Jonathan Huberdeau

Thebrewcrew

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya 100%... However, had Gaudreau told the hockey world about his decision about a week earlier, I do believe PHI would've had a full week to move out some bodies to sign him.  But in the 11th hour, PHI didn't have the time.  Gaudreau screwed himself too.  Everybody Including himself lost.  Even CBJ now has a player who never really wanted to be there in the first place.

Tkachuk, on the other hand, did the right thing and everybody won.  The Flames got a great return.  Tkachuk is playing where he wants to be.  Both teams and fans are pretty happy.

It makes it hard to even understand what was going through his head.

His agent was either incompetent or could not talk any sense into him.

Either way, he will be the highly paid guy that has to turn around a team.

Nash and Panarin didn't manage to do it.

Laine barely made a dent.

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya 100%... However, had Gaudreau told the hockey world about his decision about a week earlier, I do believe PHI would've had a full week to move out some bodies to sign him.  But in the 11th hour, PHI didn't have the time.  Gaudreau screwed himself too.  Everybody Including himself lost.  Even CBJ now has a player who never really wanted to be there in the first place.

Tkachuk, on the other hand, did the right thing and everybody won.  The Flames got a great return.  Tkachuk is playing where he wants to be.  Both teams and fans are pretty happy.

Philly had months of knowing their cap situation was going to be tight, they still had to know Gaudreau was still an option when they made the DeAngelo trade but made that one regardless.  They had a lot of time to try and move JVR but didn't want to pay the price.  

In the end we were given both a "its not you its me (Gaudreau)" and a "Its not me its you (Tkachuk)".  When both gave their end of season press conferences I think only one was genuine about being open to a long term deal, its just its the one with the worst communication skills. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

JG was down-to-the-wire offered what he wanted. Said no.

Now we want to paint this as, "oh such a hard decision". Whatever. Best of luck to Columbus dealing with a little kid afraid to get in trouble, then can't understand the backlash for wasting everyone's valuable time.

Sometimes, you've gotta call a spade a spade. Take us to the wire, we offer what you want, you still say no.

Thanks for the giant f%$& around.

This is exactly how I feel about JG and he was my favourite. LOL I don't disrespect him because he wanted what's best for his family. However, he was disingenuous on what he wants. This is a divorce that leaves a bitterness how it all went down.

I'm all about what is best for the team. Screws the individual's wants and needs. MT at least got what he wants and have a good bye gesture for us. Screw JG. 🙂

21 minutes ago, DHT said:

This is exactly how I feel about JG and he was my favourite. LOL I don't disrespect him because he wanted what's best for his family. However, he was disingenuous on what he wants. This is a divorce that leaves a bitterness how it all went down.

I'm all about what is best for the team. Screws the individual's wants and needs. MT at least got what he wants and have a good bye gesture for us. Screw JG. 🙂

I'm over it. He cold-d%%ked us with no lube. How would 31 other teams' fans feel? They know he f&%^@d us.

His little violin concerto is meaningless. Everyone knows that he bent us over.

So what? It makes us bigger people to say, "that's okay, we understand"?

It doesn't. He's a spineless pr!ck for leading us on. Again, "here's the overpayment" you want. He still said no.

I'm glad we know that now, we can move on. Good riddance. I won't boo him or cheer him. I'm indifferent.

I'm just happy to know Columbus' downtown is crime-riddled (I've been). Enjoy yourself.

Hockey fans are hockey fans. We gained a ton of pity. Now, it's, "right on Flames, make it work".

Very similar to NYI and Tavares. Outsiders are cheering for us.

• Like 2

I'll put it this way.. again not knocking Johnny , .. but this is the difference between an elite player you build your team around .and a great player who plays for your team..

Johnny regarding Columbus...

"They’ve always had great crowds, really into the game. I said to myself then, ‘This looks like a really fun place to play"

Huberdeau after signing...

This is a guy that not only can.. but wants to put the team on his back... We have been missing that for years since Iggy..  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

JG was down-to-the-wire offered what he wanted. Said no.

Now we want to paint this as, "oh such a hard decision". Whatever. Best of luck to Columbus dealing with a little kid afraid to get in trouble, then can't understand the backlash for wasting everyone's valuable time.

Sometimes, you've gotta call a spade a spade. Take us to the wire, we offer what you want, you still say no.

Thanks for the giant f%$& around.

