Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

I'm fine with the Flames re signing  Sharangovich I just think they need to be smart about it but he's a good player to have around. 

For me it would be a mistake to extend Kuzmenko and the Flames should still be looking to deal him this off season or next TDL. I don't see any contract value being good for such a one dimensional player. 

10 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Not sure what you're trying to convey here or which direction you are heading as I don't have any teenage daughters and don't speak the post millennial dialect. 

I am in inexhaustible favour of the selection, should the implication prevail, that Nikita Artamonov should become available upon our 29th selection in the 2024 NHL hockey draft for young men 18 years of age from September 16 of 2023, yet not exceeding September 15, 2024 birthdates, my good sir. Further, past agreements regarding our international friends and exceeding age limitations shall not be impeded.

Which era do you prefer? lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I am in inexhaustible favour of the selection, should the implication prevail, that Nikita Artamonov should become available upon our 29th selection in the 2024 NHL hockey draft for young men 18 years of age from September 16 of 2023, yet not exceeding September 15, 2024 birthdates, my good sir. Further, past agreements regarding our international friends and exceeding age limitations shall not be impeded.

Which era do you prefer? lol

As an old fart I understood this. Thanks man LOL and agree

28 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Dude. Sharangovich has some hesitancy to his game. Understandable. NJ was unforgiving.

I liked the trade a lot from the outset. One of the few it felt like. He's a really good player. He showed flashes in NJ without question. I peg him to match Buchnevich's numbers. They're not the same, but no 2 players are.

Do you like Buchnevich? Because you have a younger one.

It's a pretty fair comp to where Sharagovich is heading.

I definitely wish we signed Buchnevich away from the Rangers.

St. Louis' best player. Sharangovic will grow further. He just needed a fair opportunity, not unlike Buchnevich.

Are we talking $6-mil x 6 or what?

Depends how much and how long.  To me, he's a second line talent who produced after getting first line minutes.  Can he repeat this performance?  We don't want another Mangiapane.

Timing also... Flames should try to bottom out for 2026 and draft McKenna... Or any #1 Center.  Draft one first before thinking about ending the retool and trying to win again.  Worst case is we end the retool and lean on Kadri, Zary, and Backlund to win a Cup.  We need that game breaking #1 Center.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Depends how much and how long.  To me, he's a second line talent who produced after getting first line minutes.  Can he repeat this performance?  We don't want another Mangiapane.

Timing also... Flames should try to bottom out for 2026 and draft McKenna... Or any #1 Center.  Draft one first before thinking about ending the retool and trying to win again.  Worst case is we end the retool and lean on Kadri, Zary, and Backlund to win a Cup.  We need that game breaking #1 Center.

A year at $3.1. Calm down.

You can't manage a team to bottom out for McKenna. You'll be fired. Be patient, take a breath.

Drafts help, but they aren't the sole driver. A manager needs to manage. Scouts are there to help one part, not run the show.

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm fine with the Flames re signing  Sharangovich I just think they need to be smart about it but he's a good player to have around. 

For me it would be a mistake to extend Kuzmenko and the Flames should still be looking to deal him this off season or next TDL. I don't see any contract value being good for such a one dimensional player. 

He single-handedly turned the PP from ~12% to ~30% over the last month, and formed one of the most deadly lines of the whole season.  Yeah, we don't want more like him...

4 minutes ago, cberg said:

He single-handedly turned the PP from ~12% to ~30% over the last month, and formed one of the most deadly lines of the whole season.  Yeah, we don't want more like him...

Yeah, I'm a little torn between the 2 of you. Loose cannon, but a cannon nonetheless. I'm happy to give him an offseason by our watch. Maybe we can find more from him than a protected O-weapon.

It's worth a shot. We're biding time regardless.

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I would rather watch Vegas bottom out in 2026.

53 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

A year at $3.1. Calm down.

You can't manage a team to bottom out for McKenna. You'll be fired. Be patient, take a breath.

Drafts help, but they aren't the sole driver. A manager needs to manage. Scouts are there to help one part, not run the show.

Why would Sharangovich extend for 1-year at $3.1-mil after scoring 30?  He's going to want to cash in on his one good year.

1 hour ago, cberg said:

And the Flames record was.....

Not his fault but that's the nature of one dimensional players. They help in your some areas but overall they aren't moving the needle.  I'm personally not paying a 30 plus year old player with a limited skill set like that. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

And the Flames record was.....

Not his fault but that's the nature of one dimensional players. They help in your some areas but overall they aren't moving the needle.  I'm personally not paying a 30 plus year old player with a limited skill set like that. 

