Treliving-Flames mutually part ways. Maloney POHO/interim GM and search on for new GM

cross16

The more I ponder on the new GM the more I lean for an outside guy. This has nothing to do with Conroy or what he is or can do. What I don't like in these conversations is "Well he knows the organization and how things work" IMHO your just recycling the same problem. The same goes for the coaches, I think Love is a good candidate but I still lean towards an outside-of-the-organization person. You now have a great opportunity to clean house, for me its to get rid of everyone that had any dealings or connections with Tre and Sutter, remove them all, and start fresh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

The more I ponder on the new GM the more I lean for an outside guy. This has nothing to do with Conroy or what he is or can do. What I don't like in these conversations is "Well he knows the organization and how things work" IMHO your just recycling the same problem. The same goes for the coaches, I think Love is a good candidate but I still lean towards an outside-of-the-organization person. You now have a great opportunity to clean house, for me its to get rid of everyone that had any dealings or connections with Tre and Sutter, remove them all, and start fresh. 

It doesn't even matter until ownership is okay with a total rebuild.  We are only aiming for the playoffs and not a serious contender.

39 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Friedman mentioned Bowman last week. Seravalli mentioned Bowman today on Flames Talk. There's some smoke around it.

I think fans may have to be prepared for Stan Bowman as the Flames GM

You missed the part where Bettman said absolutely not to Bowman having a job this year in the NHL.

The suspension thing meant he couldn't just get a job if offered.

Needed approval.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:35 AM, The_People1 said:

Might as well let Huberdeau choose our next coach while we are at it.  Since his contract is untradeable, he will be here for the next 8-years.  Andrew Brunette it is.  Luckily Brunette appears totally qualified.

Hmm.  Seems inappropriate.

Would be much classier of Huberdeau's agent picked the coach

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It would be an incredibly disappointing hire

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Hmm.  Seems inappropriate.

Would be much classier of Huberdeau's agent picked the coach

Stan Bowman with Joel Quenneville with Huberdeau.  Proven winner.

30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If this is true I suspect you will hear a lot of Dubas and Calgary rumors. 

Not because I necessarily believe there will be a lot of interest (i don't know if there would be) but just based on numbers. 

Yikes. I prefer the guy the Leafs took Dubas instead of. He even won a cup with us. Lived beside my uncle, lives beside my cousin.lol

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

If this is true I suspect you will hear a lot of Dubas and Calgary rumors. 

Not because I necessarily believe there will be a lot of interest (i don't know if there would be) but just based on numbers. 

What has Dubas done in TO. They have not won Satoshi Nakamoto, it's a market that's easy to sell to players and has boatloads of cash. Other than being in the spotlight 24/7 he has been no more effective than the last guy we had. I think it was Warrner who mentioned all the GMs like Bowman that had good teams, picking the draft selections where they were at in draft position, really did they do anything great? When you're picking 1-3 in multiple drafts it's hard to F that up. Show me a GM/AGM that took a team that had no top draft choices and turned them into a contender, someone different that who I want. Christ look at the Coliers 5 first-rounders and multiple top 5 picks and it's still a mess.

39 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

What has Dubas done in TO. They have not won Satoshi Nakamoto, it's a market that's easy to sell to players and has boatloads of cash. Other than being in the spotlight 24/7 he has been no more effective than the last guy we had. I think it was Warrner who mentioned all the GMs like Bowman that had good teams, picking the draft selections where they were at in draft position, really did they do anything great? When you're picking 1-3 in multiple drafts it's hard to F that up. Show me a GM/AGM that took a team that had no top draft choices and turned them into a contender, someone different that who I want. Christ look at the Coliers 5 first-rounders and multiple top 5 picks and it's still a mess.

Good luck finding that. 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Mark Hunter?

Bingo.lol

Turn the page, new old blood with fingers running all through the hockey world, particularly tuned right in on young players. Highly respected.

edit

Multiple daily London - Calgary flights, hour drive to Oil Springs.lol

It's not that far!!

edit2

Can stand up to ownership effectively.

3 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Dubas also caved hard to Auston Matthew's contract.  Gave him max money and didn't buy a single year of UFA.  It was called one of the worst contracts of all time.

Then he loses a staring contest to Nylander and paid Nylander everything he wanted in the 11th hour of holding out.  It wasn't even close and there was zero compromise from Nylander's side.

He failed to build a good D group during his time and never found a good G.

The Leafs are in a similar spot to the Flames this summer with key players going into their final years.  They need to make big decisions and dish out big money to keep the team together.  Everyone knows Dubas is a softie when it comes to negotiating deals so he risks putting the Leafs into a tough spot like the Flames are with Huberdeau and Kadri.

We shouldn't be interested in Dubas whatsoever if he becomes available.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Bingo.lol

Turn the page, new old blood with fingers running all through the hockey world, particularly tuned right in on young players. Highly respected.

edit

Multiple daily London - Calgary flights, hour drive to Oil Springs.lol

It's not that far!!

edit2

Can stand up to ownership effectively.

I guess the question would be, are the Flames going with young players next season?  The mandate is to get back into the playoffs with this current group of players.  The higher ups believe this is a good group and very little changes are needed.  Mark Hunter would probably come in and rebuild the whole thing from the ground up.

48 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I guess the question would be, are the Flames going with young players next season?  The mandate is to get back into the playoffs with this current group of players.  The higher ups believe this is a good group and very little changes are needed.  Mark Hunter would probably come in and rebuild the whole thing from the ground up.

Nah, I just mean he's also quite tuned into young players. The Knights are ALWAYS a good jr team, and they get entertainment value. Their games are like going to a rock concert.lol

They average about 10,000/gm. Pretty good for CHL in a city of maybe 400-450,000.

Good hockey guy, not a yes man would be nice.

20 hours ago, The_People1 said:

From what I heard about Maloney's recent comments is that he was tired of the 2-1, 3-2 games and wanted more scoring.  Easy to say, but it suggests he wants an offensive thinking coach.  Sure it depends on the coach and GM but it's headed away from just trying to get in.  You look at the teams remaining and they aren't the 3-2 teams.  

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

From what I heard about Maloney's recent comments is that he was tired of the 2-1, 3-2 games and wanted more scoring.  Easy to say, but it suggests he wants an offensive thinking coach.  Sure it depends on the coach and GM but it's headed away from just trying to get in.  You look at the teams remaining and they aren't the 3-2 teams.  

Maloney just won't admit this team is average and not worth salvaging.  This "return to the mean" and return to the top of the Conference is total delusion.  In fact, there's evidence to argue we "returned to the mean" this past season and that 2021/22 was an anomaly.