2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

48 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Doing a deal right now just doesn't make financial sense for Gaudreau. Right now the only GM the Gaudreau camp have ever dealt with is BT. Like it or not, there's tampering in the weeks leading up to UFA. By waiting, it drives up the price for the player as other teams will reach out to him

How many teams out there offer a chance at being a contender.

I would say we are closer to one than the Oilers.

Not that they are offering a deal or that he would even consider.

But the contenders out there are that because they maximized cap.

The Debbies are not close and may get there sometime.

Canes are closer, but not the type of team he excels on.

TBL?  No way they pay.

TO?  Never mind.

I don;t think there is much chance he gets to FA.

The work starts now and the camps will be working the numbers.

BT won't go in with an insulting offer.

There is no chance now.

There may be a divide to begin with, but not 13-8.

More like 12-10.

Give him the money early and a NTC in the first 5 years.

Use the bonus structure to give it up front.

2 hours ago, LouCifer said:

If Scheiffle is available, we HAVE TO go for him. The C position is so critical for success. Imagine the impact and difference it would make for this team to have the following down the middle:

Lindholm

Scheiffle

Backlund

Jarnkrok (this assumes we get him back, but we also have Dube, potentially Lewis back, Ruzie)… 

Rumours are the Jets want to sign PLD long term and if he signs, then they can trade Scheifele.  It leaves them with PLD and Perfetti 1/2 punch down the middle which is pretty solid.  They've got Connor, Wheeler, and Ehlers to round out the top 6.  I bet they'd like to add Tkachuk to that mix.

Timing is everything.  Hopefully Tkachuk holds out until training camp which allows WPG to sort out their PLD situation first.  Then we can do a Tkachuk for Scheifele deal prior to us extending Tkachuk.  I too would like Scheifele > Tkachuk because Center position is way more important.  We can extend Scheifele for "Tkachuk's money" long term if the fit is good.

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Rumours are the Jets want to sign PLD long term and if he signs, then they can trade Scheifele.  It leaves them with PLD and Perfetti 1/2 punch down the middle which is pretty solid.  They've got Connor, Wheeler, and Ehlers to round out the top 6.  I bet they'd like to add Tkachuk to that mix.

Timing is everything.  Hopefully Tkachuk holds out until training camp which allows WPG to sort out their PLD situation first.  Then we can do a Tkachuk for Scheifele deal prior to us extending Tkachuk.  I too would like Scheifele > Tkachuk because Center position is way more important.  We can extend Scheifele for "Tkachuk's money" long term if the fit is good.

Timing is everything.

We have to offer Tkachuk a QO.

He gets the sense that he's being discussed in a trade, and he signs.

No risk for him to do that.

Big risk for WPG.

The obvious thing is a 29 year old C vs a 24 year old LW/RW.

Now if you suggest PLD for Tkachuk, we are talking.

Sheifele is a bit under-rated no doubt.

But the draft pedegree and season resulys are near the same.

If we are doing a Sheifele for Tkachuk, I want a sweetener.

Don't get me wrong, I like MS.

He probably fits Sutter's game like a glove.

Would be a big weapon on the PP.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Timing is everything.

We have to offer Tkachuk a QO.

He gets the sense that he's being discussed in a trade, and he signs.

No risk for him to do that.

Big risk for WPG.

The obvious thing is a 29 year old C vs a 24 year old LW/RW.

Now if you suggest PLD for Tkachuk, we are talking.

Sheifele is a bit under-rated no doubt.

But the draft pedegree and season resulys are near the same.

If we are doing a Sheifele for Tkachuk, I want a sweetener.

Don't get me wrong, I like MS.

He probably fits Sutter's game like a glove.

Would be a big weapon on the PP.

Ya that's the thing.  Who is worth more in a trade?  The 24-year-old winger who posted career numbers and needs to get paid big time?  Or the career point-per-game Center who is 28 but two years from UFA and could walk away somewhere else?... But Scheifele's $6.125-mil x 2 lets us do some damage for two years like bring back Zadorov and Gudbranson.  Otherwise we might have to play Kylington-Stone bottom pairing and that's a big drop down.

