Treliving-Flames mutually part ways. Maloney POHO/interim GM and search on for new GM

cross16

If Sutter and Bean are going to micromanage this team then Conroy is probably the best suited for the job.  He's been in the organization for awhile so he knows what to expect.  Also, Sutter has been Conroy's boss in the past so the respect for Sutter would be there.  Conroy would be a perfect puppet GM for this group.

I don't about anyone else, but after watching the press conference yesterday, I came away more confused the before about the leadership and direction of this team. At times it seemed like Maloney and Bean were doing two different press conferences, Maloney as times would straight up contradict Bean at the conference. 

I also wasn't a big fan of Bean talking about player decision's, to me that's not his job, and quite frankly he is an oil and gas guy he should probably leave the hockey decisions to hockey guys. If you hire someone who is an expeert in a specific subject matter that you are not, then you should let them do their job. Obviously you can set goals and expectations for them and if they fail to meet them, you can step in and make changes, but you hired them for a reason, let them do their job.

Everything points to Bean and ownership being too hands on with player decisions and that is not a receipe for winning.

Also hated that Bean said he wasn't ever allowed to use the word rebuild. Again that points to the direction handed down from ownership that playoffs are the goal every year, even if it means being mediocre for eternity. 

I really want to be optemistic about this franchise going forward, but it is becoming really hard.

Let's see where this all leads.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

If Sutter and Bean are going to micromanage this team then Conroy is probably the best suited for the job.  He's been in the organization for awhile so he knows what to expect.  Also, Sutter has been Conroy's boss in the past so the respect for Sutter would be there.  Conroy would be a perfect puppet GM for this group.

I loathe that it will be Conroy.

I can't help but wonder what other GMs around the league are thinking about the Flames now. BT carried a ton of respect out the door because he didn't want to be here anymore. I have little doubt that all of the heavyweights of the league have called him to, "wish him well". The GM club isn't a big one, and they can be pretty unforgiving.

Just sayin'. We need to perfect this exit. Maloney with the great start being emotional. But we need a guy not just good for us, but keeping the respect level BT attained. That will be the hard part.

25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't about anyone else, but after watching the press conference yesterday, I came away more confused the before about the leadership and direction of this team. At times it seemed like Maloney and Bean were doing two different press conferences, Maloney as times would straight up contradict Bean at the conference. 

I also wasn't a big fan of Bean talking about player decision's, to me that's not his job, and quite frankly he is an oil and gas guy he should probably leave the hockey decisions to hockey guys. If you hire someone who is an expeert in a specific subject matter that you are not, then you should let them do their job. Obviously you can set goals and expectations for them and if they fail to meet them, you can step in and make changes, but you hired them for a reason, let them do their job.

Everything points to Bean and ownership being too hands on with player decisions and that is not a receipe for winning.

Also hated that Bean said he wasn't ever allowed to use the word rebuild. Again that points to the direction handed down from ownership that playoffs are the goal every year, even if it means being mediocre for eternity. 

I really want to be optemistic about this franchise going forward, but it is becoming really hard.

Let's see where this all leads.

Can I interest you in the Detroit Red Wings?lol We thrive on the world's cheapest pizza!

I'm not sure how this doesn't turn into a trainwreck. Backlund and Lindholm aren't saying outright that they want out. But you'd have to be blind to think that they aren't alluding to it. Everything was so awful last offseason but it turned into positives although the season was annoying.

But what now? Seems like even more guys don't wanna be here and the long contracts know they have to fake it.

I was a huge Sutter fan. But there does set in the reality that 90% of the team looks miserable playing for him. There is zero fun.

I don't care what you do for a living. If you can't have any fun with it, it's just a job that you don't give a Satoshi Nakamoto about. Contract says you have to pay me, it doesn't say that I have to be a mindless drone for this guy.

He's done as a coach. He got fed by the kid on the BIG BOY sign last year. What more do you need?

flatten;crop;webp=auto;jpeg_quality=60.j

53 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I can't help but wonder what other GMs around the league are thinking about the Flames now. BT carried a ton of respect out the door because he didn't want to be here anymore. I have little doubt that all of the heavyweights of the league have called him to, "wish him well". The GM club isn't a big one, and they can be pretty unforgiving.

