Treliving-Flames mutually part ways. Maloney POHO/interim GM and search on for new GM

cross16

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

As I mentioned earlier. Find it very interesting this approach changes right after the Leafs news....

This one I believe.  They can still say he can't run the draft at a new place.

Maybe this is a two way street.

We get the A/GM from them, they get our old GM.

Much better prospect than Bowman or Nonis or Bergevin.  Blech.

15 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I am not the biggest fan of Dubas, nor do I think he is a terrible GM. I doubt he comes here as well. That being said I wouldn’t be surprised if Maloney at least tries to reach out to him to see where he is at or at the very least to gather information.

I wouldn't be interested personally. He started in with a lot of "genius" pomp and ceremony. Left with pomp and ceremony. "Smartest guy in the room" hockey people always only turn out to be the most annoying guy in the room. What was with the overbearing SSM connection? It's not like SSM is fire in the CHL or ever has been.

That Matt Murray trade is amongst the dumbest and most non-sensical I've ever seen. Ottawa must have been pinching themselves only retaining 25% for a 3rd and 7th pick on a horrible contract. That's an ARI-level deal, but they'd have gotten more.

A 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th for O'Reilly and Acciari? That's 2 4th liners as O'Reilly's effectiveness for St. Loo was truly over.

Some of the things Leafs fans celebrate as answers really leave you wondering what the question was.

I was listening to the 32 thoughts podcast with ellioette friedman now he was Saying if Calgary is gonna hire a Gm other the Craig Conroy They Better have basically a darn good Reason cause if you Decline Conroy you take the chances of him leaving and ifyour Wanting to Get Jerome Iginla a position within the organization Haveing Conroy as the gm Is the right way to go

45 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

I was listening to the 32 thoughts podcast with ellioette friedman now he was Saying if Calgary is gonna hire a Gm other the Craig Conroy They Better have basically a darn good Reason cause if you Decline Conroy you take the chances of him leaving and ifyour Wanting to Get Jerome Iginla a position within the organization Haveing Conroy as the gm Is the right way to go

I love Conroy but will have to humbly disagree. Do I think he could do the job sure, but IMHO this organization should be cleansed from top to bottom. Change has to begin with change not rinse and repeat. AS Conroy has been a staple he also has been part of the problem this organization has created, all you are doing is now placing the same puppet in place that left. Many here praise Tre for what he did, but for me this club is in the situation it's in because of his decision. Blame the coach all you want, but this club and culture are 100% that of what Trevling designed and left us with. You have underachieving overpaid self-indulging players that now have free reign of the organization and don't have anything or any form of accountability. 

If Conroy isn't hired I expect him to leave and have no issues with that. I am sorry but we need a fresh start. It hasn't worked and the new person coming in has inherited a fricking mess. For me, the best hire would be Hunter, hands down. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I love Conroy but will have to humbly disagree. Do I think he could do the job sure, but IMHO this organization should be cleansed from top to bottom. Change has to begin with change not rinse and repeat. AS Conroy has been a staple he also has been part of the problem this organization has created, all you are doing is now placing the same puppet in place that left. Many here praise Tre for what he did, but for me this club is in the situation it's in because of his decision. Blame the coach all you want, but this club and culture are 100% that of what Trevling designed and left us with. You have underachieving overpaid self-indulging players that now have free reign of the organization and don't have anything or any form of accountability. 

If Conroy isn't hired I expect him to leave and have no issues with that. I am sorry but we need a fresh start. It hasn't worked and the new person coming in has inherited a fricking mess. For me, the best hire would be Hunter, hands down. 

agree with most of this.

36 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The bolded is BS.  

I don't want Conroy, even if Iggy is likely to join the organization.  He's very much an understudy of BT, so if we are looking to go a different direction, he is the wrong choice.  I would welcome Dubas over him, and I really don't want Dubas.  Conroy is too much of a players GM, so I don't think he has the business toughness to succeed.

The coach couldn't do anything with the players he got, but the GM was getting the players that he wanted.  Jarnkrok may have been the right player but the wrong coach.  Didn't fit the way the lines were set.  Or maybe the game style.  I don't think the Leafs are a shining example of good GM and coach, since they are built backwards like the Oilers.  They are built for offense.  We are perhaps built better, but lack players that can play on a 2-1 team.  We don't have the goalies to do it.  We didn't have the 4th line to roll 4.  A 2-1 team has to be built around superior goaltending and solid defense.

All this to say that we got rid of one of the problems.  Now we need the GM to bring in a progressive coach and make the serious roster decisions.  We lost a year of prospect NHL development when we needed to find the next ones.  We kept together a group that was failing to get the job done, with some of the pieces on expiring deals.  We neither went for it nor sold it off.  16th is about as mediocre as you can get.

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The bolded is BS.  

