Treliving-Flames mutually part ways. Maloney POHO/interim GM and search on for new GM

cross16

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

No, I think hiring Conroy is a strong message to the team and the fans that we want to stay the course (run it back with virtually everyone extended long term).  No changes with this core for the next 3 to 5 years. 

Doesn't mean the players want to extend and stay long term but just saying, that's what hiring Conroy signals.  And Conroy is basically the most qualified and best candidate to do just that.

Conroy won't strip it down to the studs.  He will just wallpaper over everything as he's been told.  I would be very surprised if Conroy comes in and moves a major piece voluntarily.  It would only happen if players forces his hand and refuse to extend.

I don't think anyone wants the team to just run it back.

Getting a round at most is not a great idea for revenue.

This year we had the Panthers type playoff team, albeit less talent and a poor coach.

We had the makings of a team that could make some noise. 

That is done.

And then I laughed.  It was a roster on paper that could have made some noise.

Goaltending not good enough.

Poor coaching such that we would put out 4th line against McDavid.

Mismatched players on lines.

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

This year we had the Panthers type playoff team, albeit less talent and a poor coach.

That is done.

I hope I have been hearing Bean and Maloney wrong but they clearly said they don't feel any changes are required.  They want to run it back.

FLA goes to the Conference Finals so therefore the Flames don't need to make any major changes is total fallacy at its finest.  

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That is done.

When we look at both rosters, whose roster is better? Florida's or Calgary's? I'd say they have higher end on the top. Some decent depth. How many top4/5 picks are on their team? Did they underachieve during the regular season? We talk like we underachieved but there is not a lot of talk of how the Panthers underachieved. Some say we were built for the playoffs, how built for the playoffs are they?

I'd venture to say, the way Bennett plays, brings out that consistency from Tkachuk. Tkachuk took some days off here, but maybe once he got his 100pts, he enjoyed it and realized he could do that every night?

Dubas is out in Toronto. I wonder if Pridham gets promoted, which then take him off our list. 

Also wonder if Calgary takes a run at Dubas now.

I still think Conroy is the favourite. He already knows all the staff and players in the organization, so he wouldn’t need months to gather intel and info on everyone. Which would make the decision making process much quicker.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

When we look at both rosters, whose roster is better? Florida's or Calgary's? I'd say they have higher end on the top. Some decent depth. How many top4/5 picks are on their team? Did they underachieve during the regular season? We talk like we underachieved but there is not a lot of talk of how the Panthers underachieved. Some say we were built for the playoffs, how built for the playoffs are they?

I'd venture to say, the way Bennett plays, brings out that consistency from Tkachuk. Tkachuk took some days off here, but maybe once he got his 100pts, he enjoyed it and realized he could do that every night?

Quite simply, the Panthers and Flames are not the same teams.  The success of the Panthers should have no effect on how we evaluate ourselves and how we build our team.  We need to look at the mirror and address our own problems separate from any other team in the NHL.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Quite simply, the Panthers and Flames are not the same teams.  The success of the Panthers should have no effect on how we evaluate ourselves and how we build our team.  We need to look at the mirror and address our own problems separate from any other team in the NHL.

That is kind of my point. I am asking so that we think of it that way. Many times it is, look, LA just got in and won, look at St. Louis. I don't agree with that way of thinking. I see Florida having a few superstars, and Bobrovsky rose to his heights. He is, so far, maintaining his level of play. Markstrom has shown he can play to that level, but has also shown that he can only do it for one series and when there aren't as many stars on the team (Dallas). 

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Dubas is out in Toronto. I wonder if Pridham gets promoted, which then take him off our list. 

Also wonder if Calgary takes a run at Dubas now.

I still think Conroy is the favourite. He already knows all the staff and players in the organization, so he wouldn’t need months to gather intel and info on everyone. Which would make the decision making process much quicker.

Just a day or two ago, Dubas said in his press conference that if he doesn't come back to the Leafs, then he's taking some family time off.  Not sure if anything has changed between that and today.  I doubt he's coming here though.

