Jonathan Huberdeau

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

yup, I think that's good or fair size. I get that about both, being too good. Mangiapane was brought in the way a lot on here want prospects to be brought in. 4th line, worked his way up. It's been great seeing it. Is Pelletier ready for it?

is Backlund that player still that mentors young players?

after looking at the roster, if we are ok with Backs being #2C again, we are really a 3rd line C or Winger away. But needs to be a passer. 

I don't always agree that a player needs to start on a 4th line.  That is not really Sutter's way.  He prefers offense/defensive players be ready for top 9.  Ruzie was at times used on the 4th line, but Sutter was not a fan of it.  You can learn there, but you lose some of the offense by doing it.  Mange did okay because we had more of an offensive bottom 6.  If we were to use a 4th scoring line, that changes things.  No Lucic.

Keeping Mange with Coleman and Backs is a fine alternative, assuming we don't bring in a top 6 C.  If we did, I would use Pelletier-C-Toffoli and move Mange to top line.  Backlund would be him + Coleman plus new Mange.  Could be Dube or Crouse.  Or we use Crouse on 2nd line and Pelts with Backlund.  

Lots of options, but we have to figure out if we are adding to it from trade/UFA or from within.  At the very least we have to do a trade of one or more D.  

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't always agree that a player needs to start on a 4th line.  That is not really Sutter's way.  He prefers offense/defensive players be ready for top 9.  Ruzie was at times used on the 4th line, but Sutter was not a fan of it.  You can learn there, but you lose some of the offense by doing it.  Mange did okay because we had more of an offensive bottom 6.  If we were to use a 4th scoring line, that changes things.  No Lucic.

Keeping Mange with Coleman and Backs is a fine alternative, assuming we don't bring in a top 6 C.  If we did, I would use Pelletier-C-Toffoli and move Mange to top line.  Backlund would be him + Coleman plus new Mange.  Could be Dube or Crouse.  Or we use Crouse on 2nd line and Pelts with Backlund.  

Lots of options, but we have to figure out if we are adding to it from trade/UFA or from within.  At the very least we have to do a trade of one or more D.  

need trade at least to swap cap space or make space. BT really put himself in a position of strength and especially if he can sign Huberdeau and Weegar. I'm interested to see if they'll want to use all RSD on RD. Who is the odd man out as they'd all be vying for more than 20min per. Although, if they average everyone at that, no one gets tired in the long run.

but Trading D can add to our Top9. Can we do a 1st and a middle 6 for Hanifin? Is that enough return? 

is Andersson the odd guy out if we want to keep things even on LD/RD?

id really hate to trade Andersson. But what kind of a haul would he command in a trade?

19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

need trade at least to swap cap space or make space. BT really put himself in a position of strength and especially if he can sign Huberdeau and Weegar. I'm interested to see if they'll want to use all RSD on RD. Who is the odd man out as they'd all be vying for more than 20min per. Although, if they average everyone at that, no one gets tired in the long run.

but Trading D can add to our Top9. Can we do a 1st and a middle 6 for Hanifin? Is that enough return? 

is Andersson the odd guy out if we want to keep things even on LD/RD?

id really hate to trade Andersson. But what kind of a haul would he command in a trade?

I don't think there is any kind of appetite to trade Ras.  Top scoring D, need more like him not less.  But LD is more stacked than before.  Weeger is use to it.  Weeger/Hanifin/Kylington/Zadorov/Valimaki/Mackey is too much depth for one side.  RD is Ras/Tanev/Meloche.  Nothing wrong with that.  I would put Meloche as more NHL 3rd pair ready than Valimaki/Mackey.  

So, to me, we should trade one of Hanifin or Kylington.  And one of Valimaki or Mackey.  We would have 6 NHL D and one spare.  It's tough to trade away depth, but I don't see any way to keep them all.  Even if we keep 7 NHL D and one spare, we have to pick one D to be traded and try to fit in 8 guys into a 6 man rotation.  That works with a guy like Stone, but not so much for the ex-AHL guys.

