Jonathan Huberdeau

Thebrewcrew

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Nice to know a superstar is willing to commit to the Flames long term.

Exactly, just be thankful and enjoy this fellows. Three weeks ago it was doom and gloom. Guys will want to play with him, stay. I don't care what the tail end of this looks like it years away. We have a our franchise guy, build around it and bring me a CUP!!!!

• Like 1

I really didn't think this would be pulled off.

A few here have said he's unlikely to get 115 points again. 

Not so sure.

If you pro-rate him he's been a 100 point player for the last 4 years

Was under-rated until this year.

It's true we need another high end player on his line.   But I don't see his performance dropping off for a while.   This wasn't just a contract year for him, he's been consistent. 

Gaudreau, on the other hand, I can see dropping off.

• Like 1

I know the money he's being paid is incredible and who would say no a contract like that, but when you get a player to commit 9yrs to Calgary, they love hockey. Playing in a Canadian market isn't for everyone, you have to absolutely love it to play in Canada because it's not always easy.

He's gonna be the face of the franchise and an absolute superstar in this city. He seems to welcome the spot-light, unlike two former Flames heading to quieter markets....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I really didn't think this would be pulled off.

A few here have said he's unlikely to get 115 points again. 

Not so sure.

If you pro-rate him he's been a 100 point player for the last 4 years

Was under-rated until this year.

It's true we need another high end player on his line.   But I don't see his performance dropping off for a while.   This wasn't just a contract year for him, he's been consistent. 

Gaudreau, on the other hand, I can see dropping off.

BT pushed his chips all in on the deal for Tkachuk.

All or nothing.

He won this hand.

Still has a pocket pair of aces.

I think Gaudreau has a bigger chance of dropping off becuase of his life situation.

Hockey was his life and winning was everything.

Going to CBJ changed that.

Now it's a job.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

BT pushed his chips all in on the deal for Tkachuk.

All or nothing.

He won this hand.

Still has a pocket pair of aces.

I think Gaudreau has a bigger chance of dropping off becuase of his life situation.

Hockey was his life and winning was everything.

Going to CBJ changed that.

Now it's a job.

Agreed

Will there be any buyers remorse?

Athletic did a piece the other day about large contracts with your new shiny new toy and that it rarely works out.   AKA Skinner, Karlsson, Seth Jones et al.

However I think this one might just work for us and assuming the cap will increase in the next year or so this could be very good in the longer term.

46 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Athletic did a piece the other day about large contracts with your new shiny new toy and that it rarely works out.   AKA Skinner, Karlsson, Seth Jones et al.

However I think this one might just work for us and assuming the cap will increase in the next year or so this could be very good in the longer term.

I didnt read the article but theres also high $$ contracts out there that are working out for the selected teams  (McJesus, Matthews, Barkov). Of course only time will tell but I dont think anyone will be lumping this contract with the likes of Skinner.

This is how I look at this deal. Most Flames fan would be elated if Johnny accepted this same offer from BT. and have decided to stay with us.However, he did not. Johnny have decided to leave us for less money. Then, BT took the same bag of money offered to another (bigger) guy with the same point production last year, and he accepted that bag of money. We have locked up this guy for 9 years, and he is an elite player. Johnny will not be the same player in CBJ because he will be distracted with new baby and his wife is the one wearing the pants in the family. Let be real here, if Johnny is still single, he would have accepted our offer and have stayed with us. I'm glad how things transpired because now, we have Jonathan rather than Johnny. Jonathan sounds more civilized than Johnny, don't you think? LOL

8 minutes ago, DHT said:

This is how I look at this deal. Most Flames fan would be elated if Johnny accepted this same offer from BT. and have decided to stay with us.However, he did not. Johnny have decided to leave us for less money. Then, BT took the same bag of money offered to another (bigger) guy with the same point production last year, and he accepted that bag of money. We have locked up this guy for 9 years, and he is an elite player. Johnny will not be the same player in CBJ because he will be distracted with new baby and his wife is the one wearing the pants in the family. Let be real here, if Johnny is still single, he would have accepted our offer and have stayed with us. I'm glad how things transpired because now, we have Jonathan rather than Johnny. Jonathan sounds more civilized than Johnny, don't you think? LOL

I'm not at the point of trashing Johnny.  He had said before he wanted to play some day back home.

Home didn't have the space to call him.

If COVID has never happened, I think we have a different result.

No concerns about hopping on a plane for a family reunion.

Family comes first in a lot of people's lives.

Married or not, he put his entire career in the hands of good and bad coaches.

Anyway, I am on to the new Jonny.

The guy that is happy to sign here.

The leader on the ice player.

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

The Athletic's reporting is getting worse and worse. Comparing any of those guys is laughable. I cancelled my subscription last year and just use read only mode if I want to read anything from them. They're turning into the same clickbait as everyone else. Imho.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The Athletic's reporting is getting worse and worse. Comparing any of those guys is laughable. I cancelled my subscription last year and just use read only mode if I want to read anything from them. They're turning into the same clickbait as everyone else. Imho.

Yost (from TSN) does a fair job, but he adds his bias and likes/dislikes to shape his opinion.

He did depth pieces about 32 teams on the different wings.

Some of his conclusions are funny.

He basd it on personal stats.

Another ex-Hockey Buzz guy laughed off that site.

Which is bad.

The Calgary Athletic contingent has some notables that I have read elsewhere.

Haynes - who I thought had some good perspective

Salvian - she's okay but gets a little too distracted.

Honestly, most publications are getting paid for clicks.

So much of it is based on pure stats to prove their conclusion.

Bit, you really have to be careful when doing comps.

Using a $$ figure to compare players is useless.

There are so few players you can compare one for one, let alone a group.

