General NHL Stuff

conundrumed

It sorta sounds like the ice hockey team (sounds American doesn't it) could be made up from AHL players or guys that didn't get contracts.  Dubie in nets.  Ho Sang as a forward.  

I wonder if players like Pelletier and Wolf would be considered?

It's risky for the Flames to let two guys go to China, considering how playrs may need to be recalled.

But it would be a great experience for players like that, over the usual Nigel Dawes or that Russian we signed for a year.

Russia has an edge with KHL players, but AHL teams have tons of talent that could compete.

Maybe not win, but at least ice a decent team.

On 12/22/2021 at 5:06 AM, conundrumed said:

What a difference a yr has made in Detroit. The fans are beside themselves in joy. From constant calls to trade Larkin to a new nickname of D Boss, It's been quite a bounceback for the captain, he's become the work ethic leader, hitting, fighting, sticking up for teammates. Hard to believe he's still just 25.

The persistently patient treatment of prospects is now paying off with Seider and Raymond, 2 Calder favourites currently along with rookie goalie Nedeljkovic.

Loaded with young players in Hronek, Lindstrom (D) and Zadina, Ramussen, Veleno, Stephens (F) the pipeline is still pretty relentless.

Likely adding two more Calder candidates for next year in Edvinsson and Berggren, and still top level prospects in Wallinder, Johannson, McIsaac (D), Neiderbach, Soderblom, (F) Cossa (G).

The Wings are suddenly a young, dynamic team well worth keeping an eye on.

After YEARS of being horrible.

How long would we be willing to wait for a full rebuild?

As long as it takes if it's done right. The done right is debatable because there's build young prospect pool until there's a hint of success and then it is over. Then there's done right by drafting good and high and as much as possible over at least 4-5 or more years.

On 12/22/2021 at 5:43 PM, sak22 said:

To be quite honest, may be an unpopular opinion, the NHL players in the Olympics was great for a bit, but I could care less if they ever go back in it.  SLC and Vancouver were great experiences as a Canadian hockey fan, but I'm fine with an uninterrupted NHL season where we don't risk players to injury or watch games at 3 in the morning.  I survived never seeing Gretzky and Lemieux in their primes play together for Canada in the Olympics, I can survive never seeing Crosby and McDavid together.  Get the World Cup going every 4 years before the season starts would be more preferable for me 

For me, I think the whole players in the Olympics need to be an every olympics thing or not at all. I can't stand the whole, are they going or are they not? thing. 

Ya, I agree, if the NHL and players want to see the benefits of an Olympic-type event, then do the World Cup and make it real. Don't have the Young Stars play. That becomes an all-star game. Or maybe another organization creates it? The Players should get paid, but maybe it is like a beer league tournament, where the top three teams get to split the prize? I dunno. Make it kind of like a Pro Tennis tourney. 

I also don't like how the olympics get to keep a lot of the revenue off of athletes competing for free. Where do the funds go? The host city/country tends to do a lot of the heavy lifting financially. 

Let's start a world tourney organization. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

As long as it takes if it's done right. The done right is debatable because there's build young prospect pool until there's a hint of success and then it is over. Then there's done right by drafting good and high and as much as possible over at least 4-5 or more years.

I think it's easy personally. Manage what you want. Your scouts get your direction, and that's pretty much it.

What I see, is the difference in Yzerman and Sakic vs, even a Doug Armstrong is a whole other thing....like Eichel.

BT needs to pick a fight and win it. I'd love that for him.

Zero Canadian home games for the next little while.

Even though 50% fans allowed in the Dome, they cancelled for the potential future of 100% fans?

Or perhaps there will be another Fed ban of fans in Canada.

Either way, we get 5 road games now.

Next scheduled home game is January 11th.

We will have 30 home games remaining for the season at that point.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I can't believe they've activated Khaira already.  This is such disregard for the personal health of their own player's long term well being.  The Blackhawks organization keeps sinking lower and lower.

Yeash that just happened.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I can't believe they've activated Khaira already.  This is such disregard for the personal health of their own player's long term well being.  The Blackhawks organization keeps sinking lower and lower.