I don't want Conroy, even if Iggy is likely to join the organization.  He's very much an understudy of BT, so if we are looking to go a different direction, he is the wrong choice.  I would welcome Dubas over him, and I really don't want Dubas.  Conroy is too much of a players GM, so I don't think he has the business toughness to succeed.

The coach couldn't do anything with the players he got, but the GM was getting the players that he wanted.  Jarnkrok may have been the right player but the wrong coach.  Didn't fit the way the lines were set.  Or maybe the game style.  I don't think the Leafs are a shining example of good GM and coach, since they are built backwards like the Oilers.  They are built for offense.  We are perhaps built better, but lack players that can play on a 2-1 team.  We don't have the goalies to do it.  We didn't have the 4th line to roll 4.  A 2-1 team has to be built around superior goaltending and solid defense.

All this to say that we got rid of one of the problems.  Now we need the GM to bring in a progressive coach and make the serious roster decisions.  We lost a year of prospect NHL development when we needed to find the next ones.  We kept together a group that was failing to get the job done, with some of the pieces on expiring deals.  We neither went for it nor sold it off.  16th is about as mediocre as you can get.

Only this part is responding to you:

I would never say we are built better than teams that consistently make the playoffs. Hell, I'd venture to say we are closer to Edmonton but we have no bragging rights over them as they seem to consistently make it and have been out of the first round more than us. I think the only thing we can brag about is that we've not been as bad as them so much that we haven't been in a position to get 1st overall. We suck at sucking! 

We seem to go one year in and one out, two in and one out... good teams are an every year team and they're also teams that can deal with playing with higher expectations. If a good team can't deal with high expectations, they are not a good team. 

This is to support what you're saying and to further the point I didn't agree with about the team's culture:

I think I'm ok with calling out a culture in the team, I'm not ok with calling them out because they called out their coach who consistently called them out all year. Why can it only be one way? Coach deserves criticism too. If they're not allowed to call out the coach then the coach sure as hell shouldn't Be calling them out. 

3 hours ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

If we hire a GM from the outside then there's a good chance they have people they want to bring in to work with.  For example if we hire Stan Bowman, he might clean house and bring in his own assistant GMs, scouting, coaching, etc.  So, even if Conroy doesn't leave under his own power, he may be asked to leave.  And yes, I would leave if I was Conroy.

13 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Unfortunately, it may need to be cleansed from ownership downward.  So please, if you can raise $650-million to buy this team from Murray Edwards, then do so and save us.

And I mean, I agree with you.  Conroy is qualified to do the job but he signals a continuation of what we've been doing which is going in the wrong direction.

kay I'm gonna say it,

I'm not really invested in this argument as doesn't matter any more.   BT martyred himself and now we love him even more, I get it, and I also get that we have an owner problem.

But I don't really see how anyone can watch what's happening in the playoffs right now  with the Florida Flames and think "yeah BT was great, he nailed it".

Just saying.   For sure I understand the owner meddling but some of these moves were just braindead. sorry.  called them that at the time, and before they were "necessary".. they looked bad then and look bad now.  Hindsight, whatever, sure.  But man ....i don't see his moves aging well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Only this part is responding to you:

I would never say we are built better than teams that consistently make the playoffs. Hell, I'd venture to say we are closer to Edmonton but we have no bragging rights over them as they seem to consistently make it and have been out of the first round more than us. I think the only thing we can brag about is that we've not been as bad as them so much that we haven't been in a position to get 1st overall. We suck at sucking! 

We seem to go one year in and one out, two in and one out... good teams are an every year team and they're also teams that can deal with playing with higher expectations. If a good team can't deal with high expectations, they are not a good team. 

This is to support what you're saying and to further the point I didn't agree with about the team's culture:

I think I'm ok with calling out a culture in the team, I'm not ok with calling them out because they called out their coach who consistently called them out all year. Why can it only be one way? Coach deserves criticism too. If they're not allowed to call out the coach then the coach sure as hell shouldn't Be calling them out. 

Starting backwards.  I think the culture improved since Gio left.  There I said it.  Maybe not directly related to him, just the timing.  We had Brodie and Hammy that used to laugh when they got to the bench after a dumb play.  We had guys skating off the ice when Tkachuk was fueding with the Kings.  What the heck?  What kind of team is that, whether you agree with him or not.  Gaudreau gets chopped down by Staal and nobody does dick about it.  Broken finger after the 21 hack salute.  That was the culture.  

If anything, guys like Kadri are like Tkachuk was then.  A bit over the top.  Getting so wound up with frustration, they go a little nuts.  The team backed him up when Trouba blindsided him.  Kucic didn't fight much, but others stood up.  They were tight, even if the coach was in a different head space.

The west is a different beast for playoff making.  You have teams that cycle up and down each year.  Vegas was good this year and was broken last year.  EDM was near the top this year and meh last year.  Seattle was poor last year and good this year.  AVS were all over the map.  Dallas was good but easier to beat.  Ducks only played good as a spoiler.  In other words, I would suggest there are very few actual contenders that stay that way every year in the west.  A stud goalie one year and back to just okay the next.  We suffered the same fate.  

