General NHL Stuff

conundrumed

On 7/7/2022 at 5:56 PM, The_People1 said:

I thought it's a fair trade but the wrong direction for OTT to take.  They are rushing it.  They should've drafted and let their core gel for one more year.

Seems teams are willing to move their picks this year which suggest it's not a great draft.

I disagree. Grab what you can, when you can. He fits the age range of where they're at with their core. Would your 7th be DeBrincat in 2 years? Not much point hoping it's a 30-40 goal scorer when you can secure one now. I think that's a great move by OTT and they'll be able to extend him.

They've added a core young piece so it's really easy to justify.

On 7/14/2022 at 11:36 AM, travel_dude said:

I see that Hockey Canada is on the hotseat now.  Forced to be in the inquiry about the assaults and deal.  This could end badly for some of the players involved.  I am sure the victim signed a NDA, so not really sure how it will work.

I think that it might be important to remember that this happened after an awards banquet with several CHLers in attendance, not just Team Canada.

If I'm making assumptions, my first would be, this happened in London. It emanated from a player that she liked. She's in London...so...I'd assume it emanated from a Knights player?

Again, I'm not concluding, just assuming.

The statement from Dube's agent, per Global News:

Cowan said in a statement: “All of Global News’ questions will be asked and answered during the pending NHL investigation. Dillon did not engage in any wrongdoing, and he cooperated fully with the independent London Police Service investigation in 2018, through which all players were then cleared of any wrongdoing.”

The statement continued: “Naming Dillon or attempting to associate him in any way with alleged criminal wrongdoing, or alleging that he was not cooperative with the London Police or was unwilling to cooperate with Hockey Canada, will constitute materially false statements constituting defamation causing serious financial and reputational harm.”

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think that it might be important to remember that this happened after an awards banquet with several CHLers in attendance, not just Team Canada.

If I'm making assumptions, my first would be, this happened in London. It emanated from a player that she liked. She's in London...so...I'd assume it emanated from a Knights player?

Again, I'm not concluding, just assuming.

The statement from Dube's agent, per Global News:

Cowan said in a statement: “All of Global News’ questions will be asked and answered during the pending NHL investigation. Dillon did not engage in any wrongdoing, and he cooperated fully with the independent London Police Service investigation in 2018, through which all players were then cleared of any wrongdoing.”

The statement continued: “Naming Dillon or attempting to associate him in any way with alleged criminal wrongdoing, or alleging that he was not cooperative with the London Police or was unwilling to cooperate with Hockey Canada, will constitute materially false statements constituting defamation causing serious financial and reputational harm.”

IIRC, there was something that suggested it was a OHL player(s). They may have actually said OHL.  I wasn't worried then, but unfortunately all will be painted the same way.  

On 7/17/2022 at 12:22 PM, travel_dude said:

IIRC, there was something that suggested it was a OHL player(s). They may have actually said OHL.  I wasn't worried then, but unfortunately all will be painted the same way.  

I'm totally not going to touch this anymore. London's only an hour away. I can sense what might've happened.

I'll wait for this to boil to the surface.

All I can leave you with, is this is not going to be good for some. By "not good", I mean, "good. You're busted".

These guys would be fairly fresh out of high school. Now think of the horrible jock culture in high schools. That is a lot of hockey players. Immature jocks being idiots to fit in with the pack mentality.

Which narrows it down to the real issue.

School Boards facing no issues head-on, zero preventative and leaving teachers toothless.

At least in Ontario. How does behaviour become this way? Ask the school board's and the Ontario Ministry of Education.

Back-slapping attaboy lame ducks. Not a progressive thought in their heads. "Stay the course", the horrible course.

They're saving no child. That would be viewed as being proactive, I guess.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I'm totally not going to touch this anymore. London's only an hour away. I can sense what might've happened.

I'll wait for this to boil to the surface.

All I can leave you with, is this is not going to be good for some. By "not good", I mean, "good. You're busted".

These guys would be fairly fresh out of high school. Now think of the horrible jock culture in high schools. That is a lot of hockey players. Immature jocks being idiots to fit in with the pack mentality.

Which narrows it down to the real issue.

School Boards facing no issues head-on, zero preventative and leaving teachers toothless.

At least in Ontario. How does behaviour become this way? Ask the school board's and the Ontario Ministry of Education.

Back-slapping attaboy lame ducks. Not a progressive thought in their heads. "Stay the course", the horrible course.

They're saving no child. That would be viewed as being proactive, I guess.