Just sayin'. We need to perfect this exit. Maloney with the great start being emotional. But we need a guy not just good for us, but keeping the respect level BT attained. That will be the hard part.

You tell me if he's good,

gonna be completely honest it doesn't actually matter how Maloney is as a GM / President  and it's not going to for several years.

It's just going to matter how well he drafts.  Or if he can find someone who drafts well.       For... a while.

I dunno.     I looked at his Phoenix picks.  Not bad.

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

gonna be completely honest it doesn't actually matter how Maloney is as a GM and it's not going to for several years.

It's just going to matter how well he drafts.  Or if he an find someone who drafts well.       For... a while.

Trading partners are important.

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Can I interest you in the Detroit Red Wings?lol We thrive on the world's cheapest pizza!

I'm not sure how this doesn't turn into a trainwreck. Backlund and Lindholm aren't saying outright that they want out. But you'd have to be blind to think that they aren't alluding to it. Everything was so awful last offseason but it turned into positives although the season was annoying.

But what now? Seems like even more guys don't wanna be here and the long contracts know they have to fake it.

I was a huge Sutter fan. But there does set in the reality that 90% of the team looks miserable playing for him. There is zero fun.

I don't care what you do for a living. If you can't have any fun with it, it's just a job that you don't give a Satoshi Nakamoto about. Contract says you have to pay me, it doesn't say that I have to be a mindless drone for this guy.

He's done as a coach. He got fed by the kid on the BIG BOY sign last year. What more do you need?

I can get why Toffioli props him up as a coach.  Guy was a support player on most of his teams and now get elevated to top line, top minutes and top PP time.  And I never remember Sutter saying a bad word about hi ever.  He's there to score every 3 or 4 games according to Sutter math.  Had a career year and the only other ones that managed that were Zadorov (goals) and Backlund (points).  

Pretty hard to sit there and hear that the team lost a tight game because the top players didn't score a goal, while not mentioning that the goalie let in more than 3.  In the next breath, he blames a young goalie for not doing his job.  Made some good saves but wants one or two back.  It's like the team was force fed a goalie and constantly had to outscore his mistakes and were fed up.  The starter is supposed to be better.  Whereas, the young goalie let in a few extra but only when the team was scoring in bunches.  At least it started that way.  Once he sat for too long, the quality starts were gone.  I should say the wins were gone.

Nothing makes sense.  The only thing common is we missed the playoffs twice under Sutter.  We won one round under him and he was outcoached by a rookie coach.  If keeping him means we lose players that represent our best chance at success, then turf the old bas*ard.  

7 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

gonna be completely honest it doesn't actually matter how Maloney is as a GM / President  and it's not going to for several years.

It's just going to matter how well he drafts.  Or if he can find someone who drafts well.       For... a while.

The smart GM's stay out of the way of competent scouts.  ARI has drafted pretty low over the years with the exception of the Mike Smith era.   I think sometimes we fell for a player that showed something to the guy following him.  Somehow able to justify taking him in a 2nd round.  Almost like each scout got their choice of one.  The top round had to be consensus or close to it.  The Euros were harder to dispute.  

I would expect this year to be closer to Craig Button rankings when we go to make choices.  There is a power vacuum now that BT is gone and if it isn't resolved before the draft, the head scouts will dominate.  

The Sting can really get on it tonight in Saginaw. They've taken the 1st 2 very close games at home. All of the pressure is on Saginaw tonight to keep the Sting at bay.

So that's fun and a nice distraction for me. The 2nd rd haunts Sarnia. But this team is potentially the pride of the OHL if the goaltending holds up. Onwards and upwards.

Go Sting, go Wranglers. It's the only solace I have.

3 TV's in my barroom, I'd love to screw my friends and put the Sting on all 3.lol

I can take them, just not the whining. Go TBay's bottom 6 and goalie.

My dream is every Leafs fan screaming, "trade Marner and Matthews" when it's actually the bottom 6. Like the playoffs always are.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Will Conroy not get the respect BT had?  Would this be your biggest concern with Conroy?  To me, he's too much of a nice guy... might get too close and comfy with his players and refuse to trade them if/when needed.

