General NHL Stuff

conundrumed

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Larkin's coming off a neck injury. His response was instigated. But that doesn't seem to matter if you play for TBay. Palat on Rasmussen? Player safety?

50 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

But maybe if the league would punish the hit, he might not retaliate the way he did?

Agreed, which is why I would suggest that both should face discipline. Punish both would set the standard that neither are ok rather than trying to pick one side or the other which is exactly why the NHL seems to like to do. 

Joseph actually had the more dangerous play IMO but it should be remembered that despite what they may state publicly, the NHL does not care about player safety. They have made that very clear over the years. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed, which is why I would suggest that both should face discipline. Punish both would set the standard that neither are ok rather than trying to pick one side or the other which is exactly why the NHL seems to like to do. 

Joseph actually had the more dangerous play IMO but it should be remembered that despite what they may state publicly, the NHL does not care about player safety. They have made that very clear over the years. 

I have no problem that Larkin gets a game, but NOTHING on Joseph? NOTHING on Palat? Not even a call?

Wow. Just wow. TBay are the darlings apparently. What a horrible look. Palat's play is exactly what no one wants. Nothing. So he'll do it again.

The Palat hit on Rasmussen and Joseph on Larkin should have been penalties.  Exact same hit as Hanifin on Connor that playin round.  I understand we don't want to encourage players to protect the puck facing the boards thinking they should be untouchable but if the hitter comes in with unnecessary force, a penalty should be called.

Larkin retaliation needs to be a 5-gamer though.  Blindside shoulder hits to the head are a real no-no nowadays but a blindside punch to the head is just one game?  Oh right, because the length of suspension depends if it causes injury.  Joseph wasn't unconscious on the ice.

37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The Palat hit on Rasmussen and Joseph on Larkin should have been penalties.  Exact same hit as Hanifin on Connor that playin round.  I understand we don't want to encourage players to protect the puck facing the boards thinking they should be untouchable but if the hitter comes in with unnecessary force, a penalty should be called.

Larkin retaliation needs to be a 5-gamer though.  Blindside shoulder hits to the head are a real no-no nowadays but a blindside punch to the head is just one game?  Oh right, because the length of suspension depends if it causes injury.  Joseph wasn't unconscious on the ice.

You're just being a contrarian. Rasmussen hustling to a loose puck, had no idea Palat was there. Crosschecked 2 feet from the boards. Faceplants. Same reason we have no touch icing. Larkin doesn't retaliate if not for the hit. LARKIN didn't return.

26 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

You're just being a contrarian. Rasmussen hustling to a loose puck, had no idea Palat was there. Crosschecked 2 feet from the boards. Faceplants. Same reason we have no touch icing. Larkin doesn't retaliate if not for the hit. LARKIN didn't return.

That's a bit of Red Wings bias showing there. It's a boarding penalty for sure.  Even deserving of 5-minutes.  But not suspension worthy.  Coleman drive his guy into the boards hard full body so that's another story.

Refs blew the call.  Larkin should be upset at the ref, not retaliate on Joseph.  Or at least, drop the gloves fair and square.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That's a bit of Red Wings bias showing there. It's a boarding penalty for sure.  Even deserving of 5-minutes.  But not suspension worthy.  Coleman drive his guy into the boards hard full body so that's another story.

Refs blew the call.  Larkin should be upset at the ref, not retaliate on Joseph.  Or at least, drop the gloves fair and square.

Not at all. Larkin swiped him 2 secs later. Should have taken his glove off first. Larkin fights. Joseph ran him and ran.

Larkin bounced up and swung.

DOPS is protecting no one from Palat being sneaky dirty and running away. Rasmussen went after him, there's the refs. It's ridiculous. Players can only protect each other. Not Palat's first time, he knows what he's doing.

Detroit vs Tampa is about to get really dirty. Thank the DOPS for that.

Another wicked installment of FLA v TBay last night. Had to run the TV & Ipad to watch CBJ-DET as well.lol

Spencer Knight looked phenomenal. Calder candidate, likely along with Lundell.

FLA's speed is downright ridiculous. Duclair bumped to 1st line, Reinhart to 3rd. Reinhart-Lundell-Marchment showing good chemistry.

Well balanced lines. 4th line seeing 10 mins, only Barkov over 20mins among fwds.

I'd like to see us get there.

• Like 1

This is really troubling. How can you possibly give the option to a predator like this? It's really sad becuase I think many people in McDonough's shoes would have done the same thing because they believe that firing someone means they did their job and the individual is "punished". Meanwhile what they really did was just let a predator going undetected and inflict more damage. No regard for the bigger picture.

This is where we have to do so much better as a society. 

That's pathetic. So even though it's right in the report that he knew of the allegations in 2010 he is still trying to maintain he didn't know the full extent of them? That's brutal. 

The timing of this is also is pretty suspicious given I think it's likely Bowman could be fired soon anyway given the direction of the Hawks and the brutal Seth Jones trade. 

Not condoning this incident.

This behaviour is rife in hockey. Testosterone gone wild. Being around and having known lots of jr players, the stories are incredibly over-the-top and involve many high-ranking guys today. The hazing incidents are unbelievable too. To hold everyone accountable over the last 20 yrs, there would literally be no one left.

Peters used the N-word. That is the most lightweight thing you'll hear amongst the things I've heard.

All of the ex-player commentators and analysts know this stuff too. No way you grow up in the environment and don't know how it has been in the past. Not even maybe.

It was the culture. The Hrudey's, Kypreos, Redmond, Goring, Andreychuk et.al., they all know the culture was monstrous and all of them would have witnessed pretty bad Satoshi Nakamoto.

So where's the line? If there isn't one, you're firing everyone.

So is the answer then to chalk it up to bad culture and move on? Personally I think this is huge driver of the problem. For far too long we've normalized sick and disgusting behavior because it's "part of the culture". Since when is sexual harassment or assault part of any productive culture in society? In reading this report perhaps if we sought to get rid of this culture this story could have come out sooner as it sure seems to me that the victims where silenced in part due to the culture. 

When it comes to incidents like this (sexual and abusive in nature), I don't give a Satoshi Nakamoto who gets fired. They don't deserve to be in professional sports, period, and the NHL should feel the same way. 

• Like 2