General NHL Stuff

conundrumed

23 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I see that Johnny not one of the Hart finalists.

Matthews

McDavid

Shesterkin

Yeah, that makes sense.  Eastern bias obviously.  If Shesterkin is an MVP candidate, then so is Markstrom.

Popularity contest among hacks that don't watch anything more than U-tube highlight reels.   

Shesterkin was substantially better than Markstrom this year. I don't think people really how bad the Rangers were at 5 on 5 an how much Shesterkin really carried them. 

I think the Penguins management wants to rebuild this thing. Burke and Hextall made comments alluding to that when they were hired. 

Still having Crosby playing at a high level throws a wrench into that though and I wonder what Crosby's future looks like in PIT, big picture. 

I don't know. Pavelski got 21 Mill for 3 at 34. Wheeler 8 mill at 32, Statnsy 6.5 at age 32. A 5-6 Mill AAV definetly sounds like a low ball to me for Malkin for sure. It's a bit more fair for Letang but it's still on the low side. I don't see how you can justify that Malkin isn't worth the Pavelski deal. 

Not to mention the optics of giving Carter a 2 year extension at age 37 and then trying to nickel and dime 2 franchise players isn't good. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I don't know. Pavelski got 21 Mill for 3 at 34. Wheeler 8 mill at 32, Statnsy 6.5 at age 32. A 5-6 Mill AAV definetly sounds like a low ball to me for Malkin for sure. It's a bit more fair for Letang but it's still on the low side. I don't see how you can justify that Malkin isn't worth the Pavelski deal. 

Not to mention the optics of giving Carter a 2 year extension at age 37 and then trying to nickel and dime 2 franchise players isn't good. 

Good points.  I'm just thinking Malkin on a 1-year is worth $8-mil... But maybe $6 and $4 after that due to aging.  But other players around Malkin's age have gotten more.  

You also have players like Jamie Benn who hit the wall at 32-years old so teams have to be careful with older players.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Good points.  I'm just thinking Malkin on a 1-year is worth $8-mil... But maybe $6 and $4 after that due to aging.  But other players around Malkin's age have gotten more.  

You also have players like Jamie Benn who hit the wall at 32-years old so teams have to be careful with older players.

Agreed and I get the position the Pens are in. I get the desire to rebuild because their system is awful (it's one of the worst in the league) and the core of their team is on the older side. So being fiscally prudent with older players is logical.

But at the same time you likely won't get a player like Crosby again for some time so "rebuilding" i'm not sure is an option unless your willing to put him on the trade block and fully commit to it. If you arn't going to move Crosby then you have to keep pushing forward with him IMO. 

It's a delicate situation.

very surprising. Gio must have had himself some type of financial advisor. How does 800k even let him keep his head above water at this point? Thought his burn rate would be higher. 

In all seriousness what a class act that guy is. Story is out that Dubas offered him 1 mill and Gio countered at 800k to give him more cap space. Tremendous individual. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

very surprising. Gio must have had himself some type of financial advisor. How does 800k even let him keep his head above water at this point? Thought his burn rate would be higher. 

In all seriousness what a class act that guy is. Story is out that Dubas offered him 1 mill and Gio countered at 800k to give him more cap space. Tremendous individual. 

It's quite possible that Gio wants to retire, so that $800k helps TO in that case as well.  It will be a long season for TO.  Lots of highs and lows.  At least they stand a fighting chance with cap, assuming they trade away some of the supplemental stuff.

Hockey Canada, CHL settle lawsuit over alleged sexual assault involving World Junior players - TSN.ca

NHL Statement:

"Two days ago, the National Hockey League was advised of a lawsuit involving sexual allegations filed against eight unnamed members of the 2018 Canadian World Junior hockey team. We were subsequently provided with the Statement of Claim, containing allegations of behavior that is both abhorrent and reprehensible. We will endeavor to determine the underlying facts and, to the extent this may involve players who are now in the NHL, we will determine what action, if any, would be appropriate. We will have no further comment at this time."

Dillon Dube was the captain of that team, notable players on that team include Makar, Kyrou, Robert Thomas, Carter Hart, Jake Bean, Drake Batherson.  I'm not accusing any of those names, just pointing it out as I do hope this isn't swept under the rug this cannot be tolerated.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh, the Vegas answer to the salary cap.

