Jonathan Huberdeau

Thebrewcrew

On 8/8/2022 at 6:24 PM, Heartbreaker said:

Lookin' good!

297474355_10159959236453704_807149336336

Love.

Ok .I admit it maybe I'm getting a man crush on the guy. But its blowing me away how much class and swagger this guy has. This has to be contagious when he gets to the team..

He's genuinely excited to be a flame . 

He's playing summer league hockey and immediately outfitted himself and the team with flames jerseys IN MONTREAL!

I initially wondered why if he flew all that way why didn't Brad bring him a real jersey?  Well looks like he did but the dude framed it .

He talks about winning..cups and getting better .. while Johnny gets to Columbus and talks about how "it seems like a fun place to play"

He has that "hate to lose" swagger ..and on top of it is basically saying get on my back and I'll take you there .. 

He's good .he knows it ..but yet still genuinely states he's looking forward to Sutter being hard on him and pushing him to be better 

If I didn't always believe that a captain shouid be chosen by the team not the coaches ..and shouid be earned I'd be promoting slapping the C on that jersey right now..  Flames fans shouid be super excited what this guy is bringing to the team over and above the points he gets on the ice .. 

• Like 3

Its great to have him, always loved the player and super stoked he is here. I believe we get 6 good years from him. If we can get Weegar signed would be awesome as well. IMHO this is the type of player that could elevate a team, however 1 guy can't carry a team. Are we better than last year, no because there are to many variables right now, however I do think a couple of pieces put in place we could be a threat. I can see Tre not doing anything and hoping guys from below elevate their games. This is the part that drives me the IF game. The window that was slammed shut has now been reopened, just need a couple of more pieces to hold it open

I think that we're already better. JG elevated? two already top line players. JH elevated middling guys. What can he do for our middling guys?

We still need something, I just don't know what until play starts and we get some answers of how we can line up and JH's impact.

But an easy JG replacement and our best Dman for Tkachuk does not bother me at all.

Add a 1st and a really good prospect in Schwindt. Stellar trade.

If JG hadn't led us on to death, maybe Trochek would have been fun to sign. But such is the predicament. We're coming out of it really well, I think.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Its great to have him, always loved the player and super stoked he is here. I believe we get 6 good years from him. If we can get Weegar signed would be awesome as well. IMHO this is the type of player that could elevate a team, however 1 guy can't carry a team. Are we better than last year, no because there are to many variables right now, however I do think a couple of pieces put in place we could be a threat. I can see Tre not doing anything and hoping guys from below elevate their games. This is the part that drives me the IF game. The window that was slammed shut has now been reopened, just need a couple of more pieces to hold it open

I don't think BT is finished this summer at all.  We saw how quickly he took care of business with the "easy" stuff like re-signing all the RFA's with arbitration rights once Hubie was signed.  The next moves could be hung up on Weegar, figuring out the cap for next year.  You can go ahead and makes trades that re-shape the cap, but you have to be sure you have enough for the core.  In that way, I think he is holding off a bit.  Some of the higher profile guys remaining (not top ones obviously) have little discussion going on about them right now.  And some team are still trying to balance out their teams.  

We lost 2 top 6 players, a middle 6 C, and a 3rd pairing D.  You can't replace al of that in one deal.  

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

I think that we're already better. JG elevated? two already top line players. JH elevated middling guys. What can he do for our middling guys?

We still need something, I just don't know what until play starts and we get some answers of how we can line up and JH's impact.

But an easy JG replacement and our best Dman for Tkachuk does not bother me at all.

Add a 1st and a really good prospect in Schwindt. Stellar trade.

If JG hadn't led us on to death, maybe Trochek would have been fun to sign. But such is the predicament. We're coming out of it really well, I think.

It's easy to pencil guys in and look at the lineup without adding in guys like Pelletier.  I would consider at this point Rozie is a roster player.  So, for sake of argument, look at the following:

Hubie-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mange-Backlund-Coleman

Rooney-Rozie-Dube

Lucic-Monahan-Lewis

Flip Monahan with Rooney or Rozie if you like.  Doesn't scream bottom 6 scoring.  Even Bread is relying on scoring while defending against the best in the league.  Transition scoring yes.  

I mean I see holes but we have players in the holes.  Would prefer to have 2 scoring lines and a shutdown line.  Would prefer a playmaker on each of the bottom 2 lines.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think BT is finished this summer at all.  We saw how quickly he took care of business with the "easy" stuff like re-signing all the RFA's with arbitration rights once Hubie was signed.  The next moves could be hung up on Weegar, figuring out the cap for next year.  You can go ahead and makes trades that re-shape the cap, but you have to be sure you have enough for the core.  In that way, I think he is holding off a bit.  Some of the higher profile guys remaining (not top ones obviously) have little discussion going on about them right now.  And some team are still trying to balance out their teams.  

We lost 2 top 6 players, a middle 6 C, and a 3rd pairing D.  You can't replace al of that in one deal.  

I think we'll  have Weegar by end of week.. been pretty quiet around BT so that usually means he's working on something.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

It's easy to pencil guys in and look at the lineup without adding in guys like Pelletier.  I would consider at this point Rozie is a roster player.  So, for sake of argument, look at the following:

Hubie-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mange-Backlund-Coleman

Rooney-Rozie-Dube

Lucic-Monahan-Lewis

Flip Monahan with Rooney or Rozie if you like.  Doesn't scream bottom 6 scoring.  Even Bread is relying on scoring while defending against the best in the league.  Transition scoring yes.  

I mean I see holes but we have players in the holes.  Would prefer to have 2 scoring lines and a shutdown line.  Would prefer a playmaker on each of the bottom 2 lines.  

