General NHL Stuff

conundrumed

On 3/29/2022 at 11:03 AM, cross16 said:

Probably be in the minority here but I'm sad to hear they will discontinue the Team Europe and Team North America format. I view the World Cup as a showcase of hockey, not something about country or national pride, so I actually really liked the idea of expanding the talent pool and providing an opportunity for great players to play when they otherwise wouldn't. 

If it were me I'd leave the Olympics for national pride/countries and just make the World Cup the best hockey I could and use it to market the game. 

I didn't like the concept of Team North America and Team Europe.  It's mainly because they were creating too many teams.  At one point, it felt like a cash grab and too gimmicky.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I didn't like the concept of Team North America and Team Europe.  It's mainly because they were creating too many teams.  At one point, it felt like a cash grab and too gimmicky.

On one hand Canada didn't need any of the U23 players because it won the tournament and I don't think anyone on the U23 team would've made team Canada, that includes McDavid who had a solid rookie year but didn't truly break out til that season.  The US was a different story, they didn't have a good tournament whereas they had a lot of talent on the U23 team that could've made a difference to the US team even if you exclude Matthews who hadn't played in the NHL yet.  Under that format they would likely be without Jack Hughes, who could be one of the best Americans by that time.   With players like Bedard and Wright most likely having played at least 1 season, by 2024 I would say the team NA format would be the best for including those players because I don't know if either will have that immediate impact to put them on TC.

28 minutes ago, sak22 said:

On one hand Canada didn't need any of the U23 players because it won the tournament and I don't think anyone on the U23 team would've made team Canada, that includes McDavid who had a solid rookie year but didn't truly break out til that season.  The US was a different story, they didn't have a good tournament whereas they had a lot of talent on the U23 team that could've made a difference to the US team even if you exclude Matthews who hadn't played in the NHL yet.  Under that format they would likely be without Jack Hughes, who could be one of the best Americans by that time.   With players like Bedard and Wright most likely having played at least 1 season, by 2024 I would say the team NA format would be the best for including those players because I don't know if either will have that immediate impact to put them on TC.

Right but at the same time, it defeats the whole "best on best" concept.  If kids are not ready yet then they are not ready yet.  So it becomes simply wanting to showcase young players but that's what the NHL season is for.  

22 hours ago, The_People1 said:

IMO that is what the World  Cup should be. The Olympics is for best on best and country pride, the World Cup should be about selling the game. 

On 3/30/2022 at 10:27 AM, robrob74 said:

I could see your point. I think if they decide to go to the Olympics they need to make a commitment to go to every olympic and not pick or choose. I hate the are we going or not debate every time. 

Well worth pointing out that if it weren't for COVID they would have been in Bejing. They are going in 2026 as per the MOU with the PA and the NHL. 

I agree though, although given the term limits on the CBA it's unlikely they could ever get to a point where they always go, but it sure sounds like players want it that way and are willing to sacrifice other aspects of the deal to get it. 

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Stories from Chris Pronger...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this! He was one of my favourite players, and a lot of that had to do with him being able to give a good interview, a straight answer, or a funny quip. An a55h0le to be sure, but full of personality that the league is sorely lacking.

Fun fact: I have a 7' Chris Pronger poster in full Oilers regalia hanging in the pain cave... if that doesn't get ya motivated...

Love.

• Like 1

Doug Wilson San Jose Sharks stepping down - TSN.ca

Hope his health issues aren't too serious.  Have to give credit, to be a Stanley Cup favorite every year for over a decade is not easy in the cap world, had a hard time getting past the conference finals and the wheels started falling off after losing in '16.  I think SJ should've followed in Washington's footsteps when they got rid of McPhee after an off year, SJ should've done the same after they missed the playoffs in '15, although its a hard team to judge as if the 2019 team had any of the previous versions of Martin Jones, perhaps they get over the hump.  Sometimes the worst thing is being close.

Hope he is ok. 