Obviously, if Weeger is not a long term asset, then we need to rethink that.  But, I would suggest he was a big part of the trade and a huge need for this team.  They will offer him the biggest Flames D salary.  I can't see him turning that down.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think there is any kind of appetite to trade Ras.  Top scoring D, need more like him not less.  But LD is more stacked than before.  Weeger is use to it.  Weeger/Hanifin/Kylington/Zadorov/Valimaki/Mackey is too much depth for one side.  RD is Ras/Tanev/Meloche.  Nothing wrong with that.  I would put Meloche as more NHL 3rd pair ready than Valimaki/Mackey.  

So, to me, we should trade one of Hanifin or Kylington.  And one of Valimaki or Mackey.  We would have 6 NHL D and one spare.  It's tough to trade away depth, but I don't see any way to keep them all.  Even if we keep 7 NHL D and one spare, we have to pick one D to be traded and try to fit in 8 guys into a 6 man rotation.  That works with a guy like Stone, but not so much for the ex-AHL guys.

Obviously, if Weeger is not a long term asset, then we need to rethink that.  But, I would suggest he was a big part of the trade and a huge need for this team.  They will offer him the biggest Flames D salary.  I can't see him turning that down.

definitely don't want to trade Andersson. 

I hope BT can get the guys signed soon and get to the next step. Maybe it's look for someone who can pass. Maybe Pelletier is ready? I'd give him another year. But if he beats down the door, Sutter will give it to him. 

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

definitely don't want to trade Andersson. 

I hope BT can get the guys signed soon and get to the next step. Maybe it's look for someone who can pass. Maybe Pelletier is ready? I'd give him another year. But if he beats down the door, Sutter will give it to him. 

I think that Pelletier has shown he is 100% pro.  Can out of junior and beat the door down in the AHL.

Maybe that means nothing, but we had a killer team with him on it.

Ultimately, neither him nor the other top prospect Wolf were enough to win the Calder Cup.

I do think that sometimes overcook people.

There's as much risk there as undercooking them.

One year in th AHL would not be considered overcooking, though.

I have to think back to Gaudreau's first 7 games his rookie season.

Almost got sent back to the AHL.

I think the coach sat down with him and told him to do something.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I believe Hartley called it the "Johnny Gaudreau Shock Treatment". Scratched him in, funny enough Columbus. As you said, they were very close to sending him to Stockton but in the next game had a couple points

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think that Pelletier has shown he is 100% pro.  Can out of junior and beat the door down in the AHL.

Maybe that means nothing, but we had a killer team with him on it.

Ultimately, neither him nor the other top prospect Wolf were enough to win the Calder Cup.

I do think that sometimes overcook people.

There's as much risk there as undercooking them.

One year in th AHL would not be considered overcooking, though.

i think with Johnny, he just needed to see  from above the room he had. 

amother thing, learning to play the game the right way from a Huberdeau will do wonders. 

something that was talked about on the radio in Van. A lot said Messier and Sundin were busts in Vancouver, but the players that played with them credited them for teaching them how to be pro smd NHLers and compete. While everyone hates messier here, Naslund played along side him on a line and learned from him. The Twins credit Sundin for their growth as well. 

sometimes things look horrible. Lucic seemed to do the same for the Flames. I hope Huberdeau can for the Flames and I still some fire under the skilled youth. 

you look at Datsyuk and Zetterberg and the leadership Yzermam and Lidstrom granted them. I've always wanted never say die leaders.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i think with Johnny, he just needed to see  from above the room he had. 

amother thing, learning to play the game the right way from a Huberdeau will do wonders. 

something that was talked about on the radio in Van. A lot said Messier and Sundin were busts in Vancouver, but the players that played with them credited them for teaching them how to be pro smd NHLers and compete. While everyone hates messier here, Naslund played along side him on a line and learned from him. The Twins credit Sundin for their growth as well. 

sometimes things look horrible. Lucic seemed to do the same for the Flames. I hope Huberdeau can for the Flames and I still some fire under the skilled youth. 

you look at Datsyuk and Zetterberg and the leadership Yzermam and Lidstrom granted them. I've always wanted never say die leaders.

