Treliving-Flames mutually part ways. Maloney POHO/interim GM and search on for new GM

cross16

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Alternatively, he'll be fine. Dubas was an easy target as he's young and comes across as pretty arrogant. I think the fans and media will enjoy Treliving being more down to earth. His personality is a lot more likeable so that's a good start.

You know, I hate to say this, but I could see Toronto winning a cup with Treliving driving the bus. He's a smart guy, and we just might really miss him. 

Love. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

You know, I hate to say this, but I could see Toronto winning a cup with Treliving driving the bus. He's a smart guy, and we just might really miss him. 

Love. 

Only if they can pull off a Gilmour-trade with the Flames again.

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

Never thought i'd say this lol, but, now could be a good time to have a little faith in Flames management/GM.

I have found some moderate success in life being a contrarian, things are rarely what they seem and popular opinion is rarely reliable.

BT has martyred himself and is loved by all, despite an abysmal track record and basically squandering 80% of our core +  many of our top picks.  Also despite a series of highly questionable coach and staff hires.

This might be an owner problem.  It's sound logic.   I have little interest now in bashing BT as I have in the past, there's very little point or motivation to it.

On the flip side, I have so far liked 100% of Conroy's early moves.   Firstly, Conroy knows how to bring people together and surround himself with the right people as well as influence a team.   There is always a chance that if we have an owner problem, Conroy is the cure.   He is impossible not to like.    He could be a yes-man, but this is unproven.   In fact the very few moves he's made thus far suggest a mind of his own, and a willingness to make long-term decisions.

BT has never even pretended to make long-term decisions, and left us to believe that this is due to owners.  Yet here we have this new GM who is making long term decisions right off the get-go.  Huh.

When everyone is very, very high on something, it's usually over-rated.   And visa versa.

The next generation of a Flames contending team will 100% be born out of the ashes of fan despair.  Batman's no fool.

We're either there right now or very close to it.  Early moves that have made long-term sense:

-all of a sudden, we just offloaded a bunch of prospects that had no prospect.

Not exactly yes-man stuff.   These are unpopular moves, straight up.  The type of tough decisions BT could never make.   These prospects were loved, but they were going nowhere.  Now we have room to fill the pipeline with promising talent.  BT would have held on.  He...always...holds... on...tooo...long.  way.  too long to depreciating assets and glut.

-He kept Markstrom.   I would too.  If I wanted to rebuild.  and yeah that's going to be painful but it's the right long-term thing to do.   We'll draft where we should draft that way.

-He's renewed contracts for some very bright minds in our organisation.    After seeing exit after exit after exit, all of a sudden we are seeing some selective gravity for the types this organisation needs.    It shows you where his priorities are.   And I like.  Nonis is a keeper, you lock that down.   It's an investment in good decisions.

-He's taking his time with the coaching hire.   Again, not a yes-man move.  Fans want a coach.   He don't care.  I like it.

-Draft picks?  He's not spent a single one.  Steady hand.

I could be wrong, and hate him in a month.   But I like what I see right so far, and there is the possibility that he may have what it takes to wean fans off of knee-jerk reaction moves.    We  are in a better position now than when Conroy took over, at least long term.

I'm not saying this next season won't be ugly, but as long as he continues to make long term moves, I will support Conroy (until the moment he doesn't).

p.s...sorry for talking about Conroy in a BT thread, I just feel it's a more appropriate way to make my point and for anyone who's seen my BT rants I am sure they would agree

5 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

Agree. I think a lot of the "what-ifs" that could've happened during his tenure were results of the management getting involved.

Like the trades that almost happened but didn't. (Stone, Eichel)

The Stone one is the worst for me as I believe the rumored ask was Valimaki++

Most of us were pretty high on him at the time but it seems ownership was even more so as this obviously didn't happen. Fast forward to now and we lost him for nothing, still don't have Stone, and Valimaki started showing glimpses of that 2017 1st round pedigree with Arizona.

2 hours ago, Sarasti said:

Agree. I think a lot of the "what-ifs" that could've happened during his tenure were results of the management getting involved.

Like the trades that almost happened but didn't. (Stone, Eichel)

The Stone one is the worst for me as I believe the rumored ask was Valimaki++

Most of us were pretty high on him at the time but it seems ownership was even more so as this obviously didn't happen. Fast forward to now and we lost him for nothing, still don't have Stone, and Valimaki started showing glimpses of that 2017 1st round pedigree with Arizona.

I don't think anybody stopped Stone or Eichel trades, I don't think the Flames were as close on Eichel and Stone the issue was whether he was open to signing an extension which he wasn't.  If you could predict Valimaki would miss close to 2 years due to injury and covid stoppages you pull of that trade and take Stone as a rental, problem was he was trending very well that season.  The more notable reported trades shut down were Ben Bishop and Jason Zucker, and I think if both went through they would be on the negative side of his transaction history.

I was always a fan of Treliving, I don't know if he's the guy to get Toronto over the hump, It will be curious to see how he does now that he is in a more desirable market and will not have to worry about as many clauses.  That said he still made several mistakes here, many out of desperation and he is now in a far more desperate market.

5 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't think anybody stopped Stone or Eichel trades, I don't think the Flames were as close on Eichel and Stone the issue was whether he was open to signing an extension which he wasn't.  If you could predict Valimaki would miss close to 2 years due to injury and covid stoppages you pull of that trade and take Stone as a rental, problem was he was trending very well that season.  The more notable reported trades shut down were Ben Bishop and Jason Zucker, and I think if both went through they would be on the negative side of his transaction history.

I was always a fan of Treliving, I don't know if he's the guy to get Toronto over the hump, It will be curious to see how he does now that he is in a more desirable market and will not have to worry about as many clauses.  That said he still made several mistakes here, many out of desperation and he is now in a far more desperate market.

TBH, I don't think any team received assurances that Stone would sign.

We wouldn't take the risk, which I get.

But, think about it this way.

We faced the AVS in round one and got hammered.

We lacked a big body that could do something.

If we couldn't re-sign him, we could trade his rights to a team that would.

And that's not agiven he wouldn't sign.

Anyway water under the bridge.

By the sounds of what we offered in the Eichel trade, it wasn't a lot.