They are in bad shape now but Wilson was one of the best GMs in the league for almost two decades. Through multiple styles and systems he found a way to have a great deal of success and should be remembered for that. I'm not a big  believer that a GM should be held accountable because the team can't get over the hump especially when the "hump" is the conference finals. A break here or there and those teams were easily in the Finals. Winning in the playoffs requires a ton of luck IMO. You could maybe criticize him for not finding THAT goalie to carry them there but that's getting pretty nitpicky IMO. 

Built some pretty incredible teams. 

• Like 1

Wilson was one of the better GMs in the league in the past 20 years but he was too conservative early in his tenure when the Sharks were legit contenders and only one piece away.  Then after this core was on their last legs, he finally started trading picks and prospects to go for it.  The Karlsson signing was really a desperate reach to keep the team at the top but was a big miss.  And here we are, the Sharks need to blow it up and rebuild but they've committed big money and term to Couture (33), Burns (37), Vlassic (35), Karlsson (31), and now Hertl at (28).  These guys are signed until 39/40-years old... Geez.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Wilson was one of the better GMs in the league in the past 20 years but he was too conservative early in his tenure when the Sharks were legit contenders and only one piece away.  Then after this core was on their last legs, he finally started trading picks and prospects to go for it.  The Karlsson signing was really a desperate reach to keep the team at the top but was a big miss.  And here we are, the Sharks need to blow it up and rebuild but they've committed big money and term to Couture (33), Burns (37), Vlassic (35), Karlsson (31), and now Hertl at (28).  These guys are signed until 39/40-years old... Geez.

I wouldn't say too conservative he got Thornton in his 2nd full season on the job, got Campbell as a rental, Heatley and Burns, he landed a lot of big names.  The problem with the Karlsson acquisition is the season they got him was the season Jones started his downward trend, and now they can't get more than 70 games out of Karlsson.  It's a bad contract for sure, but had he hit the open market he'd still be in that range for a cap hit.  It's funny his issues may have been in net for most of his tenure and he traded a franchise goalie his first year, still can't fault him there as Ron Wilson wasn't playing him.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I wouldn't say too conservative he got Thornton in his 2nd full season on the job, got Campbell as a rental, Heatley and Burns, he landed a lot of big names.  The problem with the Karlsson acquisition is the season they got him was the season Jones started his downward trend, and now they can't get more than 70 games out of Karlsson.  It's a bad contract for sure, but had he hit the open market he'd still be in that range for a cap hit.  It's funny his issues may have been in net for most of his tenure and he traded a franchise goalie his first year, still can't fault him there as Ron Wilson wasn't playing him.

Well the Sharks only became a contender after they got Thornton... and then was always missing one more piece.  In some cases, they just sat back and allowed others to load up on TDL while they wouldn't pay the price.  What I'm getting at in general is Wilson managed the team for longevity refusing to go all in... only to start going all in after his core aged out of prime.

Still, they got close in 2016... although I would argue they had better teams previous to 2016 that didn't go as far.  The Blackhawks, Ducks, Kings, etc were really tough to beat during the Sharks prime.  Wilson needed to go all in to put the Sharks over the top to beat those guys but either failed or refused to pay the price.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well the Sharks only became a contender after they got Thornton... and then was always missing one more piece.  In some cases, they just sat back and allowed others to load up on TDL while they wouldn't pay the price.  What I'm getting at in general is Wilson managed the team for longevity refusing to go all in... only to start going all in after his core aged out of prime.

Still, they got close in 2016... although I would argue they had better teams previous to 2016 that didn't go as far.  The Blackhawks, Ducks, Kings, etc were really tough to beat during the Sharks prime.  Wilson needed to go all in to put the Sharks over the top to beat those guys but either failed or refused to pay the price.

Conference finals in '04 before Thornton.  If your constantly in the 1-4 seed in the conference your in a good spot.

