Jonathan Huberdeau

Thebrewcrew

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Could go both ways.  Could be that Huberdeau wants a trade to Montreal or that he wants to go to Montreal next summer.  In any event, good to see the two talk it out.

I will be very surprised if he ends up in MTL

- they aren't a good team. He's played on a lot of bad FLA teams, doubt he has the appetite to go back to that

- the expectations for a French-Canadian star in MTL will be through the roof. Regardless of how well he played, it wouldn't be enough

John Tavares goes to the Leafs and now there's this fixation that every player wants to go home. Pietrangelo didn't, Tkachuk and Gaudreau didn't. It rarely happens

42 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Could go both ways.  Could be that Huberdeau wants a trade to Montreal or that he wants to go to Montreal next summer.  In any event, good to see the two talk it out.

More than likely means the framework of what a deal would look like is close (Walsh and BT have been talking since the day after the trade) now he probabaly wants to meet in person so he can build a bond and give him the assurances that with him here long term there will be no rebuild anytime soon ..

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

As long as Brad picks up the tab.  Strange how he is pictured in Yellowhead County here then is in MTL for dinner.  Oh the marvels of jet travel.  Hope he didn't get hung up in PET Airport.

I believe the poster was likely from there ..that's his workout crew in Montreal 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

More than likely means the framework of what a deal would look like is close (Walsh and BT have been talking since the day after the trade) now he probabaly wants to meet in person so he can build a bond and give him the assurances that with him here long term there will be no rebuild anytime soon ..

I believe the poster was likely from there ..that's his workout crew in Montreal 

Ahh, makes a little more sense then. 

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I know this is making the rounds as a good

source of jokes .. but i think people are missing what a powerplay this is ..

Johnny signed his last extension shortly after a personal visit from Brad ..  Austin Czarnik chose Calgary over 20 other teams because he and Peter's showed up at his door .. 

Tbh..if I give blame to BT over Johnnys leaving it's that he didn't go see him personally in the buildup to the end ..if he was that back and forth he likely wouid have swayed .. 

BT gets a lot of flak for sometimes not making the cold business decisions but one of his strengths is the rapport he builds .. even in his pressers he hates the word "assets" .  And after getting the blindside phone call at 11pm from his team to learn he was just traded .  that's likely a good thing for Huberdeau to feel 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Johnny signed his last extension shortly after a personal visit from Brad ..  Austin Czarnik chose Calgary over 20 other teams because he and Peter's showed up at his door .. 

Tbh..if I give blame to BT over Johnnys leaving it's that he didn't go see him personally in the buildup to the end ..if he was that back and forth he likely wouid have swayed .. 

BT gets a lot of flak for sometimes not making the cold business decisions but one of his strengths is the rapport he builds .. even in his pressers he hates the word "assets" .  And after getting the blindside phone call at 11pm from his team to learn he was just traded .  that's likely a good thing for Huberdeau to feel 

It's smart business.  Talk to the guy, see what he thinks about things.  See what's important to him.  Hubie does some work for his hometown, giving back, so we need to respect that.

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I do give full credit to BT for keeping in touch with his players as human beings.

Definitely a strength of his.

I do think it's possible to have both though.   Treat the players like people but also understand their asset value, and associated risks.    

At the end of the day, a Huberdeau-led team will be better than a JG-led team imho.

I think the best way to put it:

JG gets angry. He sulks and squawks. Nobody, but nobody, cares about him forechecking without the puck, he avoids any physicality. He's a great 30g 60a guy.

JH gets angry. He terrorizes. He will fight you. He will hawk you. He will level you on the forecheck and take the puck. He's a great 30g 60a guy.

So which would you rather.

Also:

JG: walked away. His choice, life is beautiful.

JH: feels Blockchained over. He'll be driving nails this year to fill Panthers fans with outrage.

This is going to be so fun to watch. I think only Panarin is a better LWer than Huberdeau. Is he better than a deeply offended Huberdeau? Hmmmm....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

At the end of the day, a Huberdeau-led team will be better than a JG-led team imho.