As long as he know not to check hard, or act tough to draw a fight.  And as long as he doesn't check or go into the boards or drive the net or goalie.  Or slash Johnny.  What could go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Bobby Clarke blaming everything on Ron Hextall...

I take all of that with a big grain of salt but nonetheless pretty crazy to see an NHL executive make comments like that. League has notoriously been pretty hush/hush and "protect their own" mindset so was interesting to see Clarke be so brash like that. 

And I feel compelled to point our the irony of Bobby Clarke blaming someone else for the Flyers struggles.  The guy who didn't exactly light the world on fire as a GM himself. 

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I take all of that with a big grain of salt but nonetheless pretty crazy to see an NHL executive make comments like that. League has notoriously been pretty hush/hush and "protect their own" mindset so was interesting to see Clarke be so brash like that. 

And I feel compelled to point our the irony of Bobby Clarke blaming someone else for the Flyers struggles.  The guy who didn't exactly light the world on fire as a GM himself. 

Ya I mean, Hextall already got fired so that action alone means the organization blames him for their struggles.  Why go out of his way to embarrass the guy further?  And also saying 2 or 3 of his first round picks will never play in the NHL.  Still so early to write off those kids.

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I mean, Hextall already got fired so that action alone means the organization blames him for their struggles.  Why go out of his way to embarrass the guy further?  And also saying 2 or 3 of his first round picks will never play in the NHL.  Still so early to write off those kids.

Ya total scapegoating IMO. here are Hextal's first round picks. Other than Rubstov (who was a bit controversial at the time sure) it looks pretty good. The Flyers have extended, since Hextall left, almost all of these players so if they were so bad why are they keeping them around?

So 1 is pretty much a write off i'd say, Rubstov, and the other is Jay O'Brien who looks pretty good in the NCAA right now. Frost is an NHLer he just can't stay healthy so not sure how that is Hextalls' fault. 

Hextall.PNG

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Ya total scapegoating IMO. here are Hextal's first round picks. Other than Rubstov (who was a bit controversial at the time sure) it looks pretty good. The Flyers have extended, since Hextall left, almost all of these players so if they were so bad why are they keeping them around?

So 1 is pretty much a write off i'd say, Rubstov, and the other is Jay O'Brien who looks pretty good in the NCAA right now. Frost is an NHLer he just can't stay healthy so not sure how that is Hextalls' fault. 

Hextall.PNG

Same with Patrick, how was Hextall supposed to know Nolan Patrick would develop migraines and post concussion issues 3 years before they happened?  Patrick could've turned out okay if he stayed healthy.

The way Bobby Clarke says it, feels like we can get Morgan Frost for a 5th round pick if he was GM.

• 2 months later...

Some GM meetings notes

Good to see discussions on these topics, other topics were the standard of officiating heading into the playoffs, anti-bullying discrimination abuse and harassments.  Whether anything significant comes out of this remains to be seen, I don't hold much optimism for.

As for Melnyk, its easy to criticize him for what he did as the owner of the Senators, but he should be remembered as someone who signed up to own a team that declared bankruptcy, at a time when Canadian franchises weren't profitable in small markets, in a city that built a rink in one of the worst locations in the league. These guys are as passionate about the game and their city as the rest of us, they just have the resources to have influence in the game.  RIP Eugene Melnyk.

• Like 1

Probably be in the minority here but I'm sad to hear they will discontinue the Team Europe and Team North America format. I view the World Cup as a showcase of hockey, not something about country or national pride, so I actually really liked the idea of expanding the talent pool and providing an opportunity for great players to play when they otherwise wouldn't. 

If it were me I'd leave the Olympics for national pride/countries and just make the World Cup the best hockey I could and use it to market the game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Probably be in the minority here but I'm sad to hear they will discontinue the Team Europe and Team North America format. I view the World Cup as a showcase of hockey, not something about country or national pride, so I actually really liked the idea of expanding the talent pool and providing an opportunity for great players to play when they otherwise wouldn't. 

