Jonathan Huberdeau

Thebrewcrew

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

We need to be bringing in a French Canadian for Hubie.

Alberta isn't exactly a bilingual province.

Statsny?

He's from Quebec City.

He's been in Florida for 8 yrs I think I don't thinkl he needs any english schooling lol

4 minutes ago, zima said:

He's been in Florida for 8 yrs I think I don't thinkl he needs any english schooling lol

Have you listened to him?

By the way, I was referring to him having someone to talk in French to.

Florida is the most popular destination for Quebecers.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:
Derek Wills

@Fan960Wills
· 1h
Jonathan Huberdeau and MacKenzie Weegar just told us that they’d be open to signing long-term with #Flames. Huberdeau said his agent has already spoken with Brad Treliving.

Great that they said that, but they kind of had to say that. Gaudreau and Tkachuk both said they were open to signing long term too, till they weren’t.

Hard to put any stock into what players say in these availabilities. Especially after Gaudreau and Tkachuk's exit interviews.

Couple interesting takeaways though

• On Overdrive in Toronto, Huberdeau said he felt he deserved a little more respect in the way the trade was handled.
  • In his CGY availability, he said he wants be on a team that "wants him", then he went on to say that the Flames traded for him so they want him.

So there are two things there, being wanted and respect. For a lot of people , money equals respect and signifies being wanted. If the Flames are willing to commit significant money and term to him, that could get it done.

Walsh toying with us

35 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Great that they said that, but they kind of had to say that. Gaudreau and Tkachuk both said they were open to signing long term too, till they weren’t.

19 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Stop reading my mind jtech i was just thinking absolutly the same thing lol lol

One signed a 3 year deal because he wasn't sure.

He also didn't lie when he said he would sign a long term deal with he Flames.

Just happened to be a sign and trade deal.

Gaudreau was more cryptic.

"If Tree (general manager Brad Treliving) and the owners are happy with the way I've played, it's something we can figure out," Gaudreau said, according to SN Pat Steinberg "I would love to do that. I love the city. I don't think I've ever once said I don't want to be here."

With Gaudreau, the decision may have been impacted between May and July 13th, since COVID kinda starting creeping up everywhere.  The testing pause, testing again, must use ArriveCan app does impact him and his family, should he or they want to visit short term.

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Couple interesting takeaways though

• On Overdrive in Toronto, Huberdeau said he felt he deserved a little more respect in the way the trade was handled.
  • In his CGY availability, he said he wants be on a team that "wants him", then he went on to say that the Flames traded for him so they want him.

So there are two things there, being wanted and respect. For a lot of people , money equals respect and signifies being wanted. If the Flames are willing to commit significant money and term to him, that could get it done.

Well, we should at least commit to him what we were prepared to commit to Gaudreau.  

The other thing he and Weegs talked about was coming to a team that is hungry to win a cup.

FLA is as well, but they just threw out two guys that were part of their last cup run.

Weeger's family seems pumped.

I wasn't reading too much into comments 48 hours after a surprise trade.

They obviously want to get here and meet people and get ready.

I didn't get the sense that they would wait to mid season to sign.

But again, can't really read anything into it.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

One signed a 3 year deal because he wasn't sure.

He also didn't lie when he said he would sign a long term deal with he Flames.

Just happened to be a sign and trade deal.

Gaudreau was more cryptic.

"If Tree (general manager Brad Treliving) and the owners are happy with the way I've played, it's something we can figure out," Gaudreau said, according to SN Pat Steinberg "I would love to do that. I love the city. I don't think I've ever once said I don't want to be here."

With Gaudreau, the decision may have been impacted between May and July 13th, since COVID kinda starting creeping up everywhere.  The testing pause, testing again, must use ArriveCan app does impact him and his family, should he or they want to visit short term.

See I think the decision not to stay has more to do with getting married than COVID. He I don't for a minute think he was torn on the decision. Matthew I he couldn't get out of here fast enough. If you watch his interview today, its the bigest smile he has had on hos face since his draft year. May be reading more into it and someone alluded to it earlier, Why was he not a Monhan's wedding? Maybe this is another case like Hamiton didn't fit. What is glarly important in tis that speaks volumes is Tre aided in him moving and he tried to assist the Flames the best he could leaving, IMHO thats character of the individual, Kudo's to both sides in working together

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, we should at least commit to him what we were prepared to commit to Gaudreau.  

