2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

57 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I've been surprised to see some line guesses having Rozie at RW. He has never played wing to my knowledge.

Need him to come through so hoping we don't need an alternative.

I personally want him to come through so I can say, see @JTech780 you were wrong about him 5yrs ago.lol

Ex-Sting guy, gotta cheer on the homeboy.

Ruzicka is going to be a regular this year. He's no longer waiver exempt, he's a player that I doubt passes through. 

I'd love to see him get a shot as the 3rd line C

• Like 1

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I've been surprised to see some line guesses having Rozie at RW. He has never played wing to my knowledge.

Need him to come through so hoping we don't need an alternative.

I personally want him to come through so I can say, see @JTech780 you were wrong about him 5yrs ago.lol

Ex-Sting guy, gotta cheer on the homeboy.

Ruzicka is listed as C/RW on capfriendly.  I do believe he's played some RW in the AHL.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Ruzicka is going to be a regular this year. He's no longer waiver exempt, he's a player that I doubt passes through. 

I'd love to see him get a shot as the 3rd line C

I wonder what's the hold up on contract talks.  I'd like to do $900k x 2 years.  He needs to prove he can play in the top 6 before he gets more money.  In case he has a break out year this coming season, then we get him for one more year on the cheap.

First, everyone knows I’m not a huge fan of trading Monahan….one major reason has to do with injuries which I think have hurt his performance the past few years and ultimately his value…

personally I think keeping him, and letting him play is the the best option cause either he rebounds and suddenly everyone wants to keep him (in an ideal world) or He doesn’t rebound but if at least shows he can be healthy a team in need of a solid FO Ctr may take him if healthy, especially where his contract expires soon…in either case he’d have more value later than now…

unless….

I did get to thinking, maybe conditions could be added in, kinda like games played and pt production bench marks could make a move possible and help ease the hesitation of other teams with the salary especially where health is a possible issue, which has also hindered Monahan’s production…maybe with conditions Monahan’s trade value could be much higher, clearly not quite as hugs as a 2-3 years ago but probably a lot closer to a point where trading him may make some sense? 

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ruzicka is listed as C/RW on capfriendly.  I do believe he's played some RW in the AHL.

That comes as a very big surprise to me. I have never seen him play wing. I honestly don't think he has. Maybe PP in the A with Gawdin at C? If he has played wing, it's extremely limited. Never in jr did he play wing.

I guess CF is why some bloggers have him at RW.

He has not been a RWer that I've ever seen.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I wonder what's the hold up on contract talks.  I'd like to do $900k x 2 years.  He needs to prove he can play in the top 6 before he gets more money.  In case he has a break out year this coming season, then we get him for one more year on the cheap.

BT may be doing a Lamoriello impression 😏 At this point, and given what Steinberg has said, Ruzie and Weegs may already have contracts in hand, but BT is giving himself some cap flexibility to continue his pursuit of improving the team. We’ve been linked to a few UFAs. There’s still the Kadri situation - even though I doubt we’re in the mix - but not filing these “done” contracts allows BT some much needed cap maneuverability - especially with so many teams at or above the cap. 

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

BT still has some cards to play. My guess is that's why he also hasn't inked Weegar yet. 

Imo, something is up, I don't know what, but BT is always in on everything. He's keeping options open I think.

You'd think Rozie's an easy one.

He's a solid GM, somebody put a bug on his phone.lol

I'm really believing that my 2 fave teams have my 2 fave GMs. Complete silence until they make an announcement.

Dealing in good faith goes a looong way in the old boys club. I'd say Burke and Maloney did a great job of bringing BT into the GM fold.

He has truculence.lol

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Players without arbitration rights have no leverage and no deadline so there really is no motivation to discuss contract. Team probably wants him to take his qualifying offer, he probably wants something different, but they have other priorities to worry about. 

I doubt its a "hold up" so much as it is just such a low priority item. 

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

First, everyone knows I’m not a huge fan of trading Monahan….one major reason has to do with injuries which I think have hurt his performance the past few years and ultimately his value…

personally I think keeping him, and letting him play is the the best option cause either he rebounds and suddenly everyone wants to keep him (in an ideal world) or He doesn’t rebound but if at least shows he can be healthy a team in need of a solid FO Ctr may take him if healthy, especially where his contract expires soon…in either case he’d have more value later than now…

unless….

I did get to thinking, maybe conditions could be added in, kinda like games played and pt production bench marks could make a move possible and help ease the hesitation of other teams with the salary especially where health is a possible issue, which has also hindered Monahan’s production…maybe with conditions Monahan’s trade value could be much higher, clearly not quite as hugs as a 2-3 years ago but probably a lot closer to a point where trading him may make some sense? 

If I'm not mistaken, only after a certain age can production bonuses be added ..

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

unless….

NHL contracts are guaranteed and therefore cannot be modified. Well technically speaking they could be but you would have to have the player and the NHLPA agree to it which I would say is a zero % chance of happening. 

You can have trade conditions where games played and production could affect the compensation but Monahan's contract can't be modified. 

I read a couple rumors this morning and this is just me connecting the dots. 👀

Boston was approached by “a team” with a trade offer for Craig Smith. The trade was put on the back burner due to Boston being over the cap currently (this implies to me that the player coming back in the trade to Boston makes at least the same salary if not more). Craig Smith isn’t a hot commodity, and given the cap constraints of almost every team in the league, I can’t help but link him to us. Possible? Yes. Probable? It’s debatable. 

Someone close to NYI has reported that the Islanders have had talks with MTL to ship Beaullivier to them. NYI is apparently adamant they will not take any salary back. They are essentially looking at moving Beaullivier as a “cap dump” according to the source (I’m assuming picks/prospects as a return). The issue is that MTL doesn’t have cap space ($200k available) and they’re trying to move out salary first. Apparently MTL has been trying to move out Dvorak, Hoffman, and/or Armia. Beaullivier and Dvorak would be potential targets. Again, with so many teams at or above the cap, BT may be playing hardball and not budging on his offers for either of these players. 

Im curious however if we will see a bunch of trades go down once the season opens due to teams being allowed to put players on LTIR and benefit from more cap flexibility. 🤔

Wow.... i am very shocked. I did hear a few days ago that Calgary was still very much a player for him but I didn't think it would actually happen.

The contract is gonna suck but honestly I don't' care. The Flames have players in place right now and Kadri fills such a massive need on this club that I'm totally fine with saying the heck with money and worrying about it down the road. The next 3-5 years looks promising for the Flames and as long as they draft well it's not that difficult to work around bad money for a few years down the road. 

Are they a cup contender? Not sure but they are looking like a heck of a team. Pushing some bad money out a bunch of years is worth it IMO. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Wow.... i am very shocked. I did hear a few days ago that Calgary was still very much a player for him but I ddin't think it would come to this.

The contract is gonna suck but honestly I don't' care anymore. The Flames have players in place right now and Kadri fills such a massive need on this club that I'm totally fine with saying the heck with money and worrying about it down the road. The next 3-5 years looks promising for the Flames and as long as they draft well it's not that difficult to work around bad money for a few years down the road. 

Right on man.  The window is now.  Go all in for the next 2-3 years.  Worry about what happens with the cap during the next rebuild.

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's pretty obvious that Monahan is going to have to go here. Both in terms of cap and roster construction.

I would expect the Flames are going to need to put a sweetener in the deal to do it. 

I just hope for his sake its a good deal for him, he deserves a good landing spot