General NHL Stuff

conundrumed

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Rumoured Barkov extension: $10mil x 8 years.

Wow, feel like maybe he left a few dollars on the table there.  A good deal for the Panthers, now if only they could do something about their other 10 million contract.

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sasha was one of my faves from that draft.

Not sure why we weren't able to move up to 2nd overall that year.

1st was a lock, but 2nd was up in the air.

My fave NHL C. Does it all. When Bennett was dealt there, figured, "well, I'll be seeing him". Zito's been a very good mgr for them so far.

A good mix of players to compliment 3 bonafide stars and a great coach. Bobo's contract though, eeks.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Sasha was one of my faves from that draft.

Not sure why we weren't able to move up to 2nd overall that year.

1st was a lock, but 2nd was up in the air.

Barkov at 2 was a bit of a surprise at the time, while he was the second best center on most boards, it was pretty consensus that it was Mackinnon-Jones as 1 and 2 and Drouin as a clear #3, I was hopeful for Barkov at 6 but realistically expecting either Lindholm or Monahan.  But it's not like teams are moving down from 1 or 2 anymore, so I don't really believe we had a chance to move into the top 2.

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

Barkov at 2 was a bit of a surprise at the time, while he was the second best center on most boards, it was pretty consensus that it was Mackinnon-Jones as 1 and 2 and Drouin as a clear #3, I was hopeful for Barkov at 6 but realistically expecting either Lindholm or Monahan.  But it's not like teams are moving down from 1 or 2 anymore, so I don't really believe we had a chance to move into the top 2.

Yeah, it was an unrealistic hope for me as well.

I knew Monahan and Lindholm would be good 2nd tier players compared to those others.

Glad at least that Drouin didn't fall.

The reason why I thought that #2 was available was that I only heard about Feaster trying to get #1.

On 10/9/2021 at 12:19 AM, The_People1 said:

I would take Barkov over Eichel anyday.  Barkov has more fight and grit in his game.  Well done by FLA if it's $10x8.  

Huberdeau 2011 3rdoa

Barkov 2013 2ndoa

Ekblad 2014 1stoa

That’s a rebuild. 7-10yrs later they’re really good.

There’s how long “tear it down” takes.😬

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Huberdeau 2011 3rdoa

Barkov 2013 2ndoa

Ekblad 2014 1stoa

Also the 3rd times the charm for that franchise

'90's Niedermayer, Jovo

'00's Weiss, JBo and Horton + an absolute robbery of the Islanders.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Huberdeau 2011 3rdoa

Barkov 2013 2ndoa

Ekblad 2014 1stoa

And if they had not hired Quenville (rare coach) I think they'd still be "rebuilding" to a certain extent. So many things have to come together and Florida finally getting an owner willing to open up the wallet for a coach was huge. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cross16 said:

And if they had not hired Quenville (rare coach) I think they'd still be "rebuilding" to a certain extent. So many things have to come together and Florida finally getting an owner willing to open up the wallet for a coach was huge. 

And as you pointed out in a different thread awhile ago, they made some atrocious trades. It amazes me the talent that has filtered through. Zito has done a great job though, likely listening to Quenneville.lol

Florida is well worth following. With the added bonus of the great story that is Ryan Lomberg on their 4th line.

If ever there was a guy that has fought tooth and nail and clawed his way into the NHL, BT called it. Just didn't stay with it. Maybe he should trust his initial instincts?

When Quenneville is saying, "I like that guy", BT was onto something.

I've been Lomberg's biggest fanboy for a long time. 4th line guys.

6-7mins/gm of fireball intensity on the bench most of the game. Who needs that?

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

And as you pointed out in a different thread awhile ago, they made some atrocious trades. It amazes me the talent that has filtered through. Zito has done a great job though, likely listening to Quenneville.lol

Florida is well worth following. With the added bonus of the great story that is Ryan Lomberg on their 4th line.

If ever there was a guy that has fought tooth and nail and clawed his way into the NHL, BT called it. Just didn't stay with it. Maybe he should trust his initial instincts?

I think he recognizes the talent, but can't seem to find a coach that will use them to their strengths.

And keep them long enough to get there. 

Lom is not the only ex-Flame to find success elsewhere.

On 10/13/2021 at 7:40 AM, conundrumed said:

Lomberg is the toughest punching bag I've ever seen.  Seen him take some haymakers from much bigger guys and it's like his head is made of concrete.  Just shakes it off and keeps going.  Pound for pound the toughest player in the NHL.  And he's a good skater so he's effective in his role.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Lomberg is the toughest punching bag I've ever seen.  Seen him take some haymakers from much bigger guys and it's like his head is made of concrete.  Just shakes it off and keeps going.  Pound for pound the toughest player in the NHL.  And he's a good skater so he's effective in his role.

I have xl hands and about 4" on him. His hands are big for his size, and like a lumberjacks when shaking his hand.

Excellent guy, always smiling. Couldn't be happier for him.

48 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Last night TBag vs Detroit:

Perry slewfoots Erne

Palat crosschecks Rasmussen from behind causing him to face-plant into the boards

Joseph boards Larkin from behind

Larkin gets up and punches Joseph with his glove on

Today, Larkin has a hearing with DOP(e)S.

What a league.

Meanwhile Blake Coleman is like

regret GIF

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Meanwhile Blake Coleman is like

regret GIF

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Last night TBag vs Detroit:

Perry slewfoots Erne

Palat crosschecks Rasmussen from behind causing him to face-plant into the boards

Joseph boards Larkin from behind

Larkin gets up and punches Joseph with his glove on

Today, Larkin has a hearing with DOP(e)S.

What a league.

That's the biggest problem with this league. Some hits that could be equally or even more agregious go unpunished. The fact that they pick and choose offences of similar nature only allows players to continue the behaviours. Maybe Larkin is getting penalized/a hearing for his hit on the boards. Can't injure the boards? 

I could get on board with the Coleman suspension or any suspension for that matter, but when they don't have a standard, it always depends too heavily on interpretation. Do it like the NFL. A hit to the head is an automatic certain amount of a penalty and it's so many games. No ifs, ands, or buts, or history. 

If I killed someone, are they going to look at me and say, "oh, he's not a repeat offender, let's only give him 3 years!"? Make a penalty a penalty and if it's a star player, it's a star player, who cares. He has done something wrong and now the team pays for that wrong because he did a stupid thing. A penalty is meant to hurt the offending player's team. If they want to throw history into it, make it a 3 game offence to any hits to the head or distinct boarding infractions. Any repeat offenders get an automatic 5. And then up to 10. Whatever those game numbers are, make it a hard rule.  

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

NHL DOPS is so antiquated in their thinking. Once again, let's pick out the retaliation and not look at the original action.

I don't like what Larkin did but I dislike what Joseph did just as much. Both should be getting a call today. 

Larkin's coming off a neck injury. His response was instigated. But that doesn't seem to matter if you play for TBay. Palat on Rasmussen? Player safety?

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

NHL DOPS is so antiquated in their thinking. Once again, let's pick out the retaliation and not look at the original action.

I don't like what Larkin did but I dislike what Joseph did just as much. Both should be getting a call today. 

But maybe if the league would punish the hit, he might not retaliate the way he did?