All said, I think Center is more important.  We can do,

Gaudreau - Lindholm - RW

Mangiapane - Scheifele - RW

Coleman - Backlund - RW

RW floaters are Dube, Toffoli, and Pelletier.

I didn't crunch all the numbers but maybe we can still keep Lucic and bring back one of Zadorov or Gudbranson depending on their new deals.  The alternative is to keep Tkachuk long term but be forced to downgrade depth at D.

If we buyout Monahan, then is that $3-mil x 2-year buyout penalty?

If so, then can we turn around and sign Monahan to a 1-year $1-mil deal?  Does that circumvent the cap, keep Monahan to make Gaudreau happy, and still pay Monahan all his money so he's also happy?

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

If so, then can we turn around and sign Monahan to a 1-year $1-mil deal?  Does that circumvent the cap, keep Monahan to make Gaudreau happy, and still pay Monahan all his money so he's also happy?

Monahan buyout costs 2.3 mill in 22/23 and 2 mill in 23/24.

Would think Monahan is the most likely to be bought out because a Lucic buyout doesn't accomplish much. 

I don't see a Michael Stone situation with Monahan, if Monahan is bought out there would be interest around the league that he could leverage a decent deal for himself, nothing like he was making, but I would say very slim chance he is back if bought out.  As close as they are I don't believe they are mutually inclusive.

I don’t think Monahan is going anywhere, our FO% as a team is really bad without him and the PP is definitely less effective…

moreover, I think things change next year for him and he produces far better…

personally, the move to make here is Backlund via trade and maybe a Lucic buy out…maybe…but definitely Backlund is the smart move…also trade Dube as much as I hate the idea he’s better off on a new team and we could Him to bring in a decent 3rd line Ctr or RW 

Backlund could fetch a 1st is we are lucky or worse case a solid Ctr prospect that could evolve into a 2nd liner…then after next season or even the season after that we could look at moving Monahan who’s value should be much better if for no reason than his health should be better and the possibility that he rebounds…his overall game has improved a lot so he’s definitely much closer to a 200 ft player than he ever was, since Sutter has had him , and I think we a new Monahan in the next 2 years…I actually think we may be talking about how do re-sign both Lindholm and Monahan…but that’s a good problem to have…

Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tachuck

Coleman/Monahan/ Toffoil

manji/ Ruzi Or new Ctr / New RW

Lucic/ New Ctr/new RW 

I think Ruzi take a huge step next year and if not maybe Pelletier or someone via trade or FA…Stone maybe? 

i see BT making a few moves to the Ctr position it may not

shake out the way I’m suggesting but I definitely think there will more added to that position and maybe more RW depth (better quality)…

The only other thing I could see is he guns for a stud #1 D but I’m not sure he goes that route…I think he brings back Zaddy and maybe adds another Tanev type to the mix so they can beef up the Ctr slot at 3/4 lines they were kinda weak after Monahan went down…so it’s clearly an issue to address 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya that's the thing.  Who is worth more in a trade?  The 24-year-old winger who posted career numbers and needs to get paid big time?  Or the career point-per-game Center who is 28 but two years from UFA and could walk away somewhere else?... But Scheifele's $6.125-mil x 2 lets us do some damage for two years like bring back Zadorov and Gudbranson.  Otherwise we might have to play Kylington-Stone bottom pairing and that's a big drop down.

All said, I think Center is more important.  We can do,

Gaudreau - Lindholm - RW

Mangiapane - Scheifele - RW

Coleman - Backlund - RW

RW floaters are Dube, Toffoli, and Pelletier.

I didn't crunch all the numbers but maybe we can still keep Lucic and bring back one of Zadorov or Gudbranson depending on their new deals.  The alternative is to keep Tkachuk long term but be forced to downgrade depth at D.

