2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's pretty obvious that Monahan is going to have to go here. Both in terms of cap and roster construction.

I would expect the Flames are going to need to put a sweetener in the deal to do it. 

Literally what is MTL trying to do?  Rebuilding but trying to win the Cup at the same time.

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Let’s worry about the future later, let’s go for it now!

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Kadri-Coleman

Pelletier-Backkund-Dube

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

That top 9 and down the middle look fantastic!

We need more RHS.  Sutter seems to want two RHS C at the very least.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe Monahan + Hanifin for Josh Anderson?

Nope, do not want Anderson.  Straight up I wouldn't do Hanifin for Anderson and I would think Hanifin has more value than as a sweetener in a cap dump trade.

• Like 1

Now if we could only get Roy out of Vegas. For Valimaki and a pick as a sweetener.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli

Mangiapane - Kadri - Roy

Dube - Backlund - Coleman

Pelltier - Ruzicka - Rooney

Looch and Lewis as extras on a need be basis 

Hannifin - Anderson 

Kylington - Tanev

Zadorov - Weegar

Mackey and Meloche

Markstrom

Vladar

Not a lot of holes there

4 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

Now if we could only get Roy out of Vegas. For Valimaki and a pick as a sweetener.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli

Mangiapane - Kadri - Roy

Dube - Backlund - Coleman

Pelltier - Ruzicka - Rooney

Looch and Lewis as extras on a need be basis 

Hannifin - Anderson 

Kylington - Tanev

Zadorov - Weegar

Mackey and Meloche

Markstrom

Vladar

Not a lot of holes there

Don't think he's high on Vegas list to move out with that 4 year deal they just gave, I would also think if they did it would be to get a goalie.

• Like 1

Flames were lacking a center who can move the puck in transition and someone who is very good at distributing the puck. Kadri is very good at both of those things. 

he isn't perfect and it's a bad contract but the skill set is a close to a perfect fit as you can get for what the Flames needed. 

Something that may be getting overlooked in acquiring Kadri is that he has been historically good at neutering McDavid and Crosby. Essentially, elite players. 

Additionally, many of the “intangibles” we “lost” in Tkachuk have been re-acquired in Kadri. 👍🏻

And I am very happy with the contract $. Many were projecting Kadri to get $8-$9M. Chucky got over $9. I’m happy with Kadri @ $7M 

hmm!

Exciting...

Initial impressions.....

mixed.   Kadri has only had one good NHL season.   But if he has chemistry with Huberdeau, that's all you need.
             What will Kadri be in 7 years....  I always hate the 30 year old signings But...

To be fair:

Gaudreau+Tkachuk    <<  Huberdeau+Kadri+Weegar        (even more pronounced in playoff hockey)

I actually must say our 2022-2023 lineup, while a lot older, is recovered from the offseason losses.

And.....in terms of playoff peformance, we have less turtles and more show-ups.

The price we paid:  We are older and more expensive.  So mixed feellings.   But given BT's objectives, he nailed this.

Two followup questions:

1.   What is this talk of us giving up a 1st rounder though????  Why would we do this

2.  How do we get a #1 D now?  We've come this far whether I agree with it or not.  The #1D is the last missing piece.   

(if we pretend our net situation is covered)

• Like 1

As much as I thought we weren't going to be able to win a bid for Kadri, I was secretly hoping for a major piece coming back in.  Lose two wingers, gain a top winger and a top C.  Not bad.  The Monahan move was expected by many and makes sense anyway.  There wasn't enough evidence that he could recover and be a top 6 winger, which we needed.  I just hope that he can be a decent C for them and get a new deal.  Hope we didn't have to sweeten the pot too much.

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

To be fair:

Gaudreau+Tkachuk    <<  Huberdeau+Kadri+Weegar        (even more pronounced in playoff hockey)

I actually must say our 2022-2023 lineup, while a lot older, is recovered from the offseason losses.

And.....in terms of playoff peformance, we have less turtles and more show-ups.

That's really all you can look at.  What is Tkachuk's future as a hockey player?  What will become of Gaudreau.  I don't think they are superstars outside the Flames environment.  So, we would have decresing assets in the two of them, possibly not getting back to the level of last year (almost certainly).  

So, we have two players that can be the nucleus of two lines.  Which we sorely lacked, even though Mange was able to score at will for part of the year.  We now have two scoring lines and a Backlund line.  

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Two followup questions:

1.   What is this talk of us giving up a 1st rounder though????  Why would we do this

2.  How do we get a #1 D now?  We've come this far whether I agree with it or not.  The #1D is the last missing piece.   

(if we pretend our net situation is covered)

I would really not want to give up the 2023 1st round pick.  But maybe the 2024 one.

But ya dumping $6.3-mil was never going to be cheap.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's really all you can look at.  What is Tkachuk's future as a hockey player?  What will become of Gaudreau.  I don't think they are superstars outside the Flames environment.  So, we would have decresing assets in the two of them, possibly not getting back to the level of last year (almost certainly).  

So, we have two players that can be the nucleus of two lines.  Which we sorely lacked, even though Mange was able to score at will for part of the year.  We now have two scoring lines and a Backlund line.  

I must agree Gaudreau and Tkachuk were almost "must trades", superstars or not (and they might be), they always dropped a notch in the playoffs and you just cannot have that.  Especially at their age.

Gaudreau wasn't a "must give away for free" lol.    But BT has come as close as one possibly could to rectifying that.

In terms of what we can look at, we most certainly will look back at this in a few years with old aging players on boat anchor contracts, and ask why we didn't take prospects or picks.   Prospects/picks was imho the right move.   

But if you're not going to do that, and if the objective has to be "win now"....

then from that perspective, yes.   BT knocked it out of the park

• Like 1

Let me put this acquisition into perspective

1. Imagine what it would cost us to trade for a Barzal, or Miller, or Dvorak. 

2. Now imagine that a “trade” for Kadri cost us Sean Monahan (injured and on the final year of his contract) and a 1st rounder, for 7 years of service of Kadri. 

I can soooo live with that.