Blow It Up?

The_People1

Blow It Up?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What level of "blow it up" would you like to see?

• Level 3 - Everyone from Treliving down must go
    • Level 2 - Most of the core players must go
    • Level 1 - At least one core player must go
    • Level 0 - Minor changes will do

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, rickross said:

This year I actually felt this was one of our easiest paths to the Cup. Dallas and Edmonton stood in our way of the Conference final and we failed. We damn near got swept by the Oilers. Yes I know the games were close but we still lost the series 4-1. Not even close!

Dallas took us to the brink..we lost Taney in that series and needed some magic from JH to win it in OT game 7. I don’t see us having a path as “easy” as this again, Vegas will be back , Canuck’s will be better and the Kings should  be in the mix again. This year was one of our best chances in ages, we likely wouldn’t have got past the Avs but we should not have lost to the Oilers, not in the fashion we did Atleast. 

DAL. more specifically Otter, took us to the brink as well as Tkachuk and Ras decided we needed to be toughies.  Raffl shut up Tkachuk pretty quick.  The idea is that playing the Preds doesn't burn out our goalie and result in 2 defense having significant injuries, not to mention the un-reported ones (Tkachuk and Kylington).  

We were the better team between us and the Oils.  Not the same team that showed up broken.  Even so, we still outplayed them in 3 of 5 games.  Some putrid PP's and lack of details derailed us.  Once you go down 3-1, it's game over.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

DAL. more specifically Otter, took us to the brink as well as Tkachuk and Ras decided we needed to be toughies.  Raffl shut up Tkachuk pretty quick.  The idea is that playing the Preds doesn't burn out our goalie and result in 2 defense having significant injuries, not to mention the un-reported ones (Tkachuk and Kylington).  

We were the better team between us and the Oils.  Not the same team that showed up broken.  Even so, we still outplayed them in 3 of 5 games.  Some putrid PP's and lack of details derailed us.  Once you go down 3-1, it's game over.

NYR have entered the chat.

On 7/22/2022 at 8:47 AM, travel_dude said:

1) Valimaki didn't respond well to Sutter; the reality is that some players don't like that coaching style.  He could get better like Kylington did, but it's his problem to get there.  Zary was injured (concussion) but he showed being a smart player.  Pelletier is a Mangiapane level player that can pass.  He is easily our best prospect and just needs the right intro to NHL.  Coronato is a player that has a spot waiting for him on the Flames.  He's not going to drop out of Harvard to play in the AHL.  I don't have concerns with him, as he's not a spoiled player.  

2) Canada is Canada.  Alberta has a problem with sports writers talking about anything here because they don't stay up late.  Nobody wants to go to California now, unless they want that lifestyle (2 hour drive to get milk, land of fake people).

3) The dome does suck.  

4) Our best player was constantly complained about when he didn't score.  Fans shoveled his driveway.  Johnny hate the media and living in the spotlight.  He just wants to play hockey.  He didn't like being stuck in a place for two years with little contact with his family, and playing in a bubble.  He's a family guy.  Tkachuk is also big on family. 

The arena is a big problem.  It needs to be resolved.  We don't just have one owner like EDM and the city council is not about to just throw cash at the team to get them to build something.  EDM is an embarrassment to city councils everywhere.    

In terms of Coronato..is he the next us college player we need to keep tabs on?  How does that work .he went to college after he was drafted ..but now hes in Harvard..so does the 4 year rule apply to him now ?

13 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

In terms of Coronato..is he the next us college player we need to keep tabs on?  How does that work .he went to college after he was drafted ..but now hes in Harvard..so does the 4 year rule apply to him now ?

He falls into the same boat as Johnny, except that we would get a compensatory pick if he waited to be a FA and signed elsewhere.  That's due to him being a 1st rounder.  I believe it's 4 years, since that's the duration of a degree.  

He's not the only guy going to college but the only 1st rounder.

19 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I don't expect him to go the full 4 years, my thinking is he'll turn pro next year.  The unfortunate thing is his first exposure to Calgary was during Johnny leaving, so I think the worst thing was having to hear with the "Calgary sucks to live in, Americans hate playing in Canada, Canadian teams shouldn't draft Americans" bs on your first trip to the city.  If only they could've had the prospect camp this week.

33 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't expect him to go the full 4 years, my thinking is he'll turn pro next year.  The unfortunate thing is his first exposure to Calgary was during Johnny leaving, so I think the worst thing was having to hear with the "Calgary sucks to live in, Americans hate playing in Canada, Canadian teams shouldn't draft Americans" bs on your first trip to the city.  If only they could've had the prospect camp this week.

I think, if anything, he will be more excited.  An elite playmaker is one thing.

An elite playmaker that could be a captain and you get to play with him?

Besides, he is his own man.

Will be in Alberta for the World Juniors, so he will get visited by team staff.

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, rickross said:

So..we’re 10 games in and are pretty much a .500 team riding a losing streak at the moment. 10 games in seems like a really good time to panic lol…how are we feeling about the 2022-2023 Flames thus far?

I thought for sure it was JJ resurrecting this thread 😅 sorry JJ 🫣

Let’s look at this objectively. Do we want the flames to win? Of course we do. Did they mesmerize us with their hot start? Of course they did. And unfortunately we may all have elevated our expectations to an unreasonable level for a team that just turned over 2/3 of their top line - and in so doing - had to re-jig every single forward line from the combinations we had last year. Add to that, we have a new D-man and those pairings have all changed…

Just remember - before the season started we all mostly agreed that this team is going to need a few months to gel. So Give them that. 