During Wilson's went without firsts 5 times, and his own first round picks several times before they played a game for the team (Coyle, Wishart, Norris).  I don't really know what the all-in TDL moves that the Red Wings, Ducks, Blackhawks, or Canucks did.  The teams from '09-'11 especially were pretty stacked.  2009 they win 53 games then come playoffs Nabokov has one of his worst series of his career, 2010 51 wins get to the conference finals and Joe Thornton is held to 1 assist, 2011 48 wins conference finals again big guys produce and Niemi is terrible against the Canucks.  I don't know the team was well constructed IMO, just didn't put it all together when it mattered most.  They are kinda like the '90's Bills a really good team that just found ways to beat themselves in the most important times, don't know if I'd say there was always a missing piece, the pieces were there just didn't put it all together when it mattered and that's sports.

32 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Conference finals in '04 before Thornton.  If your constantly in the 1-4 seed in the conference your in a good spot.

During Wilson's went without firsts 5 times, and his own first round picks several times before they played a game for the team (Coyle, Wishart, Norris).  I don't really know what the all-in TDL moves that the Red Wings, Ducks, Blackhawks, or Canucks did.  The teams from '09-'11 especially were pretty stacked.  2009 they win 53 games then come playoffs Nabokov has one of his worst series of his career, 2010 51 wins get to the conference finals and Joe Thornton is held to 1 assist, 2011 48 wins conference finals again big guys produce and Niemi is terrible against the Canucks.  I don't know the team was well constructed IMO, just didn't put it all together when it mattered most.  They are kinda like the '90's Bills a really good team that just found ways to beat themselves in the most important times, don't know if I'd say there was always a missing piece, the pieces were there just didn't put it all together when it mattered and that's sports.

I think the Bills is an excellent example.  They were so good for so long but just never the best.  That's the Sharks.  They are a good team but never the best team.

23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well here comes the Canucks with 6-straight wins.  1-point back of VGK with 1-game in hand.  4-points back of LAK with 1-game in hand.

LAK is slipping... Although they have an easy schedule.  VAN could go 5-1-0 and hit 96-points.  It's going to get interesting.

I hope we get this version of the Stars and not the ones that always seem to won the Oilers.

I haven't checked the permutations and combinations but it's possible for LA to hit 100, Nucks 96 and Oilers stuck at 94.  That could actuall result in the Oilers being eliminated.  Pretty hard for them to fail that hard this late, but it's possible.  The final game for both EDM and VAN could be a decider for the playoffs.  Or it could be a nothing game for VAN.

If EDM gets in, you will see Smith get the call as the starter.  Doesn't deserve it,and one can expect a repeat of last year or when he was out goalie.  Looks like he'scrushing it, but ultimately loses.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

With Kane's arbitration hearing about his termination from SJ, what are the implications if they rule in his favor?

Does it void his contract with the Oils?

Just asking, since it's weird that it happens this long after he signed.

It's not about going back to the Sharks, it is all about getting as much of what was left on that contract as he can.

13 minutes ago, sak22 said:

It's not about going back to the Sharks, it is all about getting as much of what was left on that contract as he can.

Well, my question was what happens if the voiding of the contract is overturned.  Is that even possible?  If not, then yes it's just about a severence amount coming to him.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:30 PM, travel_dude said:

Well, my question was what happens if the voiding of the contract is overturned.  Is that even possible?  If not, then yes it's just about a severence amount coming to him.

Highly, highly unlikely. Kane wouldn’t have signed so soon if he was in grievance of the contract being voided so enforcing a contract neither side seems to want would be highly unusually.

just about money 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

3 incredible seasons.  Most likely Josi, but what a start to a career for Makar 180 points in 178 games, great to see a local kid amongst the best in the world. 

Tough choices, but two guys leading the league in scoring and goals for their positions is awesome.

Marky, Shesterkin, and Saros are the three for Vezna.  Also three obvious choices.

I see that Johnny not one of the Hart finalists.

Matthews

McDavid

Shesterkin

Yeah, that makes sense.  Eastern bias obviously.  If Shesterkin is an MVP candidate, then so is Markstrom.

Popularity contest among hacks that don't watch anything more than U-tube highlight reels.