Yeah, I out on this.  Player's agents issuing press releases.  Gang of 8 remain unnamed.  The entire team painted a certain way.  It's a tough situation, both to defend and to the possible outcomes for people involved.  Innocent or guilty.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Senators set to retire Chris Neil's No. 25 jersey in February (sportsnet.ca)

I understand honoring the guy, but this is a pretty low bar for jersey retirement.  But I guess when most of your other great players have either had greater success elsewhere or demanded their way out.  A good message to their young core, "all you have to do is stay with us and you'll get it too".

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

On another note.  How about that Ovechkin guy?  At one point I never thought I'd see another 800 goal scorer and who knows if I'll see another.  Love him or hate him his chase is good for hockey, on another note this guy has lost around 150 games due to lockouts and covid shortened seasons, without those he'd be very close to Gretzky right now.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 1:44 PM, sak22 said:

On another note.  How about that Ovechkin guy?  At one point I never thought I'd see another 800 goal scorer and who knows if I'll see another.  Love him or hate him his chase is good for hockey, on another note this guy has lost around 150 games due to lockouts and covid shortened seasons, without those he'd be very close to Gretzky right now.

Thoughts?

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/reports-that-ovechkin-could-be-banned-from-entering-canada 

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm kinda like the guy that wrote the attached.  Keep politics out of hockey.

I doubt many fans that have an Ovi jersey burned it after the war started.

All the empty gestures about sanctions and this is the hill they want to plan the flag?

Typical.  Just like the Covid rules that messed up the NHL and MLB for years.

In Canada that is.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not sure it does anything other than a "look at me" which is what this government is all about.  Target the biggest fish just to show they care, I don't know if the country will plan on checking all Russians for this or any Iranians for their political leanings.  Just funny to me, if Ovechkin is being cast as a genocide supporter does that mean everyone you know who's voted liberal in the past 2 elections is a supporter of the art of skin coloring to look like minorities for costumes and groping women?  Until you can pin an actual crime or actual hateful acts on Ovi then you can look at this stuff, but politics needs to take over everything.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Wasn't sure where to post this.  

Does anyone know if this shootout goal would've counted in the NHL?  Player maintained forward momentum the entire time but the puck clearly travels backwards on the shot.

It shouldn't, as you say the puck clearly moves backwards. There was a time the NHL started to allow these, the spin o rama, but then specifically banned it because the puck was moving backwards. 

I can see some grey area here but based on the rules and past precedent I don't think this should count. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It shouldn't, as you say the puck clearly moves backwards. There was a time the NHL started to allow these, the spin o rama, but then specifically banned it because the puck was moving backwards. 

I can see some grey area here but based on the rules and past precedent I don't think this should count. 

I think that's exactly right. It's a spin-o-rama without the player actually changing direction. Sure looked cool, though.

Love.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Wasn't sure where to post this.  

Does anyone know if this shootout goal would've counted in the NHL?  Player maintained forward momentum the entire time but the puck clearly travels backwards on the shot.

It wouldn’t. It didn’t count here either.

He didn’t score.lol

Looks magnificent though.

Former Oiler.

In case anyone actually likes this player...you have to click the link due to the warning described.

But yeah, this is that guy...right up there with B. Lemieux...I'm disappointed Rasmussen didn't kill him, because he would in a real fight. Outside of that, all non-fighters. Real tough guy, pretty disgusting.

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

In case anyone actually likes this player...you have to click the link due to the warning described.

But yeah, this is that guy...right up there with B. Lemieux...I'm disappointed Rasmussen didn't kill him, because he would in a real fight. Outside of that, all non-fighters. Real tough guy, pretty disgusting.

Domi had one good year in Montreal and then the wheels fell right off after that.  He never won over Habs fans who never seemed to like him.   Now, not sure what he is anymore.  #1 Center on the worst team in the NHL.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:37 AM, conundrumed said:

only in hockey is that behaviour "tolerated." How many of those guys had consent to fighting him? Those should be suspendable. The only difference between him and the Lucic suspension is, Lucic is bigger and nearly knocked the guy out. 

On 1/10/2023 at 7:37 AM, conundrumed said:

This is what happens when you are born with more privilege's and grow up in a professional locker room and get quality hockey training that your father never had, you develop skills that your father never had, but you also think that the dumb stuff your father did to keep a job in a different era is part of the game.  Far more skill, unfortunately the same brain.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Steep price for a rental when you are on the outside looking in.  Islanders will need to sign him to make it a good trade.

No doubt they will sign him.

I like Raty and Beauvillier.

Other than the fact that VAN wasn't going to be able to sign him, this is not a great trade.

Not sure what VAN is even doing.

Did they want a tear down or re-tool.

This has bits of both.