Jonathan Huberdeau

Thebrewcrew

If the going rate for him is $10M x  7 years (more than what Tkachuk and Johnny got). If we were to give him the 8th year; I wonder if he would consider $8.5 AAV and structure it the same way Tkachuk did,  $1M in salary each year, leaving him $60 M in guaranteed money no matter if there was a work stoppage or Covid. 
That would be one way to win that trade long term. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zima said:

Yes I know they are Canadian but I also know they would rather not pay tax although I know Canada still require them to pay tax even though they play in the states I don't know the amount I don't think it is as high as if they play here in canada. I believe most canadians prefer to play in the states and yes some will play here but it seems to be getting worse for this end of canada to get players to want to play here JH toke millions less to play in the states why is that do you think? 

Why did two US players decide to leave?  Many reasons.  Why is Toronto able to sign players.  Or Vancouver.  Or Montreal?

Just now, zima said:

Then explain why our 2 best players left this city and it is getting harder to get quality players to want to play here? Only only going by what I'm hearing on sports news and on line?

there's your problem :)      Coleman is from Dallas.. he chose Calgary over Tampa 

12 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

If the going rate for him is $10M x  7 years (more than what Tkachuk and Johnny got). If we were to give him the 8th year; I wonder if he would consider $8.5 AAV and structure it the same way Tkachuk did,  $1M in salary each year, leaving him $60 M in guaranteed money no matter if there was a work stoppage or Covid. 
That would be one way to win that trade long term. 

Yes, you can use the extra year to bring down the AAV.  If Tkachuk got $9.5M x 8, why do you think Hubie should sign for less AAV?  The structure of the deal may be important, but the total and best years pay means something too.

3 minutes ago, zima said:

Then explain why our 2 best players left this city and it is getting harder to get quality players to want to play here? Only only going by what I'm hearing on sports news and on line?

One was a jerk, who decided he wanted to take his toys and live the high life in South Florida.  The other made what he described as a family decision to live where his family could easily visit.  This has been discussed to death in other threads.  If Hubie doesn't want to sign, it has nothing to do with Tkachuk or Gaudreau's reasons.  

One thing to point out with Huberdeau that while he is the born in the same year as Gaudreau he is hitting UFA one year later. So the 8th year offer that took Gadureau to 37 takes Huberdeau to 38. 

If the Flames are offering the 8th year then the AAV should absolutely come down as they are buying what is in all very likely a retirement year or a year of not top line play. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

One thing to point out with Huberdeau that while he is the born in the same year as Gaudreau he is hitting UFA one year later. So the 8th year offer that took Gadureau to 37 takes Huberdeau to 38. 

If the Flames are offering the 8th year then the AAV should absolutely come down as they are buying what is in all very likely a retirement year or a year of not top line play. 

I don't know if I would sign him for the extra year.  The only reason to do it with Gaudreau was to bring the AAV down a bit and to ensure he retired a Flame.  In hindsight, had we been able to just sign Gaudreau for the extra year, we may not be talking about Gaudreau at all.  

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yup. I'm all for it. If Calgary fans want to relive Iggy's tenacity, that's exactly what you get in Huberdeau.

It's going to be mega-intense vs Edmonton and Colorado now. Huberdeau is waaaaay more take charge then both JG or Tkachuk.

What an acquisition(s). This is going to be awesome.

My opinion, Fla's going to take a massive hit in the standings. I think Zito just effed up big time. I expected him to match Barkov's $10 x 8 extension for Huberdeau.

BT got insane return for Tkachuk. I'm still in total shock. This is our Gilmour for Leeman trade in reverse. BT even said other offers weren't close. Well no Satoshi Nakamoto.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yup. I'm all for it. If Calgary fans want to relive Iggy's tenacity, that's exactly what you get in Huberdeau.

It's going to be mega-intense vs Edmonton and Colorado now. Huberdeau is waaaaay more take charge then both JG or Tkachuk.

What an acquisition(s). This is going to be awesome.

My opinion, Fla's going to take a massive hit in the standings. I think Zito just effed up big time. I expected him to match Barkov's $10 x 8 extension for Huberdeau.

BT got insane return for Tkachuk. I'm still in total shock. This is our Gilmour for Leeman trade in reverse. BT even said other offers weren't close. Well no Satoshi Nakamoto.

I wouldn't have a problem with 10x8.  It's not a big deal to me.  He could be easily worth that final year actual salary.  I mean sure there is some risk that they don't re-sign, but I think that is limited.  Show them you are willing to spend on the team to improve it.  Not just on these two.  Excess D?  Okay, so bring in a forward.  The country club has closed membership.  No room to carry 10D and then lose a couple for nothing.

We won't have the Tkachuk vs McD or Draisaitl antics.  It will be more of best on best.  And their best better show up.  The last BOA of the season and first of the playoffs was embarrassing.  We might still score 8, but I doubt they get more than 1 in that kind of game.

