Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

yesss! Please do! :)

it's the org philosophies, not just the GM's. We like to blame GM's but we could have had Zucker when he was one to get. A deal was had but the owners said no. How many other deals like that. 

How many of us wanted to trade Valamaki? 

im just adding to your arguments not trying to contest them...

To be fair ..Zucker did a recent interview on this .. the owner didnt say no..it was still at a time when Murray had final sign off on all trades apparently.. and he was mia .. on an airplane somewhere and they couldn't reach him to get his sign off before the deadline passed 

This is the kind of garbage I hate from Francis.. he lights fires where there aren't any..

He effectively started the whole Markstrom mess by a story out of nowhere about " what if".  What if the flames asked you to waive ..    shortly after the new jersey story popped up..

Now he obviously has his sights set on running Kadri our of town 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

yesss! Please do! :)

it's the org philosophies, not just the GM's. We like to blame GM's but we could have had Zucker when he was one to get. A deal was had but the owners said no. How many other deals like that. 

How many of us wanted to trade Valamaki? 

im just adding to your arguments not trying to contest them...

I don't know that a GM would go off on the owners the way BT did if that was reaaly what happened with the Zucker trade.  Stone.  Let me see.  Trading for a top NHL player while we were still near the top, in exchange for a rookie NHL D.  They gave up Branstrom, an AHL player and a 2nd.  Two years later, we gave up a 1st, a future 5th, Pitlick and Heineman, who we didn't even look at.  The same guy that was such a  win in the Bennett trade. 

The basic org idea is that it's okay to spend to the cap, that you must make the playoffs, that buy outs are okay as a last resort.  BT was in on everything, and rarely got close to the finish line.  So I don't think the owners killed them off.  Where I think the disconnect is, is that the owners think we have a better team than we actually do.  They were sold a goalie that would get paid $8M in two years of his contract.  A bad year where the coach was sacrificed may have them believing that Markstrom is a god.  That the cap spend alone means we have a good team that sputtered a couple of times but would have won the cup in they got in.  

Hey, we aren't arguing here.  The media gives us ideas about the workings.  We don't really know.  You have to read into the things that are direct quotes to have any idea.  

What's the latest Eric Francis crap?  Kadri may want out since he didn't come here to rebuild.  Funny, because he has revamped his game entirely this year with Zary and Pospisil.  He might get mad that player X is traded, because they were his teammates.  His friends.  In some cases he may hold different opinions about having floaters on the team.  

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know that a GM would go off on the owners the way BT did if that was reaaly what happened with the Zucker trade.  

Honest question .. when did he go off on the owners?   He was seen yelling and slamming doors .  But that ties right in with the notion he needed to find Murray and lost the deal because he couldn't 

5 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Honest question .. when did he go off on the owners?   He was seen yelling and slamming doors .  But that ties right in with the notion he needed to find Murray and lost the deal because he couldn't 

Perhaps I worded it wrong.  I was saying that he went off about it.  It sounded like he was railing about a breakdown in the process, not the owners quashing it.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

This is the kind of garbage I hate from Francis.. he lights fires where there aren't any..

He effectively started the whole Markstrom mess by a story out of nowhere about " what if".  What if the flames asked you to waive ..    shortly after the new jersey story popped up..

Now he obviously has his sights set on running Kadri our of town 

I don't like that Francis did this but at the same time, I'm sure we are all asking the same question already. When he signed here, this was a contender.  And two years in, it doesn't look like a playoff team.

Huberdeau and Weegar.  Same boat.

When you read the article, Kadri sounds totally understanding of his situation. He understands that teams can go through massive changes in a short period of time.  He also says "team helps him and he helps the team" sort of thing.  I take this to mean, if they ask me to waive then I'll help them out but there are certain teams he wants to go to.

It's an all around positive article.  I don't get the feeling that there's a request to be traded or anything that.  He says he has nothing to prove.  If he's a mentor the rest of his career it sounds like he will embrace the role.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I don't like that Francis did this but at the same time, I'm sure we are all asking the same question already. When he signed here, this was a contender.  And two years in, it doesn't look like a playoff team.

Huberdeau and Weegar.  Same boat.

When you read the article, Kadri sounds totally understanding of his situation. He understands that teams can go through massive changes in a short period of time.  He also says "team helps him and he helps the team" sort of thing.  I take this to mean, if they ask me to waive then I'll help them out but there are certain teams he wants to go to.