57 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Will Conroy not get the respect BT had?  Would this be your biggest concern with Conroy?  To me, he's too much of a nice guy... might get too close and comfy with his players and refuse to trade them if/when needed.

someone mentioned on the fan that the nice guy persona can change 

I've hemmed and hawed about posting this, but I've decided to give it a shot for a few reasons.

Firstly, I've been a lurking on these boards for years and it would be an understatement to say that I find the different perspectives shared here to be very valuable. Reading the posts over the years has not only given me a better appreciation of the team and the game, but it has helped me better define my own views on things. I bring this up because, even though I've only just reactivated my account, I have definitely noticed all of the technical issues that seem to have taken over the boards in the last few months (login problems, decrease in users, etc.). It seems the existence of the boards has become a bit precarious. This precariousness worries me because I really value the opportunity the boards offer - its pretty cool that us fans can collectively interact around a shared interest in this way. And unlike other boards, I find the dialogue here to be particularly constructive; it feels like a legitimate community. While this community might not be the biggest in terms of sheer numbers, it is exceptionally engaging, respectful and reasonable in its approach. That's saying a lot given the way internet conversations tend to go these days. To my way of thinking, these boards are a worthwhile endeavour, and I would hate for them to disappear due to technical issues or a perceived lack of interest. I imagine any other lurkers out there - I'm sure they exist! - would feel similarly.

So I guess what I'm saying by making this post is that I have a keen interest in these boards and I want to see them thrive. While I can't imagine that anyone within CSEC actually follows these boards very closely (if at all), this post will at least add one more active user to the stats.

Secondly, I wanted to make a post because the team is clearly at a crossroads. Like many of you, I've had a hard time making sense out of this season, the direction of the team, and the short- to medium-term goals of this organization. Perhaps writing something down will help me straighten out my thoughts.

With all of that being said, I will start by saying that I really like Brad Treliving. I think he is a very good general manager, and by all accounts, an even better person. Sure, he made his mistakes, but I think that on balance, he brought this club leaps and bounds ahead of where it was. I dare say he even changed the way the organization thinks/operates.

I think the whole thing about him not getting along personally/professionally with Sutter is overblown. I honestly think that any differences between the two of them can be summarized as two people having different visions for the team. On the one hand, Sutter wants a big, veteran team that thrives on possession, shot volume and cycling the puck. On the other hand, Treliving looked at the most recent game against Colorado and understood that there was no way this iteration of the team is going to win a seven game series against the Avs - the Flames are just too slow and lumbering. I think Treliving therefore wanted a bit more of a hybrid team (i.e. still possession-oriented, but faster and more chances in transition) to compete with the Colorados and the Edmontons of the world. What's more, he saw this offseason as being the perfect opportunity to get started on making the transformation, especially given the emergence of some young building blocks (Pelletier, Ruzicka, Duehr, even Coronato), as well as the value that could be obtained by trading some of next season's impending UFAs now. Ultimately, I think Sutter (and ownership) didn't want to explore that route; rightly or wrongly, they believe in the shot-volume system. So not necessarily bad blood or a bad work relationship, just a different way of seeing the most appropriate next steps.

Nonetheless, Treliving still saw the writing on the wall. He knew he wasn't going to be able to implement his own vision for the team (at least not easily) and instead would have been directed to implement Sutter's vision. That's fine if you believe in it, but if you don't, now you're in the unenviable position of having to implement a plan you don't trust. That makes the day-to-day a real drag. Perhaps more dauntingly, if this plan should happen to fail and you don't make the playoffs, you're facing the very real possibility that most of your UFAs walk away for nothing next offseason, especially given that so few of them seem interested in re-signing ahead of time. Any such mass exodus of UFAs would almost surely lead to Treliving being fired next offseason. By that logic, why not get out of town before the plan fails, while your reputation is still good around the league? To that end, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Treliving go to a team like Toronto; there he would have all of the freedom and money to implement the vision he wants.

Obviously I'm speculating a bit with this whole narrative. That said, if the last few days' events reveal anything to me, it's that ownership wants to stick to Sutter's brand of low-event hockey more than they want to move toward having a younger, faster team. Whether that's because they truly believe in the current system, because they don't want to go young and risk missing the playoffs (especially with an upcoming building expenditure), because they don't want to pay for another fired coach, or for some other reason entirely, I don't know. What's clear to me, however, is that the team's system is not going to change between now and October. Moreover, I'd be surprised to see much roster movement - the cap is too tight and it's too difficult to find hockey trades in this environment. Maybe one or two moves, but not much more than that.

