General NHL Stuff

conundrumed

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, when Svetch scored that one on Rittich a few years ago, he actually contacted the goalie in the mask with his stick.  Somehow it wasn't a high stick.  Somehow it was below the crossbar.  Stick to the head is ok with a goalie?  Is it because he's following through?  Well, that dosn't add up because it/s not a shot, it's a swing of the stick.

The NHL loves it because it's TV appeal.  Teams should knock the kid's block off when he tries it.  Buffalo sat back and watched it.  

I think it is possibly because on a shot, if you high stick a player it is not a high stick because it is a follow through on the shot, so it is probably a similar idea. I think it is because of that, like you said? I could see your point that it is a swinging stick instead of a shot.

28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it is possibly because on a shot, if you high stick a player it is not a high stick because it is a follow through on the shot, so it is probably a similar idea. I think it is because of that, like you said? I could see your point that it is a swinging stick instead of a shot.

I don't even think it was reviewed by the NHL.

The one more preplexing is whether it was a high stick prior to the goal.

If you contact the puck with a high stick, it's blown down if you play it after that point.

The puck was still on his stick when he scored.

Riddle me that one.

I have heard no talk about it.

Just how great it was. 

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Not sure that would have made a difference in this case.  Going North with head down and get hit by a South bound train.

Against pretty much a career AHLer...yikes.

In other news, the Ducks move a pt passed us into first. Buddy Robinson opened the scoring for the Ducks.

Jon Gillies stopped 36 of 39 shots for the covid-ravaged blues in a 3-2 OT loss.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Against pretty much a career AHLer...yikes.

In other news, the Ducks move a pt passed us into first. Buddy Robinson opened the scoring for the Ducks.

Jon Gillies stopped 36 of 39 shots for the covid-ravaged blues in a 3-2 OT loss.

Gillies was an emergency NHL signing.

Believe he was on a NHL only contract, but Bing is out (COVID).

ANA has played two more games than us, so we are actually 2nd by points in the Pacific, but 1st by points %.  IN the West, we are 3rd in points and 2nd in points %.

Seems like every team in the west is struggling to gain points at the top.

It's just getting closer between 1st and 10th.

It would seem that BOS is the common link between teams just entering COVID.

BOS played EDM on Thursday, MacLeod place in COVID protocol today.

CAR played EDM Saturday, today Aho, Jarvis, Cole, Lorentz, Staal, and Svech all on COVID protocol.

BOS played CGY Saturday, 9 players in protocol today.

Doubt it's Vegas, since EDM wasn't there recently and BOS just arrived there.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It would seem that BOS is the common link between teams just entering COVID.

BOS played EDM on Thursday, MacLeod place in COVID protocol today.

CAR played EDM Saturday, today Aho, Jarvis, Cole, Lorentz, Staal, and Svech all on COVID protocol.

BOS played CGY Saturday, 9 players in protocol today.

Doubt it's Vegas, since EDM wasn't there recently and BOS just arrived there.

we also recently played Carolina but maybe to far gone with it being past incubation period?

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Is it time to start thinking that we are not going to have an 82 game season?

I'm doubting it big time.:(

I do think they need to cancel one or more of the Olympic and All Star breaks.

The All Star break is in COVID destination #1 (IMHO).

Super Spreader event if I ever heard of one.

Get all the teams' best players in one sheet of ice.

Not a contact sport but they share 2 benches and socialize.

And the Vegas Flu being a thing.

Eliminate these two event participations and you can use two weeks to allow for an inevitable shut down.

Get it done and people back to hockey.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Is it time to start thinking that we are not going to have an 82 game season?

I'm doubting it big time.:(

I would welcome going back to a 72-game schedule like way back in the day.  Less back-to-back which translates to higher quality of games.  The NHL season is too long as is anyways.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm surprised because the season is still young and the Jets started strong only to go on a slide lately.  I guess expectations were extremely high this season.

