Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

So a lot of rumours out there as of late but this one kinda makes some sense.

to Buf Kadri + Vrc 2024 first

to Cgy Buf 2024 first

as things stand, that would give Cgy two top 10 picks…which, is probably a good gain for Cgy

its also good for Buf, they kinda need a guy like Kadri, given how he’s helped our young players this makes sense for Buf.

on the other hand, the chemistry Kadri has with our young players is a intangible asset that is hard to come by and probably needed moving forward.

in short I’m a little unsure if it’s a good move if it’s actually got some depth to this rumour…all and all I think I’d pull the pin and make that trade, if for no other reason than to have a shot at Tij and a D 

Not sure this is a needed trade right now. Calgary has almost 20 mil in cap space going into next season with only Kylington, Greer and Wolf looking for contracts. The Flames don’t need to move Kadri for cap space, and honestly would put the Flames around the cap floor. Moving any of Markstrom, Mangiapane, Kuzmenko, Andersson, Weegar, Backlund or Coleman without salary coming back would drop Calgary below the floor.

The only good reason to spend well below the cap would be to use it in trades (retaining salary for other teams for example). Otherwise may as well use it on FAs. 

Should the Flames take a run at Reinhart, Guentzel, Necas, Middlestat or someone else? Would any of them likely be core pieces coming out of a rebuild in 3-5 years? Would any speed up the rebuild? Would they choose to be part of a rebuild?

I’m not sure trading away cap (only real reason to move Kadri) is what the Flames need to do right now. Markstrom or Vladar to clear space for Wolf makes sense. Moving Mange from 3rd line to clear space for young guys like Pelletier or Coronato makes sense. Moving Anderson to clear space for prospects makes sense. Still need to add cap, but more reason than just clearing cap.

18 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Not sure this is a needed trade right now. Calgary has almost 20 mil in cap space going into next season with only Kylington, Greer and Wolf looking for contracts. The Flames don’t need to move Kadri for cap space, and honestly would put the Flames around the cap floor. Moving any of Markstrom, Mangiapane, Kuzmenko, Andersson, Weegar, Backlund or Coleman without salary coming back would drop Calgary below the floor.

The only good reason to spend well below the cap would be to use it in trades (retaining salary for other teams for example). Otherwise may as well use it on FAs. 

Should the Flames take a run at Reinhart, Guentzel, Necas, Middlestat or someone else? Would any of them likely be core pieces coming out of a rebuild in 3-5 years? Would any speed up the rebuild? Would they choose to be part of a rebuild?

I’m not sure trading away cap (only real reason to move Kadri) is what the Flames need to do right now. Markstrom or Vladar to clear space for Wolf makes sense. Moving Mange from 3rd line to clear space for young guys like Pelletier or Coronato makes sense. Moving Anderson to clear space for prospects makes sense. Still need to add cap, but more reason than just clearing cap.

Conroy did suggest the cap flexibility to sign some players. I hope they don't sign anyone just because they have the money to, but do it with the future in mind. 

8 hours ago, MP5029 said:

So a lot of rumours out there as of late but this one kinda makes some sense.

to Buf Kadri + Vrc 2024 first

to Cgy Buf 2024 first

as things stand, that would give Cgy two top 10 picks…which, is probably a good gain for Cgy

its also good for Buf, they kinda need a guy like Kadri, given how he’s helped our young players this makes sense for Buf.

on the other hand, the chemistry Kadri has with our young players is a intangible asset that is hard to come by and probably needed moving forward.

in short I’m a little unsure if it’s a good move if it’s actually got some depth to this rumour…all and all I think I’d pull the pin and make that trade, if for no other reason than to have a shot at Tij and a D 

BUF wants Kadri??  I don't doubt teams have interest in Kadri, I just don't think it would be BUF considering they have Thompson and Cozens 1/2 already.  If anything, they would want Wings and RD.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

BUF wants Kadri??  I don't doubt teams have interest in Kadri, I just don't think it would be BUF considering they have Thompson and Cozens 1/2 already.  If anything, they would want Wings and RD.

they go Cozens and first for Kadri and Andersson.

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

they go Cozens and first for Kadri and Andersson.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/nhl-rumors-sabres-could-make-a-play-for-nazem-kadri-this-summer/ar-BB1lsNqA#:~:text=As the team stares down,as a possible landing spot.&text=“The Sabres are a team on the rise.

Sounds like an NHL insider doing some fiction.  I also don't think Kadri has high trade value.  Unlikely to get that top 10 pick from BUF.

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/nhl-rumors-sabres-could-make-a-play-for-nazem-kadri-this-summer/ar-BB1lsNqA#:~:text=As the team stares down,as a possible landing spot.&text=“The Sabres are a team on the rise.

Sounds like an NHL insider doing some fiction.  I also don't think Kadri has high trade value.  Unlikely to get that top 10 pick from BUF.