I do think there's some value to maintaining consistency, especially after last offseason's big moves. I think a full summer together, a season of having played within the system, and some general stability will do the team a world of good. I would even go so far as to say that this same roster could make the playoffs next year. Problem is, I think the mood of the dressing room is currently anything but stable. Not exactly a great recipe for success. Beyond that, I personally tend to favour the younger, hybrid model I described above, as opposed to the low-event shot-volume style currently implemented. That all leaves me a bit skeptical for the direction of the team as we head into the offseason.

What leaves me even more skeptical for the medium- to long-term, are the circumstances surrounding Treliving's departure. As I said at the outset, I really like Treliving and what he brought to the team. I think ownership liked him too, if the rumours of offered contract extensions are to be believed. If he's leaving, I think it's because his vision for the team is irreconcilable with the vision that ownership currently holds. And while it's normal for ownership and their GMs to eventually disagree about the direction of the team, I think it's unfortunate that this situation ended with a good GM feeling he had better opportunities elsewhere. Then again, perhaps I value Treliving and his vision more highly than I should.

Anyway, that's my analysis. Take it for what it's worth. Thanks for entertaining me with this chance to share my thoughts. Even if I don't necessarily agree with what appears to be the current vision of the team, I am optimistic that the team will hire a good GM.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Flamesfan101 said:

Obviously I'm speculating a bit with this whole narrative. That said, if the last few days' events reveal anything to me, it's that ownership wants to stick to Sutter's brand of low-event hockey more than they want to move toward having a younger, faster team. Whether that's because they truly believe in the current system, because they don't want to go young and risk missing the playoffs (especially with an upcoming building expenditure), because they don't want to pay for another fired coach, or for some other reason entirely, I don't know. What's clear to me, however, is that the team's system is not going to change between now and October. Moreover, I'd be surprised to see much roster movement - the cap is too tight and it's too difficult to find hockey trades in this environment. Maybe one or two moves, but not much more than that.

Welcome back!  It's been difficult with the changes implemented to keep people and get them back.

The main link on the Flames site doesn't work, so it's hard to get people to the site.

Anyway, I think that it's not impossible to make trades.

You need to be creative, but you also need to have the right piece to move.

Nobody wants a Lewis.

They want Tkachuks or Gaudreaus.

Or Andersson.

Regardless, sometimes you need to slightly lose a trade.

Whether that gives you some cap to make other moves or gets you calls.

8 hours ago, Flamesfan101 said:

I've hemmed and hawed about posting this, but I've decided to give it a shot for a few reasons.

Firstly, I've been a lurking on these boards for years and it would be an understatement to say that I find the different perspectives shared here to be very valuable. Reading the posts over the years has not only given me a better appreciation of the team and the game, but it has helped me better define my own views on things. I bring this up because, even though I've only just reactivated my account, I have definitely noticed all of the technical issues that seem to have taken over the boards in the last few months (login problems, decrease in users, etc.). It seems the existence of the boards has become a bit precarious. This precariousness worries me because I really value the opportunity the boards offer - its pretty cool that us fans can collectively interact around a shared interest in this way. And unlike other boards, I find the dialogue here to be particularly constructive; it feels like a legitimate community. While this community might not be the biggest in terms of sheer numbers, it is exceptionally engaging, respectful and reasonable in its approach. That's saying a lot given the way internet conversations tend to go these days. To my way of thinking, these boards are a worthwhile endeavour, and I would hate for them to disappear due to technical issues or a perceived lack of interest. I imagine any other lurkers out there - I'm sure they exist! - would feel similarly.

So I guess what I'm saying by making this post is that I have a keen interest in these boards and I want to see them thrive. While I can't imagine that anyone within CSEC actually follows these boards very closely (if at all), this post will at least add one more active user to the stats.

Secondly, I wanted to make a post because the team is clearly at a crossroads. Like many of you, I've had a hard time making sense out of this season, the direction of the team, and the short- to medium-term goals of this organization. Perhaps writing something down will help me straighten out my thoughts.