Honestly I think they needed to get rid of Maurice. Like AV in Philly, the coaching style just doesn't match the roster.

It's not that AV, Maurice or Green are bad coaches, just the style that they want the team to play doesn't match the roster. I think it's more about the gm and coach have to be of the same mindset. BT can't just run out and grab Hoffman or Skinner for example. They don't fit what the coach wants.

AV completely demoted Konecny 3 wks in last year. Konecny was fire. AV didn't like his D play.Boudreau in Van has them playing pond hockey atm. The players love it. They want to run and gun. He needs to decide how to structure that.

AV took a team that wants to run and gun and tried to make them a better D team.

All good coaches, but the GM needs to decide on coach and providing for the type of coach.

Precisely why we get Coleman, the LA duo, Pitlick, Z and Gud. Need to provide for the type of coach.

It's the GM's job to understand that.

Chevy's a great GM, Maurice is a great coach, but it's likely just gotten stale, and it shows.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Honestly I think they needed to get rid of Maurice. Like AV in Philly, the coaching style just doesn't match the roster.

It's not that AV, Maurice or Green are bad coaches, just the style that they want the team to play doesn't match the roster. I think it's more about the gm and coach have to be of the same mindset. BT can't just run out and grab Hoffman or Skinner for example. They don't fit what the coach wants.

AV completely demoted Konecny 3 wks in last year. Konecny was fire. AV didn't like his D play.Boudreau in Van has them playing pond hockey atm. The players love it. They want to run and gun. He needs to decide how to structure that.

AV took a team that wants to run and gun and tried to make them a better D team.

All good coaches, but the GM needs to decide on coach and providing for the type of coach.

Precisely why we get Coleman, the LA duo, Pitlick, Z and Gud. Need to provide for the type of coach.

It's the GM's job to understand that.

Chevy's a great GM, Maurice is a great coach, but it's likely just gotten stale, and it shows.

Trues, Maurice has been there many years and has done little with what has been a good roster.  They've stopped progressing and are trending sideways at best.

Still, their season is not lost and if the leash was this short then why didn't change coaches during the summer?  Or why didn't Chevy get more Maurice-type players?

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Excellent exit statement from Maurice. Dude is pure class.

In other news, ANOTHER KO....

Boy hate this one the most of them all because Kero didn't even have the puck. You can argue blame onto Khaira and MacDonald for not looking up with the puck but this was a clear penalty.  An interference/headshot where Kero didn't have the puck, was defenseless and shouldn't expect a hit.

What a difference a yr has made in Detroit. The fans are beside themselves in joy. From constant calls to trade Larkin to a new nickname of D Boss, It's been quite a bounceback for the captain, he's become the work ethic leader, hitting, fighting, sticking up for teammates. Hard to believe he's still just 25.

The persistently patient treatment of prospects is now paying off with Seider and Raymond, 2 Calder favourites currently along with rookie goalie Nedeljkovic.

Loaded with young players in Hronek, Lindstrom (D) and Zadina, Ramussen, Veleno, Stephens (F) the pipeline is still pretty relentless.

Likely adding two more Calder candidates for next year in Edvinsson and Berggren, and still top level prospects in Wallinder, Johannson, McIsaac (D), Neiderbach, Soderblom, (F) Cossa (G).

The Wings are suddenly a young, dynamic team well worth keeping an eye on.

After YEARS of being horrible.

How long would we be willing to wait for a full rebuild?

46 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Officially no Olympics

To be quite honest, may be an unpopular opinion, the NHL players in the Olympics was great for a bit, but I could care less if they ever go back in it.  SLC and Vancouver were great experiences as a Canadian hockey fan, but I'm fine with an uninterrupted NHL season where we don't risk players to injury or watch games at 3 in the morning.  I survived never seeing Gretzky and Lemieux in their primes play together for Canada in the Olympics, I can survive never seeing Crosby and McDavid together.  Get the World Cup going every 4 years before the season starts would be more preferable for me