Elites never really even look the same overall.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Yost (from TSN) does a fair job, but he adds his bias and likes/dislikes to shape his opinion.

He did depth pieces about 32 teams on the different wings.

Some of his conclusions are funny.

He basd it on personal stats.

Another ex-Hockey Buzz guy laughed off that site.

Which is bad.

The Calgary Athletic contingent has some notables that I have read elsewhere.

Haynes - who I thought had some good perspective

Salvian - she's okay but gets a little too distracted.

Honestly, most publications are getting paid for clicks.

So much of it is based on pure stats to prove their conclusion.

Bit, you really have to be careful when doing comps.

Using a $$ figure to compare players is useless.

There are so few players you can compare one for one, let alone a group.

Elites never really even look the same overall.

Where once we had Duhatschek.

I'm enjoying reading the r/hockey subreddit re this signing reading from fans of other teams.

41 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not at the point of trashing Johnny.  He had said before he wanted to play some day back home.

Home didn't have the space to call him.

If COVID has never happened, I think we have a different result.

No concerns about hopping on a plane for a family reunion.

Family comes first in a lot of people's lives.

Married or not, he put his entire career in the hands of good and bad coaches.

Anyway, I am on to the new Jonny.

The guy that is happy to sign here.

The leader on the ice player.

Same ..I'm definitely not trashing him.. I don't even blame him for leaving.  He just did it wrong..

Yes he had the right...same as Florida had the right to blindside huberdeau.. but you look at Vegas and see what 2 way disrespect gets you . 

I seriously have a new found high degree of respect for tkachuk.. he could have signed a St Louis offer sheet .could have signed his qo..could have said all the right things, kept his mouth shut and walked ..with every right to do so . But, he gave respect to his team..his old city . And did it right.. everybody won .

In the end , the future is bright again when it looked pretty bleak there for a couple weeks 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Same ..I'm definitely not trashing him.. I don't even blame him for leaving.  He just did it wrong..

Yes he had the right...same as Florida had the right to blindside huberdeau.. but you look at Vegas and see what 2 way disrespect gets you . 

I seriously have a new found high degree of respect for tkachuk.. he could have signed a St Louis offer sheet .could have signed his qo..could have said all the right things, kept his mouth shut and walked ..with every right to do so . But, he gave respect to his team..his old city . And did it right.. everybody won .

In the end , the future is bright again when it looked pretty bleak there for a couple weeks 

The rumors of an OS were overblown I thought.

It's predatory and backfires most of the time.

STL had zero ability to manage the OS.

Only offer they could make was over $10.5M AAV over 5 years.

And all it does is guarantee we get Tkachuk for 5 years at a max.

But, Johnny did Johnny.

That's his choice.

We get the guy that wants to be here and isn't going to be pushed around.

Complete player vs two trick pony.

Horse vs pony.

40 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm fine with trashing him. He plays for Columbus.lol

What, I'm supposed to respect other teams' players now?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

With JG he was allowed the time to do this which I get Tre trying to be the nice guy allowed but still advocate that a internal timeline be in place. I agree if the time line was moved back I still think the decsion would have been the same. Lesson learned.

With MT I am with you 100% on this. He did what was right, the professional way the honarable way. He treated the organization ho he wanted to be treated, utmost respect for that. 

18 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

With JG he was allowed the time to do this which I get Tre trying to be the nice guy allowed but still advocate that a internal timeline be in place. I agree if the time line was moved back I still think the decsion would have been the same. Lesson learned.

With MT I am with you 100% on this. He did what was right, the professional way the honarable way. He treated the organization ho he wanted to be treated, utmost respect for that. 

He was a big boy about it and does deserve respect for it.

That doesn't change the fact that he rejected the team 3 years ago.

But, I'm not going to hold that against him.

In the last 3 years, the Flames have done nothing to generate success.

Bad coaching for all but one year.

2 of 3 seasons were "special".

2 of 2 playoffs saw Tkachuk injured.

32 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

JG was down-to-the-wire offered what he wanted. Said no.

Now we want to paint this as, "oh such a hard decision". Whatever. Best of luck to Columbus dealing with a little kid afraid to get in trouble, then can't understand the backlash for wasting everyone's valuable time.

Sometimes, you've gotta call a spade a spade. Take us to the wire, we offer what you want, you still say no.

Thanks for the giant f%$& around.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

JG was down-to-the-wire offered what he wanted. Said no.

Now we want to paint this as, "oh such a hard decision". Whatever. Best of luck to Columbus dealing with a little kid afraid to get in trouble, then can't understand the backlash for wasting everyone's valuable time.

Sometimes, you've gotta call a spade a spade. Take us to the wire, we offer what you want, you still say no.

Thanks for the giant f%$& around.

Ya 100%... However, had Gaudreau told the hockey world about his decision about a week earlier, I do believe PHI would've had a full week to move out some bodies to sign him.  But in the 11th hour, PHI didn't have the time.  Gaudreau screwed himself too.  Everybody Including himself lost.  Even CBJ now has a player who never really wanted to be there in the first place.

Tkachuk, on the other hand, did the right thing and everybody won.  The Flames got a great return.  Tkachuk is playing where he wants to be.  Both teams and fans are pretty happy.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya 100%... However, had Gaudreau told the hockey world about his decision about a week earlier, I do believe PHI would've had a full week to move out some bodies to sign him.  But in the 11th hour, PHI didn't have the time.  Gaudreau screwed himself too.  Everybody Including himself lost.  Even CBJ now has a player who never really wanted to be there in the first place.

Tkachuk, on the other hand, did the right thing and everybody won.  The Flames got a great return.  Tkachuk is playing where he wants to be.  Both teams and fans are pretty happy.

His agent even. Talk about not being forthcoming with ANYONE. Even made his agent look terrible. Talk about burning bridges right to the ground.