Have enough IR available to ice less than they had last year.

It's so confusing with their cap even now.

Without reducing with Weber's contract on IR, they have $76.8M tied up in 9F, 7D and 2G.

Reilly Smith a UFA.

Kolesar, Roy, Hague and Howden RFA's.

About $6M in available cap to sign 5 forwards.

The only good thing is the RFA's are all less than $1M, so the QO is low.

If I am a RFA with Vegas, I would hope they don't qualify me.

Nobody there is above being traded to make room for some new guy, the latest toy.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ahh, the Vegas answer to the salary cap.

Have enough IR available to ice less than they had last year.

It's so confusing with their cap even now.

Without reducing with Weber's contract on IR, they have $76.8M tied up in 9F, 7D and 2G.

Reilly Smith a UFA.

Kolesar, Roy, Hague and Howden RFA's.

About $6M in available cap to sign 5 forwards.

The only good thing is the RFA's are all less than $1M, so the QO is low.

If I am a RFA with Vegas, I would hope they don't qualify me.

Nobody there is above being traded to make room for some new guy, the latest toy.

Bizarre is the only word that I can find. Is Sather their GM?

They're not a young team. They don't have much for prospects. Over-playing their hand and creating a bigger mess.

Not understanding. Their window is closing and then it's just gonna be one big mess.

Aha Eichel, Big AHA. They'll be worse than the Sabres in a year or 2. This is a glass house. As fake as the city itself.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Bizarre is the only word that I can find. Is Sather their GM?

They're not a young team. They don't have much for prospects. Over-playing their hand and creating a bigger mess.

Not understanding. Their window is closing and then it's just gonna be one big mess.

Aha Eichel, Big AHA. They'll be worse than the Sabres in a year or 2. This is a glass house. As fake as the city itself.

This should have been their year, but they messed it up.  Injuries played a part, but I suspect some of it was needed just to manage the Eichel deal.  They should have been investigated by the NHL, but Bettman loves Vegas.  

They finally got their #1C, but the cost was extreme.  They survived until now by having value contracts and one or two big names.  The support guys are no longer affordable.  

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

This should have been their year, but they messed it up.  Injuries played a part, but I suspect some of it was needed just to manage the Eichel deal.  They should have been investigated by the NHL, but Bettman loves Vegas.  

They finally got their #1C, but the cost was extreme.  They survived until now by having value contracts and one or two big names.  The support guys are no longer affordable.  

It's not sustainable. They have no value contracts, they've traded away their top picks, even Dadonov was reasonable at $5 per for a very solid middle 6 guy. Patches will turn 34 in November, Stone's 30, Marchessault's 32 in December, Pietrangelo 33 in January, Martinez is 35 soon, Lehner will be 31 soon.

This is most of their top players. These guys aren't 27 forever, in a league that piles in new, young, better players all of the time.

McCrimmon is in big trouble very soon, I feel bad for him. Shouldn't have touched this thing though.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's not sustainable. They have no value contracts, they've traded away their top picks, even Dadonov was reasonable at $5 per for a very solid middle 6 guy. Patches will turn 34 in November, Stone's 30, Marchessault's 32 in December, Pietrangelo 33 in January, Martinez is 35 soon, Lehner will be 31 soon.

This is most of their top players. These guys aren't 27 forever, in a league that piles in new, young, better players all of the time.

McCrimmon is in big trouble very soon, I feel bad for him. Shouldn't have touched this thing though.

Ya their core is aging and I wonder if they even make the playoffs or not next season.  It's somewhat a weak division again depending on what the Flames and Oilers do.  Canucks and Kings are expected to improve from last season and be in the playoff mix all season.  Feels like VGK is the 5th best team in the division on paper.  Ducks probably needs one more full season in the basement.  Kraken and Sharks going nowhere fast.

Is Lehner even 100% for camp next season?  Stone and Patches are injured for long stretches every season it seems.  Should expect it to happen again.  Eichel is the wild card.  He was trending 70-point player with VGK... he needs to put up a 100-point season for them to have a chance.