Johnny was a case of a player coming out of college hockey.  Lower skillsets than the AHL, but full of beefy guys that can plaster him.  The ice seemed smaller to him because of the level of play in the NHL being so much higher.  I suspect Pelts is already past that.  Long playoff run.  Playing against NHL players cast down becuase the rosters were set.  So, he has a bigger set to have worked through.  

I could be smokin something.  I thought Mange could be a 30 goal scorer at some point.  He took longer to get here than I expected, but then again we held him back a bit.  I think we kinda did the same thing with Dube as Bennett, so that's a lesson.  They don't belong with Lucic.  

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Johnny was a case of a player coming out of college hockey.  Lower skillsets than the AHL, but full of beefy guys that can plaster him.  The ice seemed smaller to him because of the level of play in the NHL being so much higher.  I suspect Pelts is already past that.  Long playoff run.  Playing against NHL players cast down becuase the rosters were set.  So, he has a bigger set to have worked through.  

I could be smokin something.  I thought Mange could be a 30 goal scorer at some point.  He took longer to get here than I expected, but then again we held him back a bit.  I think we kinda did the same thing with Dube as Bennett, so that's a lesson.  They don't belong with Lucic.  

ya, I feel the same with Dube. 

i think Sutter got here and was like, "wait, no! These players need to work on a few things yet." So we see Valamaki in the minors. My bet is he'd have sent Dube back if he could last season or even this year. He mentioned that a few young players had entitlement issues and think he was referring to Dube and Valamaki.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

ya, I feel the same with Dube. 

i think Sutter got here and was like, "wait, no! These players need to work on a few things yet." So we see Valamaki in the minors. My bet is he'd have sent Dube back if he could last season or even this year. He mentioned that a few young players had entitlement issues and think he was referring to Dube and Valamaki.

For no apparent reason, Dube was top line before Sutter got there.

I don't know if it really made sense.

Sutter really only had one look at Pelletier.

He wasn't interested at the time.

Guy was just coming out of junior.

Was not going to get much of a look.

Was in the "everyone else" crew.

I think Duehr and Pospisal got a longer looker because of age and physical play.

I look at the AHL players right now.

Phillips, Pettersen, Pelletier all are smaller skilled players.

Should graduate one at least, but we can't have all small players.

Phillips is probably similar in player size and attitude to be a Yamamoto player.

He's successful there due to his linemates.

But really too small for a top 6 player.

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

For no apparent reason, Dube was top line before Sutter got there.

I don't know if it really made sense.

Sutter really only had one look at Pelletier.

He wasn't interested at the time.

Guy was just coming out of junior.

Was not going to get much of a look.

Was in the "everyone else" crew.

I think Duehr and Pospisal got a longer looker because of age and physical play.

I look at the AHL players right now.

Phillips, Pettersen, Pelletier all are smaller skilled players.

Should graduate one at least, but we can't have all small players.

Phillips is probably similar in player size and attitude to be a Yamamoto player.

He's successful there due to his linemates.

But really too small for a top 6 player.

would you consider Ruzicka as graduating? 

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

would you consider Ruzicka as graduating? 

I thought he had a similar start that Maniapane did in his "2nd" stint of 44 games.  The only reason Rozie was limited to 28 was the arrival of Carpenter.  Not Jarnkrok.  Rozie was sent down prior to TDL to allow some moves.  Jarnkrok took the 3C spot, but it only made us more defensively sound, but in the process killed the offense from the bottom 6.  Carpenter floated in and out, but we were locked in until the playoffs.

Unless we do something splashy at the 2C or 3C spot, Rozie is in the top 12.  So, in effect I thought he graduated last season.  Or at least he finished all his credits required.  Regardless, we don't have close to a full roster yet.  It's kinda why I have been pushing Pelts.  He fits the need we have in the roster.  Playmaker.  Possible PP2 B.  Okay, that's a bit too much.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I thought he had a similar start that Maniapane did in his "2nd" stint of 44 games.  The only reason Rozie was limited to 28 was the arrival of Carpenter.  Not Jarnkrok.  Rozie was sent down prior to TDL to allow some moves.  Jarnkrok took the 3C spot, but it only made us more defensively sound, but in the process killed the offense from the bottom 6.  Carpenter floated in and out, but we were locked in until the playoffs.

