2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

Just now, robrob74 said:

Listening to Valamaki on FlamesTalk podcast, he doesn't sound revved at all. He sounds like going through the motions and may need a change of scenery or some form of success. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/flames-talk/id1603908478?i=1000580729343

i hope he can get his game back. It would be good for the team to. 

It's unfortunate, but it's time he shows what we thought he would be.  Kylington had as much reason to be upset with getting constantly put aside in favor of TDL useless guys.  But he showed up ripped and took the spot.  You want a spot, don't be a high maintenance guy.  You get instructions, do what is asked.  

Sorry, that's me being a jerk.  It's a tough gig.  He should be a top 6 guy by now.  But he didn't look like one when he played the few he did.  And he certainly didn't go to the AHL and become the top guy.  I do know that he fought Sutter last year in the AHL and was suspended.  But we have lots of players that have faced each other.

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's unfortunate, but it's time he shows what we thought he would be.  Kylington had as much reason to be upset with getting constantly put aside in favor of TDL useless guys.  But he showed up ripped and took the spot.  You want a spot, don't be a high maintenance guy.  You get instructions, do what is asked.  

Sorry, that's me being a jerk.  It's a tough gig.  He should be a top 6 guy by now.  But he didn't look like one when he played the few he did.  And he certainly didn't go to the AHL and become the top guy.  I do know that he fought Sutter last year in the AHL and was suspended.  But we have lots of players that have faced each other.

i don't think it's jerk at all. Just needing him to show more. I'm kind of fed up with him too, but for the sake of the Flames I want him to take a step, but feel it's a trade. 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yikes.

As much as that sounds good, the new deal for JR will be a killer.

Think 8+

DAL trying to do some kind of $5-mil x 3-year bridge.  Robertson needs to prove he can repeat 40G and Point-per-Game to get a big contract.   I'm sure Robertson wants to cash in big immediately.  We don't have the cap space.

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yikes.

As much as that sounds good, the new deal for JR will be a killer.

Think 8+

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

DAL trying to do some kind of $5-mil x 3-year bridge.  Robertson needs to prove he can repeat 40G and Point-per-Game to get a big contract.   I'm sure Robertson wants to cash in big immediately.  We don't have the cap space.

Dallas only has $6M in cap available, so either Dallas has to free some cap or Robertson has to accept $6M or less. Robertson would of course fill more than a few needs for this team - restores some scoring to the lineup, youth, size, and the fact he can play RW even though he's a left shot. Looking at our roster though, I don't see us as a great fit to be a trading partner with DAL, so that's why I looked at Hanifin as a start. I'd include Dube as well and do a 2-for-1, but again DAL has cap issues. Hanifin + Valimaki could work as Thomas Harley is waiver exempt, but Dallas then receives 2 defensemen for a one time 40 goal scorer... I don't think that's in DAL's appetite. It also thins out our blueline and I'm not sure how much Mackey or Stone belongs in the top 6? Just dreaming I guess. 

1 minute ago, LouCifer said:

Dallas only has $6M in cap available, so either Dallas has to free some cap or Robertson has to accept $6M or less. Robertson would of course fill more than a few needs for this team - restores some scoring to the lineup, youth, size, and the fact he can play RW even though he's a left shot. Looking at our roster though, I don't see us as a great fit to be a trading partner with DAL, so that's why I looked at Hanifin as a start. I'd include Dube as well and do a 2-for-1, but again DAL has cap issues. Hanifin + Valimaki could work as Thomas Harley is waiver exempt, but Dallas then receives 2 defensemen for a one time 40 goal scorer... I don't think that's in DAL's appetite. It also thins out our blueline and I'm not sure how much Mackey or Stone belongs in the top 6? Just dreaming I guess. 

You just talked yourself out of the deal LOL.

I'm not sure what JR would do for us; sometimes we aren't the best fit for players.

I thought Jarnkrok would fit like a glove, not a rubber boot.

Dube should be a 20g guy, but looks like a Janko.

Valimaki is not impressing.

Maybe it's the D first coaching.

It works for some not all.

Willie Nee would probably be a 20 g guy here, since Sutter would strip him down to being a 2 way player.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You just talked yourself out of the deal LOL.

I'm not sure what JR would do for us; sometimes we aren't the best fit for players.

I thought Jarnkrok would fit like a glove, not a rubber boot.

Dube should be a 20g guy, but looks like a Janko.

Valimaki is not impressing.

Maybe it's the D first coaching.

It works for some not all.

Willie Nee would probably be a 20 g guy here, since Sutter would strip him down to being a 2 way player.

😂 True!

The Flames lost two top 6 players in the summer. BT did an excellent job of adding two top 6 forwards after the fact. The thing is, the Flames lost two wingers and added a C and LW.

That's to say, I'm not sure the Flames are going to find a top 6 winger internally.

I think it's going to come in-season, via trade. The Flames have spent a ton of money on 10 and 91, they're all-in. Spend the assets and get a Meier, Bratt or Pastrnak. The cost would be high, but if you're all-in, as an organization, go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn’t want to start a new thread, and didn’t really know where to post this. But tonight I just wanted to say I was super happy to see Money put one in the net, he looked good and I’m glad he is healthy again. On another note I feel a little terrible that I was equally happy to see Laine go down and Johnny struggle to find space 😬. (psa-not happy Laine got injured, never want to see someone get injured).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

Didn’t want to start a new thread, and didn’t really know where to post this. But tonight I just wanted to say I was super happy to see Money put one in the net, he looked good and I’m glad he is healthy again. On another note I feel a little terrible that I was equally happy to see Laine go down and Johnny struggle to find space 😬. (psa-not happy Laine got injured, never want to see someone get injured).

