2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

12 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Buffalo messed that up when the season started and he wasn't traded. Chucky must go during the summer when every team has cap space to compete with each other. And anything I post here assumes Mony is not on our roster next season. 

Move Toff up to 1RW.

Inquire with Rakell (RW)

Mange partners with the new 2C 

Backs and Coleman stay as a pair on line 3

Bring Jarnkrok back 

Lewis - Ruzicka - Looch for line 4 (yes, I assume Looch is still in the fold and it works with Chucky out)

I don't disagree with some of your ideas.  Who is that magic C that we get though.

And our team without Tkachuk; are we better, worse or the same.

I would suggest slightly worse.

I don't know the Looch situation and will save judgement until after the summer.

He served his time well and the fans love him.

They would be as upset if we move Tkachuk as one of the cost savers.

He's earned the right to retire with grace.

Nothing short of a cup means much to him.

19 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Thats too early to call as of now, up to this point I call it a wash.  JEs game coming back is all well and good but what Buffalo does with the freed up cap space will be a bigger factor.

If you sign both Johnny and Chucky there will be cap casualties. You can throw out the names of Mony, Looch and Hanifin all you want but the NMCs may prove troublesome.

Chucky brings you your best return and even though you may not get the return you want you probably wont get it with anyone you ship out with everyone else knowing the cap crunch the team would be in.

When I say lost the trade, I mean that they did not get the better player.  Tuch has been in the league for some time now and never put up Eichel level scoring.  He probably does better than he did in Vegas, but that was a function of their depth.  

Lucic is a conversation.  We salvaged his career and gave him purpose.  He has one year left with an actual salary of $1M and a nice SB in July.  Monahan is a buyout, a trade to restart his career, or a cap non-casualty.  DET may be a good landing spot for him.  Close to his roots.  A team that can afford him.  A place where he has talent to play with. 

I don't know if I mentioned trading Hanifin or not.  Maybe it was for Chychrun.  I was more frustrated with his playoff play than anything else.  That is about the only place he may improve, otherwise it's what you see you get.   

One player I would like the Flames try to acquire this off season is Tanner Jeannot.  He's the real deal.. next Ferland-type and scored 24-goals.  He doesn't look out of place in the top 6 because he can provide offense while hitting everything and finish every check.  I don't know NSH's situation... if they lose Forsberg then they may as well go full rebuild.  Jeannot is 25.  $800k 1-year.  RFA after.  It's a steal of a contract for 1-year.  He's the type of depth guy you can win Cups with.

NSH probably looking for picks and prospects if they rebuild.. If not rebuilding, then maybe they want Toffoli, Kylington, Dube, or even Mangiapane.

I have a feeling BT will check in with Ben Chiarot UFA because BT tried to acquire him at the TDL but didn't succeed.  I'm guessing Chiarot will cost $4.5-mil x 4 years for the 31-year-old. 

I don't watch Chiarot enough.  LHS LS/RD.  Is he a Tanev type who can shut things down, good PK, and close out a game?  If so then I would be in favour because we need to add one more Tanev-type since Tanev is an injury concern every year.  6'-3" 235 lbs.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

One player I would like the Flames try to acquire this off season is Tanner Jeannot.  He's the real deal.. next Ferland-type and scored 24-goals.  He doesn't look out of place in the top 6 because he can provide offense while hitting everything and finish every check.  I don't know NSH's situation... if they lose Forsberg then they may as well go full rebuild.  Jeannot is 25.  $800k 1-year.  RFA after.  It's a steal of a contract for 1-year.  He's the type of depth guy you can win Cups with.

NSH probably looking for picks and prospects if they rebuild.. If not rebuilding, then maybe they want Toffoli, Kylington, Dube, or even Mangiapane.

I see no reason why they can't re-sign Forsberg.  Do they want to is a different story.

Sure, trade for Jeannot and we don't need Lucic or Ritchie.

