Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

13 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Great tomato gardening where I'm at.

Beeeaautiful San Marzano.

I dont do it myself but have a friend who hooks me up with a bunch of tomatoes and jarred sauce every year because she and her family have such a big harvest 😁

Now this is a trade that I can find realistic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Great tomato gardening where I'm at.

Beeeaautiful San Marzano.

I dont do it myself but have a friend who hooks me up with a bunch of tomatoes and jarred sauce every year because she and her family have such a big harvest 😁

If you have the needed micro-environment it can work great.  Our cherry tomatoes are like eating candy.  The grandkids swoop in and grab them all before I can harvest.  No problem, love the grandkids....

• Like 1

So the season of overreacting to players exit comments has now begun..  first one to the podium is Yegor .

When asked he sees himself here long term ..was pretty non committal.. 

Personally I take that as he's young, just had a break out season and wants to be paid ..if that's all it is I don't have much concern that will be done .in fact it should be a priority ..

Playing devil's advocate..maybe he doesn't see himself here .. west coast, big market..all the usual..  how long do we give Conny to translate that into the sign or you're being traded ultimatum?  I think it's important not to have distractions next seasons like we did this year ..players like yegor and mangiapane need to be dealt with before the season starts .

Again personally I think he will be Priority signing for Conny ..but if has to be traded then he's a player you should be able to get a haul for 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

So the season of overreacting to players exit comments has now begun..  first one to the podium is Yegor .

Personally I take that as he's young, just had a break out season and wants to be paid ..if that's all it is I don't have much concern that will be done .in fact it should be a priority ..

Playing devil's advocate..maybe he doesn't see himself here .. west coast, big market..all the usual..  how long do we give Conny to translate that into the sign or you're being traded ultimatum?  I think it's important not to have distractions next seasons like we did this year ..players like yegor and mangiapane need to be dealt with before the season starts .

Again personally I think he will be Priority signing for Conny ..but if has to be traded then he's a player you should be able to get a haul for 

Agree, we have new UFAs moving forward and the sooner they are dealt with, the better.

I think the practice of sticking a mic into a players face the day after their season ends and expecting an insightful answer has to be the dumbest practice out there. I feel for the players who probably haven't even come to terms of what they need to do but yet we hang on every single word they said, not to mention you still have many reporters in Calgary still trying to work this angle of players maybe not wanting to be here. 

I'll preface this by saying that I really like Yegor but the Flames have to be VERY careful with that extension. Yes I understand opportunity and all that, but this is a soon to be 26 year old player coming off a career year. Prioritizing that and giving them what they want falls flat far more often than it succeeds. Now i'm not saying that that they shouldn't sign him or that he isn't worth it but they should not be treating him like he is a core piece and just giving him whatever he wants to keep him here. It has to make sense because in the grand scheme of things Yegor is not the type of piece you should really be building around, he should be a great secondary piece. Flames need to keep that in mind. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the practice of sticking a mic into a players face the day after their season ends and expecting an insightful answer has to be the dumbest practice out there. I feel for the players who probably haven't even come to terms of what they need to do but yet we hang on every single word they said, not to mention you still have many reporters in Calgary still trying to work this angle of players maybe not wanting to be here. 

I'll preface this by saying that I really like Yegor but the Flames have to be VERY careful with that extension. Yes I understand opportunity and all that, but this is a soon to be 26 year old player coming off a career year. Prioritizing that and giving them what they want falls flat far more often than it succeeds. Now i'm not saying that that they shouldn't sign him or that he isn't worth it but they should not be treating him like he is a core piece and just giving him whatever he wants to keep him here. It has to make sense because in the grand scheme of things Yegor is not the type of piece you should really be building around, he should be a great secondary piece. Flames need to keep that in mind. 

Agreed .. I don't put a whole lot of stock on those statements unless they're definitive . I do like Kadri shutting it down for example ..he likes it here ..wants to be here ..period 

I would argue however that yegor should be a key piece. Yes it was a career year ..but that was due to where he played in the lineup. This wasn't truly a breakout becaue in NJ when he was given the opportunity to play up the lineup, he produced at the same rate he produced here .he just got buried down the lineup due to the Hughes ' and Hischers ahead of him. He got I think it was 22 in NJ his rookie year cuz he was played higher .. I think you can safely consider him a 25-30 goal scorer . Giving him the contract you tried giving Lindholm would make sense to me 

7 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Agreed .. I don't put a whole lot of stock on those statements unless they're definitive . I do like Kadri shutting it down for example ..he likes it here ..wants to be here ..period 

I would argue however that yegor should be a key piece. Yes it was a career year ..but that was due to where he played in the lineup. This wasn't truly a breakout becaue in NJ when he was given the opportunity to play up the lineup, he produced at the same rate he produced here .he just got buried down the lineup due to the Hughes ' and Hischers ahead of him. He got I think it was 22 in NJ his rookie year cuz he was played higher .. I think you can safely consider him a 25-30 goal scorer . Giving him the contract you tried giving Lindholm would make sense to me 

You really think he is worth 8 or 9 mil? Why not a 2 yr show me type of contract or are you worried he would do what JH and MrT did?