We may soon be able to restart the Positivity thread up.  Let's see what the summer brings with it.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think the biggest losers in this will be half of Florida's roster. The biggest winners will be half of Calgary's roster.

Were Bennett or Duclair 2nd line NHLers prior to Huberdeau?

I question if Duclair was even an NHLer at all.

I wish Lomberg had been a throw in.lol

They sold their soul for Tkachuk.

Look at that blueline. It's Ekblad and everyone else. Forsling is fine.

If they go Tkachuk-Barkov-Reinhart, that's an awesome line. But then you're 2nd line is Verhaege-Lundell-? Not as deep as they were a year ago.

Can't make any significant in-season moves because they have no 1st's

Don't think they're doing much winning of cups with Bob at this stage in his career either. 

Other posters have been on top of this

Most recent example was Seth Jones last year.

It's very beneficial to the Flames.

I'd imagine the Flames throw 10.5x8 at Huberdeau, knowing that's the most money any team will offer. As we saw with Gaudreau, in this cap environment, it's unlikely any club can match 84mill. It's an even better deal for Huberdeau because it pays him until age 38. I think he will age well as a player, but not quite that well. That's a win for the player. 

Some interesting tidbits from Allan Walsh, Hubie's agent:

Walsh also revealed that Calgary Flames GM Brad Treliving had no conversations with him before the surprise trade was completed. Treliving made the move knowing there was a chance he could be renting Huberdeau and top defenceman MacKenzie Weegar. They both could test unrestricted free agency next summer.

“Calgary accepted the fact there was no conversations with me or Jonathan before making the trade and had no idea whether he would be open to staying in Calgary or not,” Walsh told Wylde.

“(Huberdeau) said very publicly, very honestly, with no agenda, transparently — I am open in spending the next many years in Calgary.

“He spoke it. I work for him. My job is to accomplish his goals. It’s (about) what he wants. And he is open to staying in Calgary. We’ll see what happens from here.”

Yeah, the only one’s saying 1 or both won’t stay here are fans with no knowledge in the matter, just opinions.

It’s been an offseason of despair. It’s easy get down. This trade was awesome. Huberdeau will be fascinating to watch in Flames silks. Not sure the Flames have ever had a total beast of a player like him. some players help others point totals, few actually make them better players. He is the latter.

Just to have him here as a teacher is epic.

I’d honestly take him and Weegar longterm at $17mil per vs JG & Tkachuk at $20 mil.

I think we got better in team dynamics.

• Like 1

In all respect how does any one turn down that offer. There is a risk they may walk than do what you can to create an enviroment that they don't. When the emotions settle down both players have to be greatful that BT belived enough in the to take the shot. Both speak of they are not opposed to staying, could be hot air take it in stride. You can 't paint everyone with the same brush, so unless other wise proven take what they say as truth, they wish to sign long term and help the team. Both sound like they wish to play for a contender, than make a contender.  BT's job is to make the team into a contender, whether it cost him his job or not. Trevling is in a better spot now than he was 3 weeks ago, this just goes to show that how bad it was it got better pretty fast. 

In order to be a contender you have to be a gambler, Tre in this situation right now in a spot to put up or shut up.  IMHO and this will ensite the burn it to the ground club, you go for it. Your in a better spot now than last season by having these two. What does this club look like with a Kadri in it, or P Kane on it? Just the addition of someone like that moves you up the ladder. P Kane and Toews don't want to be part of what Chi is doing, than toss some chum out to CHI and Kane. 

Hubie Lindholm Kane

Mags Kadri Toffoli

45 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Tre in this situation right now in a spot to put up or shut up.

Starting with the Florida 1st in 2025 what do you think it would cost for a 1 year rental of Toews and Kane @ 50% from Chicago ? I think they would waive their NMC for a 1 year rental to the same contending team. Would put us over the top.

Hub Lind Kane is a better 1st line than we had last year. 

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

Starting with the Florida 1st in 2025 what do you think it would cost for a 1 year rental of Toews and Kane @ 50% from Chicago ? I think they would waive their NMC for a 1 year rental to the same contending team. Would put us over the top.

Hub Lind Kane is a better 1st line than we had last year. 

Kane is not as interested in moving on as Toews.  That's a swing for the fences deal, but clearly not even close to enough.  I also think you have to be strategic in what you look for.  A top RW gives us one line scoring again.  After that the dropoff is steep.  I would be more inclined to make a couple of smaller moves with no drama next summer.

Necas in a trade, see what it costs.  He's going to be good for a long time and could take a big step this year.  Perfect 3C that gives us a better 2nd scoring line.  Sign a FA bottom 6 guy.  Johan Larsson and Milano come to mind.  Rodriguez could be a fit too on the wing.  Necas might cost Valimaki + Dube + a prospect, but gives us years to compete with.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah, the only one’s saying 1 or both won’t stay here are fans with no knowledge in the matter, just opinions.

