Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Who would we draft at 2OA?

Trade the 2nd OA to Buffalo for their 9th and 16th and a prospect 

or Trade the 2nd OA to Buffalo for their 9th and 28th and a player

Then trade the 9th OA for a decent player

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

All those point and only a plus 15 this season.  LOL.

So, we pay Tkachuk this season or JT Miller next season.

From a division opponent, they want a ton.

Do we still have Baertschi?

I’ve got a few counters to that: 😊
- Best plus minus out of every one of those Centermen over the 3 year trend

- He’s playing for a team that didn’t make the playoffs despite his efforts

- Center > Winger

- Next season Looch and Mony’s salary come off the books (if it doesnt happen beforehand)

- Most importantly, Darryl Sutter will help him improve that plus minus stat. Believe it. 😁👍🏻

6 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I’ve got a few counters to that: 😊
- Best plus minus out of every one of those Centermen over the 3 year trend

- He’s playing for a team that didn’t make the playoffs despite his efforts

- Center > Winger

- Most importantly, Darryl Sutter will help him improve that plus minus stat. Believe it. 😁👍🏻

I don't like the lineup you have with JT in.  LOL

Mange and Jarny?

Dube in the 3rd line LW?

I think the top line has a few goals to offset, but Toffoli isn't a 40 goal guy.

Think we can do better.  LOL

Where did Tkachuk bugger off to BTW?

VAN?  They didn't like him when they had the chance for nothing.

How about Thomas + Kyrou for Tkachuk? JK.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I don't like the lineup you have with JT in.  LOL

Mange and Jarny?

Dube in the 3rd line LW?

I think the top line has a few goals to offset, but Toffoli isn't a 40 goal guy.

Think we can do better.  LOL

Where did Tkachuk bugger off to BTW?

VAN?  They didn't like him when they had the chance for nothing.

How about Thomas + Kyrou for Tkachuk? JK.

That lineup I said was strictly removing Chucky and inserting a 2C. We will have a lot more flexibility to change the remaining personnel 😂 like adding Jeannot (please please please!) Not sure where Chucky goes really, but I don’t see moving him being an issue at all. It wouldn’t be Chucky for Miller of course. 

Oh man. You remember when I suggested Thomas + Kyrou for Chucky way back. Wasn’t it you that told me well after the season started that we’d be lucky to get one of the two? Would you do a Thomas for Chucky straight up? I understand Thomas is coming into his own. Would he be a good 2C?

22 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Trade the 2nd OA to Buffalo for their 9th and 16th and a prospect 

or Trade the 2nd OA to Buffalo for their 9th and 28th and a player

Then trade the 9th OA for a decent player

I'm thinking why NJ would do this and it has to be done after Tkachuk rejects the qualifying offer... but which happens first?  The draft happens before the qualifying offer right?  NJ would risk Tkachuk taking a 1-year and then leaving UFA after.  That's too much risk for a 2OA.  This trade doesn't work unless Tkachuk has already signed an 8-year extension.

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm thinking why NJ would do this and it has to be done after Tkachuk rejects the qualifying offer... but which happens first?  The draft happens before the qualifying offer right?  NJ would risk Tkachuk taking a 1-year and then leaving UFA after.  That's too much risk for a 2OA.  This trade doesn't work unless Tkachuk has already signed an 8-year extension.

Rumors are NJD wants to trade their 2oa

53 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Rumors are NJD wants to trade their 2oa

So the deadline to send a qualifying offer to an RFA is the day after the NHL draft but I guess the Flames can send one to Tkachuk early to see if he's going to take a 1-year.  If he rejects it to negotiate a long term deal, then we can trade him on the draft floor to NJ for the 2OA.

That all said, I would draft Slafkovsky, Nemec, or Jiricek.  These are franchise level players and I wouldn't trade them away.

2 hours ago, LouCifer said:

That lineup I said was strictly removing Chucky and inserting a 2C. We will have a lot more flexibility to change the remaining personnel 😂 like adding Jeannot (please please please!) Not sure where Chucky goes really, but I don’t see moving him being an issue at all. It wouldn’t be Chucky for Miller of course. 

Oh man. You remember when I suggested Thomas + Kyrou for Chucky way back. Wasn’t it you that told me well after the season started that we’d be lucky to get one of the two? Would you do a Thomas for Chucky straight up? I understand Thomas is coming into his own. Would he be a good 2C?

I think I suggested the two for one, but was shot down by Conundrumed most likely.

But it goes to show you what  thought he was worth.

Seeing the two from St Lou in the season and playoffs, un un.