I would give up Dube for him.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I have a feeling BT will check in with Ben Chiarot UFA because BT tried to acquire him at the TDL but didn't succeed.  I'm guessing Chiarot will cost $4.5-mil x 4 years for the 31-year-old. 

I don't watch Chiarot enough.  LHS LS/RD.  Is he a Tanev type who can shut things down, good PK, and close out a game?  If so then I would be in favour because we need to add one more Tanev-type since Tanev is an injury concern every year.  6'-3" 235 lbs.

Okay, so he's a target.  I thought he was better last year in the playoffs.

But you do that instead of Kylington or Valimaki.

No cap room otherwise.

I suspect he would re-sign in FLA for that little, but more in Canada.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I love Jeannot. But I don’t see NSH trading him. If there’s any indication they’d consider doing that I hope we’d be all over it. 100% yes. 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

No. He gets billed at a defensive dman but he really doesn't back that up in his play. He'd be a horrible add. Be better off giving Z that contract and i'm not even a fan of that decision. 

28 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

No idea. I think Poile likes his D to be sorted out so maybe Valimaki would peak his interest in that regard? 

I still have hope that Valimaki can turn it around, but I don't think he is tipping the scales in trades this offseason, he can be a piece in a trade but at this point, on his own he maybe he gets a Sven Baertschi type return, but I don't see him as a key piece in a major trade, but I also don't see a major trade in the cards until the UFA/RFA dominos fall.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I just think we lose any trade with Tkachuk going the other way.

If some team wants to overpay by a wide margin then so be it.

I could see NJD trading their 2nd OA and a prospect for Chucky. 

They have the cap and they need an agitator.

A year of Sutter with Trafoli and Jarnkrok would close to balance out the loss of Chucky. 

With a 2nd OA pick the market has expanded. Even a trade down would give us a 1st round pick and an excellent player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The ask would be insane from Nashville.

Chicago got two 1sts for Brandon Hagel. Jeannot makes half of what Hagel does. If the ask isn't two 1st's from Nashville it will be a 1st and a Coronato

Wow.  Ya he's that good... But that said, Hagel has two more years at $1.5-mil.  Jeannot is looking at $5-mil next summer.

If it's 1st + Zary then it's worth a thought because we want to win the Cup before BT and Sutter contracts expire.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Wow.  Ya he's that good... But that said, Hagel has two more years at $1.5-mil.  Jeannot is looking at $5-mil next summer.

If it's 1st + Zary then it's worth a thought because we want to win the Cup before BT and Sutter contracts expire.

If it was at this TDL, it's likely in that two 1st range because you get two playoff runs and he makes the same amount as Trevor Lewis. 

With only a yr it likely goes down a bit, but still a very costly acquisition. 

That being said, a 20 goal power-forward for 800k would be a fantastic addition. 

1st, Dube, additional pick and a Pelletier or Coranato, I'd think you are looking at something between the Hagel and Coleman package.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't disagree with some of your ideas.  Who is that magic C that we get though.

And our team without Tkachuk; are we better, worse or the same.

I would suggest slightly worse.

I don't know the Looch situation and will save judgement until after the summer.

He served his time well and the fans love him.

They would be as upset if we move Tkachuk as one of the cost savers.

He's earned the right to retire with grace.

Nothing short of a cup means much to him.

I know you’re a big Chucky fan TD - your avatar says as much. I want to be clear that I’m not trolling in the slightest when I suggest Chucky should be moved. I try to keep in my mind that team success is greater than any individual roster player, no matter how much I (or the fan base) like that player. Chucky and Johnny are due raises and for me it’s no contest who is the more valuable to our success out of the two. Keeping both will simply make 2 players on our roster account for a total of 20-25% of our entire team cap space. The math there just simply doesn’t work if a Stanley cup is what we want in the near future. 

In response to the bolded, I without question believe a 2C makes us a better team than holding on to Chucky. To illustrate, here’s a sample lineup for next season which removes Chucky and includes a handful of potential 2Cs - you tell me if we look better or worse. This doesn’t include any potential other moves - just addressing Chucky and 2C. 