It's an all around positive article.  I don't get the feeling that there's a request to be traded or anything that.  He says he has nothing to prove.  If he's a mentor the rest of his career it sounds like he will embrace the role.

I don't care what the end result of the article comes to.  The click bait and his narritive is that he wants out.  He didn't sign up for it.  

" Nazem Kadri didn’t sign up for this.

He wasn’t added to Calgary’s veteran-laden core two summers ago only to see many of the pillars of the franchise traded away by this year’s deadline.

The question is, what does he do about it?

Does he ask for a trade this summer so he can chase another Stanley Cup?

Or does he embrace his role as a mentor and leader for a young, radically retooled team?"

Those lines alone are the kind that sets off a fan, and whether they are disputed by the player or not, the feeling is he wants out.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't care what the end result of the article comes to.  The click bait and his narritive is that he wants out.  He didn't sign up for it.  

" Nazem Kadri didn’t sign up for this.

He wasn’t added to Calgary’s veteran-laden core two summers ago only to see many of the pillars of the franchise traded away by this year’s deadline.

The question is, what does he do about it?

Does he ask for a trade this summer so he can chase another Stanley Cup?

Or does he embrace his role as a mentor and leader for a young, radically retooled team?"

Those lines alone are the kind that sets off a fan, and whether they are disputed by the player or not, the feeling is he wants out.

I mean, it's a fair question because of the timing of his signing here.  Does he now want to stay for a rebuild and at the same time, he has a NMC.  His contract is also not easily traded.  We know.  He knows.  If it's not being stirred, it's stirring itself as is.

A more annoying article is maybe "Should the Flames trade Mangiapane this summer?"

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I mean, it's a fair question because of the timing of his signing here.  Does he now want to stay for a rebuild and at the same time, he has a NMC.  His contract is also not easily traded.  We know.  He knows.  If it's not being stirred, it's stirring itself as is.

A more annoying article is maybe "Should the Flames trade Mangiapane this summer?"

It's annoying because these guys just had to go through months of just talking about trades, save the future stuff for garbage bag day.  Nobody is going anywhere from now until the summer, so cut the bullSatoshi Nakamoto and let these guys do their job which is play hockey for the Calgary Flames.  It's not just taxes, travel and weather, its idiot media and fans that make this country undesirable to play in, and that's something that needs to go through a rebuild

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I don’t like Francis and I don’t like this style of reporting but unfortunately it’s what people want. I don’t think he’s inventing the idea of trading Kadri but many fans are asking it so he’s just doing his job

i think and have heard Kadri is really happy here though and is excited about being part of this. Be surprised if went anywhere. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don’t like Francis and I don’t like this style of reporting but unfortunately it’s what people want. I don’t think he’s inventing the idea of trading Kadri but many fans are asking it so he’s just doing his job

i think and have heard Kadri is really happy here though and is excited about being part of this. Be surprised if went anywhere. 

The Saul Goodman of Calgary sports.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Ya exactly what I meant to say.  Francis is not inventing a story out of nothing.  Fans are wondering.  Francis is just doing his job.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

It's annoying because these guys just had to go through months of just talking about trades, save the future stuff for garbage bag day.  Nobody is going anywhere from now until the summer, so cut the bullSatoshi Nakamoto and let these guys do their job which is play hockey for the Calgary Flames.  It's not just taxes, travel and weather, its idiot media and fans that make this country undesirable to play in, and that's something that needs to go through a rebuild

Definitely and I know where you are coming from.  But just saying, fans are wondering what Kadri thinks because he didn't sign up for a rebuild.

There will need to be a convo between Conroy and Kadri this summer to get on the same page.  I'm sure Conroy will tell Kadri that he has a mandate to get back into the playoffs as quick as possible.  Then the ball will be in Kadri's court to say if he wants to stay for that retool or not.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’m fine with the Flames not taking that Avs offer.

The difference between picks 25-60 is often times, minimal. 

Vegas needs him more than COL did.

Need Vegas to take out EDM at some point.

A 1st and 50% of a $8M contract for Walker was what COL settled on.

A 1st should have been the cost to retain 2 years of RJ.

We retained on $2.25M one year and get a 2nd plus a potential 3rd.

Plus a D prospect that we actually like.

Late first round picks are IMO the most overrated asset their is. It is, wrongfully IMO, assumed that a first is a first but when you get outside the top half of the draft the odds of you grabbing an impact NHLer drop quite a bit. As Brewcrew states, the odds aren't that drastically different from the end of the 1st to the end of the second. So value wise I don't think a 1 and a bad contract is better than a 2nd and a B/B- prospect. 

