2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

I like the line debates, but how about the PP?

I would probably go with

Huby-Lindholm-Mang

Kadri-Weegsy

Toffoli-Dube-?

Hanifin-Andersson

I'm back and forth on who to play D on unit 1.  I think you can keep Backlund on #2, but I think it'd be good to cut down his time a little bit.  I would give the last F on unit 2 to whoever fills out the roster as I imagine one of Pelletier-Ruzicka or Phillips will be on the team, if it is Ruzicka I'd put him in the middle and move Dube to the wing .

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Huberdeau is very good at carrying the puck and good at transition.

He is very effective in transition but he doesn't prefer the puck on his stick or rushing with the puck. A lot of one touch passes and puck movement through the zone. I think he'll excel with someone on his line who likes to bring the puck through the zone. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He is very effective in transition but he doesn't prefer the puck on his stick or rushing with the puck. A lot of one touch passes and puck movement through the zone. I think he'll excel with someone on his line who likes to bring the puck through the zone. 

I think you'll see way more D transition this year .. TBH I like that , everybody knew Johnny was bringing that puck in 

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

Something that may be getting overlooked in acquiring Kadri is that he has been historically good at neutering McDavid and Crosby. Essentially, elite players. 

Additionally, many of the “intangibles” we “lost” in Tkachuk have been re-acquired in Kadri. 👍🏻

And I am very happy with the contract $. Many were projecting Kadri to get $8-$9M. Chucky got over $9. I’m happy with Kadri @ $7M 

Did Kadri shut down McDavid in the playoffs?  I didn't watch that series.  If so, then we've got ourselves an answer to the Oilers moving forward.  And hopefully Weegar and a healthy Tanev would get it done.

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

At the end of the day it’s all just splitting hairs and I think signing Kadri gives them so many more options in their top 6.

It would be nice to add another RW for the top 9, and maybe Armia or someone comes back in the deal from Montreal.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

At the end of the day it’s all just splitting hairs and I think signing Kadri gives them so many more options in their top 6.

It would be nice to add another RW for the top 9, and maybe Armia or someone comes back in the deal from Montreal.

Yup and it's just what I would start with because it intrigues me the most because I think the lineups I posted are the most complimentary in terms of skill sets. 

Doesn't mean it's the way it has to be. I think there will be a lot of experimenting as there are a ton of options with so many players being able to play different roles. Sutter has to be thrilled at that part. 

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Did Kadri shut down McDavid in the playoffs?  I didn't watch that series.  If so, then we've got ourselves an answer to the Oilers moving forward.  And hopefully Weegar and a healthy Tanev would get it done.

Hard to say 1 game they gave up 6 goals the next was a shutout and then Kadri was knocked out early in game 3 and missed game 4.

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

Hard to say 1 game they gave up 6 goals the next was a shutout and then Kadri was knocked out early in game 3 and missed game 4.

Well given the Oilers were able to bring back Kane and upgraded in G, I had them as the #1 team in the division... But if Kadri can shut down McDavid then that changes everything in our favour.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well given the Oilers were able to bring back Kane and upgraded in G, I had them as the #1 team in the division... But if Kadri can shut down McDavid then that changes everything in our favour.

I think this is really debatable. IMO they did not upgrade in goal. 

I think the Flames are the better team now. My only hesitation on saying they will win the division is it won't shock me if it takes them a long time to get going. They've turned over a quarter of their roster and in so many key spots.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I remember when we tried to trade Brodie for Kadri, there was a spotlight on Kadri on SN or TSN where in one segment they were interviewing him about his ability to keep Crosby and McDavid off the score sheet consistently. They were prying into how he does it, and I remember Kadri was coy about it, laughing it off. He paid recognition that they’re the best players in the world and simply said it’s his job to make it hard for them to do what they like to do. I remember him saying there’s no formula to what he does, he just tries to match the compete level of those two superstars. The show posted some stats showing how well Kadri did to limit their points against the leafs, and if I’m not mistaken, one of Crosby or McDavid was a minus player against Kadri. It’s something that stands out in my memory. 

And, for the record, I was against trading for Kadri back then. I had my reasons, and information that I will not share here. However, I see he’s matured somewhat and he can better straddle that line with his antics. He will more than make up for the loss of Chucky IMO. 

14 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I remember when we tried to trade Brodie for Kadri, there was a spotlight on Kadri on SN or TSN where in one segment they were interviewing him about his ability to keep Crosby and McDavid off the score sheet consistently. They were prying into how he does it, and I remember Kadri was coy about it, laughing it off. He paid recognition that they’re the best players in the world and simply said it’s his job to make it hard for them to do what they like to do. I remember him saying there’s no formula to what he does, he just tries to match the compete level of those two superstars. The show posted some stats showing how well Kadri did to limit their points against the leafs, and if I’m not mistaken, one of Crosby or McDavid was a minus player against Kadri. It’s something that stands out in my memory. 

And, for the record, I was against trading for Kadri back then. I had my reasons, and information that I will not share here. However, I see he’s matured somewhat and he can better straddle that line with his antics. He will more than make up for the loss of Chucky IMO. 

Well we also had Giordano who had some personal beef with Kadri so it would've made for a tough locker room situation.

I do feel Kadri's defensive game is under rated.  He's a solid two-way guy.  He plays his opponents tough and plays on the edge which gets into the heads of his opponents.  It's not going to be as easy as playing Backlund.

I think  there are some moving pieces not even mentioned.  Kadri was step 1.  Monahan going to MTL is step 2, but that still leaves MTL with cap issues.  We could take salry back if the player coming from MTL could be moved to a 3rd team.  In theory, no 1st going out.  We also have an excess of D that could be used to offset.

52 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Meh, I don't see Campbell as an upgrade to the combo of Koskinen and Smith.  They may have an equivalent to a full year of Smith, but their backup is nothing.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Meh, I don't see Campbell as an upgrade to the combo of Koskinen and Smith.  They may have an equivalent to a full year of Smith, but their backup is nothing.

Ive told my oiler buddies the same thing. They will get more consistency from Campbell perhaps, but as much we love to hate on the guy, Smith was in peak form in the playoffs .again .. and Campbell isnt as good as Smith at his best  

7 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Ive told my oiler buddies the same thing. They will get more consistency from Campbell perhaps, but as much we love to hate on the guy, Smith was in peak form in the playoffs .again .. and Campbell isnt as good as Smith at his best  

I never got the hate for Kostco.  He was solid last year and one of the only reasons they managed to make the playoffs.  Sure, Smith came in and did a great job to finish the season and the playoffs, but they would have been eliminated by December unless Kostco was there.  Is Skinner even close to the level of Kostco, their #2 goalie.  Not even close.  He may be able to win some games, but he never faced quality opponents last year.

Soup was on the same trajectory as Markstrom for part if the season, without the shutouts and stealing games.  Both were playing well behind solid D.  Marky was a MVP, while Soup was darn good.  Soup was only good up to the 40 game point at most.  That might even be generous.  

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What if the hold up on Monahan is he has to waive his NTC?

It's only a 10 team no trade. Be a bit surprised if Montreal was on it and even more surprised if it got to this point if he wasn't going to waive because without that trade Flames can't sign Kadri. Well the technically can but they'd be semi screwed trying to get under the cap. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

i prefer that kind of hockey I think. I mean, if everyone is moving, most players shouldn't be carrying the puck for more than a few seconds anyway.