Now you’re talking Peeps.

Look, I’ll say it out loud. If we sign and bring back both Johnny and Chucky for $$$, I don’t think we can fill out a roster that’ll bring home a cup. There’s no 2 ways about it in my mind. It’s not an *if* we can trade Chucky, it’s a *must*, because Johnny > Chucky and tying up that much $ in a pair of wingers is a recipe for disaster for years and years to come. 

Look what happened in LA when Doughty got his $10m, not enough green to go around and he’s been crying ever since. Look what’s happening in Toronto. 4 players making almost half the cap. Guys like Thornton and Giordano signing for $750-800k and they still likely can’t even bring back Campbell for goalie… Campbell people!! It’s crazy. 

Anyway, back on topic here. Target Scheiffle. See what it takes to get him. I, unlike most here, believe Monahan has value to other teams. Not saying it’s WPG, but I wonder if they’d consider Mony + Kylington or maybe even Mony + Valimaki (I’m not high on Valimaki) for Scheiffle. Chucky may be better used in a different trade and I have a hard time seeing him sign long term in WPG. 

As an aside. If Chucky is traded away and we really want to replace his edge - I’m not necessarily the biggest fan of the guy, but for the intangibles, Max Domi may fit the bill. He’ll be a UFA and I don’t think  he’ll be making another $6m per year on his next contract. Just a thought. I’m sure there are other players out there that can fit the bill as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't see a Michael Stone situation with Monahan, if Monahan is bought out there would be interest around the league that he could leverage a decent deal for himself, nothing like he was making, but I would say very slim chance he is back if bought out.  As close as they are I don't believe they are mutually inclusive.

Well here's the thing for me,

1. We may have no choice but to buy him out anyways if we can't trade him.

2.  I doubt anyone wants to pay him more than $2-mil after spending all season on the Flames 4th line.  Two hip surgeries.  He's a high risk player to sign.

49 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

I like Scheifele a lot and he ticks a lot of boxes.

Size, RHS, C, PP.

The only thing that concerns me is his defensive play as it leaves a little to be desired.

He backchecked pretty hard on Jake Evans... And I mean, Tkachuk is not a stud defender either.  I know Center has more defensive responsibilities so maybe Dube on his wing can balance out the defense on his line.  It's about being able to form a good line and having more Centers gives us more options.

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Now you’re talking Peeps.

Look, I’ll say it out loud. If we sign and bring back both Johnny and Chucky for $$$, I don’t think we can fill out a roster that’ll bring home a cup. There’s no 2 ways about it in my mind. It’s not an *if* we can trade Chucky, it’s a *must*, because Johnny > Chucky and tying up that much $ in a pair of wingers is a recipe for disaster for years and years to come. 

Look what happened in LA when Doughty got his $10m, not enough green to go around and he’s been crying ever since. Look what’s happening in Toronto. 4 players making almost half the cap. Guys like Thornton and Giordano signing for $750-800k and they still likely can’t even bring back Campbell for goalie… Campbell people!! It’s crazy. 

Anyway, back on topic here. Target Scheiffle. See what it takes to get him. I, unlike most here, believe Monahan has value to other teams. Not saying it’s WPG, but I wonder if they’d consider Mony + Kylington or maybe even Mony + Valimaki (I’m not high on Valimaki) for Scheiffle. Chucky may be better used in a different trade and I have a hard time seeing him sign long term in WPG. 

As an aside. If Chucky is traded away and we really want to replace his edge - I’m not necessarily the biggest fan of the guy, but for the intangibles, Max Domi may fit the bill. He’ll be a UFA and I don’t think  he’ll be making another $6m per year on his next contract. Just a thought. I’m sure there are other players out there that can fit the bill as well. 

Ya there is no scenario where we sign both Gaudreau and Tkachuk and we become a better team this coming October than we were a week ago.   Our cap situation simply means we have to use our farm for unproven replacements.

Tkachuk at $10 vs Scheifele at $6 is a pretty obvious choice for me since we are in win-now mode.