The least effective most expensive 4th linein history. I feel for Monhan if thats where he gets plugged into. Be a very long season with this roster,its beyond weak past the 2nd line

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Devastating losses for Florida. It WILL show. 

I still wish Tkachuk all the best because he was fair to us.  He didn't lead us on and then change his mind in the 11th hour.  He did the honorable thing.

Still, Huberdeau turned Bennett into something and that's not easy to do.  No one should be surprised if Bennett fades into a 15-goal player again with hardly any assists since he never passes.  FLAs 2nd line is going to be the Lundell-Reinhart combo but that used to be the 3rd line.  Their depth has taken a huge hit.

Weegar sounds like he was the glue-guy that made their D work.  Depth on D has also taken a hit.

I mean, their first line should be solid.  Verhaeghe - Barkov - Tkachuk should all be point per game.  Other than that, there's no Presidents Trophy team here.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I still wish Tkachuk all the best because he was fair to us.  He didn't lead us on and then change his mind in the 11th hour.  He did the honorable thing.

Still, Huberdeau turned Bennett into something and that's not easy to do.  No one should be surprised if Bennett fades into a 15-goal player again with hardly any assists since he never passes.  FLAs 2nd line is going to be the Lundell-Reinhart combo but that used to be the 3rd line.  Their depth has taken a huge hit.

Weegar sounds like he was the glue-guy that made their D work.  Depth on D has also taken a hit.

I mean, their first line should be solid.  Verhaeghe - Barkov - Tkachuk should all be point per game.  Other than that, there's no Presidents Trophy team here.

Lundell is a good player, but I don't think he makes Bennett better or even what he was last year.

I don't know what to make of the top line right now.  Tkachuk was good because he had JG to pass to and from.  Most of MT's passes were to places he expected JG to get to.  How many homerun passes ended up being icings as opposed to breakaways.  2-1 at least.  JG had a knack of finding MT open.  Tkachuk should still be close to a P/GP, but I don't think it's a given without him improving his vision on the ice.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Lundell is a good player, but I don't think he makes Bennett better or even what he was last year.

I don't know what to make of the top line right now.  Tkachuk was good because he had JG to pass to and from.  Most of MT's passes were to places he expected JG to get to.  How many homerun passes ended up being icings as opposed to breakaways.  2-1 at least.  JG had a knack of finding MT open.  Tkachuk should still be close to a P/GP, but I don't think it's a given without him improving his vision on the ice.

Ya Huberdeau made that second line beat.  And then Reinhart and Lundell helped make FLAs depth incredible.  But now that's all gone now.  Bennett and Duclair will turn back to bottom 6 players.  

Tkachuk is talented but held back by average skating.  He's got elite finish around the net.  He'll be fine with Barkov and Verhaeghe if that's what their plan is.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya Huberdeau made that second line beat.  And then Reinhart and Lundell helped make FLAs depth incredible.  But now that's all gone now.  Bennett and Duclair will turn back to bottom 6 players.  

Tkachuk is talented but held back by average skating.  He's got elite finish around the net.  He'll be fine with Barkov and Verhaeghe if that's what their plan is.

If he's serious, then Tkachuk finishes pretty darn good.  His shot is deceptive.  I don't like the between the legs stuff, but that works for him.  Frustrating to watch when it doesn't.  He was pretty much useless in the 2nd round for us.  Messed up hand, but who's fault was that?  FLA's gonna take a step back.  But they will be an annoying team to play against.  I will enjoy watching them play the Oilers.  Kane vs Tkachuk and Bennett.  Bennet hates the Oilers as much as Tkachuk does.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/flames-jonathan-huberdeau-talks-montreal-canadiens-rumours/

“I know a lot of people were saying that: ‘Play one year [in Calgary] and then play for Montreal,’” Huberdeau told the 32 Thoughts podcast.

“As much as I love Montreal, I dunno. I think it’s a tough city for a French-Canadian. Calgary traded for me. If Montreal wanted to trade for me, they would’ve traded for me. That’s how I see it. And I want to play for a team that wants me. Calgary wanted me, so that’s why I wanted to sign a big extension.”

Love.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

"Tough market for French Canadians" yes.  Lots of players have actually avoided playing back home due to too much pressure.  Better to be a millionaire hockey player in Florida and California where you can go out and live a normal life without people harassing you everywhere.  Very common theme.  

But hopefully Cale Makar is not one of these people.

• 5 months later...

“Their marquee trade acquisition, Jonathan Huberdeau, is on pace for the largest offensive drop-off in NHL history. At his current clip, he’d finish with 53 points.“

This is concerning, this is an unprecedented drop in productivity…for someone considered to be our best player at that. 

34 minutes ago, rickross said:

“Their marquee trade acquisition, Jonathan Huberdeau, is on pace for the largest offensive drop-off in NHL history. At his current clip, he’d finish with 53 points.“

This is concerning, this is an unprecedented drop in productivity…for someone considered to be our best player at that. 

Maybe the most relevant outcome, currently, is that neither team is a playoff team this year.

FLA last year 122pts, CGY 111pts.

This year both are on pace for about 88pts.

Safe to say neither team are seeing positive results yet.

49 minutes ago, rickross said:

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Maybe the most relevant outcome, currently, is that neither team is a playoff team this year.

FLA last year 122pts, CGY 111pts.

This year both are on pace for about 88pts.

Safe to say neither team are seeing positive results yet.

Losing Weegar was a big hit.

Losing Huberdeau impacted more than just goals for.

It's a long term win for each team IMHO.