General NHL Stuff

conundrumed

I'm not sure how abusers in hockey should be treated any different than any other place of employment.

That's the very least of it.

For that matter, coaches in organized sports should be held to a higher standard due to influence they can hold over athletes.

Ask gymnasts about it.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about these predators.  They have ruined lives.  They got away with it, especially in this case.

Quit or we investigate?

Hey, you still get to get your bonus and your ring.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

So is the answer then to chalk it up to bad culture and move on? Personally I think this is huge driver of the problem. For far too long we've normalized sick and disgusting behavior because it's "part of the culture". Since when is sexual harassment or assault part of any productive culture in society? In reading this report perhaps if we sought to get rid of this culture this story could have come out sooner as it sure seems to me that the victims where silenced in part due to the culture. 

When it comes to incidents like this (sexual and abusive in nature), I don't give a Satoshi Nakamoto who gets fired. They don't deserve to be in professional sports, period, and the NHL should feel the same way. 

I agree. All of the young players were subjected to it, then the victims become the vets and then they're the perpetrators. Vicious cycle because no one ever thought to break the cycle. It's a culture that just never stopped.

So here we are 10 years later wondering how this has gone on for decades.

A friend of mine was traded from Spokane to Brandon as a vet. He didn't play a game. He saw brutal hazing and started swinging at all of the vets. Never played in the dub again.

Follow the dots...Brandon.

Sadly, Chicago is a microcosm of what it was.

It HAS to be an open conversation. Hell, even Gretzky coming up would know this stuff. It was everywhere.

It still pervades...US Colleges?

It has to stop, but the silence is deafening. They all take the high road. All of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Pretty powerful interview. Heck of amount of courage for him to do this

https://www.tsn.ca/video/it-was-no-longer-my-word-against-everybody-elses~2307782

Downright harrowing.

Quenneville, Fehr, Chicago's team leaders...there's nowhere to hide now. Nobody likes you. Keith saying he didn't know...yup, just like the rest of them. Make them pay.

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pretty powerful interview. Heck of amount of courage for him to do this

https://www.tsn.ca/video/it-was-no-longer-my-word-against-everybody-elses~2307782

Kyle Beach had so much hype back in the day.  This could explain why he never put it all together and made it to the NHL... At least partly why.

This is turning into the biggest mess/scandal and PR ball drop the league has ever experienced in my lifetime and yes I'm aware that they shut down their league for an entire season over money. This is going to be a black mark for years on the league and the game.

At every turn people involved continue to handle this as poorly as they possible can. It is just mind blowing.

• Like 2

Somehow Sportsnet, on the day Kyle Beach came forward, and stated that he was positive everyone in the locker room knew, decided it was necessary run this piece.  Read the room boys, I know its in their DNA to make everyone who puts on that jersey a saint, but to claim he would've done something, is completely disrespectful to Beach, the other victim on the team who hasn't come forward, the teenage victim, and people like Paul Vincent who did actually have the victims backs at the beginning.  I didn't see the video, it showed up on my feed and when I clicked it went to something else, so I wonder if it was taken down, I don't have a problem if these two numbskulls want to believe Keith's story, they are more than free to do so but those lengths are too far and yesterday wasn't a time to try and glorify him.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Maybe this is premature, but FLA is in tough having coach Q there.

I don't know how he comes out of this unscathed.

Reminds me of the Peters incident, which sent shock wave through the NHL.

Perhaps BP was a bigot or insensitive or a buffoon, but it pales in comparison top this.

Words vs actions and covering up actions.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe this is premature, but FLA is in tough having coach Q there.

I don't know how he comes out of this unscathed.

Reminds me of the Peters incident, which sent shock wave through the NHL.

Perhaps BP was a bigot or insensitive or a buffoon, but it pales in comparison top this.

Words vs actions and covering up actions.

I'm curious what the laws in Chicago are in regards to knowing of a crime/rape and not reporting it.  I understand some places punish that very highly.  Looking the other way is considered a crime, let alone trying to brush it under the rug just so they can focus on the Cup run.  He's the head coach and should take responsibilities for failing to supervise his assistant.  It may or may not be a literal crime but it certainly warrants being removed from the league.  At minimum banned for five years or something.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I'm curious what the laws in Chicago are in regards to knowing of a crime/rape and not reporting it.  I understand some places punish that very highly.  Looking the other way is considered a crime, let alone trying to brush it under the rug just so they can focus on the Cup run.  He's the head coach and should take responsibilities for failing to supervise his assistant.  It may or may not be a literal crime but it certainly warrants being removed from the league.  At minimum banned for five years or something.

It's a tough call.  What did they do in the Canadian military?

In the US, he can sue the people involved and probably name the NHL as well.

But that's civil not criminal.

How long ago was Fleury and Kennedy, and we haven't fixed that problem yet?

Yikes.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Looks like Quenneville is out which is the right decision. 

Have to think that Chevy may be done too.

He resigned but had to at least take responsibility.

Bettman said that if he comes back at some point, he needs to meet with Bettman in advance.

Has 3 years left in his contract, so U don;t think he would be allowed back before then, if at all.

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Have to think that Chevy may be done too.

He resigned but had to at least take responsibility.

Bettman said that if he comes back at some point, he needs to meet with Bettman in advance.

Has 3 years left in his contract, so U don;t think he would be allowed back before then, if at all.

I think these meetings are more to work on settlements for them resigning.  I think Chevy's got moved up so the team can eliminate the distraction and bad publicity they will face by dragging it out over the weekend.

The rumours are swirling that Torts will replace Q.

As a low key Panthers fan, I'd love that. Torts should always have a coaching job.

A little concerned he'll make some style changes. The Cats are the funnest team in the league to watch currently.

Torts, Julien and Boudreau would be frontrunners I'd assume.

Not an easy coach to replace.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

This has been the best statement so far.

Particularly using "contrition". I think it's pretty well said.

Definitely better than Bowman's "the only thing I did wrong was trust someone else to do the right thing" approach.  Anything now from these people are just hollow words, they allowed a criminal to escape the law and reoffend, all because you are worried about a video coach not being around in the finals.  It's not just Kyle affected, what about the intern, the other Black Ace and the 16 year old.  11 years to own up to it, even had opportunities in the summer instead he played dumb then, and now put another organization in a bind.  The only thing they are sorry about is they got caught.  

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, Chevy got off scott free.  As an AGM that attended the one meeting, he did not have sufficient influence to do anything?

Okay.  This isn't a witch hunt, but come on.  Be better.

Head scratcher for sure.  Bettman said Chevy was not in the senior leadership team at the time but isn't AGM pretty "senior" in the leadership group?  How much more senior does one have to be?

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Head scratcher for sure.  Bettman said Chevy was not in the senior leadership team at the time but isn't AGM pretty "senior" in the leadership group?  How much more senior does one have to be?

If this was any other industry, I would suspect anyone at that meeting would be subject to discipline.

But, let's face it this has more to do with lawyers limiting liability.

11 years ago and he's finally owning up to being part of a meeting?

No better effort than Q.