I was thinking more that Andersson is the value, and Flames would have to add and probably retain on some salary? Maybe not, but thinking maybe it's Mangiapane added with retained, and hope they think the adds push them up.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I was thinking more that Andersson is the value, and Flames would have to add and probably retain on some salary? Maybe not, but thinking maybe it's Mangiapane added with retained, and hope they think the adds push them up.

Ya Andersson can.

Kadri feels like a cap dump moving forward.  Maybe can get a 2nd round pick.

I think Kadri is a Flame for the rest of his career.

He is having a great year. His second best in terms of production. Two years ago he had very few suitors in UFA. Two years older, I think you could trade him, but you’re talking about retaining for five years and I doubt you’re getting a haul. Maybe something like Karlsson to PIT. 1st and two cap dumps.

Maybe he wants out and things become untenable. Unless that happens, the Flames are probably better off keeping him.

Just playing along with suggestions, I don't think Flames want him out, and maybe happy with him and Weegar to mentor and be the beacon of attitude growth in CalgaryZ so gotta weigh that into it. 

only a year ago we heard players want to leave but then here we are shipping everyone out and then pissing on them because they don't want to be in Calgary... I get it's fanaticism, but then we gotta expect a loyalty spectrum, if we can't be loyal, how can we expect them to? 

I get this is a problem I have. I want a really good team and while the flames have had good seasons, I wanted more... so it's a catch for me

33 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Just playing along with suggestions, I don't think Flames want him out, and maybe happy with him and Weegar to mentor and be the beacon of attitude growth in CalgaryZ so gotta weigh that into it. 

only a year ago we heard players want to leave but then here we are shipping everyone out and then pissing on them because they don't want to be in Calgary... I get it's fanaticism, but then we gotta expect a loyalty spectrum, if we can't be loyal, how can we expect them to? 

I get this is a problem I have. I want a really good team and while the flames have had good seasons, I wanted more... so it's a catch for me

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/flames-mackenzie-weegar-sends-powerful-message-with-commitment-to-stay/sn-amp/

Weegar feels like the next captain.

Kadri doesn’t have a ton of leverage. He signed his retirement deal essentially. He’s playing very well,  but there’s still a ton of term.

I’m in favor of the Kadri trade rumor. Yes, I like what he’s doing this season, but, if we could get a top 10 pick in return? Think about the regret we’d have only a few years into the future if we turned that trade down. You want veteran leadership? Lots of that around in UFA that doesn’t cost $7M until 2030. Kadri will be 39 at the end of his contract. I make that trade yesterday.

Haven’t we shipped out enough D? Anderson?!? Really?!?? Razzle Dazzle should be here to stay gents. 

Mange has lost his mojo. I’m in favour of trading him. 

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

I’m in favor of the Kadri trade rumor. Yes, I like what he’s doing this season, but, if we could get a top 10 pick in return? Think about the regret we’d have only a few years into the future if we turned that trade down. You want veteran leadership? Lots of that around in UFA that doesn’t cost $7M until 2030. Kadri will be 39 at the end of his contract. I make that trade yesterday.

Haven’t we shipped out enough D? Anderson?!? Really?!?? Razzle Dazzle should be here to stay gents. 

Ya man, it's about cleaning the slate for me.  Having good vets around, Cup experience, sure.  $3-mil x 1-year, 35+ player.  Go find one or two.  

6-more to go... No, please.  Kadri is signed to his prime now and his final two years will be horrible.  Flames are not Cup contenders now but will be in Kadri's final two years.  Let him go now.  Unless we are talking major retention, trade him.

On 4/12/2024 at 2:32 PM, cberg said:

Wow, unless I’m reading that wrong the defensive game is significantly better?

As a team it's marginal, Wolf's number look different and all of this at is 5 on 5. 

There are some small changes in the Flames number pre and post TDL but it's marginal if at all. Basically post TDL the games Markstorm have played have been very low event hockey. Yes it leads to a positive change in the defensive numbers, but the offensive numbers are down too. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Kadri has a full NTC for the next two years, then the M-NTC (13 team).  He may decide his future is on a contender or even near-contender.  But that doesn't bring you a top 10 pick.  The best you could get would be a Necas type, where a team wants a vet and is willing to give up a guy trending up but is a certain style.  I mention CAR because Staal is nearing the end and they need that battle level.  

I don't think it's the vet cup leadership that makes Kadri valuable to you, it's how he plays the game.  We lost that style with Tkachuk leaving.  He's showing the young guys how it's done.  Go to the net.  Ask Zary.  Kuzmenko is scoring at a 35 goal pace by being there.  Trade him or don't trade him, but a late 1st (at best) isn't going to work.

Mange's game is horrible.  He's turned into bad Huberdeau that cuts back every zone entry.  Trade him for a C that is just complementary.  We have too many guys that can ride shotgun with Coleman and Backlund.    

16 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think Kadri is a Flame for the rest of his career.

He is having a great year. His second best in terms of production. Two years ago he had very few suitors in UFA. Two years older, I think you could trade him, but you’re talking about retaining for five years and I doubt you’re getting a haul. Maybe something like Karlsson to PIT. 1st and two cap dumps.