I think the best way to put it:

JG gets angry. He sulks and squawks. Nobody, but nobody, cares about him forechecking without the puck, he avoids any physicality. He's a great 30g 60a guy.

JH gets angry. He terrorizes. He will fight you. He will hawk you. He will level you on the forecheck and take the puck. He's a great 30g 60a guy.

So which would you rather.

Also:

JG: walked away. His choice, life is beautiful.

JH: feels Blockchained over. He'll be driving nails this year to fill Panthers fans with outrage.

This is going to be so fun to watch. I think only Panarin is a better LWer than Huberdeau. Is he better than a deeply offended Huberdeau? Hmmmm....

I'm with ya 99%..  we did see a very reinvented Johnny this past year .. he was actually doing all those things.. but that's also what I think people forgot in the emotion of the offseason.. he spent the last 7 years being very good but not elite .  Huberdeau has an aura about him..a swagger we really need here that will be contagious. I'm looking forward to it ..

Johnny needed to be motivated .. Huberdeau will drag you with him 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm with ya 99%..  we did see a very reinvented Johnny this past year .. he was actually doing all those things.. but that's also what I think people forgot in the emotion of the offseason.. he spent the last 7 years being very good but not elite .  Huberdeau has an aura about him..a swagger we really need here that will be contagious. I'm looking forward to it ..

Johnny needed to be motivated .. Huberdeau will drag you with him 

Tell me you've watched Florida games without telling me that you've watched Florida games. When Huberdeau hit his stride a few short years ago, he was the most deeply underrated player at the time. What? 2-3 years ago?

Now it's ALL on Barkov(my fave player) to be ultra-creative without him. Should be interesting.

Ever seen JH pp AND pk?

Okay, well. Get ready to see it. AAAALLLLL situation player (directed @ everyone).

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Tell me you've watched Florida games without telling me that you've watched Florida games. When Huberdeau hit his stride a few short years ago, he was the most deeply underrated player at the time. What? 2-3 years ago?

Now it's ALL on Barkov(my fave player) to be ultra-creative without him. Should be interesting.

Ever seen JH pp AND pk?

Okay, well. Get ready to see it. AAAALLLLL situation player (directed @ everyone).

Bennet looked like a #1 center playing with him .  Nuff said lol..  check Bennett's stats after the trade deadline , when Giroux bumped Bennett off that line .. Sammy of old ..

A lot was made of Johnny's high 5x5 points.. phenomenal achievement yes, not taking away from it. But when powerplay ended up being our acchilles heel in the playoffs where was our best player on the powerplay?  Hubie will help that 

53 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

PK 1

Huberdeau-Lindholm

Weegar-Tanev

Massive threats on turnovers, you better be conservative.

PK 2

Mangiapane-Backlund

Hanifin-Andersson.

Be careful.

Our pk is a legitimate threat to score.

Bottom 6 need to hold the play to 0-0 or 5-5, either way.

Interesting looks.  Is Meloche much of a PK'er?   Would need to be 3rd PK perhaps, since we have 3 RHS in the top 2 PK's.  I do like the idea of Mang/Backs together.  One can take the puck end to end and cut in, while the other can beat you to the outside and get a shot away,

I am really interested in the PP deployments.  Need at least two scoring threats out there besides Jonny.  Lindholm is one.  Is the other Mange or Toffoli?  Who can get in the eyes of the goalie and be there for tips and garbage detail.  Coleman comes to mind, but not usually PP1.  

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Interesting looks.  Is Meloche much of a PK'er?   Would need to be 3rd PK perhaps, since we have 3 RHS in the top 2 PK's.  I do like the idea of Mang/Backs together.  One can take the puck end to end and cut in, while the other can beat you to the outside and get a shot away,

I am really interested in the PP deployments.  Need at least two scoring threats out there besides Jonny.  Lindholm is one.  Is the other Mange or Toffoli?  Who can get in the eyes of the goalie and be there for tips and garbage detail.  Coleman comes to mind, but not usually PP1.  

