2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What if the hold up on Monahan is he has to waive his NTC?

There are moving parts.  Monahan isn't going to block a move unless it's a crap team.  I think there is a piece coming back and something going on with a 3rd team.  May include Valimaki. 

What if it was Monahan + Valimaki for Dvorak?  Maybe that includes a pick that is currently conditional (like 2025).  

At 5 on 5 last year the Leafs had the 5th worst save % in the league. 

In all situation they were 11th worst. 

Jack Campbell played in over half of their games. 

Campbell was only slightly better in 5 on 5 save % last year than Koskinen. Smith outplayed him. Campbell had the 7th worst high danger save % at 5 on 5. Both Oilers goalies were better and the Leafs were one of the better teams in the league last year in preventing high danger chances. 

Not only is it debatable they upgrade it's debatable they are not worse. 

Friedman and Steinberg have both been on the fan 960. Sounds like the deal is complicated but right now the expectation is it is likely the Florida pick going the other way and Flames will get something back but they don't know what. 

Don't believe it is a roster player though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Friedman and Steinberg have both been on the fan 960. Sounds like the deal is complicated but right now the expectation is it is likely the Florida pick going the other way and Flames will get something back but they don't know what. 

Don't believe it is a roster player though. 

Weirdest trade ever.  Monahan to MTL confirmed... But let's hammer out the exact details later.

53 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Alot of have said media persay is the kadri that was in toronto isnt the Kadri now he was young and immature the Kadri that won the cup has grown up alot now yes he a little crude but he is alot better

and actually even then his stats were good in TO.. remember he was a 2-3 center there .. still getting 20-30 goals..  yes he had brain cramps, but as you said he was young.. and the stuff he got suspended for was usually retaliating for a teammate.. he'd learned better..   no different than a young chucky spearing a guy off he bench 

I would expect to see something along the lines of the Marleau trade. Similar cap hits and similar situation IMO. 

Marleau went to the Canes for a 1st and a 7th and the Leafs got a 6th in return. Suspect the final Monahan deal will look something like that although at this point i'd expect some conditions on the picks 

Hat Hello GIF by Audible

Well hats off to TRE, remarakable job. The fact we are actually better than we were a month ago on paper is less than remarkable. Have to agree with Cross there may be a gel situation but if there is not, we could come out flying. The Mony to MTL is interesting though, Currently we are 4.28 over the cap when comes off  Mony we have 2.13 left to with only Rozie left. Montreal has to ahve something else going on, as they have to clear a Mony salary to get complinant. Unless Price goes on LTIR again or they trade B Gallagher or 2 others to make it work. They obviously have a plan in place. 

I do wish Mony the best of luck the kid was a team player. This club sure looks different now. I still do not think Tre is done yet.  Is a Rodrigies, Milano or even Kessel in the works? 

I hope it's just the Florida pick (which already has a bunch of conditions attached to it) or Flames getting the condition of taking the better pick. 

Its not impossible for me to see a scenario where that Florida pick winds up a top 15 picks by then. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I was expecting that... Pacioretty trade 

I look at it as we traded Sean Monahan and a first for Kadri..   works for me...  And Monahan gets a destination he deserves ..not banished to Arizona or something .. he played in Ottawa he's practically home 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I hope it's just the Florida pick (which already has a bunch of conditions attached to it) or Flames getting the condition of taking the better pick. 

Its not impossible for me to see a scenario where that Florida pick winds up a top 15 picks by then. 

Sounds like it's the Florida pick and the conditions that comes with it .. nothing extra 

I can see why the trade took a while. The conditions are pretty complex. 

The long and the short of it though is the Flames protected themselves, best they could, for either pick being in the lottery. 

And there is a possibility of the pick being in 2024, 2025 or 2026

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/canadiens-acquire-sean-monahan-from-flames/c-335312254?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=CHCcontent&utm_content=EN-0818-SeanMonahan-Release

Here are the conditions associated with the first-round selection acquired by Montreal:

1. In the event Calgary's own 2024 first (1st) round choice is selection 20-32 (inclusive) (following the determination of the 2024 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall have the option, exercisable until 48 hours prior to the start of the 2024 NHL draft, to exchange the conditional 2025 or 2026 first round choice to become Calgary's own 2024 first (1st) round choice); or,

If Florida's 2025 First (1st) Round Choice Transfers to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

2. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal's option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

• A) If both Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice (previously acquired by Calgary) are not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall receive the earlier of the two (2) stated choices; or,
  • B) If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection and Florida's 2025 first round selection (previously acquired by Calgary) is outside of the top-10 selections (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice).

If Florida's 2025 First Round Choice DOES NOT Transfer to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

3. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal's option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

A. If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice, and additionally,

• 1) If Florida's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results); and,
  • 2) Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice has been transferred to another NHL Club; and,
  • 3) Florida's 2025 first round draft position is better than Calgary's 2025 first round draft position; then Calgary will transfer their own 2025 fourth round choice to Montreal.

B. If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary's 2025 first (1st) round choice, subject to the following condition below:

• 1) In the event Calgary's 2025 first (1st) round choice is the first (1st) selection overall in the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Calgary will retain its own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Montreal shall instead receive Calgary's own 2025 third (3rd) round choice and a conditional 2026 first (1st) round choice. Montreal shall receive the better of Calgary's 2026 first (1st) round choice or Florida's 2026 first (1st) round choice (following the determination of the 2026 NHL Draft lottery results) (previously conditionally acquired by Calgary).

1 minute ago, The_Snowbear said:

Not to ask a dumb Question what are future considerations mean in terms of what we get like anyone that montreal wants to give

Normally there is a list of players the Habs provide and Calgary can pick someone off of that list at a future time to complete the trade. 

Don't hold your breath it will be anyone of value though. 

2 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Not to ask a dumb Question what are future considerations mean in terms of what we get like anyone that montreal wants to give

It's really a legal out, since you can't trade a player for nothing.

You could say it was for a bag of pucks or a free car wash.

Same value.