Treliving-Flames mutually part ways. Maloney POHO/interim GM and search on for new GM

cross16

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Why do I feel like our horrendous karma means FLA = 23 Cup champs, TML = 24 Cup champs?

Sutter's "unfinished business" took the wrong fork in the road to the Blockchain around highway that leads to the perpetual city of find out?

So BT didn't like the meddling by ownership here and didn't get enough autonomy.  Boy, he's going to find out in Leafsland.

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So BT didn't like the meddling by ownership here and didn't get enough autonomy.  Boy, he's going to find out in Leafsland.

Isn't Shanny the go-between?  But autonomy in the Center of the Universe doesn't exist.  At least he could fire coaches there every 6-12 months.  At this point I think Leaf fans would love to see Marner traded.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Isn't Shanny the go-between?  But autonomy in the Center of the Universe doesn't exist.  At least he could fire coaches there every 6-12 months.  At this point I think Leaf fans would love to see Marner traded.

Shanahan is the real GM

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

There was a rumoured deal where the Leafs would have spent a few 1st rounders for Fleury a couple of years ago and Shannahan didn't ok the deal. I get their achilles has been goaltending, but I thought that price was too steep, and Fleury was starting to be at the end of his career. Did he still have a run in him? Maybe. 

I think if something seems outrages, it should be nixed. 

If ownership was more involved, or if it were today, would they allow the Gilmour deal now? I mean, I guess it's hindsight, but how many of us were gutted when it happened?

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

There's a massive difference in working in partnership with Shanahan vs owners that hire their goldenboy coach.

• Like 2

FWIW, Friedman threw some cold water on the reports that Shannan is really pulling the strings there. In particular he was told that the rumor that Shanny nixed the potential Knives deal was bogus and that the Leafs apparently laughed at the prospect that they would give up that type of return for what they were getting. 

No question Shanahan has a say, as he should, but from what I understand it's no where near what Treliving was dealing with here (which was ALOT from what I understand). 

Guess we'll find out 

53 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's official. 

Kadri to Leafs for TJ Brodie, let's go!  Get on the phone Conroy!

Hanifin for Nylander.

Brodie seems to me to be part of the problem in TO.

He's a better player than Tanev, but I don't think he sacrifices as much to win a game.

I always remember him chuckling on the bench after a particularly bad play resulting in a goal.

That was here I was talking about.

Kadri might be a player TO is interested in, but I somehow think they don't see him as a solution.

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hanifin for Nylander.

He's a better player than Tanev, but I don't think he sacrifices as much to win a game.

I always remember him chuckling on the bench after a particularly bad play resulting in a goal.

Kadri might be a player TO is interested in, but I somehow think they don't see him as a solution.

BT thinks the world of Kadri and that's all that matters.  Tavares can't really play Center anymore so Kadri centering Tavares is what they would want to do.

44 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hanifin for Nylander.

BT won't be going out of his way to do Calgary any big favors ..  but he does now have a team that needs defense and goaltending... 

I could see a deal involving Vladar and Hanifin for Nylander in a 2 way sign and trade ..

I'd expect him to demand Coronato in a deal but we better not give it to him 

Ps.. too many to post but TO fans are absolutely roasting this hire lol..

30 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

BT won't be going out of his way to do Calgary any big favors ..  but he does now have a team that needs defense and goaltending... 

I could see a deal involving Vladar and Hanifin for Nylander in a 2 way sign and trade ..

I'd expect him to demand Coronato in a deal but we better not give it to him 

Ps.. too many to post but TO fans are absolutely roasting this hire lol..

They undervalue everything Flames so it's no wonder.

I doubt they blame the coach for results, just that he didn't play Matthews on a certain shift.

BT will make deals all day long with Connie.

He values his contacts, hence why we dealt with ARI so much.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They undervalue everything Flames so it's no wonder.

I doubt they blame the coach for results, just that he didn't play Matthews on a certain shift.

BT will make deals all day long with Connie.

He values his contacts, hence why we dealt with ARI so much.

Just so long as history doesn't repeat itself the last time a gm walked away from Calgary to be Toronto gm and immediately fleeced the rookie gm (ex Asst GM even) that took his place lol

Right now we are in a pinch if our top players play like they did last yr we will be looking at another 7 yrs of mediocracy and perhaps 6-16 over all picks since we never will pick first over all unless of course there are no wonder players

4 minutes ago, zima said:

Right now we are in a pinch if our top players play like they did last yr we will be looking at another 7 yrs of mediocracy and perhaps 6-16 over all picks since we never will pick first over all unless of course there are no wonder players

I'm of the opinion that many are overreacting to last season's bad performance as much as we overreacted to how good we were the season of the comeback kids ..

Huberdeau did not lose his talent ..markstrom did not forget how to play goal..

To me it's as simple as an inability (or maybe refusal) of a team not adapting to the style they were being told to play..

My big hope..is we get a coach that lets players play to their strengths... Hubie is an elite offensive playmaker ..but he's not a checker .. he needs to be surrounded by team defense and allows to do his thing . Same goes for other players and their strengths ..

No different than draisaitl and to a large extent Connor in Edmonton.. both are statistically brutal defense players .. but that's not their job..  be responsible yes , but not to the extent you stifle the skillset they bring 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm of the opinion that many are overreacting to last season's bad performance as much as we overreacted to how good we were the season of the comeback kids ..

Huberdeau did not lose his talent ..markstrom did not forget how to play goal..

To me it's as simple as an inability (or maybe refusal) of a team not adapting to the style they were being told to play..

My big hope..is we get a coach that lets players play to their strengths... Hubie is an elite offensive playmaker ..but he's not a checker .. he needs to be surrounded by team defense and allows to do his thing . Same goes for other players and their strengths ..

No different than draisaitl and to a large extent Connor in Edmonton.. both are statistically brutal defense players .. but that's not their job..  be responsible yes , but not to the extent you stifle the skillset they bring 

Fair.

I think there is something to be said about all of the returning players.

We saw players that came off career years to have meh seasons.

And players that had career years this past season.

There is some disconnect where only some did well.

Yes, I think coaching set up this situation.

He alienated some and pushed others.