The pp needs some consideration for sure. Hopefully the kickback dies off considerably with JG gone in favour of balancing o-zone entries with more than one trick.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

The pp needs some consideration for sure. Hopefully the kickback dies off considerably with JG gone in favour of balancing o-zone entries with more than one trick.

I was not a big fan of JG being the QB.  You could almost predict the passing sequences two passes ahead.  It was the same look every time once we had possession.  We lose Tkachuk, who spent too much times in one spot.  Too much back and forth around the boards.  Would be nice to have a LHS C out there to spell off Lindholm, but also be 2 feet away from the net.  That used to be Monahan's rental space.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I was not a big fan of JG being the QB.  You could almost predict the passing sequences two passes ahead.  It was the same look every time once we had possession.  We lose Tkachuk, who spent too much times in one spot.  Too much back and forth around the boards.  Would be nice to have a LHS C out there to spell off Lindholm, but also be 2 feet away from the net.  That used to be Monahan's rental space.

i think Johnny should've been behind the net on the PP and they shifted side to side and he could have attacked  from the left or right of the net as he pooped out. 

i hope they can get the PP moving more this season. Stationary becomes easy to stop. You look at McKinnon and the guy is flying around the ice. Same with McDicks

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i think Johnny should've been behind the net on the PP and they shifted side to side and he could have attacked  from the left or right of the net as he pooped out. 

i hope they can get the PP moving more this season. Stationary becomes easy to stop. You look at McKinnon and the guy is flying around the ice. Same with McDicks

Oilers PP is predictive.  Get the puck to McD.  Other option is the point shot.

McD is creative and draws defenders, rightly so.

But they fail in that they don't take him out of the play in the first place.

JG was prone to being attacked.  If we wasn't able to escape coverage, it was shut down.

Way too much playing catch.

The most successful plays was a guy sneaking into the slot.

Hitting that from the half circle was not very high %.

I think they need to revamp the coaching of the PP.

Muller was the guy IIRC.

Look around the league at what works.

And evaluate what we have now to use.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Oilers PP is predictive.  Get the puck to McD.  Other option is the point shot.

McD is creative and draws defenders, rightly so.

But they fail in that they don't take him out of the play in the first place.

JG was prone to being attacked.  If we wasn't able to escape coverage, it was shut down.

Way too much playing catch.

The most successful plays was a guy sneaking into the slot.

Hitting that from the half circle was not very high %.

I think they need to revamp the coaching of the PP.

Muller was the guy IIRC.

Look around the league at what works.

And evaluate what we have now to use.

makes sense. 

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think we now have the option of not needing 4 fwds on the PP.

Maybe 

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Weegar-Anderson?

PP2 is a bit of a crapshoot.

Mony and Dube are huge question marks this season.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I think we now have the option of not needing 4 fwds on the PP.

Maybe 

Weegar-Anderson?

PP2 is a bit of a crapshoot.

Mony and Dube are huge question marks this season.

We have the option of using one of the D on PP2 as well.

I wasn't a big fan of Hanifin on it.

Kylington was dynamic, but started overplaying everything but the carry in.

I know things can change with one trade or one signing, but....

PP1

Mangiapane

Weegar

PP2

Coleman

?-Backlund-Kylington

Ras

? could be Dube or Rozie or Pelletier.

Just like the idea of a great skater near the blueline.

And Kyl has a decent shot, nicer to see it from the offwing.

All this does is illustrate that we are down a RHS C/RW. 

The answer is probably staring us right in the face.lol

I still think Dube will hit his stride. That kid does too much well to not quite get there. He just got a full season with Sutter. He’s been told.

Offseasons are a huge deal.

FA&FO territory.

There’s a world of make or break that happens in the offseason.

Kind of why I like

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Dube

I want a roster putting our best learner with our best players while they’re here.

Source: Penguins

They’ve elevated a lot of young players by giving them primo chances with their best.

Great map.