I agree with your statement but he was allowed to have that much time. I get the professional curtiousy and I think its a lesson for everyone in the league. Had Tre imposed a deadline before the draft this could have turned out differently for mutiple sides. Other teams could have joined the arms race, cleared cap, moved players, engaged in conversations and dialouge, its a win for all sides. He is in CLB seems happy there and I do not discount the decison was tough, however, IMHO if donethe way I described we it shows professional conduct and business practices and would change the way business is done with more of a professional curtiousy than assest management. What is startling in all of whats happened, is MT sign and trade was the FIRST every done, crazy. 

1 minute ago, tmac70 said:

I agree with your statement but he was allowed to have that much time. I get the professional curtiousy and I think its a lesson for everyone in the league. Had Tre imposed a deadline before the draft this could have turned out differently for mutiple sides. Other teams could have joined the arms race, cleared cap, moved players, engaged in conversations and dialouge, its a win for all sides. He is in CLB seems happy there and I do not discount the decison was tough, however, IMHO if donethe way I described we it shows professional conduct and business practices and would change the way business is done with more of a professional curtiousy than assest management. What is startling in all of whats happened, is MT sign and trade was the FIRST every done, crazy. 

I think that's where I am.. like I mentioned once before there's right..and "allowed" ..

Johnny had full right to take it to the last second ... Just like Florida had full right to blindside Hubie with a trade .. Vegas had full right to trade Fleury and let him find out on twitter .. 

Tkachuk had full right to go down the same path..but he didn't ..never thought I'd call Chucky "classy' lol. 

but I agree they shouid have had an earlier deadline .. a mutual show of respect.. might it have pushed him sooner ? Maybe .. maybe Johnny might have gotten his wish and a sign and trade could have been done with Philly.. 

Unfortunately in this life sometimes showing respect gets you burned ..not sure i would change BTs nature of respecting players .. but I'll always believe Johnny could have done differently 

29 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think that's where I am.. like I mentioned once before there's right..and "allowed" ..

Johnny had full right to take it to the last second ... Just like Florida had full right to blindside Hubie with a trade .. Vegas had full right to trade Fleury and let him find out on twitter .. 

Tkachuk had full right to go down the same path..but he didn't ..never thought I'd call Chucky "classy' lol. 

but I agree they shouid have had an earlier deadline .. a mutual show of respect.. might it have pushed him sooner ? Maybe .. maybe Johnny might have gotten his wish and a sign and trade could have been done with Philly.. 

Unfortunately in this life sometimes showing respect gets you burned ..not sure i would change BTs nature of respecting players .. but I'll always believe Johnny could have done differently 

Well we can harp on Johnny for taking his time, but with Matthew I think we made out as good as could've been expected given the circumstances, but if he lets the team know earlier could've there been different options if you are actually shopping him at the draft or before free agency hits, for example NJ was rumored to be interested, Tre is under the impression Tkachuk wants to stay so they pivot and sign Palat, and trade for Vanacek and Marino, having a short list of teams to work with, a flat cap and a week after the start of free agency usually decreases your odds of getting a good return.  This is just one that so far looks like it could work out, but honestly better to have your trade requests before the draft.

Okay, so we signed the guy we like.  We lost a couple of guys that wanted to move on.

Time to move on.

We have a window, so let's use it.

We escaped $20M in contracts that would kill us.

They are costing less than $10M this season for both.

That's a win by itself.

Next year we gain space, so as long as we manage the cap for signings, we can add.

Adding to improve.

47 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Maybe a few more bad takes and he will eventually be known for more than being the guy traded for Tuukka Rask

so many players have summer homes in other places. They can keep their cars there. 

if we play the panthers in the playoffs they have cars and homes to stay in.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:07 PM, sak22 said:

Maybe a few more bad takes and he will eventually be known for more than being the guy traded for Tuukka Rask

It's been a fun few days seeing all of the bad take exposed.

The goalposts have moved now. It went from "he will never sign there" to "worst contract in the league". 

The truth is somewhere in the middle. It's a lot, but it's the cost of retaining elite talent, especially for a small market club. I also look at a market that is going to be completely changed soon. Mackinnon will reset the market. The year after it will be Matthews, followed by Draisaitl and then in 4 seasons, the big one, McDavid. While 10.5 is major commitment for a 29yr old, a 30yr old Leon Draisaitl will have 13-16m on the table for him in  three years. 