To state the obvious, you're not personally paying any player, of any skillset.  As for records, yeah it was great to stop the future-looking trade of our Vezina-season goalie, who thereafter I think was perhaps the worst goalie in the NHL to season's end.  At least those two players balanced each other out....

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah, I'm a little torn between the 2 of you. Loose cannon, but a cannon nonetheless. I'm happy to give him an offseason by our watch. Maybe we can find more from him than a protected O-weapon.

It's worth a shot. We're biding time regardless.

If you look at Gaudreau before they worked on his defensive play, you might see a somewhat one-dimensional player.  I know that JG brought other things to the table that Kuz maybe doesn't do, but then again Kuz is able to withstand hits a bit better.

I tend to think that you can find the balance with a player you hold to account, but also provide some belief in his abilities.  

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If you look at Gaudreau before they worked on his defensive play, you might see a somewhat one-dimensional player.  I know that JG brought other things to the table that Kuz maybe doesn't do, but then again Kuz is able to withstand hits a bit better.

I tend to think that you can find the balance with a player you hold to account, but also provide some belief in his abilities.  

Big difference there is Gaudreau was a cheat code in transition and not nearly as one dimensional so not a good comparison there. Until he gets into the zone Kuzmenko is pretty useless out there. 

He's got strengths to offer sure but for me I wouldn't pay players for limited skill sets like that. I don't think good teams have players that they have to manage like Kuzmenko but that's me. Can he improve at 30 years old, i suppose but call me pretty skeptical. 

I personally don't think it's a coincidence that Vancouver got better when he didn't play and that despite the positive offensive impact he made, it made very little impact on the Flames record. That tends to be the case with players like Kuzmenko. 

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think the idea of moving him now is counter-intuitive. The idea of acquiring a player that perhaps just needs opportunity has pretty fleeting success. When you have success with that, I don't think it's very savvy to go ahead with, "okay, let's trade him now".

There's more at play imo. It took him awhile to settle in, but he kind of found a way to do it. Now he hits this offseason knowing what to work on, where they see his fit. So I think it's still an adjustment period.

Add, now you've probably got a player that's grateful for opportunity and being given a purpose.

It's not very compelling to turn around and say, "well, we'll get better value trading him now because we won't be able to afford him, won't fit our window etc etc".

These are made up excuses disguised as foresight. Same goes for Kuzmenko. Give the players an offseason guided by your instructions, for pete's sake. You can't just throw everyone you've just acquired to the wind because of the possibility that you'll have to pay more for what amounts to your successes. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face. Plus, you haven't completed the opportunity that you're giving them.

I'm happy knowing that there is no way that Conroy is going to manage like that. Nor do I think anyone would be allowed to turn a franchise into a chaotic misadventure. "But, but...draft picks". The potential of giving away NHL players for zero should easily outweigh that.

only way to keep the player is if he wants to stay in Calgary. All depends on their ask in relation to our ask. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Johnny was able to play the same D right away. He did it one year and then not again until Sutter arrived. I think in the d zone he's always been bad but he could always pressure the puck out back check

I hope (expect)  Conroy weaponizes our cap space starting this draft. EVERY top team has major players to sign this off season with limited cap space. We could have potentially loaded drafts the next 2 years. 

4 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I hope (expect)  Conroy weaponizes our cap space starting this draft. EVERY top team has major players to sign this off season with limited cap space. We could have potentially loaded drafts the next 2 years. 

Maybe the Leafs want to dump Marner for cheap to clear cap space?

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe the Leafs want to dump Marner for cheap to clear cap space?

Marner for Markstrom

I’d do it all day long, and the Leafs might as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Addicted said:

Marner for Markstrom

I’d do it all day long, and the Leafs might as well. 

well, as far as getting a really good player goes, it would be a good trade.

The questionable part for me is the $10+M salary and sending 6.

He just rurned 27, so a young 27 (if there was one).

A different spin would be Mangiapane for Marner as them dumping cap.

So now that the draft lottery is over, should we be expecting a pick-up in trades/discussions or will that be quiet till the playoffs end or just before the draft?  What has to happen before the draft, ie RFAs, players retained/dropped, late college/Euro signings?

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Apparently Minnesota is willing to listen on Marco Rossi. I think Calgary should be giving Guerin a call. A skilled young center. 

Agreed if true but also i'm not seeing the logic here. Minnesota needs players like Rossi. 

Just now, JTech780 said:

Maybe they are worried about having to pay him, that’s the only thing I can think of.

That's what I've heard, perhaps they don't see him as a player that they don't feel will be worth the money he will command.  If they want a talent for talent swap I think it will be hard for the Flames to make a move, especially if they want someone on an ELC or in the same age range.