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya their core is aging and I wonder if they even make the playoffs or not next season.  It's somewhat a weak division again depending on what the Flames and Oilers do.  Canucks and Kings are expected to improve from last season and be in the playoff mix all season.  Feels like VGK is the 5th best team in the division on paper.  Ducks probably needs one more full season in the basement.  Kraken and Sharks going nowhere fast.

Is Lehner even 100% for camp next season?  Stone and Patches are injured for long stretches every season it seems.  Should expect it to happen again.  Eichel is the wild card.  He was trending 70-point player with VGK... he needs to put up a 100-point season for them to have a chance.

Things never seem to match what one expects.

LA was close to getting home ice as 2nd in the Pacific.

The Ducks were rolling then gave up at TDL.

VAN is in a bit of a quandry as to what identity they are.

Vegas has a good cast of players that can easily compete for 1st.

But they have difficult decisions to make.

They bought some cap flexibilty, but they don't gain any deadline cap.

What they start with in October is what they are at game 82.

EDM is interesting to watch with Kenny at the head.

Hasn't fixed the goalie situation and even if Smith retires, he has big problems.

What made them a playoff team is a player that gets $7M on the market.

Maybe I underestimate the market, but I don't see Barrie giving them cap in a trade.

Pooly, Yammer and McLoud just make it worse.

Difficult to sign them all.

Have to buy out Kassian.

Won't get much of the same team back under the cap.

If they manage to sign Kulak, dump Kassian and Barrie, sign the RFA's, are they even close to the same team?  I just don't see it.  Keep Kane and dump Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and Barrie.  1/2 a team.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

McCrimmon was very sought after as a GM, and for good reason. I'm thinking McPhee is still pulling the strings and could leave Kelly's rep in the dust as a result. It's too bad, really, he'd have been great with one of the Cali teams.

But yeah, they need a goalie. How Lehner was ever going to be the answer is beyond me. He's a 1A maybe. Can't expect Broissoit to play a 1a-1b situation.

It's looking a lot like a disaster to me rn. Fleury was free, Dadonov was free...it's going to be very interesting to watch.

If they don't vie for a Cup this year, I'd assume they have to go full rebuild.

The big winner, imho, is Peter DeBoer. He's a solid coach and was heading straight for disaster.

The biggest loser will be Eichel. I imagine his excitement to join Vegas will be wearing thin soon.

That roster screams one line team. The D screams getting too slow. G screams huge concern.

All my opinion of course, they can't buy their way out of this. They were oh so close, but that window is slamming shut and they did their damnedest to stop it. They are now going to be the ultimate lesson in, "you can't avert the cyclical nature of hockey". Can't say they didn't try.

It's pretty much become a great study in mgmt techniques.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Things never seem to match what one expects.

LA was close to getting home ice as 2nd in the Pacific.

The Ducks were rolling then gave up at TDL.

VAN is in a bit of a quandry as to what identity they are.

Vegas has a good cast of players that can easily compete for 1st.

But they have difficult decisions to make.

They bought some cap flexibilty, but they don't gain any deadline cap.

What they start with in October is what they are at game 82.

EDM is interesting to watch with Kenny at the head.

Hasn't fixed the goalie situation and even if Smith retires, he has big problems.

What made them a playoff team is a player that gets $7M on the market.

Maybe I underestimate the market, but I don't see Barrie giving them cap in a trade.

Pooly, Yammer and McLoud just make it worse.

Difficult to sign them all.

Have to buy out Kassian.

Won't get much of the same team back under the cap.

If they manage to sign Kulak, dump Kassian and Barrie, sign the RFA's, are they even close to the same team?  I just don't see it.  Keep Kane and dump Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and Barrie.  1/2 a team.

Fun story. A lot of Detroit fans want Mony and a 2023 2nd for a cap dump. They want to assume the risk for a price and are well aware of his hips. Down the middle they have:

Larkin

Suter  (underrated, good player)

Rasmussen (can move to wing)

Stephens (RFA with Arb rights, shouldn't be an issue)

I steer clear of these conversations. But I'd love Mony in the D if not here. I love the player, personally and Detroit still has a season or 2 of growing pains.

As an aside, these are the same folks saying Raymond will be amongst the league's top 5 players. Maybe maybe?