22 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

that would be the exact type of mistake I’d recommend avoiding. 8 x 8? No thank you, that’s a brutal contract. 

i think the fact that he got moved down the lineup as Jersey got better needs to be taken into account. Sure he was great here and yes he is a good player but as the flames get better he’s going to move down the lineup too, or should. That needs to be considered in the negotiation. 

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

that would be the exact type of mistake I’d recommend avoiding. 8 x 8? No thank you, that’s a brutal contract. 

i think the fact that he got moved down the lineup as Jersey got better needs to be taken into account. Sure he was great here and yes he is a good player but as the flames get better he’s going to move down the lineup too, or should. That needs to be considered in the negotiation. 

He was behind 2 potential future hall of famers.. I'd say if we get ourselves a hischier and a Hughes that's a great problem to have ..worst case he'll still have great trade value to a team that doesn't have that luxury 

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

He was behind 2 potential future hall of famers.. I'd say if we get ourselves a hischier and a Hughes that's a great problem to have ..worst case he'll still have great trade value to a team that doesn't have that luxury 

Stretch to call Hischier even a potential hall of famer at this point.  I don’t know the impact those guys had, he was primarily a winger so his issues were more with Bratt, Mercer, Palat, Tatar and then eventually Meier.  I don’t think I would give him anything more than what Palat makes (6m cap hit) and 5 years at most.

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

did Mangiapane say something?

I don’t think I would extend Sharangovich.

Like the player a lot, I just don’t think 5 or 6 years makes a lot of sense for the organization right now. 20-30 goal wingers are replaceable, as much as I like the player.

If they were to extend him. I think 5.5x5 be the most I would be comfortable with. I still don’t love it. Look at what has happened with Mangiapane. Thank goodness they didn’t give him much term.

The Flames have too many wingers. I would really try to deal Mangiapane this summer. They’re gonna have to retain, the return will be minimal. Then I would deal Sharangovich and Kuzmenko at the TDL. Those two alone net you some more top 100 picks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

To your point and hear me out; he's scored some goals. Grant that... i am sure Conroy is looking at it like, what else does he do? Is he killing penalties at a good clip? Is he scoring 5v5 vs just the pp?  

im with you, is this the player? 

How close does he resemble kuzmenko? Is kuz's contract the one to base the contract on?

If I had it my way, then I wouldn't extend Sharongovich.  Nor Kuzmenko and Mangiapane.  I think that's 3 pieces for next year's TDL that can be moved for at least one 1st round pick and a couple 2nds.  I feel the Flames will still only be in year two of a 3/4 years re-tool.  Just keep getting younger.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don’t think I would extend Sharangovich.

Like the player a lot, I just don’t think 5 or 6 years makes a lot of sense for the organization right now. 20-30 goal wingers are replaceable, as much as I like the player.

If they were to extend him. I think 5.5x5 be the most I would be comfortable with. I still don’t love it. Look at what has happened with Mangiapane. Thank goodness they didn’t give him much term.

The Flames have too many wingers. I would really try to deal Mangiapane this summer. They’re gonna have to retain, the return will be minimal. Then I would deal Sharangovich and Kuzmenko at the TDL. Those two alone net you some more top 100 picks.

Except you forget Yegor plays all 3 forward positions including center ...  Power play, and kills penalties ..  does he need more experience at all 3, sure , but in the end he's not "just a winger" 

But .. what is gonna happen , will happen..

I was highly relieved when Connie outlined just what the plan and blueprint is..  it is 100% NOT bottoming out .. it's getting better every year ..kids what played this year need to take a step next year ..

He named Dallas as the model..

Veteran core at all 5 positions ..so don't expect him to be shopping Markstrom.. if NJ wants to blow us away , maybe he listens ..but if that happens expect a vet quality starter to come back thru the door ( Talbot?)  I don't rule it out cuz when asked about Markstrom he did say " we'll see" 

Trades will be for ages 18-23

Free agency ..expect some reinforcements from there .. likely nothing long term or high ticket but significant adds

From there..need to hit on draft picks on all rounds .. expect him to be more frugal with trading any picks than his predecessors. Quantity gives you a higher chance of hitting quality 

Again.. we can hope..we can wish all we want , but that is the blueprint in action straight from the source 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Except you forget Yegor plays all 3 forward positions including center ...  Power play, and kills penalties ..  does he need more experience at all 3, sure , but in the end he's not "just a winger" 

But .. what is gonna happen , will happen..

