Treliving-Flames mutually part ways. Maloney POHO/interim GM and search on for new GM

cross16

Discussed in other threads but hopefully this can focus on what's next for the Flames as it's been made official today that Treliving is out as GM. 

This wasn't a surprise but honestly Maloney to POHO was for me. I know he is well thought of in that org but looks like he will be tasked with finding the new GM.

Futa and Lombardi are names that are going to be thrown around but I personally don't see that happening. Wouldn't make sense to me to hire Maloney to bring in someone like Lombardi. Futa is a maybe. 

I think Conroy will get real consideration and should. 

My personal list:

Eric Tulsky (He's personally the only person out there that I want but for the purposes of discussion i'll add more)

Jason Botterill

Craig Conroy

Jason Karmanos

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

of what should be no surprise, don't get any hopes up a rebuild is coming

Also sounds like they are leaning the more up and coming route. I liked this answer from Maloney

The state of the roster sounds like Bean has already decided we have the right roster.

Just under-performed.  Already suggesting that Markstrom is coming back, even though they haven't done any evaluation on him or the defense.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Discussed in other threads but hopefully this can focus on what's next for the Flames as it's been made official today that Treliving is out as GM. 

This wasn't a surprise but honestly Maloney to POHO was for me. I know he is well thought of in that org but looks like he will be tasked with finding the new GM.

Futa and Lombardi are names that are going to be thrown around but I personally don't see that happening. Wouldn't make sense to me to hire Maloney to bring in someone like Lombardi. Futa is a maybe. 

My personal list:

Eric Tulsky (He's personally the only person out there that I want but for the purposes of discussion i'll add more)

Jason Botterill

Craig Conroy

Jason Karmanos

I liked what I heard from Maloney. He talked about getting fresh and modern ideas. I think it echoes what most fans want here. We see DS as a bit antiquated in how he treats people and players. I dunno if Maloney feels that way about Sutter though.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

My personal list:

Jason Botterill

Craig Conroy

Jason Karmanos

Just so long as they don't move Sutter up as GM again what a cluster F that would be.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I liked what I heard from Maloney. He talked about getting fresh and modern ideas. I think it echoes what most fans want here. We see DS as a bit antiquated in how he treats people and players. I dunno if Maloney feels that way about Sutter though.

Modern ideas

BT was hamstrung to get away from Burke hockey and the owners tied his hands making decisions.

BT brought in modern analytics to this team.

Sutter is about as old school as you can get, ranks up there with Muller on the PP.

Fresh - that's funny since it was the coaching decisions to not play fresh player but rely on the vet leadership. 

If we are performing surgery, which I doubt, then need to remove the abscess.  The coaching failed.

No matter if you consider the players underperformed or not, the coaching was unable to get enough out of the team.

That is a major fail.  Most teams start with the coach and GM.

They don't just hang it on the GM.

Pretty disappointed to see BT leave. Sure he had his moments but he was a more capable GM than most. Atleast he made Free Agency and Trade Deadline exciting again. Get ready for quieter times. Clearly this organization is struggling, you don’t just walk away from an NHL GM position without good reason. So now the focus of our problems becomes the Owners. The one constant. Personally I have no idea about candidates for this GM position. Maloney doesn’t instill great confidence, he just feels like he’s semi retired here. The vibe around this organization stinks right now, we are legit heading towards rock bottom

42 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It’s one of only 32 in the world, but I don’t think this is the most desirable job.

The new GM will be stuck with the coach most likely and have some major UFA’s to figure out. Not easy.

I agree but it's also why I like Maloney's quote about who they are looking for. Up and comers I think are far more likely to take this, as you say 1 of only 32, and prove themselves instead of candidates that have choice. 

the other thing working in the Flames favor is i'm not sure your going to see a lot of competition. Only them, Pittsburg and the Flyers looking for new GMs (that job might actually be less desirable honestly) right now. More are likely to open up but i'm not sure how many. Hard for me to see more than 1-2 more opening up as most of the ones I thought would have been on the hot seat (MacLellan in Wsh for example) seem like they are staying. 

28 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

Need coaching changes now, well see how the off season pans out with players but change is needed.

Still need a team captain also to fill big shoes as we did lack some player to coach leadership this season.

I like BT but sometimes change is good.

Sutter thinks he is the captain, coach and GM.

Who exactly will ever get it?

Markstrom?  Tanev?

Backlund won't stick around for that.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The state of the roster sounds like Bean has already decided we have the right roster.

Just under-performed.  Already suggesting that Markstrom is coming back, even though they haven't done any evaluation on him or the defense.

I knew it.  Our worst fears come true.  The second half surge after the season was already lost... Meaningless games have convinced the upper execs that this team is on the right track.

At least John Bean said he's not allowed to say the word "rebuild" which could mean that's what he would say if he could but he has to use word salads instead.