Moreover, we all talked about the benefits of getting another scoring Center to bump Backlund down to 3rd line C.  This exactly allows us to do so.

That said, Monahan is a non-starter for a superstar player like Scheifele. Monahan has 1-year to UFA, coming off surgery, coming off his worst season ever, and played mostly 4th line all year, etc.  He can be a throw in but not the central piece in a trade.  Maybe we can start a conversation using Hanifin since he had a decent year and raised his trade value.

In turn, we move Tkachuk for a #1 LD like Chabot or something.  How about one of Dahlin or Power from BUF?  BUF has two #1 LD and they want someone like Tkachuk to captain their rebuild.

2.  I doubt anyone wants to pay him more than $2-mil after spending all season on the Flames 4th line.  Two hip surgeries.  He's a high risk player to sign.

He’s a 27 year old multi 30-goal scorer who plays Center and is in the final year of his contract. That’s gotta be attractive to some teams out there to take a 1 year flyer on him. He’s a perfect candidate for a “show me” year with no commitment to him beyond the one season. And don’t forget whatever the return is for Mony offsets his salary for the acquiring team (He makes $6m in actual dollars this year, a savings of $325k compared to his cap hit). Mony is tradable. His NTC may get in the way a bit, but he’s tradable. It also matters what we ask for in return. 

So, I took a look at WPG on CapFriendly because of my interest in Scheifele. It looks like their D is pretty set for the next few seasons, so I don’t think they’ll have much interest in acquiring a D back in trade. Stastny though is UFA and older, and they appear to need some forwards. As much as I’d rather not trade him, I wonder if WPG would be interested in Dube + Mony for Scheifele. Scheifele is a UFA in 2 seasons and apparently there’s some friction there. Dube is an RFA in 2 seasons giving WPG control. Mony gives them a C in return who they can audition for a role with the team. I don’t know. Sounds like 2 Centermen who could use a change of scenery. Maybe adding Dube to the trade makes the swap palatable for WPG. Maybe retaining $1m on Mony’s salary (it’s only for one season anyway) could also help facilitate the trade. Acquiring players that give them future control like Dube seems like something that may interest them?

2 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

He’s a multi 30-goal scorer who plays Center and is in the final year of his contract. He’s a perfect candidate for a “show me” year with no commitment to him beyond the one season. And don’t forget whatever the return is for Mony offsets his salary for the acquiring team (He makes $6m in actual dollars this year, a savings of $325k compared to his cap hit). Mony is tradable. His NTC may get in the way a bit, but he’s tradable. It also matters what we ask for in return. 

So, I took a look at WPG on CapFriendly because of my interest in Scheifele. It looks like their D is pretty set for the next few seasons, so I don’t think they’ll have much interest in acquiring a D back in trade. Stastny though is UFA and older, and they appear to need some forwards. As much as I’d rather not trade him, I wonder if WPG would be interested in Dube + Mony for Scheifele. Scheifele is a UFA in 2 seasons and apparently there’s some friction there. Dube is an RFA in 2 seasons giving WPG control. Mony gives them a C in return who can audition for a future role with the team. 

That's either over valuing Monahan too much or under valuing Scheifele.  If the Jets shop Scheifele, then you can bet they can do better than Monahan + Dube.  Scheifele is a top 10 Center in the NHL.

I get the whole "Monahan is only 27" argument so he can fully recover from surgeries and come back.  He's young enough.  But still.  A disgruntled Scheifele should be worth at least the same as Jack Eichel with a broken neck.

42 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's either over valuing Monahan too much or under valuing Scheifele.  If the Jets shop Scheifele, then you can bet they can do better than Monahan + Dube.  Scheifele is a top 10 Center in the NHL.

I get the whole "Monahan is only 27" argument so he can fully recover from surgeries and come back.  He's young enough.  But still.  A disgruntled Scheifele should be worth at least the same as Jack Eichel with a broken neck.