With all of that being said, I will start by saying that I really like Brad Treliving. I think he is a very good general manager, and by all accounts, an even better person. Sure, he made his mistakes, but I think that on balance, he brought this club leaps and bounds ahead of where it was. I dare say he even changed the way the organization thinks/operates.

I think the whole thing about him not getting along personally/professionally with Sutter is overblown. I honestly think that any differences between the two of them can be summarized as two people having different visions for the team. On the one hand, Sutter wants a big, veteran team that thrives on possession, shot volume and cycling the puck. On the other hand, Treliving looked at the most recent game against Colorado and understood that there was no way this iteration of the team is going to win a seven game series against the Avs - the Flames are just too slow and lumbering. I think Treliving therefore wanted a bit more of a hybrid team (i.e. still possession-oriented, but faster and more chances in transition) to compete with the Colorados and the Edmontons of the world. What's more, he saw this offseason as being the perfect opportunity to get started on making the transformation, especially given the emergence of some young building blocks (Pelletier, Ruzicka, Duehr, even Coronato), as well as the value that could be obtained by trading some of next season's impending UFAs now. Ultimately, I think Sutter (and ownership) didn't want to explore that route; rightly or wrongly, they believe in the shot-volume system. So not necessarily bad blood or a bad work relationship, just a different way of seeing the most appropriate next steps.

Nonetheless, Treliving still saw the writing on the wall. He knew he wasn't going to be able to implement his own vision for the team (at least not easily) and instead would have been directed to implement Sutter's vision. That's fine if you believe in it, but if you don't, now you're in the unenviable position of having to implement a plan you don't trust. That makes the day-to-day a real drag. Perhaps more dauntingly, if this plan should happen to fail and you don't make the playoffs, you're facing the very real possibility that most of your UFAs walk away for nothing next offseason, especially given that so few of them seem interested in re-signing ahead of time. Any such mass exodus of UFAs would almost surely lead to Treliving being fired next offseason. By that logic, why not get out of town before the plan fails, while your reputation is still good around the league? To that end, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Treliving go to a team like Toronto; there he would have all of the freedom and money to implement the vision he wants.

I do think there's some value to maintaining consistency, especially after last offseason's big moves. I think a full summer together, a season of having played within the system, and some general stability will do the team a world of good. I would even go so far as to say that this same roster could make the playoffs next year. Problem is, I think the mood of the dressing room is currently anything but stable. Not exactly a great recipe for success. Beyond that, I personally tend to favour the younger, hybrid model I described above, as opposed to the low-event shot-volume style currently implemented. That all leaves me a bit skeptical for the direction of the team as we head into the offseason.

What leaves me even more skeptical for the medium- to long-term, are the circumstances surrounding Treliving's departure. As I said at the outset, I really like Treliving and what he brought to the team. I think ownership liked him too, if the rumours of offered contract extensions are to be believed. If he's leaving, I think it's because his vision for the team is irreconcilable with the vision that ownership currently holds. And while it's normal for ownership and their GMs to eventually disagree about the direction of the team, I think it's unfortunate that this situation ended with a good GM feeling he had better opportunities elsewhere. Then again, perhaps I value Treliving and his vision more highly than I should.

Anyway, that's my analysis. Take it for what it's worth. Thanks for entertaining me with this chance to share my thoughts. Even if I don't necessarily agree with what appears to be the current vision of the team, I am optimistic that the team will hire a good GM.

Great Post - I share your thoughts completely 

22 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The Flames need a culture change.  The old style Burke-Sutter-Bean beliefs are so 2000's.

At best 2012.

I don't know that Conroy can bridge the gap to the new mantra.

He does seem to be a players' GM, and would probably have players want to sign.

But, I don't believe he would have more autonomy than BT.

IMHO, Maloney needs to make the decision now to part ways with Sutter and Muller, just based on results.

It doesn't matter what the players say, the results speak for themselves.

You don't reward sub-par results by replacing the GM only because he walked away.

Let the new GM, be free and clear to name his coaching staff.

It could run deeper than just Sutter and Muller, but some things worked so let him make that call.

