Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

I think it's funny to boo a guy that played for your team for years.

Gaudreau - franchise numbers, chose family

Tkachuk - chose to be a young guy with millions and girls in bathing suits

Hanifin - sick of Canada perhaps; his choice

Save the boos for guys that never played for us, or are real douche bags.

There are enough of them.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think it's funny to boo a guy that played for your team for years.

Gaudreau - franchise numbers, chose family

Tkachuk - chose to be a young guy with millions and girls in bathing suits

Hanifin - sick of Canada perhaps; his choice

Save the boos for guys that never played for us, or are real douche bags.

There are enough of them.

I'm not ever gonna be one to boo players, that's just not me.

But I get why Tkachuk and Gaudreau will get booed. It's pretty simple it's because them leaving hurt the fanbase.

Hanifin is a good player, but it's weird for a player like him to get booed.

27 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm not ever gonna be one to boo players, that's just not me.

But I get why Tkachuk and Gaudreau will get booed. It's pretty simple it's because them leaving hurt the fanbase.

Hanifin is a good player, but it's weird for a player like him to get booed.

I will always cheer for Gaudreau, except in games against us.

We had the chance to make him the new franchise player.

Not his fault they only wanted to sign him to 6 years because Gio cap.

Or that they didn't offer him enough in the summer before FA.

Boo the GM for screwing up the team.

I liked some of the things he did.

Cap management was a strong point, but he was the reason why he needed to do that.

^^^^^^^^

That's awesome.  Says he was born in California, but "grew up" in COL and playing in Minny.

He's a bit older, but the AHL games should give us some sense of his readiness.

Since he was not on the AHL roster by cutoff, he won't get to play in the playoffs?

That's fair.  

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^^^^^

That's awesome.  Says he was born in California, but "grew up" in COL and playing in Minny.

Since he was not on the AHL roster by cutoff, he won't get to play in the playoffs?

That's fair.  

He should be eligible for the AHL playoffs because he is on a tryout agreement.

The rule is more there so NHL teams don’t just send all their top young players down and really shift the balance in the AHL playoffs.

Center depth is the next big area of focus for the Flames. Conroy did a nice job of building up some depth in defense and I think center is the next position he needs to target, so this is a nice start. 

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Center depth is the next big area of focus for the Flames. Conroy did a nice job of building up some depth in defense and I think center is the next position he needs to target, so this is a nice start. 

We drafted two C's that have not played the position here at all; Zary and Pospisil.

Lipinski the most recent C drafted; 4th round.

Ruzicka - turned him into a LW.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

^^^^^^^^

That's fair.  

24-year-old college player.  Nothing to see here I think.  Numbers aren't even dominating considering he's 4 to 6 years older than everyone.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I disagree.  We have Center "depth".  We need the elite end of the spectrum.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

We drafted two C's that have not played the position here at all; Zary and Pospisil.

Lipinski the most recent C drafted; 4th round.

Ruzicka - turned him into a LW.

Because they weren't centers. Drafted as such doesn't mean that's your position in the NHL 

Flames need true centers. 

I look at the Morton signing as a good test for the scouts. The scouts had to have seen something to warrant a signing. Could be a Conroy show of faith in our junior scouts that would help him determine how much influence they have on the up coming draft.

2 hours ago, medatswhoP said:

There fixed it for you. Both would be my choice. 😁

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Don't have either

How many do we need though? 

Kadri is going to be in his prime another 4 years.  One of the best 2nd line Centers in the NHL.  Backlund is still a solid 3rd line Center... could slide into 4th line Center next season to take the load off him.  Zary could possibly play 3rd line Center full time and do well with his speed.  If not, Pospisil has that 3rd line Checking Center potential.  Honzek plays some Center too if i'm not mistaken.

Depth wise, I think we've got it covered.  We are missing a #1 Center.

Slight administrative error there . They'll have to redo his contract ..but this year was a pto so that isn't affected for him to join the wranglers 

Apparently the age is based on Sept 15 not actual age at signing . 25 is too old for an ELC...

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

How many do we need though? 

Kadri is going to be in his prime another 4 years.  One of the best 2nd line Centers in the NHL.  Backlund is still a solid 3rd line Center... could slide into 4th line Center next season to take the load off him.  Zary could possibly play 3rd line Center full time and do well with his speed.  If not, Pospisil has that 3rd line Checking Center potential.  Honzek plays some Center too if i'm not mistaken.

Depth wise, I think we've got it covered.  We are missing a #1 Center.

outside of Kadri and Backlund none of those players you listed are currently playing center nor have they played center for multiple seasons now. 

Never mind the age of Backlund and Kadri. 

of course they need a number one but they also need depth so they can have some guys rise through the ranks as there isn’t much to offer. Flames are just a part of it, Wranglers are thin too

In terms of prospects I think the only center the Flames have that has even minimal NHL potential in their entire system is Jaden Lipinski. 4th rounder from last year

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, I guess the ELC would start come new season, so he is 25 then.

Odd that they enforce it that way.

Hope it's just a slight delay and doesn't screw anything up.

September 15th has long been the date they use to determine signing age. That's a miss from the Flames. Not a serious one but they 100% should have known better. 

It sucks for the player because biggest different between ELC and SPC is bonuses. So the 95K bonus he was set to get is out the window. 

Be hard pressed to think this means he won't sign something with the Flames but it's not as favorable to him as it was before. But worth remembering the rules are the same for everyone. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

September 15th has long been the date they use to determine signing age. That's a miss from the Flames. Not a serious one but they 100% should have known better. 

It sucks for the player because biggest different between ELC and SPC is bonuses. So the 95K bonus he was set to get is out the window. 

Be hard pressed to think this means he won't sign something with the Flames but it's not as favorable to him as it was before. But worth remembering the rules are the same for everyone. 

Yeah, I saw that this morning.  One thing about BT was he seemed to know these things.  Then again, BT was only one of the many there.  

As far as bonuses, when Kuzmenko signed, how was he able to get an ELC with a signing bonus?

Since the ELC is out the window, I guess we are able to sign a 2 year deal?  

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah, I saw that this morning.  One thing about BT was he seemed to know these things.  Then again, BT was only one of the many there.  

As far as bonuses, when Kuzmenko signed, how was he able to get an ELC with a signing bonus?

Since the ELC is out the window, I guess we are able to sign a 2 year deal?  

I'm not sure why Treliving has to come up so much around here. Everything seems to need to be Conroy vs BT and I don't get it. He chose to leave so let's move on with the new GM. I don't view this is as a Conroy error it's a front office error. 

European players have a later signing age (up to 27) due to the International agreement. 

That would be my understanding is that now they would be free to do a longer term deal if they wanted to. Not sure why they would though. 

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not sure why Treliving has to come up so much around here. Everything seems to need to be Conroy vs BT and I don't get it. He chose to leave so let's move on with the new GM. I don't view this is as a Conroy error it's a front office error. 

European players have a later signing age (up to 27) due to the International agreement. 

That would be my understanding is that now they would be free to do a longer term deal if they wanted to. Not sure why they would though. 

Same front office more or less, so who knows.

As far as the term, being a RFA after one year vs RFA after 2 years, is there really any benefit to a one year deal?    

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Same front office more or less, so who knows.

As far as the term, being a RFA after one year vs RFA after 2 years, is there really any benefit to a one year deal?    

Your not locked in if the player doesn't work out, which most College FA don't.