Jonathan Huberdeau

Thebrewcrew

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Much like most of your arguments using tired examples about a wide range of topics.  All you ever need say is we should rebuild and leave it at that.  You will only ever be happy when we pick your picks, sign the fringe players that didn't get drafted y 32 team or were let go, and draft one of the many generational players each year.

Well I responded very directly to your 50-goal meh comment, I do apologize if it came across too strong.

Not aimed at you, but if I'm being accused of generalities and wide ranges of topics, please do let me get that out of my system:

Us in the 90's:

"Oh hey this Fleury kid's good, maybe he can lead us to a cup since we traded away all our other stars.   Or, is he too small for playoffs?"

Management:   "Nah, get with the 90's, it's a new era and it's about skill now.  Let's roll with it"

Us 20 years later:    "Hey, this Gaudreau kid.... remember how Fleury turned out?"

Management:   "Nah, different era.  Plus this time it's different because this kid doesn't even want to be here, Plus he's even less physical.   Let's roll with it"

Even if he's only here short term, those #10 jerseys are gonna fly off the shelves.

There's gonna be a lot of folks looking to upgrade their 13 and 19 jerseys.

Good timing for the Flames coming out with another Reverse Retro and reportedly, an alternate as well

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Anyone else find it interesting that he said that he chose his number for the year, and that he is excited to play in front of the sea of red this season.

Interesting wording.

I noticed that too.

I think it's important to note that english is his second language and a little detail like that may not be front of mind. I doubt there was any intention behind it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Anyone else find it interesting that he said that he chose his number for the year, and that he is excited to play in front of the sea of red this season.

Interesting wording.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I noticed that too.

I think it's important to note that english is his second language and a little detail like that may not be front of mind. I doubt there was any intention behind it.

Seriously what could go wrong

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting wording.

Maybe he thinks they'll move Backlund and he'll be able to claim his #11 back 😎

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Seriously what could go wrong

I get everybody's apprehension . I mean we just got burned twice .  But I'll say i see no red flags that this will end badly .. 

- he's stated he's open to long term 

- his agent backed him up and is apparently already talking

- he's making a point of reaching out to the city 

- he may not have waived his NTC but we werent even on his list to begin with.. most players who want to stay in the US full their list with all Canadian teams ..

- obviously term and $ are important, but I see no reason to believe we'd lowball the guy 

Let's get the guy into the city and actually meet his teammates and coaches before we assume he's already buying a one way ticket out of town 

9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I get everybody's apprehension . I mean we just got burned twice .  But I'll say i see no red flags that this will end badly .. 

- he may not have waived his NTC but we werent even on his list to begin with.. most players who want to stay in the US full their list with all Canadian teams ..

- obviously term and $ are important, but I see no reason to believe we'd lowball the guy 

Let's get the guy into the city and actually meet his teammates and coaches before we assume he's already buying a one way ticket out of town 

I'll be cheering for him, banter aside.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'll be cheering for him, banter aside.

Me too..  I was trying to think..have we ever had a higher profile acquisition?

Maybe Phil Housley in his prime ? 

Don Edwards was considered one of the best goalies  in the league when we traded for him.. 

We've had a few well past their prime ones like Fuhr, Amonte, Owen Nolan.. 

But I can't think of a higher one.. this is arguably the premier left wing in the league today..a real Hart candidate ..  I can see why people are nervous .we have a history of not being allowed to have nice things 

41 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Me too..  I was trying to think..have we ever had a higher profile acquisition?

Maybe Phil Housley in his prime ? 

Don Edwards was considered one of the best goalies  in the league when we traded for him.. 

We've had a few well past their prime ones like Fuhr, Amonte, Owen Nolan.. 

But I can't think of a higher one.. this is arguably the premier left wing in the league today..a real Hart candidate ..  I can see why people are nervous .we have a history of not being allowed to have nice things 

Yes, but, that's not to take away from it.