Johnny - Lindholm - Toffoli

Mange - Trochek | JT Miller | Scheifele | Norris | Copp | Barzal - Jarnkrok

Dube - Backlund - Coleman

Lewis - Ruzicka - Looch

Monahan + Chucky = over $13M in cap space today. $15M if Chucky signs for $9M moving forward. There’s A LOT we can fix and improve with that amount of salary and I do think it makes us better and harder to defeat. 

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Perfect timing for Looch’s $5M to come off the books everyone! Sounds like a plan to me Peeps! I’m on board. 

2 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Perfect timing for Looch’s $5M to come off the books everyone! Sounds like a plan to me Peeps! I’m on board. 

It would actually be fairly easy to retain Jeannot in this hypothetical.

Lots of Flames will only have 1yr left after 22/23

Lindholm

Backlund

Dube

Toffoli

Hanifin

Tanev

Obviously, Lindholm would be priority 1, but there are plenty of options for the Flames to move a guy to keep Jeannot

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I could see NJD trading their 2nd OA and a prospect for Chucky. 

They have the cap and they need an agitator.

A year of Sutter with Trafoli and Jarnkrok would close to balance out the loss of Chucky. 

With a 2nd OA pick the market has expanded. Even a trade down would give us a 1st round pick and an excellent player. 

Who would we draft at 2OA?

25 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I know you’re a big Chucky fan TD - your avatar says as much. I want to be clear that I’m not trolling in the slightest when I suggest Chucky should be moved. I try to keep in my mind that team success is greater than any individual roster player, no matter how much I (or the fan base) like that player. Chucky and Johnny are due raises and for me it’s no contest who is the more valuable to our success out of the two. Keeping both will simply make 2 players on our roster account for a total of 20-25% of our entire team cap space. The math there just simply doesn’t work if a Stanley cup is what we want in the near future. 

In response to the bolded, I without question believe a 2C makes us a better team than holding on to Chucky. To illustrate, here’s a sample lineup for next season which removes Chucky and includes a handful of potential 2Cs - you tell me if we look better or worse. This doesn’t include any potential other moves - just addressing Chucky and 2C. 

Johnny - Lindholm - Toffoli

Mange - Trochek | JT Miller | Scheifele | Norris | Copp | Barzal - Jarnkrok

Dube - Backlund - Coleman

Lewis - Ruzicka - Looch

Monahan + Chucky = over $13M in cap space today. $15M if Chucky signs for $9M moving forward. There’s A LOT we can fix and improve with that amount of salary and I do think it makes us better and harder to defeat. 

My avatar only represents lazyness.

I look at similar year players; Matthews, Laine, PLD, Tkachuk.

Laine makes us better.

PLD might be a wash.

The reason I say that is that Tkachuk scores goals a lot of ways.

Some of his assists are just the other player doing the work.

But, he's been a big part of the offense, even as a kid coming in and playing on a defensive line.

Only one season on a top line.

The rest was MMM and MMA lines.

He blew them away.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Gets us a winger.

Just missing that 2C and 1D.

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_compare.php?players[]=4111&players[]=4098&players[]=2896&players[]=5237&players[]=2918&players[]=3481&period=2021-2022%3AR%3A99

I hope this link works. 

I compared the stats for all the 2Cs mentioned this far to get an idea of which player seems to make the biggest impact in the most important areas of the game. 

I focus mostly on the 3-year comparison because it indicates player trends and what you can typically expect from them year after year. 

Colour me surprised to see JT Miller leading the lot of them in the most important metrics, and ALSO being a close runner up in many metrics where he wasn’t the top performer. Statistically he is the cream of the crop, and his 3 year trend suggests you can expect him to continue to achieve those numbers. 

Check out the link for yourselves. I give VAN whatever they want for him. He replaces Chucky and then some. Makes us insanely tough to play against as a 2C.