So I think the Flames were fine to pass on those offers but ultimately going to come down to Grushnikov. Said this at the time and still rings true that I do think it's fair to question if taking the prospect value was better than taking the draft pick value. 

I guess Flames fans weren't happy about how Hanifin "hijacked" the Flames in the trade. Apparently the crowd Booed him. 

Thing is, he's had nothing but nice things to say about Calgary and the fans. 

was booing him warranted?

He just said he'd probably only want to play for a team he'd sign with; i get being upset by his process, but i never felt he was malicious about it. 

he was honest. Tkachuk probably deserved more boos than Hanifin. Although, it's Johnny of the most recents who deserve it the most, along with Fox... 

I do wonder though. They're all human and have personal needs. Although they do have millions of reasons to suck it up... also, their age, they don't see life the same as someone who is at the end of their career, or retired and how much adulthood they have left after the sport has passed them by, so I can see how a young person can feel a need to be in certain places.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I guess Flames fans weren't happy about how Hanifin "hijacked" the Flames in the trade. Apparently the crowd Booed him. 

Thing is, he's had nothing but nice things to say about Calgary and the fans. 

was booing him warranted?

He just said he'd probably only want to play for a team he'd sign with; i get being upset by his process, but i never felt he was malicious about it. 

he was honest. Tkachuk probably deserved more boos than Hanifin. Although, it's Johnny of the most recents who deserve it the most, along with Fox... 

I do wonder though. They're all human and have personal needs. Although they do have millions of reasons to suck it up... also, their age, they don't see life the same as someone who is at the end of their career, or retired and how much adulthood they have left after the sport has passed them by, so I can see how a young person can feel a need to be in certain places.

I wouldn't boo Tkachuk.  He was honest from the beginning and the Flames got a great trade out of it.  Good value at least.  Manned up and broke up with us honorably.

Gaudreau screwed us royally.  Took us to the alter and left us there.

Hanifin was bordering on "Gaudreau'ing us" and then tried to screw us on a trade.  He deserves some boos

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wouldn't boo Tkachuk.  He was honest from the beginning and the Flames got a great trade out of it.  Good value at least.  Manned up and broke up with us honorably.

Hanifin was bordering on "Gaudreau'ing us" and then tried to screw us on a trade.  He deserves some boos

Totally agree. /\

I would boo hannifin if he would have forced a signing at 8+ x 8 years

Gaudreau I am NOW happy we didn't sign him 10.5 x 8 years. 

Monahan now has my full respect. Dicked around by this club and was honorable throughout.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think hating Hanifin for trying to get somewhere he was interested in signing long term but admiring Tkachuk who took over the whole process is just weird.  Tkachuk was far from open and honest throughout the process.  Season end and he says he's open to signing long term, a week into free agency he says he won't sign long term but provides a list of 5 teams that mostly have no cap space and little in terms of good future assets.  Hanifin really had no power, he wasn't not going to report, Conroy just did what he felt was best for the team.  I just think the insiders like Frank know the fanbase here buys the drama, so he will continue to sell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I think hating Hanifin for trying to get somewhere he was interested in signing long term but admiring Tkachuk who took over the whole process is just weird.  Tkachuk was far from open and honest throughout the process.  Season end and he says he's open to signing long term, a week into free agency he says he won't sign long term but provides a list of 5 teams that mostly have no cap space and little in terms of good future assets.  Hanifin really had no power, he wasn't not going to report, Conroy just did what he felt was best for the team.  I just think the insiders like Frank know the fanbase here buys the drama, so he will continue to sell. 

Yes, I'm not even saying Hanifin deserves Gaudreau level booing.  But some is deserved.  

Hanifin's situation wasn't entirely Hanifin's fault to be fair.  Flames made an offer in the summer to both Hanifin and Lindholm.  Both declined to sign.  At that point, it's in the Flames court.  Flames moved on from Lindholm and should've done the same with Hanifin.  To fault Hanifin entirely is probably wrong..  simply, the market wasn't there for a LHS LD second pairing guy and that's why it took so long.

I personally thought it was classless to boo Hanifin. 

Guy did nothing wrong. You are a UFA you get to pick where you want to play and he didn't want to play in Canada anymore. Told the team and they moved him. The whole "agent hijacked this" thing is ridiculous and such a media driven story. 

No reason to boo him. Made the fan base look petty.

• Like 2