Treliving-Flames mutually part ways. Maloney POHO/interim GM and search on for new GM

cross16

47 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But how though.  Are the Flames worth like $500-million?

image.png

Reynolds is part of a business group that had interest in the Sens. Seems to be a fairly astute businessman but most likely would only have been a face to the organization. Which isnt bad as most of the stuff he's involved in turns a profit. Another group that includes Snoop Dogg is apparently also interested in the Sens, again another celeb that seems to be smart on the business ends of things.

21 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Reynolds is part of a business group that had interest in the Sens. Seems to be a fairly astute businessman but most likely would only have been a face to the organization. Which isnt bad as most of the stuff he's involved in turns a profit. Another group that includes Snoop Dogg is apparently also interested in the Sens, again another celeb that seems to be smart on the business ends of things.

And another group involving The Weeknd, wonder if he'll drag Drake along. Both from Toronto.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2023/05/08/the-weeknd-joins-group-in-bid-buy-the-ottawa-senators-report.html

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Sad Jim Carrey GIF

I don't think it's actually realistic. I see PIT as a more plausible landing spot. I think Pens ownership is more willing to shell out big money than the Flames.

Not sure which is the better job though, Calgary or Pittsburgh. I might lean to Calgary because the next GM in Pittsburgh is likely gonna have to be the guy to trade a Crosby/Malkin/Letang. Good luck winning that trade. Very thin prospect pool.

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't think it's actually realistic. I see PIT as a more plausible landing spot. I think Pens ownership is more willing to shell out big money than the Flames.

Not sure which is the better job though, Calgary or Pittsburgh. I might lean to Calgary because the next GM in Pittsburgh is likely gonna have to be the guy to trade a Crosby/Malkin/Letang. Good luck winning that trade. Very thin prospect pool.

At least pitsburgh might be ok with trading those guys. We wouldn't be. I'd choose the pens.

17 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Sad Jim Carrey GIF

Kerins played for the Soo.lol It's insane how Dubas' crutch is his small market hometown heroes.

Let Pitt have him. Hire Hunter. The Knights are the premiere CHL team ever since Mark, Dale and Basil McRae purchased the team. They just don't have down years like every other CHL franchise does. They know how to find talent and retain talent. Perfect for us. He can transfer the team to Dale if required and we'd have the NHL factory at our disposal.

Plus the Hunter farming operation in Oil Springs is a massive affair. Not Sutter massive, but much more fertile. He'd fit right in.

I remember Dale answering the, "how do you like coaching Ovechkin" question. He'd like it more if he'd get off of the ice when he's supposed to. I belly laughed, yup, that's a Hunter answer.lol

I know them okay, but mainly from my uncle, cousin and oldest bro. I hate the Knights.lol I'm jealous.

edit

Just to expound:

ex-Flames - check

Successful background - check

Agriculture identity - check

Oil & Gas identity - check, the region is Canada's first oil strike, hence he's from Oil Springs, where pumpjacks are actually kind of cute like you'd never think. Waist tall, some just little pumps with fishing line.

It seems like a perfect storm to fix the Flames.

Here's a deep dive on Stan Bowman. 

He was handed the keys to a Ferrari in Chicago. The core of that team was there before he became GM. All he had to

do was not "crash it". It can be argued he crashed it, knowing what happened in 2010.

Trade History- there are a lot of trades to go through with Bowman. It's pretty clear when looking at the list, CHI lost most of these trades. Here's a list of five that really stuck out to me. And to be fair, he did make some good trades too, but the bad ones stick out a lot more.

1. The Seth Jones trade. It was weird at the time and it still is. Jones is a good player, but Chicago wasn't in a spot to give up those types of assets. It stunk of a GM trying to save his job.

2. The 2nd Brandon Saad trade. Bowman originally sent Saad to CBJ in 2015. In 2017 he wanted Saad back, issue being he sent CBJ Artemi Panarin.

3. Philip Danault and a 2nd round pick to MTL for Thomas Fleischmann and Dale Weiss. That 2nd turned into Alex Romanov.

4. Bryan Bickell and Teuvo Teravainen to CAR for a 2nd and 3rd. To be fair, CHI had to dump cap and it's never cheap. Unfortunately, it cost them one of their best young players. Neither pick CHI got has amounted to anything as of now.

5. Nick Schmaltz for Brendan Perlini and Dylan Strome. Strome put up some decent point totals for the Hawks. Issue with this deal is that CHI spent years trying to move Strome. An admittance that it didn't quite work as they had hoped.

Draft- The drafts under Bowman were fine. Nothing too exciting, again, that's expected when you're in charge of a team that won 3 cups.

Two top 10 picks

Dach and Boqvist. Neither is with the Hawks anymore, one traded by Stan, the other by Davidson.

Rest of the 1st round

Some nice picks here. Teravainen at 18th. Danault at 26th. Kevin Hayes 24th. Didn't sign with them though, believe it or not "Adam Fox" situations can happen to other teams too... Ryan Hartman 30th, didn't find his game with them but still a good pick. 

Not going to count the picks of Reichel or Allan because it's too early, but from 2011-2019 the Hawks got NHLers out of 8 of 10 picks. Two "busts" would be McNeil in 2011 and right now Beaudin from 2018, but that could change.

They found two steals in the 2nd round of the draft. Debrincat and Shaw.

With the draft, after the first couple, maybe even three rounds, I give the credit to the scouts. The GM usually has watched the kids in the top 100, not so much when it's a kid playing a lower level in Sweden. 

End it off signings

The two big blunders were the Seabrook and Bickell deals.

I'd be more willing to give him a pass on Seabrook. That's a legacy player that you won with. Didn't quite cost as much to unload him as expected.