I think we keep both Gaudreau and Tachuck…trade Backlund 

Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tachuck 

????/Monahan/toff

Manji/????/coleman

Lucic/???/????

maybe Pelletier slots in at 2nd line LW or 3rd line Ctr?

personally, I think they should also try and move Lucic but I don’t think that’s happens and I’m not sure about Dube, he seems to be a square peg in a round hole on this team…maybe trade him, though I’d rather not move Dube he just seems to be a bounce around and fill a hole guy on any Cgy roster.

also, Monahan is not getting a BO, nor is he traded, so I figure he slots in on 2nd line Ctr…if he moves I don’t see it till TDL after he’s proven himself and is less of an injury risk.

Backlund is far to $$$ for the third line, but is probably the best ROI trade chip this year.

I don’t expect much change this year unless Gaudreau or Tachuck or both don’t re-sign…but I think both do.

30 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

????/Monahan/toff

Manji/????/coleman

Lucic/???/????

personally, I think they should also try and move Lucic but I don’t think that’s happens and I’m not sure about Dube, he seems to be a square peg in a round hole on this team…maybe trade him, though I’d rather not move Dube he just seems to be a bounce around and fill a hole guy on any Cgy roster.

also, Monahan is not getting a BO, nor is he traded, so I figure he slots in on 2nd line Ctr…if he moves I don’t see it till TDL after he’s proven himself and is less of an injury risk.

Backlund is far to $$$ for the third line, but is probably the best ROI trade chip this year.

I don’t expect much change this year unless Gaudreau or Tachuck or both don’t re-sign…but I think both do.

You missed Dube and Ruzicka. Dube for sure is a lock with a good contract and is only 23. He hasn't plateaued yet.

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

????/Monahan/toff

Manji/????/coleman

Lucic/???/????

Look. I beat up Backlund all year. I was done with him. But - seeing how well he and his line played in the playoffs made me realize how important he actually is. Backlund has been unfairly tasked with being BOTH our shutdown center and our 2nd line (offensive) center after Monahan struggled. It was unrealistic for him to be both. Getting a 2C that would effectively take over Backlund's power play and scoring duties, will give us a better Backlund the whole season through. Let Backs focus on the defensive side of the game, PKs - no more PPs, and chip in here and there when he can. That will keep him fresh, and our 1C and 2C fresh for the offensive assignments. A good 2C will make a significant impact on the assignment of players and how our team plays in all situations (EV, PK, PP, 4-on-4) etc. 

2 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Look. I beat up Backlund all year. I was done with him. But - seeing how well he and his line played in the playoffs made me realize how important he actually is. Backlund has been unfairly tasked with being BOTH our shutdown center and our 2nd line (offensive) center after Monahan struggled. It was unrealistic for him to be both. Getting a 2C that would effectively take over Backlund's power play and scoring duties, will give us a better Backlund the whole season through. Let Backs focus on the defensive side of the game, PKs - no more PPs, and chip in here and there when he can. That will keep him fresh, and our 1C and 2C fresh for the offensive assignments. A good 2C will make a significant impact on how our team plays in all situations (EV, PK, PP, 4-on-4) etc. 

I would also like if they replaced Lindholm on the 1st PK unit.

He's defensive enough, even though he will get jobbed on the Selke voting.

His minutes used at 5v5 might be better used.

Get him some extra minutes elsewhere or save him for when we need him.

I don't have the metrics when he played on the PK, but I would suggest that he wasn't out for a lot of PPG against.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would also like if they replaced Lindholm on the 1st PK unit.

He's defensive enough, even though he will get jobbed on the Selke voting.

His minutes used at 5v5 might be better used.

Get him some extra minutes elsewhere or save him for when we need him.

I don't have the metrics when he played on the PK, but I would suggest that he wasn't out for a lot of PPG against.

I keep Jarnkrok on my radar for this very reason. Sure, he didn't provide us with a lot of offence, but I liked his defensive game. If he could come back and play PK for us I think that would be a good way to relieve Lindholm and keep him fresh. 

I've always thought a team should be constructed in such a way that your top 6 facilitates your PP and your bottom 6 takes care of your PK. This reduces the wear and tear on all your players. I've never subscribed to the idea that most of your team has to be constructed of "200 foot players" that can "do it all". I believe in specialization. Players that bring a specialty to the table and to the team.

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

I keep Jarnkrok on my radar for this very reason. Sure, he didn't provide us with a lot of offence, but I liked his defensive game. If he could come back and play PK for us I think that would be a good way to relieve Lindholm and keep him fresh. 