Sure. You’re likely right. What do you think we’d have to give up for Scheifele Peeps?

Ya there is no scenario where we sign both Gaudreau and Tkachuk and we become a better team this coming October than we were a week ago.   Our cap situation simply means we have to use our farm for unproven replacements.

Tkachuk at $10 vs Scheifele at $6 is a pretty obvious choice for me since we are in win-now mode.

Moreover, we all talked about the benefits of getting another scoring Center to bump Backlund down to 3rd line C.  This exactly allows us to do so.

That said, Monahan is a non-starter for a superstar player like Scheifele. Monahan has 1-year to UFA, coming off surgery, coming off his worst season ever, and played mostly 4th line all year, etc.  He can be a throw in but not the central piece in a trade.  Maybe we can start a conversation using Hanifin since he had a decent year and raised his trade value.

In turn, we move Tkachuk for a #1 LD like Chabot or something.  How about one of Dahlin or Power from BUF?  BUF has two #1 LD and they want someone like Tkachuk to captain their rebuild.

You and I are seeing things similarly Peeps. I don’t know much about Ottawa, but, given the opportunity to unite the Tkachuk brothers, do you think they’d entertain a 2-for-2 swap that includes a D and Fwd moving for both teams? Again, I don’t know how married to these players Ottawa is, but, do you think they’d entertain a Tkachuk + Hanifin for Chabot + Batherson (RW)? The salaries and ages are pretty much identical and it ensures there’s no holes to fill in for either team as they both get a forward and Dman. 

30 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Sure. You’re likely right. What do you think we’d have to give up for Scheifele Peeps?

I think it will take a superstar for a superstar.  Like Tkachuk.  Last major deal for WPG was Laine + Roslovic for PLD.

If not then it's hard for the Flames to make a deal for Scheifele because we don't have a bluechip prospect like Krebs, Byfield, or Zegras or something.

Tkachuk does a lot for them.  Let's them lock up a young star for 8-years and daddy Keith was a captain there before.  I understand Keith wasn't universally liked in WPG so maybe Matthew can change that for the better.  It would be a nice feel good story for the WPG hockey market.

37 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

You and I are seeing things similarly Peeps. I don’t know much about Ottawa, but, given the opportunity to unite the Tkachuk brothers, do you think they’d entertain a 2-for-2 swap that includes a D and Fwd moving for both teams? Again, I don’t know how married to these players Ottawa is, but, do you think they’d entertain a Tkachuk + Hanifin for Chabot + Batherson (RW)? The salaries are almost identical and it ensures there’s no holes to fill in just a Chucky for Chabot swap. 

Chabot would already a big commitment towards uniting the Tkachuks.  Can't get Batherson too.  He's on a steal of a contract so it will take extra to pry him out.

OTT has Jake Sanderson who has #1 LD potential so that could fill the hole left by Chabot if not immediately then in two years or so.  OTT isn't a Cup contender immediately anyways.  I think Hanifin is a second pairing Damn so that's not too hard for OTT to find that from a trade that doesn't involve Batherson who is a star player.

I don't even think OTT trades Chabot for anything other than the potential to unite the Tkachuk brothers.  It's a special situation.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

that’s the point…1. We were a better team with him than without him, regardless of what line he played, he was on 3rd line mostly, but was pushed to the 4th line sometimes, probably to grove the 4th line a boat by what I seen.

buy out makes no sense. 

he’s a high risk player yes because of injuries so trades make no sense as the return would be low

He is signed for 2 more years

we lack Ctrs, especially for PP and FO’s

i just don’t see Monahan going anywhere, the only thing that makes sense is to keep him, he may re-bound and I believe he will he was far too good to have fallen this badly without a reason for it, turns out it’s his other hip…I think he will be much better this year.

at the end of the day, the team was better with him than without him, if he gets healed up, he’s gonna be much better and we are gonna be happy to have the issues of to sign both Monahan and Lindholm…

