Treliving-Flames mutually part ways. Maloney POHO/interim GM and search on for new GM

cross16

Rich Peverley is an interesting name.

Director of Player personnel with Dallas. Been working in the Stars FO for 8yrs. Really involved in their scouting.

Dallas is a team that's drafted really well. Last year the leading scorer in the Q, O and WHL were all Dallas draft picks. Even if they don't hire Peverley, any insight the Flames could gain would be valuable. 

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Rich Peverley is an interesting name.

Director of Player personnel with Dallas. Been working in the Stars FO for 8yrs. Really involved in their scouting.

Dallas is a team that's drafted really well. Last year the leading scorer in the Q, O and WHL were all Dallas draft picks. Even if they don't hire Peverley, any insight the Flames could gain would be valuable. 

Was just talking about him yesterday. He was part of the Seguin to Dallas trade. Sounds like he's become more than just a throw-in.lol

Dallas is one of the top drafting teams imo. Count Nill and Yzerman as 2 guys that had to depart the Wings for Holland not willingly parting with the GM role. At least we're almost done with Holland's terrible contracts now, just the Abdelkader buyout still lingering.

I think Chris O'Hearn is a name we may hear about during this search. Wasn't on my radar initially but Maloney hired him in Arizona, he spent a season here as a pro scout and now is in Minnesota as the AGM. Getting a lot of praise as a young up and comer, really smart, law background, and got a lot of praise for guiding the Wild through the last couple summers with their cap. He is the top contract negotiator for the Wild. 

Fits the profile of what Maloney mentioned in the press conference. 

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think Chris O'Hearn is a name we may hear about during this search. Wasn't on my radar initially but Maloney hired him in Arizona, he spent a season here as a pro scout and now is in Minnesota as the AGM. Getting a lot of praise as a young up and comer, really smart, law background, and got a lot of praise for guiding the Wild through the last couple summers with their cap. He is the top contract negotiator for the Wild. 

Fits the profile of what Maloney mentioned in the press conference. 

Who fits the profile of a bobblehead to agree with everything Bean says?

Just kidding.  I hope I am kidding.

The quitting has left a hole in the management side and an a hole of a coach dealing directly with the owners.

I do hope we do an exhaustive search of people.

This team needs a strong voice and one with vision.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The quitting has left a hole in the management side and an a hole of a coach dealing directly with the owners.

I don't think it's Bean who is giving the orders. 

Your kidding... but i'm not laughing......

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think it's Bean who is giving the orders. 

Your kidding... but i'm not laughing......

I guess sometimes it looks that way.  Bean is maybe just the mouthpiece for hands-on owners.

It didn't seem to me that Maloney had much control, but it just seemed that way from an odd presser.

No idea.  

I'm not close enough to the workings of the team to really know.

The lame joke is just my frustration spilling over into comments.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Would you go with data driven decisions or just decide and try to find stats to back it up?  LOL

Since those two things are almost identical I would use neither and show them all the tax breaks they could get by moving the team to Panama.   

That's one way to fix the owner situation.   Then I'd have to apply to Phoenix for step 2.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Since those two things are almost identical I would use neither and show them all the tax breaks they could get by moving the team to Panama.   

That's one way to fix the owner situation.   Then I'd have to apply to Phoenix for step 2.

Best solution would be to play the Flames home games on the moon.

Even Markstrom could stop the slow motion shots.

Teams playing us would need to get used to weightlessness.

A check would send a player flying.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

That would be Craig Conroy.

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting read. Summary of names, according to ESPN sources, who are next in line for GM/Coaching jobs

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/35930681/who-top-candidates-nhl-coach-gm-jobs

Gillman and Darche make a lot of

sense IMO. There does seem to be a lot of signs pointed to Conroy as the leading candidate though.

Doesn’t make much sense to make a decision till after the playoffs when you can talk to everyone available.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Interesting read. Summary of names, according to ESPN sources, who are next in line for GM/Coaching jobs

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/35930681/who-top-candidates-nhl-coach-gm-jobs

Cool to see Brad Holland on that list. I used to talk hockey with him on the reg because he was a patron at the bar that I would tend. At that time, he was working in the war room, and it was his dream to fix the Calgary Flames (circa 2011). Not because he was a fan, but because he identified the issues, and felt that he had some ideas that would right the ship. I haven't seen him in years, and had no idea that he was working with his old man in Edmonton.

Love.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

Cool to see Brad Holland on that list. I used to talk hockey with him on the reg because he was a patron at the bar that I would tend. At that time, he was working in the war room, and it was his dream to fix the Calgary Flames (circa 2011). Not because he was a fan, but because he identified the issues, and felt that he had some ideas that would right the ship. I haven't seen him in years, and had no idea that he was working with his old man in Edmonton.

Love.

Hilarious if father/son are GM of the Alberta rivalry.  I wonder if he would take the job here.

As a general rule I don't really like the former franchise player approach to building a management team. I know it worked for Sakic in Colorado but generally I don't think it works. 

But at the same time i think this idea has merit because as critical as it is for the Flames to get their hockey ops right and have good decision makers, they have to really consider their image too. It's not great right now and having Iginla involved, really in any capacity, is not a bad idea. 

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

But at the same time i think this idea has merit because as critical as it is for the Flames to get their hockey ops right and have good decision makers, they have to really consider their image too. It's not great right now and having Iginla involved, really in any capacity, is not a bad idea. 

Even if it makes sense, what are the chances that he comes back to Canada.

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Even if it makes sense, what are the chances that he comes back to Canada.

Depending on what role they give him he doesn't really have to. Maloney continues to live in Arizona. 

Also my understanding that Iginla still maintains a residence in Kelowna. 

On 4/25/2023 at 12:37 PM, cross16 said:

Interesting read, yes.   

But hard to take it seriously without Mitch Love on there.  Let's be real.  It's a names article and not a performance article (I'm obviously generalizing and not looking to start a thread).  Some very typical Eastern slants (not all).

That said, to give Emily Kaplan credit, if you're going to name names, some of those names should be female.  Let's be honest, you have to be Really good to survive as a female in that culture, even though it has improved tremendously.

Out of that list, I do take some of the female names seriously and that is probably coming.   

I know it won't happen but if I were to pick someone out of that particular list it would be one of the women.   What's not entirely out of the realm of likelihood is picking a female assistant NHL coach out of that list.   I just think there are enough women in hockey and enough of a glass ceiling that some on this list are going to actually be extremely good.

And if they're not it just helps us along with the rebuild lol