3 hours ago, rickross said:

Pretty disappointed to see BT leave. Sure he had his moments but he was a more capable GM than most. Atleast he made Free Agency and Trade Deadline exciting again. Get ready for quieter times. Clearly this organization is struggling, you don’t just walk away from an NHL GM position without good reason. So now the focus of our problems becomes the Owners. The one constant. Personally I have no idea about candidates for this GM position. Maloney doesn’t instill great confidence, he just feels like he’s semi retired here. The vibe around this organization stinks right now, we are legit heading towards rock bottom

Rock bottom is fine man.  Between a rock and a hard place is the worst... Forever 5 points out of a playoff spot and never a lotto team that can draft a franchise altering talent...

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I knew it.  Our worst fears come true.  The second half surge after the season was already lost... Meaningless games have convinced the upper execs that this team is on the right track.

At least John Bean said he's not allowed to say the word "rebuild" which could mean that's what he would say if he could but he has to use word salads instead.

I know you were joking.  He isn't allowed to even make the suggestion.

I wouldn't even call it a 2nd half surge.

We were in the playoffs as of American Thanksgiving.

We sulumpred and wion some, bit mostly played 500 hockey from that point onward.

What did we have two three game streaks in 2023?

The only reason we even came close was 6-2-2 in the last 10 games.

ANd that only made it seem close because WPG and NAS couldn't close.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Not a coincidence they announce this on the day the Oilers play.

As Maloney said they want an up and coming GM. Which also would mean the GM will be cheap. Which has been pretty standard operating procedure from this org 

But what if "modern and progressive" is to tank for several years to accumulate high end talent before trying to contend again?  Or is that actually old school thinking?

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Rock bottom is fine man.  Between a rock and a hard place is the worst... Forever 5 points out of a playoff spot and never a lotto team that can draft a franchise altering talent...

I would call this season the year we made the playoffs and lost in round one.

Next season will be the regression.

We cycle up and down every year.

This was not really the cycle down, so we skipped the year.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I know you were joking.  He isn't allowed to even make the suggestion.

I wouldn't even call it a 2nd half surge.

We were in the playoffs as of American Thanksgiving.

We sulumpred and wion some, bit mostly played 500 hockey from that point onward.

What did we have two three game streaks in 2023?

The only reason we even came close was 6-2-2 in the last 10 games.

ANd that only made it seem close because WPG and NAS couldn't close.

I believe it's actually an NHL rule that upper management cannot use the word "rebuild" or "tank".  Anti-competitive rule and losing on purpose.

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Truly won’t be rock bottom and full reset until there’s new owners. This should be as close as we get…but you know they’ll be preaching how this team is “knocking at the door”! A rebuild isn’t what Huberdeau, Markstrom, Kadri or Weegar signed up for so expect another quick “retooling”. Lost its 2 biggest stars this summer as they didn’t believe in this organization, when your playoff trend is still “in one year, miss the next” it’s easy to see why. No new arena deal, a divisive coach and a toxic ownership group. It sounds like we have some work to do here

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I agree but it's also why I like Maloney's quote about who they are looking for. Up and comers I think are far more likely to take this, as you say 1 of only 32, and prove themselves instead of candidates that have choice. 

the other thing working in the Flames favor is i'm not sure your going to see a lot of competition. Only them, Pittsburg and the Flyers looking for new GMs (that job might actually be less desirable honestly) right now. More are likely to open up but i'm not sure how many. Hard for me to see more than 1-2 more opening up as most of the ones I thought would have been on the hot seat (MacLellan in Wsh for example) seem like they are staying. 

That’s fair. It seems like Briere might have the Flyer job too. Just a matter of that interim tag being removed. 

I could see it being viewed as a better job than Pit. Sure you get to work with Crosby, Malkin and Letang, but that’s an old core with as thin a prospect pool as you’ll find. The Flames aren’t in a great spot but maybe slightly better.

I don’t know if a Tulsky is leaving for either unfortunately 

35 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

That’s fair. It seems like Briere might have the Flyer job too. Just a matter of that interim tag being removed. 

I could see it being viewed as a better job than Pit. Sure you get to work with Crosby, Malkin and Letang, but that’s an old core with as thin a prospect pool as you’ll find. The Flames aren’t in a great spot but maybe slightly better.

I don’t know if a Tulsky is leaving for either unfortunately 

my guess is that if Tulsky ever is a finalist for a job the Hurricanes will just promote him to GM and punt Waddell upstairs to POHO. 
I’d really like him but I’m not really of the belief he’s truly available 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

I got a feeling any seasoned GM feels Sutter would be pulling the strings on player movement anyway. The new GM will most likely just be a figurehead.

10 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I got a feeling any seasoned GM feels Sutter would be pulling the strings on player movement anyway. The new GM will most likely just be a figurehead.

Agreed.

The fact Sutter apparently has a great relationship with ownership is scary, as he likely has a lot of pull in player movement/acquisition and we all know how we wasted most of Iggys prime with Sutter pulling the strings.