If it were me I'd leave the Olympics for national pride/countries and just make the World Cup the best hockey I could and use it to market the game. 

Yeah I think you do more for the growth of the game if you can have the Anze Kopitar's showcase themselves on a world stage where they can compete vs. watching a team with a couple pros get slaughtered by the superpowers, but I thinking building up the WC and eliminating the Olympic participation is the NHL's desired end game.

29 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Yeah I think you do more for the growth of the game if you can have the Anze Kopitar's showcase themselves on a world stage where they can compete vs. watching a team with a couple pros get slaughtered by the superpowers, but I thinking building up the WC and eliminating the Olympic participation is the NHL's desired end game.

You are probably right but IMO that won't happen.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

The owners would like that, but the league and NHLPA absolutely wan to be in the Olympics.  For some players, it's the only chance they will get in their career for any greatness.  For Bettman, it draws a ton of interest worldwide.  More money.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The owners would like that, but the league and NHLPA absolutely wan to be in the Olympics.  For some players, it's the only chance they will get in their career for any greatness.  For Bettman, it draws a ton of interest worldwide.  More money.

The league is the owners, and Bettman works for them, he doesn't really want the Olympics.  The NHL participated in 5 Olympics.  I don't think the league has ever really grew in Torino or Nagano or those countries.  The tournament is for the benefit of the players and fans, and the IIHF and IOC, I don't know if it really draws that much interest into the league, but more of a distraction for hockey fans.  

24 minutes ago, sak22 said:

The league is the owners, and Bettman works for them, he doesn't really want the Olympics.  The NHL participated in 5 Olympics.  I don't think the league has ever really grew in Torino or Nagano or those countries.  The tournament is for the benefit of the players and fans, and the IIHF and IOC, I don't know if it really draws that much interest into the league, but more of a distraction for hockey fans.  

The league is bigger than the owners though.  Bettman is there to grow the game and sell it to advertizers.  The SCF is hard to compete with other things in sports for television share.  Bettman only wanted the NHL out of the Olympics because he felt the NHL was losing out on $$.  China should have been huge for $$, but it got messed up by COVID.  

But anyway, it's easier to sell when the games are on prime time.  

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The league is bigger than the owners though.  Bettman is there to grow the game and sell it to advertizers.  The SCF is hard to compete with other things in sports for television share.  Bettman only wanted the NHL out of the Olympics because he felt the NHL was losing out on $$.  China should have been huge for $$, but it got messed up by COVID.  

But anyway, it's easier to sell when the games are on prime time.  

Bettman was with the NBA when they went in 1992, and the Dream Team helped the NBA improve its brand globally.  Bettman wanted that for the NHL, he even tried convincing the Olympics to move ice hockey to the summer.  If there were strides made in the Japan, China, UK, Germany, France and Italy over the 5 Olympics, there would never be debate about the security of the NHL involvement in the Olympics.  The truth is the Nagano, Torino and Sochi Olympics accomplished very little, and part of the only reason that SLC and Vancouver were, was due to the teams in the final.  I think the league is over the idea of global growth through the Olympics.  They will go in 2026 to Italy for sure, they'll need to give the players that.  

I think the only debate for the NHL was that the league was not benefiting from the games.  They took on all the risk for the players (insurance, etc.) and got no financial benefit, well not enough.  The same reason for going to the Olympics was the NHL going to Europe and China, etc. for season start games.  It may not equate to a huge growth, but it's a global competition for sports.  You sit out and you may lose a bit.  That's worse than just a minor increase.  

The value of NHL teams continues to increase.  The pandemic caused enough losses in profits, so they can't just cut off an attempt to increase it, just because the gains were small.  

23 hours ago, cross16 said:

I could see your point. I think if they decide to go to the Olympics they need to make a commitment to go to every olympic and not pick or choose. I hate the are we going or not debate every time. 

On 3/29/2022 at 1:03 PM, cross16 said:

I agree with all of this. I enjoyed the last one regardless of how much criticism came out of it. Should it be driven by the IIHF, the NHL, or both? NHL or International rinks? Wasn't Team NA the young team?