The other thing he and Weegs talked about was coming to a team that is hungry to win a cup.

FLA is as well, but they just threw out two guys that were part of their last cup run.

Weeger's family seems pumped.

I wasn't reading too much into comments 48 hours after a surprise trade.

They obviously want to get here and meet people and get ready.

I didn't get the sense that they would wait to mid season to sign.

But again, can't really read anything into it.

Hard to sign to deal when you don't know what your getting into. Meet the players, fans, city ect . It seems that the older players enjoy it here but the younger ones not so much. It would be the pinnacle of the trade if they sign. Now if the goal is to compete for a cup, Trevling better start making some moves that do so. What we have is better than a week ago but 2-3 players short of being seriously considered contenders. 1 stud DMan, 2nd line center and 1-2 RW scorers and more speed

3 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Hard to sign to deal when you don't know what your getting into. Meet the players, fans, city ect . It seems that the older players enjoy it here but the younger ones not so much. It would be the pinnacle of the trade if they sign. Now if the goal is to compete for a cup, Trevling better start making some moves that do so. What we have is better than a week ago but 2-3 players short of being seriously considered contenders. 1 stud DMan, 2nd line center and 1-2 RW scorers and more speed

Oh, I agree.  This year's cap is not impacted by their deals, but BT kinda likes to know what he will be spending next year.  Most trades he will look at or any impactful UFA, will be 2 year deals at least.  Before MT and JG were dealt, he had no idea what he do to improve the team.

9 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

See I think the decision not to stay has more to do with getting married than COVID. He I don't for a minute think he was torn on the decision. Matthew I he couldn't get out of here fast enough. If you watch his interview today, its the bigest smile he has had on hos face since his draft year. May be reading more into it and someone alluded to it earlier, Why was he not a Monhan's wedding? Maybe this is another case like Hamiton didn't fit. What is glarly important in tis that speaks volumes is Tre aided in him moving and he tried to assist the Flames the best he could leaving, IMHO thats character of the individual, Kudo's to both sides in working together

He's been married for a year.  He would have signed last year if they had come through with a decent enough offer.  They were house shopping last year.  He said basically that.  What changed between last year and this year?  Covid and pregnancy. 

I get that you don't need to have a vax to travel in Canada now, but you can't travel between the two countries easily without it.  You know that he is vaxed and his wife is likely too, prior to pregnancy.  But we may get to a point this fall, where you need to be up to date and your kids "may" need to be vaxed to travel. 

This isn't some speech about anti vax, just recognizing that things chance and what is relatively easy now could go back to 2020 rules.  Would you want to be stuck without your family able to visit with a newborne on the way?  And his wife is likely unable to travel by plane in the very near future, if not now.   

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He's been married for a year.  He would have signed last year if they had come through with a decent enough offer.  They were house shopping last year.  He said basically that.  What changed between last year and this year?  Covid and pregnancy. 

I get that you don't need to have a vax to travel in Canada now, but you can't travel between the two countries easily without it.  You know that he is vaxed and his wife is likely too, prior to pregnancy.  But we may get to a point this fall, where you need to be up to date and your kids "may" need to be vaxed to travel. 

This isn't some speech about anti vax, just recognizing that things chance and what is relatively easy now could go back to 2020 rules.  Would you want to be stuck without your family able to visit with a newborne on the way?  And his wife is likely unable to travel by plane in the very near future, if not now.   

I think the bigger part was we likely weren't offering near what they were asking . His worth at that time was likely far apart.. I'd be surprised if we even broke $9m .. and let's be honest ..he wasn't worth 10.5 then 

On 7/23/2022 at 12:31 PM, travel_dude said:

Argg, we are now already talking about trading the guy?  Yeah, I know it's a response to JJ.

You suggested re-signing for 12.5 x 8?

Were you meaning JH and MW?

Or just JH?

Tkachuk, assuming we signed him (not arbitration award) to one year for the purpose of trading him...

Trading him in pre-season, mid-season or TDL, it's a tough trade.

Pending UFA with not a great playoff history.