Bickell was a mistake. Was a good player for them but one that is replacable. Cost them Teravainen. That's what differentiates a Tampa and Chicago. The Lightning haven't paid the players similar to Bickell, Coleman/Goodrow.

Bowman was able to sign Duncan Keith to a ridiculous contract though, which was a massive win for that franchise. 13 years, 5.5AAV. Keith was underpaid his entire career.

In closing, there are better candidates out there than Stan Bowman. For me, the two biggest issues are obviously the covered up scandal, Then it's the trade history. there were a lot of misevaluations of players under his watch in Chicago. Is he the man you want facilitating a Lindholm or Hanifin deal if your'e the Flames?  The drafting looks like it would be about the same to where it was under BT.

End it off with signings.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2023 at 3:35 PM, conundrumed said:

Kerins played for the Soo.lol It's insane how Dubas' crutch is his small market hometown heroes.

Let Pitt have him. Hire Hunter. The Knights are the premiere CHL team ever since Mark, Dale and Basil McRae purchased the team. They just don't have down years like every other CHL franchise does. They know how to find talent and retain talent. Perfect for us. He can transfer the team to Dale if required and we'd have the NHL factory at our disposal.

Plus the Hunter farming operation in Oil Springs is a massive affair. Not Sutter massive, but much more fertile. He'd fit right in.

I remember Dale answering the, "how do you like coaching Ovechkin" question. He'd like it more if he'd get off of the ice when he's supposed to. I belly laughed, yup, that's a Hunter answer.lol

I know them okay, but mainly from my uncle, cousin and oldest bro. I hate the Knights.lol I'm jealous.

edit

Just to expound:

ex-Flames - check

Successful background - check

Agriculture identity - check

Oil & Gas identity - check, the region is Canada's first oil strike, hence he's from Oil Springs, where pumpjacks are actually kind of cute like you'd never think. Waist tall, some just little pumps with fishing line.

It seems like a perfect storm to fix the Flames.

In regards to Hunter, do you see the Leafs replacing Dubas with Hunter this summer?  Would Hunter hold off on taking our job until the Leafs settle their GM/coaching decisions?

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

In regards to Hunter, do you see the Leafs replacing Dubas with Hunter this summer?  Would Hunter hold off on taking our job until the Leafs settle their GM/coaching decisions?

Good question, exactly what I'm wondering. Tulsky is another one no one can talk to until the Canes win the Cup. I have nothing against Conroy, but I think maybe a fresh set of eyes would be nice as opposed to the same set of eyes with all of the same strategies. An outside of the org GM would bring another set of contacts to add to what we have, be it scouting, data-mining, contacts etc. I'm high on Hunter because no one around the league would be saying, "yuck, that's a dicey hire". The Knights still hold the record for worst CHL record ever, then the Hunter's bought them and they are consistently a huge threat. We need that kind of turning around between aging players and a slim pipeline to replace them.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Really interesting name. He's been in charge of Toronto's cap compliance for the last several years and I think it's obvious to any outsider what an outstanding job he's done there. 

Good choice for an interview for sure. 

Sean Burke makes some sense considering his relationship with Maloney in Phoenix. Burke is a guy who always was in the cusp of getting a GM job, but never seemed to get any traction. I have no info to really draw from about his ability as a GM. I do know that the Coyotes were known for turning goalies around when Burke was the goalie coach there, so he would certainly be beneficial for our goalies:

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Really interesting name. He's been in charge of Toronto's cap compliance for the last several years and I think it's obvious to any outsider what an outstanding job he's done there. 

Good choice for an interview for sure. 

Cap navigation is going to be a massive undertaking for this team in the next few years so I would certainly consider that a highly sought after skill. This is the same reason I would look at Mathieu Darche from Tampa, though I am not certain that that was his job.

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Cap navigation is going to be a massive undertaking for this team in the next few years so I would certainly consider that a highly sought after skill. This is the same reason I would look at Mathieu Darche from Tampa, though I am not certain that that was his job.

Yups agreed.  I can't say the Leafs were great at juggling the cap because they've been capped out for years and failed to land a #1 G and complete a good D group.  But still, you look at the mess the Flames are in right now.  We need cap planning to navigate through the next two years or else we could lock up even more bad contracts long term and sink us for the next 7 years.

41 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yups agreed.  I can't say the Leafs were great at juggling the cap because they've been capped out for years and failed to land a #1 G and complete a good D group.  But still, you look at the mess the Flames are in right now.  We need cap planning to navigate through the next two years or else we could lock up even more bad contracts long term and sink us for the next 7 years.

While you can question the contracts they gave, what they've been excellent at is playing with the cap to maximize their roster. Be in LTIR, trades, call ups etc they've done some pretty amazing work to get cap compliant year after year. 

Apparently that's Pridham's primary role in the organization. 

I'd have zero interest in Dubas myself. Contracts he shelled out can barely be considered negotiations. His work at D and G is an atrocity. He had everything he needed at his fingertips and a highly desired market. Anyone can give their big 4 the contracts they want, but what do you do after? A lot of schlock is what it looks like to me, and a coach that can't figure out a consistent lineup to save his life. Every Keefe game is adjusting lines to try to outscore that tragedy going on at D and G. Dubas is so busy collecting forwards that he's completely blind that his only competent dman was excellent before he turned 38. But here's $7.5 x 8 for your dman that plays like a winger.

The commonality of the final 8 teams is looking at their D rosters. Remove Ekholm, and T.O. and Edmonton had the worst D corps. By a lot.

There isn't much for superstars in the final 4. Lots of solid dmen though.

I don't want Dubas at all. The approach sucks. This is what building a team from forwards down looks like. A lot like Edmonton. At least Edmonton has the excuse that it's hard to entice players to play there.

• Like 1