Maybe he wants out and things become untenable. Unless that happens, the Flames are probably better off keeping him.

This is the only caveat worth discussion IMO and I do think it's unlikely. All reports I've heard is Kadri is really happy here and likes the direction of the team. Like Weegar he is happy to be part of the re tool. 

I think the other thing I would add is I actually think he had more suitors but I think the problem was he was very picky about where he wanted to go. I've heard he had a very small list of teams he would even engage with, so while there were some teams interested they go a "no" before they could even pitch. With a full NMC for the next 2 years I don't think that list is going to get larger. 

Highly unlikely Kadri goes anywhere anytime soon IMO. 

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of pretty wild trade speculation at this point, more than I recall previously.  Could be very interesting or deathly quiet till just before the draft, which seems more like the norm.  

I'd give Conroy pretty high marks for all his dealings to date, and anticipate that will continue through the next three months.  Good thing I've got playoffs, gardening and outdoors to keep busy till all the dust settles.

15 hours ago, cberg said:

gardening

What do you grow? I'm into it too. Most relaxing thing ever.

Alberta gardening can be tough. We're zone 8ish here and it's pretty forgiving even at that. I've begun slowly hardening off now. Gotta get these trays out of here. I should really build a greenhouse because I do everything from seed from last year's. She's all heirloom now. Be it flowers or veg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Alberta gardening can be tough. We're zone 8ish here and it's pretty forgiving even at that. I've begun slowly hardening off now. Gotta get these trays out of here. I should really build a greenhouse because I do everything from seed from last year's. She's all heirloom now. Be it flowers or veg.

Yes, greatly relaxing and some exercise, sunshine, and fresh air, love it.  I'm in Cochrane, NW of Calgary, and in Zone 3c/4A, tough growing except for our 3 months of summer.  I have a large yard and have multiple fruit trees, berries, perennials, flowers, and annual crops.  You can check out my YT channel "Small Yard Edible Landscaping" which has multiple years of videos, but not much recently.  I've built 3 mini-greenhouses and have seedlings in one that I'll transplant next week once our final(hopefully) cold snap ends next weekend.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I saw an IG reel where a gardener wore a piece on their leg that looks like a brace, but when bending over in the garden, you can use it to sit on it.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I saw an IG reel where a gardener wore a piece on their leg that looks like a brace, but when bending over in the garden, you can use it to sit on it.

Interesting idea, garden scooters also cool.  Unfortunately not enough room in my place, it’s more like a jungle.  Best place is a hammock in the greenhouse, great spot to catch some vitamin D and listen to a game…

3 hours ago, cberg said:

Yes, greatly relaxing and some exercise, sunshine, and fresh air, love it.  I'm in Cochrane, NW of Calgary, and in Zone 3c/4A, tough growing except for our 3 months of summer.  I have a large yard and have multiple fruit trees, berries, perennials, flowers, and annual crops.  You can check out my YT channel "Small Yard Edible Landscaping" which has multiple years of videos, but not much recently.  I've built 3 mini-greenhouses and have seedlings in one that I'll transplant next week once our final(hopefully) cold snap ends next weekend.  

What's the best kind of tomatoes to grow around Calgary's zone?  Beefsteak?

On 4/16/2024 at 6:57 PM, The_People1 said:

What's the best kind of tomatoes to grow around Calgary's zone?  Beefsteak?

Cochrane's, and Calgary's Summer is generally too chilly, and windy to grow great tomatoes to full maturity, unless you grow them inside or in a very warm, wind-protected, sunny spot.  I built a 9ft by 11ft hothouse from linked pic piping and heavy duty plastic that protects from wind and keeps it very toasty all Summer long while adding a few weeks at both ends of the season.  I grow all types of tomatoes, Beefsteak, paste, cherries, about a half dozen of both Bush and Vine varieties... In the hothouse they are fully out of the wind and have 4-6C frost protection so I typically can grow well into October.  If you are trying to grow unprotected in Calgary I'd be trying anything with like 60-75 day stated maturities(from transplant date) and start seeds indoors by early April or buy transplants, since you only have June, July and most of August frost-free.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Cochrane's, and Calgary's Summer is generally too chilly, and windy to grow great tomatoes to full maturity, unless you grow them inside or in a very warm, wind-protected, sunny spot.  I built a 9ft by 11ft hothouse from linked pic piping and heavy duty plastic that protects from wind and keeps it very toasty all Summer long while adding a few weeks at both ends of the season.  I grow all types of tomatoes, Beefsteak, paste, cherries, about a half dozen of both Bush and Vine varieties... In the hothouse they are fully out of the wind and have 4-6C frost protection so I typically can grow well into October.  If you are trying to grow unprotected in Calgary I'd be trying anything with like 60-75 day stated maturities(from transplant date) and start seeds indoors by early April or buy transplants, since you only have June, July and most of August frost-free.  Good luck!

Great tomato gardening where I'm at.

Beeeaautiful San Marzano.

I dont do it myself but have a friend who hooks me up with a bunch of tomatoes and jarred sauce every year because she and her family have such a big harvest 😁