks Sutter may get an extension. 

At this point I'm betting the Flame just go year by year with him. If you want to coach, here is your deal. I think they'll take him as long as he wants to coach. 

I hope so. I hope though, that he can adjust a bit more to what's going on in games. I'd like to see some line matching if certain players can take down McDavid or McKinnon or other teams' top lines. 

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

Friendman speculating he thinks Sutter may get an extension. 

At this point I'm betting the Flame just go year by year with him. If you want to coach, here is your deal. I think they'll take him as long as he wants to coach. 

Might as well take it year by year.  The window could close in 2 to 5 years.  Such a wide gap so nobody knows.