Unless we do something splashy at the 2C or 3C spot, Rozie is in the top 12.  So, in effect I thought he graduated last season.  Or at least he finished all his credits required.  Regardless, we don't have close to a full roster yet.  It's kinda why I have been pushing Pelts.  He fits the need we have in the roster.  Playmaker.  Possible PP2 B.  Okay, that's a bit too much.

If we are giving some players a shot than I would think Matthews is a better option than Pelts presently. He is seasoned playmaker on a 3rd line wouldn't be such a bad idea, he could be a PP 2 guy. For me if Sutter has to be open to the fact is we need a playmaker and energy guy and Phillips may just be the one. Smaller player but seems to always find away, Pelts had a great season but another one with late season call up maybe in order. 

47 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

If we are giving some players a shot than I would think Matthews is a better option than Pelts presently. He is seasoned playmaker on a 3rd line wouldn't be such a bad idea, he could be a PP 2 guy. For me if Sutter has to be open to the fact is we need a playmaker and energy guy and Phillips may just be the one. Smaller player but seems to always find away, Pelts had a great season but another one with late season call up maybe in order. 

Earned, yes.  But there's a huge size difference between Phillips and Pelts.  40 pounds and close to 3 inches.  Not saying he can't or shouldn't make the team, but that's a lot to overcome.  He's a 4 year pro and just broke out last year, playing with Pelts.  Pelletier has risen to every league he's played in very quickly.  

The question becomes who between the two can play in a spot in the top 9.  Camp should sort that out.  If Pelts was able to play RW as well, I don't even think it would be a question.  Then again, don't know what camp will look like for invites, PTO's and signed or traded for players.

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Earned, yes.  But there's a huge size difference between Phillips and Pelts.  40 pounds and close to 3 inches.  Not saying he can't or shouldn't make the team, but that's a lot to overcome.  He's a 4 year pro and just broke out last year, playing with Pelts.  Pelletier has risen to every league he's played in very quickly.  

The question becomes who between the two can play in a spot in the top 9.  Camp should sort that out.  If Pelts was able to play RW as well, I don't even think it would be a question.  Then again, don't know what camp will look like for invites, PTO's and signed or traded for players.

Well baed on what we have now Tre best add. If you want to maek a case for the two new guys to show them your seriuos at being in contention than its time to step up. It would be great for some prospects to step up but I am not sure we have what is required in the system to make that happen. 

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Well baed on what we have now Tre best add. If you want to maek a case for the two new guys to show them your seriuos at being in contention than its time to step up. It would be great for some prospects to step up but I am not sure we have what is required in the system to make that happen. 

I am a firm believer in bringing n at least a 2/3C.  There are guys that could help right now.  We may not be able to do it all by trade, but UFA signings now are below market.  At the very least we should be able to get a 3C for Kylington or a 2C for Hanifin.  It just stands to reason that D are worth a lot to teams.  Two guys that played top 4 on a team that finished 2nd to FLA in GF/GA differential and 3rd only to CAR for lowest goals against.  

It's a bit of a drag to have to trade one of them, but I think we have enough guys that could play 3rd pair with Zaddy.  At the very least we have to explore the value of Valimaki and even Mackey.  Just too many D.  

The prospects can win jobs by beating out 4th liners and even 3rd liners.  If they can, then Sutter has a choice.  If they can't they aren't ready.

26 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is good to see. Let the player know how much he's valued and how important he is to the Flames. Especially coming off the shocking trade

Could go both ways.  Could be that Huberdeau wants a trade to Montreal or that he wants to go to Montreal next summer.  In any event, good to see the two talk it out.

43 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is good to see. Let the player know how much he's valued and how important he is to the Flames. Especially coming off the shocking trade

As long as Brad picks up the tab.  Strange how he is pictured in Yellowhead County here then is in MTL for dinner.  Oh the marvels of jet travel.  Hope he didn't get hung up in PET Airport.