2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't believe that COL was taking Makar #1. I was able to have a conversation with an NHL scout, his team had a top 10 pick in 2017. He said that his team really liked Makar, but a lot of teams had a hard time justifying an AJHL player as the 1st overall pick. They looked at it like Makar was facing lower competition than the kids in the CHL

See this is my point exactly . Redrafting in hindsight is too easy to point fingers ..

Even in gaudreaus year when they side stashed Kucherov and Gaudreau for the right moment .. they felt they were taking a gamble .. he himself even said if they'd really thought they could be what they became they'd have taken them both 1 and 2 

Theoren Fleury was never expected to play an NHL game. He was drafted with the intention of being an exciting player to sell tickets on the farm team 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

See this is my point exactly . Redrafting in hindsight is too easy to point fingers ..

Even in gaudreaus year when they side stashed Kucherov and Gaudreau for the right moment .. they felt they were taking a gamble .. he himself even said if they'd really thought they could be what they became they'd have taken them both 1 and 2 

Theoren Fleury was never expected to play an NHL game. He was drafted with the intention of being an exciting player to sell tickets on the farm team 

100%, drafting is really hard.

I think scouting has improved a lot in the last 5-7yrs, but it's still an inexact science. 

40 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

100%, drafting is really hard.

I think scouting has improved a lot in the last 5-7yrs, but it's still an inexact science. 

And yet, Nico Hischier is probably going to win the Cup too in 5 years.  NJ tanking the "right" way.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

And yet, Nico Hischier is probably going to win the Cup too in 5 years.  NJ tanking the "right" way.

Jersey hasnt accomplished anything yet, lets not be in a big rush with the accolades. I can see Detroit or Ottawa start making noise sooner than the Devs.

15 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Jersey hasnt accomplished anything yet, lets not be in a big rush with the accolades. I can see Detroit or Ottawa start making noise sooner than the Devs.

Yeah same. I think NJ may really need to address G & D. If Blackwood can't turn it around, I doubt Vanacek is a good answer. Both Washington goalies looked pretty bad last year, and the Caps obviously saw that too. Samsonov in particular lost his net on a regular basis. And NJ's outta cap space. They have 9 of their 13 forwards up for contract renewal next year.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

And even then NJ had to win the lottery.. they moved up 4 spots .. maybe they still get a good player in Elias Pettersson, or they whiff and take Lias Andersson 

And even then NJ had to win the lottery.. they moved up 4 spots .. maybe they still get a good player in Elias Pettersson, or they whiff and take Lias Andersson 

NJ has really all been based on lottery wins, even before Hischier they won the 2011 lottery to move up from 9th to 4th, Jack Hughes was a lottery win as they were 8 points out of last, and even their #2 this year they jumped from #5 to #2.  

35 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Is it time to start considering PTO's yet? Just noticed the Canes PTO'd Stepan.

I agree with Cross, that there is still more moves coming. That being said, I do wonder if Cody Eakin is a PTO candidate, just seems like a Sutter type player.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I agree with Cross, that there is still more moves coming. That being said, I do wonder if Cody Eakin is a PTO candidate, just seems like a Sutter type player.

I was wondering about Sam Gagner. He was actually a decent 4th liner with Detroit, occasionally elevated to 3rd. But honestly, how many 4th liners do we need? ARI will probably sign him. Detroit now has too many forwards, feel kinda bad for Berggren. Not really room for him now. Unless he beats the door down.

C'mon Ruzicka, impress the crap out of us.lol

Just now, conundrumed said:

I was wondering about Sam Gagner. He was actually a decent 4th liner with Detroit, occasionally elevated to 3rd. But honestly, how many 4th liners do we need? ARI will probably sign him. Detroit now has too many forwards, feel kinda bad for Berggren. Not really room for him now. Unless he beats the door down.

C'mon Ruzicka, impress the crap out of us.lol

There is some rumours that Gagner might be signing with Edmonton or at least going there on a PTO.

Sutter likes to play a big, physical, energy 4th line, so I don’t see Gagner really fitting in that role.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I wouldn’t mind finding a way to get Sandin in the fold here.

Kerfoot is another guy that would make sense, just don’t know how to make it work cap wise.

I was thinking perhaps Valimaki for Sandin.

Doesn't really help the roster situation, since both must go through waivers.

But, I would be more comfortable then trading Hanifin for a forward.

42 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

There is some rumours that Gagner might be signing with Edmonton or at least going there on a PTO.

Sutter likes to play a big, physical, energy 4th line, so I don’t see Gagner really fitting in that role.

Yeah I agree on the Sutter factor. He's a useful 4th line guy though. PK's as well. 13 goals last year, played a full season, -4 on Detroit is proof that he doesn't hurt you. Pretty safe player.

But yeah, the Sutter factor.

Noticing the Lucic to Anaheim rumours rising again.lol

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I wouldn’t mind finding a way to get Sandin in the fold here.

Kerfoot is another guy that would make sense, just don’t know how to make it work cap wise.

Offer sheet.lol $2mil Dubas, there's his contract. You got no money. We'll trade him back for Kerfoot.

*I would not last as a GM.lol

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Bottom 3 guy I'd say. I'd prefer Lucic personally.

We need better answers than PTOs regardless.

Eakin is good in face off circle and good on the PK. Not really going to move the needle much at this point, but still a good depth guy to have.

28 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Flames had Brad Richardson last year. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they had interest in Eakin, he's much better than Richardson

Wouldn't be high on my priority list, but I also won't be shocked if they were to sign or give him a PTO.

I've been surprised to see some line guesses having Rozie at RW. He has never played wing to my knowledge.

Need him to come through so hoping we don't need an alternative.

I personally want him to come through so I can say, see @JTech780 you were wrong about him 5yrs ago.lol

Ex-Sting guy, gotta cheer on the homeboy.