It’s been an offseason of despair. It’s easy get down. This trade was awesome. Huberdeau will be fascinating to watch in Flames silks. Not sure the Flames have ever had a total beast of a player like him. some players help others point totals, few actually make them better players. He is the latter.

Just to have him here as a teacher is epic.

I’d honestly take him and Weegar longterm at $17mil per vs JG & Tkachuk at $20 mil.

I think we got better in team dynamics.

Fleury, but they hedged on Fleury so much that they let the others go. Not sure if it was economy or Fleury's ego. Huberdeau is probably better than Fleury. 

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Fleury, but they hedged on Fleury so much that they let the others go. Not sure if it was economy or Fleury's ego. Huberdeau is probably better than Fleury. 

Different era for players.  No way to really compare the two in the modern game.  Even Iggy was mostly before the modern game.  Back then 50 goals was meh.  My opinion, but the important thing to do is compare what he can do in Gaudreau's spot.  Can he turn Lindy into a 50 goal guy or perhaps Mangiapane into a 40 goal guy.  Can he score more than 40 himself, since we seem to have had a lot of odd man rushes that were missed chances.  Gaudreau was way better last year on breakaways, but still was about 1 for 5.  I would expect more 2 on 1 rushes this year.  Tkachuk was blindingly slow.  No, I don't want to see 5 passes between 3 players, but we always seemed to have one guy with the puck right to the bitter end.  Mangiapane may not be the right guy with him, nor may Toffoli be.  It's important that we have enough options that we don't default to one guy just because there is nobody else in the lineup.

To answer a question from elsewhere, we have taken two steps to become a contender.  We probably need at least one more.  The current version of Monahan and Lucic are not what a contender has.    

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Different era for players.  No way to really compare the two in the modern game.  Even Iggy was mostly before the modern game.  Back then 50 goals was meh.  My opinion, but the important thing to do is compare what he can do in Gaudreau's spot.  Can he turn Lindy into a 50 goal guy or perhaps Mangiapane into a 40 goal guy.  Can he score more than 40 himself, since we seem to have had a lot of odd man rushes that were missed chances.  Gaudreau was way better last year on breakaways, but still was about 1 for 5.  I would expect more 2 on 1 rushes this year.  Tkachuk was blindingly slow.  No, I don't want to see 5 passes between 3 players, but we always seemed to have one guy with the puck right to the bitter end.  Mangiapane may not be the right guy with him, nor may Toffoli be.  It's important that we have enough options that we don't default to one guy just because there is nobody else in the lineup.

To answer a question from elsewhere, we have taken two steps to become a contender.  We probably need at least one more.  The current version of Monahan and Lucic are not what a contender has.    

Bring up an older example:     "Different era, no way to compare"

Bring up a current example:  "Too soon to say"

Bring up a prospect example:   "Won't know for years"

Seriously common man, this is professional dodging  😅

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/stats/2001-2002

Exactly 1 50-goal scorer in the game.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/stats/2022-2023

Four of these mo-fos.

I do feel like the "different era" theme is used just a tad too much on here for otherwise indefensible arguments.

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

the questio/comment  was ever had a player like this. So I go as far back as '89 to remember. In terms of wow factor and excitement, it was Fleury regardless of era. Were their other players? Probably. I mean, I only started liking them in round one of cup year because my whole family were going for the Canucks. I don't know why I decided to dislike the Canucks. 

it is very obvious we haven't had a player like Huberdeau. Johnny could be unreal at times, but passed instead of shot a lot of the time. 

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Bring up an older example:     "Different era, no way to compare"

Bring up a current example:  "Too soon to say"

Bring up a prospect example:   "Won't know for years"

Seriously common man, this is professional dodging  😅

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/stats/2001-2002

Exactly 1 50-goal scorer in the game.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/nhl/stats/2022-2023

Four of these mo-fos.

I do feel like the "different era" theme is used just a tad too much on here for otherwise indefensible arguments.

Much like most of your arguments using tired examples about a wide range of topics.  All you ever need say is we should rebuild and leave it at that.  You will only ever be happy when we pick your picks, sign the fringe players that didn't get drafted y 32 team or were let go, and draft one of the many generational players each year.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

the questio/comment  was ever had a player like this. So I go as far back as '89 to remember. In terms of wow factor and excitement, it was Fleury regardless of era. Were their other players? Probably. I mean, I only started liking them in round one of cup year because my whole family were going for the Canucks. I don't know why I decided to dislike the Canucks. 

You came to your senses obviously.  I think it's difficult to compare because unless you watched every minute of every game back then, we don't have a fair comp.  I was a Fleury and Big Al fan back then, and later Iggy.  But I also didn't see a lot of coverage.