Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

Could we trade Huberdeau for Couturier?

Couturier has six years remaining at $7.75-mil.  NMC.  Rumour is he changed agents to ask the Flyers for a trade.  Would Couturier be willing to waive to come to Calgary?

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Could we trade Huberdeau for Couturier?

Couturier has six years remaining at $7.75-mil.  NMC.  Rumour is he changed agents to ask the Flyers for a trade.  Would Couturier be willing to waive to come to Calgary?

I get the angle of Huberdeau for anyone but I think it needs to be pointed out that Huberdeau is still a good player. He's overpaid sure but he contributes and as we saw in the 2nd half is still a borderline top line player. 

Couturier has barely played due to injuries and IMO it's zapped his career. I understand the rationale of dump his contract at any cost but IMO you'd be picking up a bigger problem in Couturier. 

i would not be interested at any cost. 

• Like 2

I wonder about NYI and Sharangovich.

NYI needs scoring and with an 81yr old GM that's not concerned about the future.

It's an opportunity to sell high on Sharangovich. I'm not banking on another 30 goals next year. If you can get the 18th pick from NYI, that's a higher pick than you'd get by waiting until the TDL. NYI has shown a willingness to part with picks for immediate help.

From a Sharangovich perspective, I think it would be wise to sign this summer. Get the 5 or 6 year deal, coming off the career year. NYI is the perfect spot for that. Zero hesitation from Lou with term. He gave Pierre Engvall a 7yr deal...

Ultimately, the Flames have to move at least one winger. Sharangovich is the one they likely want to keep, but also the one they can get the most for. I would hold on to Kuzmenko until TDL. Mangiapane may be a cap dump at this point.

So are we going to give Stamkos a bucket of cash for 3 years?

How much is Reinhart going to get for 57 goals? 

Guentzel is the other big name in free agency.

I just have a feeling that Conroy is going big game hunting.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I was a big fan of throwing money at Stammer last time he was a UFA but I feel he's too old now.

I also doubt he signs here anyway.

IF he did though it would certainly improve our PP. Aside from Ovechkin he's got the deadliest one-tee from the left circle. Also gives Huberdeau passing options.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

They may try, they may have cap space but they are still Calgary.

59 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I wonder about NYI and Sharangovich.

NYI needs scoring and with an 81yr old GM that's not concerned about the future.

It's an opportunity to sell high on Sharangovich. I'm not banking on another 30 goals next year. If you can get the 18th pick from NYI, that's a higher pick than you'd get by waiting until the TDL. NYI has shown a willingness to part with picks for immediate help.

From a Sharangovich perspective, I think it would be wise to sign this summer. Get the 5 or 6 year deal, coming off the career year. NYI is the perfect spot for that. Zero hesitation from Lou with term. He gave Pierre Engvall a 7yr deal...

Ultimately, the Flames have to move at least one winger. Sharangovich is the one they likely want to keep, but also the one they can get the most for. I would hold on to Kuzmenko until TDL. Mangiapane may be a cap dump at this point.

1000% trade Sharangovich for the 18th overall.  I also doubt he gets that much because he's 1-year away from UFA.

43 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Conroy can go big game hunting all he wants but the Flames are not attractive place to play at this stage of their rebuild.  Feels like the entire hockey world knows we are realistically in the first year of a long rebuild no matter what Conroy says to the media.

50 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

1000% trade Sharangovich for the 18th overall.  I also doubt he gets that much because he's 1-year away from UFA.

The idea would be an extension from NYI.

They're not shy about giving term.

I’d be really shocked to see the flames go hunting for a big name. They know they arnt close enough and I think they are very contentious about their draft pick status next year. 

• Like 1

If we were able to deal Markstrom, that opens up a bit of cash, on top of what we currently have available, there is room to cash in.

is stamkos and Sharingovitch very different? Does Stamkos have game left? I don't wanna sign extra money to a guy and then they struggle to score. We made that mistake before. Not saying he's a James Neal or even Ovi, but Ovi kind of fell off the face of the earth there for a minute. 

And, Conroy did say they were looking at what is available in UFA. 

I doubt ownership would be into it, but I'd love for the Flames to get assets for being a cap dump for some teams that want to give up assets to get some cap relief. 

8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The idea would be an extension from NYI.

They're not shy about giving term.

I think the idea of moving him now is counter-intuitive. The idea of acquiring a player that perhaps just needs opportunity has pretty fleeting success. When you have success with that, I don't think it's very savvy to go ahead with, "okay, let's trade him now".

There's more at play imo. It took him awhile to settle in, but he kind of found a way to do it. Now he hits this offseason knowing what to work on, where they see his fit. So I think it's still an adjustment period.

Add, now you've probably got a player that's grateful for opportunity and being given a purpose.