And he only has value if he puts up great numbers.

That's not guaranteed now.

Huberdeau, at 5.9M is far more attractive.

My first choice is to lock up Hiberdeau.

Weeger really depends on his fit.

As a TDL trade, he could get a 1st, a prospect and a roster player.

Think Hampus Lindholm trade.

or a response to him saying he wishes he was with another team on like day 1.

Prolly nothing though....like when has that ever amounted to anything other than with our last two top players.

Fun story. I was watching Overdrive today. Mike Johnson came on to discuss the trade. In one breath he said, "well Tkachuk is a better player than Huberdeau", amongst the next breaths was, "well Huberdeau easily replaces Gaudreau".

So it's easy Math to deduce Tkachuk is better than both.

I warned you it's a fun story.

Is there a subreddit for outing the garbage we're fed?

• Like 1

I think training camp is the time to really push for an extension.

Lets the player meet the team and staff. Get acclimated to the new surroundings. The excitement is at it's highest in the fall.

As we know, it's dangerous for this to drag out into the season. UFA looks more and more enticing as the season plays out. I'd be shocked if the Flames deal him during the season, unless things really go sideways, which I don't see. The Flames should be battling for top spot in the Pacific

20 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Fun story. I was watching Overdrive today. Mike Johnson came on to discuss the trade. In one breath he said, "well Tkachuk is a better player than Huberdeau", amongst the next breaths was, "well Huberdeau easily replaces Gaudreau".

So it's easy Math to deduce Tkachuk is better than both.

I warned you it's a fun story.

Is there a subreddit for outing the garbage we're fed?

He bends more than a willow tree.

For such a great player, his biggest contribution to the Flames playoffs was Game 1 against the Oilers.

Game 1, 3g 1a +1.

Games 2-5, 1a, combined -5.

It an over simplifcation.

Wasted a lot of energy doing things that had zero impact in a game.

He was starting to get a rep as being like Burrows.

Trying to draw penalties out of nothing.

I think that CBJ got the best player we had.

And we got the best player available this summer.

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think training camp is the time to really push for an extension.

Lets the player meet the team and staff. Get acclimated to the new surroundings. The excitement is at it's highest in the fall.

As we know, it's dangerous for this to drag out into the season. UFA looks more and more enticing as the season plays out. I'd be shocked if the Flames deal him during the season, unless things really go sideways, which I don't see. The Flames should be battling for top spot in the Pacific

I was thinking get him signed before the snow falls late August.  LOL.

It's going to take a wee bit of time to finalize the deal.

The agent and GM work the summer.

Sutter has a rep, and I am inclined to get him locked up before TC really gets going.

But what do I know.

You want him settling into the city before the TC starts.

KNowing that you are looking for a home or fancy condo is key.

One implies long term.

But, I do agree that the players need to meet up, so that he can get a sense of the city.

What's a good area to live.

What's the best commute.

Who is he fishing with.

BBQ time.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

or a response to him saying he wishes he was with another team on like day 1.

Prolly nothing though....like when has that ever amounted to anything other than with our last two top players.

Well for starters Huberdeau never once said h wanted to play for another team.. it was just reported that theb habs were his fave team growing up .. like every french kid ..   I know the Panthers are definitely off his xmas card list now tho. 

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I was thinking get him signed before the snow falls late August.  LOL.

It's going to take a wee bit of time to finalize the deal.

The agent and GM work the summer.

Sutter has a rep, and I am inclined to get him locked up before TC really gets going.

But what do I know.

You want him settling into the city before the TC starts.

KNowing that you are looking for a home or fancy condo is key.

One implies long term.

But, I do agree that the players need to meet up, so that he can get a sense of the city.

What's a good area to live.

What's the best commute.

Who is he fishing with.

BBQ time.

Good points.

Ideally, you'd sign him tomorrow. It's just not realistic though. 

He's hurting a bit from the trade. Management and ownership need to make him feel valued/wanted and give him an offer representative of that. Force him to leave 10m+ on the table if he doesn't want to be here.

Huberdeau has been pt/g for four seasons in a row. I expect that to continue. In terms of bargaining power, he will never have more than right now, coming off 115pts. That could give a little hope for an extension before the season. Get that money locked in now.