Interested to see how Johnny does this year.

He's always been the driver of his line, but when he was in Calgary, he was always surrounded with talent. Boone Jenner is a good bottom 6 C, but he should not be centering Gaudreau...

In keeping up with the old guys Tkachuk and Bennett on Florida's 2nd line with Balcers, if Balcers fails they should just throw Lomberg on instead.  Will be interesting for both as that's a big dropoff Tkachuk going from Lindy and Johnny, and if can Benny keep up from his early days in Florida.

28 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Interested to see how Johnny does this year.

He's always been the driver of his line, but when he was in Calgary, he was always surrounded with talent. Boone Jenner is a good bottom 6 C, but he should not be centering Gaudreau...

He just lost Laine for 3-4weeks too.

On 10/12/2022 at 8:03 PM, pikey7883 said:

Really happy for Monahan. Wish there was a world in which he could have worked here longterm without being a liability. Lol, I’m kind of opposite on Johnny. I hope he does really well in Columbus, even though he could have handled the situation a whole lot better. On the other hand, as much as I respect Chucky for how he left the Flames organization, I’m still a bit sour on him for some reason. I think it’s mainly because he’s always been such a non-factor in the playoffs for us. Johnny redeemed himself on that front this last time around, but Chucky sure didn’t. It kinda makes it feel like Chucky was already on his way out the door before the season had ended. Either way, very happy with the new additions, makes it a lot easier not to miss what we lost.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pcs said:

Really happy for Monahan. Wish there was a world in which he could have worked here longterm without being a liability. Lol, I’m kind of opposite on Johnny. I hope he does really well in Columbus, even though he could have handled the situation a whole lot better. On the other hand, as much as I respect Chucky for how he left the Flames organization, I’m still a bit sour on him for some reason. I think it’s mainly because he’s always been such a non-factor in the playoffs for us. Johnny redeemed himself on that front this last time around, but Chucky sure didn’t. It kinda makes it feel like Chucky was already on his way out the door before the season had ended. Either way, very happy with the new additions, makes it a lot easier not to miss what we lost.

I’ve always considered Tkachuk kinda toxic. There’s that arrogance about him from dear old dad. JG always had a great demeanour. Kadri and Weegar have great demeanours. You can be good without being cocky. Huberdeau always seems intense af. Never sure if he wants to laugh or punch you.lol

I like this mix way better.

JG’s a fantastic player, it’s too bad his personality kept him from being forthcoming. He shouldn’t really be ostracized for having a, “avoid confrontation at all costs” personality. That’s usually a good trait. Just bad timing, but also makes you think he didn’t really wanna leave.

Hate the habs, but hope Mony has a great comeback.

39 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I’ve always considered Tkachuk kinda toxic. There’s that arrogance about him from dear old dad. JG always had a great demeanour. Kadri and Weegar have great demeanours. You can be good without being cocky. Huberdeau always seems intense af. Never sure if he wants to laugh or punch you.lol

I like this mix way better.

JG’s a fantastic player, it’s too bad his personality kept him from being forthcoming. He shouldn’t really be ostracized for having a, “avoid confrontation at all costs” personality. That’s usually a good trait. Just bad timing, but also makes you think he didn’t really wanna leave.

Hate the habs, but hope Mony has a great comeback.

I have less time for a return of Tkachuk than JG.

JG was a real star, not just a jerk that helped the team.

JG was the one thing that made the team look good.

Tkachuk was always the DB that we were glad we didn't have to play against.

Seems like he is now saying he never had any intent to play here as long as he suggested.

Wants to drive golf carts around and have chix in swim suits.

Can't say he is a jerk for that, but is he interested in hockey?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Wants to drive golf carts around and have chix in swim suits.

Can't say he is a jerk for that, but is he interested in hockey?

Well I think this is at the heart of both of them leaving. JG wants to put family first and it seems like perhaps he’s chosen a MUCH quieter market, where nobody on the street really expects anything of him, to do that (I honestly can’t imagine what it must be like being an NHL player in Calgary or Edmonton or Montreal, much less the guy everyone is hanging all their expectations on). Chucky’s all about the lifestyle away from the ice. I don’t begrudge either of them those things, on a personal level. But as a hockey fan, you sure like to see those guys that bring that extra level of commitment to the ice on your team. There just seems to be more compete with the new crew, and none of Chucky’s “I’m good enough to not have to work for it” demeanour. Hoping it all sticks…

35 minutes ago, pcs said:

Well I think this is at the heart of both of them leaving. JG wants to put family first and it seems like perhaps he’s chosen a MUCH quieter market, where nobody on the street really expects anything of him, to do that (I honestly can’t imagine what it must be like being an NHL player in Calgary or Edmonton or Montreal, much less the guy everyone is hanging all their expectations on). Chucky’s all about the lifestyle away from the ice. I don’t begrudge either of them those things, on a personal level. But as a hockey fan, you sure like to see those guys that bring that extra level of commitment to the ice on your team. There just seems to be more compete with the new crew, and none of Chucky’s “I’m good enough to not have to work for it” demeanour. Hoping it all sticks…

Yeah, I'm of that opinion as well.

Done with the whip pass to an area that JG might happen to be.

How many icings did that result in over clean breakaways.

Done with the flashy shot attempts, between the legs stuff.

As difficult as it is to defend, it takes away a direct shot and rebound.

Give me Kadri that goes to the net.

Call it back if you like, but he is a direct threat to score.

I held my nose when we drafted him.

Was okay with the super pest and giving his all.

For some time, it seemed like he would grow into his skates and take another step.

He seemed to turn into a guy that played the way he wanted to.

Coach loved and hated his play.