I've always thought a team should be constructed in such a way that your top 6 facilitates your PP and your bottom 6 takes care of your PK. This reduces the wear and tear on all your players. I've never subscribed to the idea that most of your team has to be constructed of "200 foot players" that can "do it all". I believe in specialization. Players that bring a specialty to the table and to the team.

We have the same philosophy.  I believe top 6 forwards should be used for the PP and bottom 6 for the PK.  I know some forwards excel at everything but you risk your forwards getting injured from blocked shots during a PK.  Plus, save the energy for offense.  I want our PK forwards to be Jarnkrok, Lewis, Dube, Coleman, Backlund, etc, etc. (Yes get a 2C so Backlund/Coleman become 3rd line shut down players.)

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We have the same philosophy.  I believe top 6 forwards should be used for the PP and bottom 6 for the PK.  I know some forwards excel at everything but you risk your forwards getting injured from blocked shots during a PK.  Plus, save the energy for offense.  I want our PK forwards to be Jarnkrok, Lewis, Dube, Coleman, Backlund, etc, etc. (Yes get a 2C so Backlund/Coleman become 3rd line shut down players.)

Bingo!

6 hours ago, MP5029 said:

So Monahan is a 2nd line Center because his contract dictates it but not his play?

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So Monahan is a 2nd line Center because his contract dictates it but not his play?

I his overall career has been 1st/2nd line Ctr…I think if Heathy he returns to that level. 

dose he fit on this team is another question all together, in some ways yes and in some ways no, love Monahan but I do think he’s not

fitting into the chemistry of this particular team…maybe a bit with Toffoil, but not

with Manji, Dube or Coleman.

buying him out your not gonna get a cap room enough to sign Gaudreau, Tachuck and bring in another Ctr…best option is to plug him in on line 2 with Toffoil and try and get a LW for that line then you can definitely afford a 3rd line Ctr to pir

with Manji and Coleman 

again, if he returns to form maybe a TDL trade one he’s proven to be healthy for a year.

15 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I his overall career has been 1st/2nd line Ctr…I think if Heathy he returns to that level. 

dose he fit on this team is another question all together, in some ways yes and in some ways no, love Monahan but I do think he’s not

fitting into the chemistry of this particular team…maybe a bit with Toffoil, but not

with Manji, Dube or Coleman.

buying him out your not gonna get a cap room enough to sign Gaudreau, Tachuck and bring in another Ctr…best option is to plug him in on line 2 with Toffoil and try and get a LW for that line then you can definitely afford a 3rd line Ctr to pir

with Manji and Coleman 

again, if he returns to form maybe a TDL trade one he’s proven to be healthy for a year.

We all want a healthy Monahan.  It took him so long to get back up to speed after one hip surgery.  It's reasonable to assume it will take just as long for him to get back up to speed after a second hip surgery.

He's essentially 4th line material if he can't move around the ice fast enough.

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't disagree with some of your ideas.  Who is that magic C that we get though.

And our team without Tkachuk; are we better, worse or the same.

I would suggest slightly worse.

I don't know the Looch situation and will save judgement until after the summer.

He served his time well and the fans love him.

They would be as upset if we move Tkachuk as one of the cost savers.

He's earned the right to retire with grace.

Nothing short of a cup means much to him.

it is too bad the NHL has changed so much. There was a time when you could deal a Tkachuk for an up and coming Player with similar perigee. And maybe that still happens when a team is fully ready for a cup.

In this situation, it would have to be a team with plenty of C options that needs a top line winger to complete a line. It would have to be a player who had the ability but can’t crack a top 6 role that would come Calgary’s way. 

What teams have that? 

also, what i meant by how the NHL has changed, having young players on lower contracts is how some teams win. It would have to be a team looking to use Tkachuk long term and willing to give up that player. 

is it out there or do we settle for picks? A D? Or a few Second line talents?

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

We all want a healthy Monahan.  It took him so long to get back up to speed after one hip surgery.  It's reasonable to assume it will take just as long for him to get back up to speed after a second hip surgery.

He's essentially 4th line material if he can't move around the ice fast enough.

the hope is that having surgery earlier might mean that he’s up closer to 100% earlier in the season?

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the hope is that having surgery earlier might mean that he’s up closer to 100% earlier in the season?

Of course we hope so.

In a perfect world, we package both Lucic + Toffoli together to cut $9.5-mil and use that to bring back Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, and still have room for Monahan to return.  Two of Lucic, Toffoli, or Monahan has to go to cut cap.