On 4/17/2023 at 11:44 AM, cross16 said:

Discussed in other threads but hopefully this can focus on what's next for the Flames as it's been made official today that Treliving is out as GM. 

This wasn't a surprise but honestly Maloney to POHO was for me. I know he is well thought of in that org but looks like he will be tasked with finding the new GM.

Futa and Lombardi are names that are going to be thrown around but I personally don't see that happening. Wouldn't make sense to me to hire Maloney to bring in someone like Lombardi. Futa is a maybe. 

I think Conroy will get real consideration and should. 

My personal list:

Eric Tulsky (He's personally the only person out there that I want but for the purposes of discussion i'll add more)

Jason Botterill

Craig Conroy

Jason Karmanos

Just so long as they don't move Sutter up as GM again what a cluster F that would be.

21 minutes ago, zima said:

Everyone is blaming BT Sutter the D and the F but in my mind there is only 2 to blame Markstrom and Vladar but mostly Marky they should have brought up Wolf half way through the season JMO of course

I think there is a healthy mix of debate on the problems we had.  

You can't just point to one cause and say that's the only reason.

Ignoring the cap for a moment, what is to say that Wolf would have fared any better.

One throwaway game doesn't prove it, and that was at the very end of the season.

He would have the same issue in front of him.

The cap and roster limits make it difficult to have 3 goalies.

We had already lost a spot to keep Kylington active, should he have been able to return.

We had injury issues with the D.

We had to waive Valimaki because of the roster limit.

So, to get Wolf up, we would need to waive Vladar or run less D and F.

That wouldn't end well, especially considering Vladar was in a 13 game points streak.

Unbeaten in regulation during that time.

1 hour ago, zima said:

Everyone is blaming BT Sutter the D and the F but in my mind there is only 2 to blame Markstrom and Vladar but mostly Marky they should have brought up Wolf half way through the season JMO of course

I think Markstrom deserves a large percentage of the blame this season.  It's being nice to suggest he only let in 30 bad goals.  Can't even think of one game he stole for us this season but I can think of 10 to 15 games where he lost it for us.

59 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think Markstrom deserves a large percentage of the blame this season.  It's being nice to suggest he only let in 30 bad goals.  Can't even think of one game he stole for us this season but I can think of 10 to 15 games where he lost it for us.

It's the 2-1 or 3-0 or 3-1 losses that are tough to pin on him.  Did he make that one save?  Nope.

Did the team score one more goal?  Nope.

Too many of both.

On 4/18/2023 at 11:30 PM, The_People1 said:

Mainly, it will point to an absolute zero change in management. Undoubtedly Conroy has been around everything the Flames do and how they conduct their business. So while we're on this endless merry-go-round of blaming coaches and players, the plan of attack never waivers.

So just like this season where I thought the only chance after the Detroit loss was to inject plenty of youth because the team has zero heart, nothing ever changes.

So now Bean is still talking about a paper team, and he is inexplicably talking about a "hot finish"....I have no idea what they are watching.

The Flames ownership is Wayfair pretending that they're IBM. I feel like Bean is Feaster...it's like CNRL hiring sub-contractors that tell them what they don't want to hear so they find one's that do tell them what they want to hear. What is the point?

"Earned, Never Given" was a fun motto. Very unfitting in regards to ownership's treatment of respect.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Mainly, it will point to an absolute zero change in management. Undoubtedly Conroy has been around everything the Flames do and how they conduct their business. So while we're on this endless merry-go-round of blaming coaches and players, the plan of attack never waivers.

So just like this season where I thought the only chance after the Detroit loss was to inject plenty of youth because the team has zero heart, nothing ever changes.

So now Bean is still talking about a paper team, and he is inexplicably talking about a "hot finish"....I have no idea what they are watching.

The Flames ownership is Wayfair pretending that they're IBM. I feel like Bean is Feaster...it's like CNRL hiring sub-contractors that tell them what they don't want to hear so they find one's that do tell them what they want to hear. What is the point?

"Earned, Never Given" was a fun motto. Very unfitting in regards to ownership's treatment of respect.

Red Wings are ran by hockey legend Steve Yzerman.  Flames are ran by oil and gas accounting legend John Bean. 

We are not the same.