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's been a fun few days seeing all of the bad take exposed.

The goalposts have moved now. It went from "he will never sign there" to "worst contract in the league". 

The truth is somewhere in the middle. It's a lot, but it's the cost of retaining elite talent, especially for a small market club. I also look at a market that is going to be completely changed soon. Mackinnon will reset the market. The year after it will be Matthews, followed by Draisaitl and then in 4 seasons, the big one, McDavid. While 10.5 is major commitment for a 29yr old, a 30yr old Leon Draisaitl will have 13-16m on the table for him in  three years. 

The takes are always painful. I’m just thankful we have @sak22 & @Heartbreaker to provide some great comedy takes.

What’s laughable is down the road, these “hottake” clowns just wanna say, “I’ve been saying all along…” .

Mercifully, most don’t get the chance.

Sadly, it’s forgotten over time so they aren’t outted for being schleps.

But yeah, now it’s, “this contract won’t age well”. It’s painful. So many opinions, so little perception.

Next will be Weegar at 7-8 x $7.5. And they’ll tread on that too.

We’re giving them the contracts the PT-winning team couldn’t afford to for 2 of their top 4 players. So let’s move the goalposts, as you say.

Meanwhile, our D is pretty close to top-of-the-league now with a Vezina-caliber goalie. And we have options for offence and excess D.

We’re gonna be great.

Detroit is being called, “most improved” and I’d agree, but they still aren’t nearing the Flames.

I wish we could deal with them on D. But their contract tix are expiring around Veleno, Berggren, Wallinder, Zadina stepping up. Any 2 of which I’d take for Hanifin or Kylington. we still need a bit of youth, imho.

But I wonder how cheap Pius Suter might be right now? Fabbri?

Not big names, but solid middle 6 guys.

Detroit needs to start making room for the aforementioned young guys.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The takes are always painful. I’m just thankful we have @sak22 & @Heartbreaker to provide some great comedy takes.

What’s laughable is down the road, these “hottake” clowns just wanna say, “I’ve been saying all along…” .

But yeah, now it’s, “this contract won’t age well”. It’s painful. So many opinions, so little perception.

We’re giving them the contracts the PT-winning team couldn’t afford to for 2 of their top 4 players. So let’s move the goalposts, as you say.

Meanwhile, our D is pretty close to top-of-the-league now with a Vezina-caliber goalie. And we have options for offence and excess D.

We’re gonna be great.

Detroit is being called, “most improved” and I’d agree, but they still aren’t nearing the Flames.

I wish we could deal with them on D. But their contract tix are expiring around Veleno, Berggren, Wallinder, Zadina stepping up. Any 2 of which I’d take for Hanifin or Kylington. we still need a bit of youth, imho.

I know you're a Wings fan, but dealing with Yzerman scares me. He always seems to win his trades haha. I think he's the best GM in the league and frankly it bothers me he doesn't get the credit he deserves for building TB. It's his team, Brisebois put the finishing touches on it.

I agree though, just wait until if/when Weegar is extended. Folks will scream "overpay", likely the Sens fans that are begging for him to come home. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

We’re gonna be great.

DET is making me wonder if they are goingfor it or not.  Perron and Copp.  Copp is long term, but Perron 2 years.  ABout the only thing I would want to do is deal them Monahan.  Then you could watch him more often without staying up half the night.  Not an ideal trade chip for us, so I don't know if we get bent over or not.  If so, I just pass on it.

Ws readin a FLA blogger about moving on from Hubie and Weegs.  Either he is a toad, or thinks they won the lotto.  Expects Tkachuk to turn the franchise around.  I think we know what to expect.  Flash and some slow skating.  And a greasy guy against Tampa.  His buddy Sammy will have to fight for him every night.  

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

DET is making me wonder if they are goingfor it or not.  Perron and Copp.  Copp is long term, but Perron 2 years.  ABout the only thing I would want to do is deal them Monahan.  Then you could watch him more often without staying up half the night.  Not an ideal trade chip for us, so I don't know if we get bent over or not.  If so, I just pass on it.

Ws readin a FLA blogger about moving on from Hubie and Weegs.  Either he is a toad, or thinks they won the lotto.  Expects Tkachuk to turn the franchise around.  I think we know what to expect.  Flash and some slow skating.  And a greasy guy against Tampa.  His buddy Sammy will have to fight for him every night.  