Gilmour (known, and high profile for both good and bad reasons)

Makarov (actually very similar with profile and age)

Iginla (full term, a known franchise prospect)

Kipper (we just didn't know it was high profile)

Lanny McDonald (maybe not for the points, but his goal scoring was unreal and so was the profile)

Cammallari was close but I'm just a fan

I'd add Hamilton to the list because Hamilton was full term

I still believe the most talented hockey player we ever had in the organization was Kent Nilsson, although Gaudreau has made me question that.

Again, not to take away from it.   Just respecting our history is all lol.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Lanny McDonald (maybe not for the points, but his goal scoring as unreal and so was the profile)

I still believe the most talented hockey player we ever had in the organization was Kent Nilsson, although Gaudreau has made me question that.

Absolutely .. the list is long of ones who became very high profile . I'm just looking strictly at the profile when we acquired them ..Like a major headline grabbing add of a player deemed to be one of the best in the league at their position .

and ya I would add Lanny and Makarov to that list 

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting wording.

If he hasn't signed by the time the season starts, I would be more concerned.  Make no mistake though, he will seriously consider a deal like what Tkachuk got or Gaudreau was offered.  He's not likely to pull a Gaudreau and want to hide from the limelight.  He's done with Florida.  A long term offer would be hard to pass up for the unknown of free agency or the potential of being traded again to 23 different teams.

12 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting wording.

I caught it but I don’t really think it means anything. I think the majority of athletes honestlh don’t care about their contracts, negotiations, long term future etc. I think they live more in the moment and just play the game. He’s getting ready to play this season and is probably pretty focused on that. 

I don’t get the sense he’s media savvy enough to drop that on purpose. 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

we were told there were no red flags coming into this off-season all the last 3 years. Many of us on the trade Johnny front saw it coming. It's easy to look at the situation and say, he almost signed and then almost signed again. Truth is, he fled. 

i hope they sign. Hockey players are nice. They are taught to say "the right thing." Just speak the truth at least to the GM. If I were huberdeau I'd not sign. I'd not see the Flames as a contender. Maybe with him and Weegar we are a bit closer, but there are holes in the lineup that really got exposed last playoff. Injuries happen to every team in the playoffs. If an injury breaks you, it means the team isn't deep enough. Deep teams go deeper.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Lanny McDonald (maybe not for the points, but his goal scoring was unreal and so was the profile)

i knew kipper was going to be good! Watched him in a sharks uniform in Van. He was so good in a 5-3 loss. Fans would be like, but he let in 5. But his mechanics were excellent! I sat upper deck behind him for two periods. I told my dad, wish the Flames had this guy, he's good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I caught it but I don’t really think it means anything. I think the majority of athletes honestlh don’t care about their contracts, negotiations, long term future etc. I think they live more in the moment and just play the game. He’s getting ready to play this season and is probably pretty focused on that. 

I don’t get the sense he’s media savvy enough to drop that on purpose. 

cant find it now, but saw a tweet shortly after he announced that said " how many minutes before people start overreacting to his choice of words"..LOL

54 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i knew kipper was going to be good! Watched him in a sharks uniform in Van. He was so good in a 5-3 loss. Fans would be like, but he let in 5. But his mechanics were excellent! I sat upper deck behind him for two periods. I told my dad, wish the Flames had this guy, he's good!

But he wasn't a High Profile acquisition .. that's what i was driving at 

32 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

But he wasn't a High Profile acquisition .. that's what i was driving at 

yup, I got it. 

not many. I feel the Flames have gone extreme safe on deals for the most part. 

We haven't found those players that make it once traded either, like a Zibenijad deal.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

yup, I got it. 

not many. I feel the Flames have gone extreme safe on deals for the most part. 

We haven't found those players that make it once traded either, like a Zibenijad deal.

The Flames have. Lindholm. He was a 45pt player in Carolina. He's put up seasons with 78 and 82 in Calgary. His lowest point total was the 56 game season and it's still higher than any total he had in Carolina. Never scored 20 in CAR, he has three seasons of more than 20 here and 19 in the Canadian division season, which was obviously only 56 games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I agree totally, and would also throw Theo Fleury into that mix as well.