It's not very compelling to turn around and say, "well, we'll get better value trading him now because we won't be able to afford him, won't fit our window etc etc".

These are made up excuses disguised as foresight. Same goes for Kuzmenko. Give the players an offseason guided by your instructions, for pete's sake. You can't just throw everyone you've just acquired to the wind because of the possibility that you'll have to pay more for what amounts to your successes. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face. Plus, you haven't completed the opportunity that you're giving them.

I'm happy knowing that there is no way that Conroy is going to manage like that. Nor do I think anyone would be allowed to turn a franchise into a chaotic misadventure. "But, but...draft picks". The potential of giving away NHL players for zero should easily outweigh that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

I’d be really shocked to see the flames go hunting for a big name. They know they arnt close enough and I think they are very contentious about their draft pick status next year. 

I think they will go after a well known player in FA, but none of the ones mentioned so far.

Lack of C's in the UFA class would seem to imply that they might target a LD.

I do hope they use Markstrom to bring back a decent forward, maybe a C.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think they will go after a well known player in FA, but none of the ones mentioned so far.

Lack of C's in the UFA class would seem to imply that they might target a LD.

I do hope they use Markstrom to bring back a decent forward, maybe a C.

I think they will target players are shorter deals that can give them some depth and insulate the young players. 

It really isn't a good FA crop this year and with teams having money to spend the smart teams will be cautious with FA this year. 

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think the idea of moving him now is counter-intuitive. The idea of acquiring a player that perhaps just needs opportunity has pretty fleeting success. When you have success with that, I don't think it's very savvy to go ahead with, "okay, let's trade him now".

There's more at play imo. It took him awhile to settle in, but he kind of found a way to do it. Now he hits this offseason knowing what to work on, where they see his fit. So I think it's still an adjustment period.

Add, now you've probably got a player that's grateful for opportunity and being given a purpose.

It's not very compelling to turn around and say, "well, we'll get better value trading him now because we won't be able to afford him, won't fit our window etc etc".

These are made up excuses disguised as foresight. Same goes for Kuzmenko. Give the players an offseason guided by your instructions, for pete's sake. You can't just throw everyone you've just acquired to the wind because of the possibility that you'll have to pay more for what amounts to your successes. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face. Plus, you haven't completed the opportunity that you're giving them.

I'm happy knowing that there is no way that Conroy is going to manage like that. Nor do I think anyone would be allowed to turn a franchise into a chaotic misadventure. "But, but...draft picks". The potential of giving away NHL players for zero should easily outweigh that.

Absolutely, there is no way Flames should be not re-signing both these guys. There are other trade opportunities available if wanted. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

When you have success with that, I don't think it's very savvy to go ahead with, "okay, let's trade him now".

To trade a player for a draft pick that "Might" turn into a player you just traded is poor asset management.

• Like 1

As far as trading Kuzmenko! If through circumstances we draft one of Demidov, Silayev, or Artamonov ; Kuzmenko could be crucial to their immergence and success to NA and the Flames organization. 

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I don't think it does much to help in the change the image Calgary has, you want players that want to be here and its a two way street you need to be willing to show some commitment to players as well.  People view it as asset management, but how do the players you draft view the organization?  They probably don't view a team moving a 26 year old 30 goal scorer because they don't want a commitment very favorably, you need to sell these kids on Calgary being a place you can play your entire career, not one that will move them when best they see best fit.  Not saying cave into their every demand, but I think conversations need to start before you get into what can we get for him, there are more guys per year drafted mid-late first round who never hit 30 goals 55-60 points than  do.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

How much are you paying him on an extension though?  That's the bigger issue.  Sharongovich had one year of success.  The suggestion to move him this summer was because there's a chance he returns to the mean next season and back to a 15-goal guy.

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Hello! At 29th? Aw shucks, I guess if I have to. *dramatic exasperated sigh for effect* lol

All day.

Not sure what you're trying to convey here or which direction you are heading as I don't have any teenage daughters and don't speak the post millennial dialect. 

Just now, The_People1 said:

How much are you paying him on an extension though?  That's the bigger issue.  Sharongovich had one year of success.  The suggestion to move him this summer was because there's a chance he returns to the mean next season and back to a 15-goal guy.

Dude. Sharangovich has some hesitancy to his game. Understandable. NJ was unforgiving.

I liked the trade a lot from the outset. One of the few it felt like. He's a really good player. He showed flashes in NJ without question. I peg him to match Buchnevich's numbers. They're not the same, but no 2 players are.

Do you like Buchnevich? Because you have a younger one.

It's a pretty fair comp to where Sharagovich is heading.

I definitely wish we signed Buchnevich away from the Rangers.

St. Louis' best player. Sharangovic will grow further. He just needed a fair opportunity, not unlike Buchnevich.