4 hours ago, MP5029 said:

that’s the point…1. We were a better team with him than without him, regardless of what line he played, he was on 3rd line mostly, but was pushed to the 4th line sometimes, probably to grove the 4th line a boat by what I seen.

buy out makes no sense. 

he’s a high risk player yes because of injuries so trades make no sense as the return would be low

He is signed for 2 more years

we lack Ctrs, especially for PP and FO’s

i just don’t see Monahan going anywhere, the only thing that makes sense is to keep him, he may re-bound and I believe he will he was far too good to have fallen this badly without a reason for it, turns out it’s his other hip…I think he will be much better this year.

at the end of the day, the team was better with him than without him, if he gets healed up, he’s gonna be much better and we are gonna be happy to have the issues of to sign both Monahan and Lindholm…

This is the year last of Monanan's deal. he is UFA next summer which is why the buyout actually does make quite a bit of sense as a potential option. 

Backlund was the Flames best player in the playoffs, their best two way and defensive center (playing for a coach who demands 2 way center play), and honestly right now if I were to put betting odds down on the next Flames captain it would be Backlund in the lead. 

I wouldn't expect Backlund to go anywhere. 

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't disagree that it could be the only option for the Flames, I just don't see a situation where nobody else wants him and he comes crawling back, real world if you are let go and offered the same role a few months later at a significant paycut, only the real desperate.  I think with Stone it was purely location, I don't think we should anticipate being able to do it all the time.

I'm not really sure why WPG trades a C for a winger.

Maybe it makes sense for targeting a player like Tkachuk?

But who do they have left for C?

PLD is all they have left.

Statsny is getting up there.

Wheeler is aging out.

Copp is gone.

Perfetti is a ways away.

If they trade Sheifele, then they need to do the same with Wheeler.

Not even for the same reason.

WPG has lost so many players over the last few years.

A lot of it because they PO players in some way.

Trouba, Laine, Big Buff, etc.

No idea which direction they are going.

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't disagree that it could be the only option for the Flames, I just don't see a situation where nobody else wants him and he comes crawling back, real world if you are let go and offered the same role a few months later at a significant paycut, only the real desperate.  I think with Stone it was purely location, I don't think we should anticipate being able to do it all the time.

Not to mention if it takes 2-3 mill to sign him (which I agree it will) you are really negating the cap savings done by buying him out. At that point you'd be better off trying to trade him with retained salary or taking a player back in the deal. 

Where Toronto just signed Spezza to a front office job, I wonder if that difficult conversation comes up with Lucic.  He's due his SB in July and playing for one season is worth $1M.  He would be a difficult trade before the SB is paid and does he really want to go to one of the 10 teams on his new list?

As much as he is a fan fave, you wonder how we can manage to fill out a roster with that cap hit.  Buying out Monahan accomplishes almost the same effect, but we drafted Monahan and he was a big part of the team long before Lucic came around.  Lucic suffered this season and finished with a AC sprain.    

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not really sure why WPG trades a C for a winger.

Maybe it makes sense for targeting a player like Tkachuk?

But who do they have left for C?

PLD is all they have left.

Statsny is getting up there.

Wheeler is aging out.

Copp is gone.

Perfetti is a ways away.

If they trade Sheifele, then they need to do the same with Wheeler.

Not even for the same reason.

WPG has lost so many players over the last few years.

A lot of it because they PO players in some way.

Trouba, Laine, Big Buff, etc.

No idea which direction they are going.

No one is going to take Wheelers contract without heavy compensation.

Trouba eventually drank from the same well as Adam Fox.  Not much the Jets could do about that.

Laine thought he should be gifted prime ice time and still has a more than questionable work ethic.

Roslovic was a mix of Trouba issues and Laine issues.

I think Buff was just done with it all, realized he was happier fishing than playing hockey. 

Personally I was shocked they extended Chevy instead of just firing him. He's known to not be trigger happy when it comes to trades and signings so there will be moves made but I think they want to fill the coaches chair first.