I was highly relieved when Connie outlined just what the plan and blueprint is..  it is 100% NOT bottoming out .. it's getting better every year ..kids what played this year need to take a step next year ..

He named Dallas as the model..

Veteran core at all 5 positions ..so don't expect him to be shopping Markstrom.. if NJ wants to blow us away , maybe he listens ..but if that happens expect a vet quality starter to come back thru the door ( Talbot?)  I don't rule it out cuz when asked about Markstrom he did say " we'll see" 

Trades will be for ages 18-23

Free agency ..expect some reinforcements from there .. likely nothing long term or high ticket but significant adds

From there..need to hit on draft picks on all rounds .. expect him to be more frugal with trading any picks than his predecessors. Quantity gives you a higher chance of hitting quality 

Again.. we can hope..we can wish all we want , but that is the blueprint in action straight from the source 

my bet is, 18-26. Think you're right though, and they've already shown they're leaning that way. Maybe a pick and an underused player that is a few years previously developed. 

my scouting fear is targeting UFA. We've had a few good hits lately, but some bad ones. Coleman, Markstrom good...

maybe some can add a few good UFA signings to ease the apprehension!?

55 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

my bet is, 18-26. Think you're right though, and they've already shown they're leaning that way. Maybe a pick and an underused player that is a few years previously developed. 

my scouting fear is targeting UFA. We've had a few good hits lately, but some bad ones. Coleman, Markstrom good...

maybe some can add a few good UFA signings to ease the apprehension!?

My guess is top 4 D and centers ..  we have mega depth at wing.. and d that will be worked in.. but if we can we should  target a top 2  center .one that's not expecting high term ...and d that can play minutes in the top 4 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Tanev 

I like Tanev. He plays on that edge. I wonder if his health is overblown, or if he is injury prone? 

I worry about the message playing injured sends. I don't mind playing through stuff, but nearly ruining a career over injury is a lot though. Calgary and maybe a lot teams might turn a blind eye or be quite ok... 

some are good to put some on LTIR, and not be as injured though... 

I think Calgary let a guy like Monahan play through it because they're not deep enough to make it without a top player...

I think Yegor's camp will start with the Hagel contract. Lightning gave him 8 X6.5 coming off a 30 goals and 64 point season and a 25 and 44 point season before that. Pretty similar, although I do think Hagel is the better player the comp is pretty spot on. They were only 1 year apart in age too. 

I'd be surprised if the Flames can get him for 5 or less. Jason Dickinson just got paid 4.25 with a career high 14 goals in a season (finished at 22 this year), Bertuzzi got the 5.5 from the Leafs for career highs similar to Yegor (and in a flat cap environment). Zucker 5.2, Killhorn over 6.  Even Mang at 5.8 is a pretty good comp for Yegor. 

Unless he's willing to only do a 4/5 year deal I'm not in a rush to be getting that deal done, especially if he is asking for a Hagel style deal. I'd let him go into the season if that is the case and see what type of player you get. 

53 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Unless he's willing to only do a 4/5 year deal I'm not in a rush to be getting that deal done, especially if he is asking for a Hagel style deal. I'd let him go into the season if that is the case and see what type of player you get. 

Didn’t Connie say in one of his recent pressers that he doesn’t think long contracts are the way to go right now? I got the impression he’s not looking at anyone with a mind to signing any more than 4-5 years at a time. And if he’s saying that to the press the players must be aware of the messaging (unless of course he’s saying one thing publicly and other things to players/agents). I’d be surprised if he buckles to any demands for massive term at this point.

1 hour ago, pcs said:

Didn’t Connie say in one of his recent pressers that he doesn’t think long contracts are the way to go right now? I got the impression he’s not looking at anyone with a mind to signing any more than 4-5 years at a time. And if he’s saying that to the press the players must be aware of the messaging (unless of course he’s saying one thing publicly and other things to players/agents). I’d be surprised if he buckles to any demands for massive term at this point.

Good.  Don't sign anyone is my preference.

Whether we sign or not, the Flames aren't expected to be a playoff team next season.  Better to have assets to sell at the TDL.

2 hours ago, pcs said:

Believe that was in reference to UFAs.

The Flames had long term deal offers on the table for both Hanifin and Lindholm. 

On 4/20/2024 at 1:36 PM, The_People1 said:

And don't forget 2026 is McKenna's draft year.  What a convenient time to have no one who can play at the NHL level for that draft year.  

Let's have a multi-year plan for once.

I wonder actually if 2027 could be an even better year.   Highly unlikely, but if any team does massively struggle for 2 years in a row you could end up the makings of a modern day dynasty.