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

That is kind of my point. I am asking so that we think of it that way. Many times it is, look, LA just got in and won, look at St. Louis. I don't agree with that way of thinking. I see Florida having a few superstars, and Bobrovsky rose to his heights. He is, so far, maintaining his level of play. Markstrom has shown he can play to that level, but has also shown that he can only do it for one series and when there aren't as many stars on the team (Dallas). 

"DAL is in the Conference Finals. 

Flames beat DAL last season in the playoffs. 

Therefore the Flames should be a Cup finalist contender."

I mean, this is the most dangerous way to think and yet, that's how Bean and Maloney thinks.  At least, that's what they are telling us.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

"DAL is in the Conference Finals. 

Flames beat DAL last season in the playoffs. 

Therefore the Flames should be a Cup finalist contender."

I mean, this is the most dangerous way to think and yet, that's how Bean and Maloney thinks.  At least, that's what they are telling us.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but this has literally been the message for 20 years now. Expecting it to suddenly change is also a fallacy IMO. 

Conroy doesn't send any message. This organization was never going to consider any candidate whose desire it would be to do a full scale rebuild. Wasn't going to happen if Treliving stayed, wasn't going to happen with a new candidate and isn't going to happen so long as Edwards owns the team. 

I don't think Dubas would be interesting in working here. There are already rumblings that part of the stress he mentioned is because Shannahan is very hands on. Could only imagine the stress he'd feel here. 

I do think Dubas is good but he isn't "great" either. never really had a standout move that really worked out and more or less was a steward of an organization that was heading a certain direction before he got there. He was billed as an analytically guy with a bright mind but never really put that into practice. Plus I think you have to be careful judging a GM who has the resources of the Leafs. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but this has literally been the message for 20 years now. Expecting it to suddenly change is also a fallacy IMO. 

Conroy doesn't send any message. This organization was never going to consider any candidate whose desire it would be to do a full scale rebuild. Wasn't going to happen if Treliving stayed, wasn't going to happen with a new candidate and isn't going to happen so long as Edwards owns the team. 

Everybody hates Feaster but he nearly sold it.   And up until recently most of our remaining core was from his era.

In the last press conference they almost seemed to be publicly arguing about it.

I'm not saying your wrong, I just gotta have some hope.

During the season it was floated, more so on social media, that Dubas could be out and Treliving would be a candidate to replace him in Toronto.  

be interesting to see if that had any legs behind it. Leafs are a team that could wait until June to hire him due to existing structure in place already. 

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

At least you agree with me.  And no, I am not saying the Flames will change.  I don't expect it.  I'm just ranting half the time.

I am not the biggest fan of Dubas, nor do I think he is a terrible GM. I doubt he comes here as well. That being said I wouldn’t be surprised if Maloney at least tries to reach out to him to see where he is at or at the very least to gather information.

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

During the season it was floated, more so on social media, that Dubas could be out and Treliving would be a candidate to replace him in Toronto.  

be interesting to see if that had any legs behind it. Leafs are a team that could wait until June to hire him due to existing structure in place already. 

And is Keefe the next to go in Toronto? I have to wonder if Love is somewhat attached to Treliving.

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I am not the biggest fan of Dubas, nor do I think he is a terrible GM. I doubt he comes here as well. That being said I wouldn’t be surprised if Maloney at least tries to reach out to him to see where he is at or at the very least to gather information.

He asked for a raise... would he be too expensive for the Flames?  Flames also paying Sutter $8-mil to retire at his ranch.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

It sounded weird, for Dubas to say they'd be back if they wanted to be, and then asked for a raise. 

I don't know, it sounded weird. Did he sound presumptuous, or was it specifically the raise? Or both?

Inflation... and maybe he's saving up for something.

Love.

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ohhh! If BT signs with the leafs, does he take our current Doug Gilmour?

I don't think we have to worry about that.  There is no Doug Gilmour equivalent on the Flames.  Let BT take Hanifin + Lindholm.  It's not franchise altering talent.