Treliving-Flames mutually part ways. Maloney POHO/interim GM and search on for new GM

cross16

If anything, I think we’ll see Iginla in and advisory type roll. He could spend the summer around management, see how the organization goes about the draft, UFA, etc. He goes back to Kelowna for the fall to coach. Then next season make the jump in a full time roll to management if he wants.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

kay I'm gonna say it,

I'm not really invested in this argument as doesn't matter any more.   BT martyred himself and now we love him even more, I get it, and I also get that we have an owner problem.

But I don't really see how anyone can watch what's happening in the playoffs right now  with the Florida Flames and think "yeah BT was great, he nailed it".

Just saying.   For sure I understand the owner meddling but some of these moves were just braindead. sorry.  called them that at the time, and before they were "necessary".. they looked bad then and look bad now.  Hindsight, whatever, sure.  But man ....i don't see his moves aging well.

I never liked the handling of Bennett. A fee on here agreed with me, but I do get the arguments he didn't do himself any favours. But at the same time, I felt a product of trying to do more with the hand he was dealt and thus looking bad doing so. He got a few games with the likes of Gaudreau, whereas we saw what he could do with Backlund. 

even though he's around a 50 point guy now, he's still a decent player. But we need to look ourselves in the eye and question development, the fact that there is more than one way to develop players. One is gift them Hudler and Gaudreau, or let them develop with like players on the 4th line, another wasn't the way to develop Benny with no players or skill to accentuate what he brought.

• Like 1

I don't get the love affair of having Iginla in the flames organization. I think being out of the game for a few years makes it feel odd because in a lot of cases we seem to see the players get involved sooner in the capacity we are talking about. 

is it media driven or does Iginla actually want to develop his career in the NHL? I kind of got tired of Iginla in the last few years of his time with the flames. Like every other player saying, need to be better, need to start on time, etc. so to me, just a rehash of the organizations philosophy. 

11 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don't get the love affair of having Iginla in the flames organization. I think being out of the game for a few years makes it feel odd because in a lot of cases we seem to see the players get involved sooner in the capacity we are talking about. 

is it media driven or does Iginla actually want to develop his career in the NHL? I kind of got tired of Iginla in the last few years of his time with the flames. Like every other player saying, need to be better, need to start on time, etc. so to me, just a rehash of the organizations philosophy. 

Question.  How many allstar caliber forwards did Iginla have to work with in his last few years?  Even a question of how many did he have during his career.  In reality those later teams weren't very good, the organization failed the Iginla by not ever getting him more help, but after watching two guys who could've chased his records leave the organization I have a little more appreciation for the guy.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

In many cases I would agree with this. But at this point in time I think the organization needs someone like Iginla for the fans. Someone who is positive, respected and knows the game. 

the organization needs more of that. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If anything, I think we’ll see Iginla in and advisory type roll. He could spend the summer around management, see how the organization goes about the draft, UFA, etc. He goes back to Kelowna for the fall to coach. Then next season make the jump in a full time roll to management if he wants.

this is what I had in mind too. Special asst to the GM/Ambassador type role for now and then see if it develops into more 

3 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Question.  How many allstar caliber forwards did Iginla have to work with in his last few years?  Even a question of how many did he have during his career.  In reality those later teams weren't very good, the organization failed the Iginla by not ever getting him more help, but after watching two guys who could've chased his records leave the organization I have a little more appreciation for the guy.

Welcome back!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

this is what I had in mind too. Special asst to the GM/Ambassador type role for now and then see if it develops into more 

That would make sense. It's just a question of does he want to replay his, "most recognizable person in Calgary" lifestyle? I understand that it got pretty hard on his personal life in the end. Impossible to do the most menial of tasks without being recognized.

I agree with Cross, this organization has lost a fair amount of credibility with the hardcore fans, and having someone like Iginla, who is quite possibly the most recognizable and respected player in Flames history, within the organization would go a long way to bridging that gap, and not just with the hardcore fans.

Iginla is quite possibly on the same level as Salic and Yzerman in terms of how much they are respected around the game. Now I am not saying that Iginla would have the same success in a front office role as those two, but it definitely wouldn’t surprise me if he did.

28 minutes ago, sak22 said:

i think that is  a good point, and I definitely agree. It really points to the fact the flames have a hard time filling holes when needed, but I think this team could be better situated. I felt the rebuild was written on the wall then and there was denial. 

I really do like your comment and agree.

I don't mind Tkachuk as much because he let them know that he wasn't going to sign. Did the Flames a favour. Maybe not, but I'd rather know someone isn't interested.

20 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I agree with Cross, this organization has lost a fair amount of credibility with the hardcore fans, and having someone like Iginla, who is quite possibly the most recognizable and respected player in Flames history, within the organization would go a long way to bridging that gap, and not just with the hardcore fans.

Iginla is quite possibly on the same level as Salic and Yzerman in terms of how much they are respected around the game. Now I am not saying that Iginla would have the same success in a front office role as those two, but it definitely wouldn’t surprise me if he did.

I think hardcore fans aren't going to get fooled by this marketing scheme.  Bringing in Iginla will instead help sell the Flames to the casuals.

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

In many cases I would agree with this. But at this point in time I think the organization needs someone like Iginla for the fans. Someone who is positive, respected and knows the game. 

PP coach?

Just now, The_People1 said:

I think hardcore fans aren't going to get fooled by this marketing scheme.  Bringing in Iginla will instead help sell the Flames to the casuals.

Except I don't really view it as marketing to just the fans but marketing the team to the league and the players.  We need players who want to be here and not just because we're paying them a lot to be here.  Nobody sells the team better to other players than a hall of fame player who actually chose to be here for the majority of his career.

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I've submitted my interest

• 2 weeks later...