I think this is what we should expect but Dreger the first to say it definitively. 

random thought… Dreger is connected to Dave Nonis who has been rumored to be part of this process. Does that means Nonis is the addition? Perhaps as AGM. 
suspect we’ll find out soon. 

This is exciting.

Conroy is an excellent person. He’s put in the work as an AGM and is very deserving. He’s a Calgary Flame and this means a lot to him. He’s going to do a good job.

I wonder about Pascall though. It happened in Toronto with Hunter, I wonder if he looks to move on. Would be a bummer as he’s done a really good job for the Flames.

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is exciting.

Conroy is an excellent person. He’s put in the work as an AGM and is very deserving. He’s a Calgary Flame and this means a lot to him. He’s going to do a good job.

I wonder about Pascall though. It happened in Toronto with Hunter, I wonder if he looks to move on. Would be a bummer as he’s done a really good job for the Flames.

Conroy is really deserving I agree. I’ll be interested to see if, and by how much, he differs from Treliving. 

I’ll be honest though I don’t get the love for Brad Pascall. He is an awesome person I will admit that, but I think he gets too much credit for the success of the AHL. Much of that success comes from drafted players 

I don’t see the GM credentials there personally.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Conroy is really deserving I agree. I’ll be interested to see if, and by how much, he differs from Treliving. 

I’ll be honest though I don’t get the love for Brad Pascall. He is an awesome person I will admit that, but I think he gets too much credit for the success of the AHL. Much of that success comes from drafted players 

I think Pascall did a really good job at finding coaches with the AHL team. Something that the club has really struggled to do at the NHL level.

Huska was a big-get. He had Kelowna rolling. 
Maclean was fine. But the hire of Mitch Love was fantastic. The body of the work is small but excellent.

I too am really interested to see how Conroy goes about building a team. 

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think Pascall did a really good job at finding coaches with the AHL team. Something that the club has really struggled to do at the NHL level.

Huska was a big-get. He had Kelowna rolling. 
Maclean was fine. But the hire of Mitch Love was fantastic. The body of the work is small but excellent.

I too am really interested to see how Conroy goes about building a team. 

And don’t get me wrong I think Pascall has done great work for the Flames. I like him and hope he stays. 

I just don’t see a resume that screams NHL GM to be that’s all.

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I do wonder if they bring in some experienced front office people to help Conroy out. If they circle back to some of the names we were hearing in the GM search. Possibly to play a similar role to what Maloney was doing for Treliving.

There has also been a lot of talk about this opening the door for Iginla to join the organization in some sort of capacity.

As much as we all feel like this team needs to be torn down and rebuilt from the foundation up, that was never going to happen. If a new GM were to come in, they would have to spend months getting to know every aspect of the organization inside and out before making any decisions, and quite honestly there are a lot big decisions that can’t wait months. Conroy knows the organization inside and out already so he can hit the ground running today.

Aside from the coach, the biggest decision that has to be made this offseason is what to do with Lindholm. He is going to require at least what they gave Kadri to resign, and he is such a key part of the success of the team, but can you afford to give another big contract that will go beyond a players prime years.

Just now, JTech780 said:

I do wonder if they bring in some experienced front office people to help Conroy out. If they circle back to some of the names we were hearing in the GM search. Possibly to play a similar role to what Maloney was doing for Treliving.

There has also been a lot of talk about this opening the door for Iginla to join the organization in some sort of capacity.

As much as we all feel like this team needs to be torn down and rebuilt from the foundation up, that was never going to happen. If a new GM were to come in, they would have to spend months getting to know every aspect of the organization inside and out before making any decisions, and quite honestly there are a lot big decisions that can’t wait months. Conroy knows the organization inside and out already so he can hit the ground running today.

Aside from the coach, the biggest decision that has to be made this offseason is what to do with Lindholm. He is going to require at least what they gave Kadri to resign, and he is such a key part of the success of the team, but can you afford to give another big contract that will go beyond a players prime years.

I suspect the will and I don’t think we should be surprised if one of the “finalist” for the GM job is that person. My reaction to that list of rumored finalist was it looked to me like they had already decided on Conroy and now are looking to add some experience. 

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I heard some similar speculation about Iggy if Conroy was brought in.  I'm not sure if he would be part of the pro scouting part, but he is definitely the name that adds credibility to the team.  We let go guys that are now part of thoer teams' dynasty.  Big Al and Newy to think of two.  Let go is a bit of a stretch, but these guys went on to become part of the legends of the teams.

I believe we will need some experienced front office staff.  Promoting from within is fine, but I don't see the fit anymore.  We need to revamp the management of this team.  I do hope that the coach search is more than the settling we have seen in the past.