GFG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

Let’s look at this objectively. Do we want the flames to win? Of course we do. Did they mesmerize us with their hot start? Of course they did. And unfortunately we may all have elevated our expectations to an unreasonable level for a team that just turned over 2/3 of their top line - and in so doing - had to re-jig every single forward line from the combinations we had last year. Add to that, we have a new D-man and those pairings have all changed…

Just remember - before the season started we all mostly agreed that this team is going to need a few months to gel. So Give them that. 

GFG

this is well said. I think before the season staged no one would have batted an eye about a 5-4-1 record at this point. I bet 80% or more would have taken it. 

Losing the forest through the trees right now for this fan base imo. 

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

GFG

We had the best start to the seaon in franchise history and got over the opening game loss issue.

We have lost games to capable teams and it's a new season.

Have to re-learn the way we need to battle through games to win in the end.

Getting behind isn't new.

Being able to battle back is a good sign.

Losing with a lead wasn't a good look, but whatever.

We've been playing the 7th D for every game.

And now we played the 8th D and had to play a game with 5D.

Zaddy has been the best story so far.

That and Markstrom looking solid instead of having to get set.

Two of the biggest concerns.

Fitting in a star player from a completely different system is always tough.

Has to dig in to get to his normal level.

Has to figure out how to use his skillset on this team and where he wants players to be.

And they need to talk about it.

The road trip will be good, not because they are stale, but because they can focus on hockey.

All they will do is some practice, talk and go play.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We had the best start to the seaon in franchise history and got over the opening game loss issue.

We have lost games to capable teams and it's a new season.

Have to re-learn the way we need to battle through games to win in the end.

Getting behind isn't new.

Being able to battle back is a good sign.

Losing with a lead wasn't a good look, but whatever.

We've been playing the 7th D for every game.

And now we played the 8th D and had to play a game with 5D.

Zaddy has been the best story so far.

That and Markstrom looking solid instead of having to get set.

Two of the biggest concerns.

Fitting in a star player from a completely different system is always tough.

Has to dig in to get to his normal level.

Has to figure out how to use his skillset on this team and where he wants players to be.

And they need to talk about it.

The road trip will be good, not because they are stale, but because they can focus on hockey.

All they will do is some practice, talk and go play.

I think the road trip can be good for team bonding/building. It was what I thought was needed and was why I was surprised at the early record up until the start of the losing streak. 

being many new faces I think they could use a new community. They need to learn how to play for each other. 

my biggest worry the last few years has been outside of the top line and the Backlund lines (half the time). I thought getting Kadri might have helped that but it's still a work in progress but I'm still a touch hesitant with the group dynamic. 

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

good hustle out there tonight guys

this reminds me of the year we barely missed the playoffs and it was said that if the flames only had 3 more points, or something... or had goaltending... etc. 

the efforts are horrible. I think the flames are lucky to be in the position they're in.

Although, maybe I'm exaggerating? 

Just now, robrob74 said:

this reminds me of the year we barely missed the playoffs and it was said that if the flames only had 3 more points, or something... or had goaltending... etc. 

the efforts are horrible. I think the flames are lucky to be in the position they're in.

Although, maybe I'm exaggerating? 

Pretty sure at least one of us just exaggerated

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We are only 6-points behind the division leader.  We can win the division.  We can do this.

not really, cause most teams have 1 or 2 games in hand on Cgy, so reality is 8-10 pts out and this team is winning 1 loosing 2 or winning 2 sometimes 3 but then loose 2…

that track record is not gonna keep pace with the division leaders let alone close any sort of gap in the Standings.

chemistry of the team is just not quite right.

• Like 1

Why not “blow it up?”…atleast try something different. This thread keeps getting bumped for a reason. This team isn’t the one and we all know that by now. We’ve become so complacent with the mediocrity of this team over the years. It is not working here, that has to be clear by now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickross said:

Why not “blow it up?”…atleast try something different. This thread keeps getting bumped for a reason. This team isn’t the one and we all know that by now. We’ve become so complacent with the mediocrity of this team over the years. It is not working here, that has to be clear by now. 

Everybody here knows what's coming, deep down, but it seems the consensus is that we should remain positive and cheer the team on, which, I get, okay.    It's true, I usually try to hold most of my complaints back for the off-season, and even I have a no-complaining rule during playoffs.

this thread will sink down again, @Heartbreaker just made a wisecrack joke after one epic bad game.   Even I'm going to admit they aren't that bad on a regular basis and we shouldn't  be changing our opinions based on one game.

But yeah... all the same,

It's coming.   And when it comes, I actually think all of the regulars here will be supportive.  Including myself.

I'm cool with remaining positive during hockey season until then.   What I'm NOT cool with is giving up more draft picks at the trade deadline.  That's...too far from reality.

21 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Everybody here knows what's coming, deep down, but it seems the consensus is that we should remain positive and cheer the team on, which, I get, okay.    It's true, I usually try to hold most of my complaints back for the off-season, and even I have a no-complaining rule during playoffs.

this thread will sink down again, @Heartbreaker just made a wisecrack joke after one epic bad game.   Even I'm going to admin they aren't that bad on a regular basis and we shouldn't  be changing our opinions based on one game.

But yeah... all the same,

It's coming.   And when it comes, I actually think all of the regulars here will be supportive.  Including myself.

I'm cool with remaining positive during hockey season until then.   What I'm NOT cool with is giving up more draft picks at the trade deadline.  That's...too far from reality.

There are many ways to blow it up or at least change the direction.

Giving up picks and prospects makes some sense if it's a future star.

Would you not have offered a higher pick for Necas?

Or some other piece we could really use?

The number of teams that blow it up and improve is almost zero.

The number that tank and blow it up, and are successful, well we can maybe say one or two.