They have no use for Mony at this point. We need to keep him or we're sending picks with him for everyone's fave, "future considerations". His only value right now is turning it around with us.

Both he and Lucic are cap dumps currently. We'd have to send picks and there is no return. Need to let them play out their contracts.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

They have no use for Mony at this point. We need to keep him or we're sending picks with him for everyone's fave, "future considerations". His only value right now is turning it around with us.

Both he and Lucic are cap dumps currently. We'd have to send picks and there is no return. Need to let them play out their contracts.

It is bewildering to me that everyone wants to trade Monahan (not really everyone of course), who has no trade value and really, should be a sentimental fan favorite to anyone who's been around for a few years.... given that the return would be zero or worse than zero.

But when it was suggested for the last 2-3 years to trade Tkachuk, or Gaudreau, who we could have gotten any return we wanted no matter how big, almost everyone was disgusted at the idea (not actually everyone).

I used to think it was sentimental attachment, but those same people will actually pay a price to dump Monahan, so it ain't that.    People just are wired to sell at the bottom and buy at the top, I guess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

It is bewildering to me that everyone wants to trade Monahan (not really everyone of course), who has no trade value and really, should be a sentimental fan favorite to anyone who's been around for a few years.... given that the return would be zero or worse than zero.

I concur. I shouldn't pretend that I have any idea what his value would be if the Flames decided to trade him, but I can't imagine it'd be a great return. If his surgeries all went well, and he's had a good offseason, I'd keep him seven days a week. I think he's a guy you'd want around the team, and he's earned a right to be there. Personally, I have nothing but praise for the guy, and if he can't play hockey anymore, then give him a job if he wants it. 

Also, I have four Flames jerseys. Two 13s, a 19, and a 23. Please don't make the entire set obsolete in one summer. My wife will have a sh!tf!t when she sees the credit card statement after my next trip to FanAttic. 

Love. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2022 at 8:33 AM, travel_dude said:

The rumors of an OS were overblown I thought.

It's predatory and backfires most of the time.

STL had zero ability to manage the OS.

Only offer they could make was over $10.5M AAV over 5 years.

And all it does is guarantee we get Tkachuk for 5 years at a max.

But, Johnny did Johnny.

That's his choice.

We get the guy that wants to be here and isn't going to be pushed around.

Complete player vs two trick pony.

Horse vs pony.

I usually give Friedman a little more rope then most.. hes usually pretty reliable when he's willing to give details ..

It was reported that it was an 8. Something.. would have netted us a 1,2 and 3.. which the flames wouid have certainly matched ..but the kicker is that it was a  one year and had the flames matched they'd be unable to trade him so st Louis wouid just sign him next year . .. and Matthew was willing to sign it .. 

The flames filing for arb put a wrench in that ( and to give credit tkachuk and the agent are the ones that brought it to BT).. suddenly they had to move Tarasenko and scandella just to make room and on the flipside couldn't offer Calgary anything better ..

Knowing st Louis wouid try and be all in at some point is likely what made Florida open the bank on a deal .

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I usually give Friedman a little more rope then most.. hes usually pretty reliable when he's willing to give details ..

It was reported that it was an 8. Something.. would have netted us a 1,2 and 3.. which the flames wouid have certainly matched ..but the kicker is that it was a  one year and had the flames matched they'd be unable to trade him so st Louis wouid just sign him next year . .. and Matthew was willing to sign it .. 

The flames filing for arb put a wrench in that ( and to give credit tkachuk and the agent are the ones that brought it to BT).. suddenly they had to move Tarasenko and scandella just to make room and on the flipside couldn't offer Calgary anything better ..

Knowing st Louis wouid try and be all in at some point is likely what made Florida open the bank on a deal .

The rumor was 8, but STL had no ability to do 8 on an OS.  No 2nd.  So, they couldn't (before or after the draft) do any OS unless it was over 10.5, which was 4 x 1st.  Maybe they were looking at 5 x 10.6 but that isn't likely they felt he was worth 4 x 1st.

I give Friendman some credit, but I don't buy into any OS that was less than 10.6.  I don't know why STL would hant to do 5 @ 10.6.  

23 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Unless they had a plan to re acquire their pick St. Louis wouldn’t have been able to offer that. They don’t have their 2nd rounder next year.